Disney to aquire Lucasfilm!

Etapi

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

/shrug. Canon's what I make it at this point. The ability to selectively choose what forms "my" canon has gotten me through the messes that were LOTF and FOTJ. If this is a bombshell to the EU, that same ability will help me build things from the shelled mess.

They'd have to take a lot of artistic license to make a new Big Three adventure and even if they did, timeline could mean anything. If we lost Truce at Bakura or something, I don't think I'd care.

There are some novels we could do without. I'm worried the most about a Thrawn movie. The Thrawn books were the best in my opinion. The movie would probably be good, but the novels could suffer for it. Depending on what content they use for the movie.

Not that a Thrawn movie is coming out or anything. Just thinking out loud.

Holy ****! I did not think we would see a new Stars Movie for a long long time. I remember reading that Lucas was seriously thinking about making a new movie about Luke's nephew, Cade Skywalker. The movie was supposed to be a bit more edgy, and a nod to the older SW fans. It all sounded great until Lucas's movie Red Tails got slammed by critics and fans. Lucas then basically said the fans will never be happy, and that he was done making movies. After all that happened I figured we would not see another SW movie until after Lucas died. I think this is awesome news! I just hope Disney will diced to go the Cade Skywalker route. I mean Disney did alright with the PG-13 Pirates of the Caribbean movie (The first one anyway) Edited by CharleyDanger

There are some novels we could do without. I'm worried the most about a Thrawn movie. The Thrawn books were the best in my opinion. The movie would probably be good, but the novels could suffer for it. Depending on what content they use for the movie.

Still, Thrawn's story would be the best at this point I think. Right time frame, and a fantastic story.

So any idea of the fate of this game now that Disney owns Lucasfilm?

no idea but they do also own Lucas Arts as well so who knows.

It could mean they shut it down but i doubt it. Disney is more likely to invest more money in the game then EA is.

We probably won't find out till a long time from now, like 6 months to a year.

In other news though this might mean we get a Battlefront 3.

I don't know how everyone feels about this but I think its a good move on old Georgie to let go of the franchise.

Disney did buy out Marvel Entertainment and gave us the wonderful Avenger, Iron-Man, and the new Spiderman movies, which I thought were great.

Disney is already talking about creating another movie in the Star Wars franchise that is suppose to come out as early as 2015.

Article is here

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/disney-buying-lucasfilm-4-05-billion-200845002--finance.html

Edited by Asturias

Still, Thrawn's story would be the best at this point I think. Right time frame, and a fantastic story.

it's a good story but I don't think it's cinematic enough. I'm actually reading it again.. or at least listening to the audio books while I drive to work. Yes they could make the characters all younger using computers but I think most likely they will just come up with a new story set 40 years after the last one. This way they have the original cast and they can introduce the cast for the next 5 or 6 movies with them.

Probably. I would hope that they stick closely to the novels, though. Thrawn is an awesome character and the books surrounding him are still awesome.

Maybe it's just me. I don't like seeing retcons. I'm resistant to ch-ch-ch-changes! :D

For the sake of accuracy... which is lacking in this forum as usual....

LucasFilm purchased for 4Billion US. LucasArts (a LucasFilm subsidiary) aquired as part of the deal.

LucasArts does not produce the films. LucasFilm produces the films.

Nearly every novel in the EU contradicts that statement though, including the Darth Plagueis novel.

Yes, I know there are different levels of canon and what Lucas says is the highest, G-canon. But since he creates so many contradictions and no longer owns the franchise I can see the established EU lore taking precedent from now on.

Imagine a boat (A Galaxy far, far, away) sailing on the smooth calm seas (the Force). Then some unruly passengers (Sith) begin to rock the boat creating large waves and making conditions very poor for those inside and outside the boat. Finally after a long period of time one of the unruly passengers realizes he's being an *** (Anakin) and tosses the other unruly passenger (Palpatine) out of the boat. They both end up falling in the water. Once the ripple in the water from their deaths diminishes the water once again returns to its former peaceful state. Balance.

The force is just an energy field how you choose to use it determines whether your using the light side or the dark of your soul.

I only hope that Disney doesn't release the hounds against those who utilize different Star Wars related media for their independent videos on YouTube such as lightsabers, sound effects, and video clips. Would be a shame to lose the fan video aspect of the Star Wars community because of Disney being greedy.

I adore the Thrawn trilogy (and the rest of the related Zahn books) as well, but I really doubt they'd simply bring one of the novel series to film. Certainly they'll create an entirely new story, though they could certainly put some "nods" to the books in the film. It does bring up the question as to how it would fit within the EU series, as I doubt that anyone wants to see their favorite books suddenly become irrelevant.

Also, I wonder if this has any impact on the "Underworld" series that they've been working on, since it's been described as a "mature" series and Disney doesn't typically like to have their name on mature titles.

Canon rules would also have to change. Let's take a Thrawn movie for example. Let's say they draw some content from the trilogy, but they change some other things. Do we retcon the books or keep some of the content canon? The EU is going to change no matter what they do. The safest thing (continuity-wise) would be for them to make a movie that takes place after Legacy comics or during a period not explored in novels and comics.

I think its more likely they will just completely rewrite the EU. Aside from pissing off a small portion of the Star Wars fan base you have to look at what Disney is doing.

Just like with Marvel they are creating a HUGE trans media, shared universe. They want to make it their own. So they may use some pieces of the EU and some characters I would expect the most of the EU stuff to go away

I guess the bottom line I'm getting at is that the works exist. And readers, viewers, etc..can and always have been and always will be able selective craft their own canon, as it were. Would it be the "official" thing? Not really. But that doesn't matter any more than a writer telling you what their book is really about. The book is about what you found reading it. "Canon", on a personal level at least, works much in the same fashion.

Officially? Not as much. But say a Thrawn trilogy does come out. Say it massively retcons things to a point that it utterly karks up the source material. You can just, personally, stick with the source material. No power in the world can stop you from doing that.

Conversely, there just becomes a clear delineation and change of the rules. "This is novel canon. This is film canon."

That sort of thing.

Edited by AlyxDinas

Expect the movies to end up in that idiot 'Vault' of theirs, where you won't be able to buy them except during their overpriced once-every-ten-years release window.

We can probably expect more JarJar, and likely see Leia and Padme added to their 'Princess' collection as well.

I adore the Thrawn trilogy (and the rest of the related Zahn books) as well, but I really doubt they'd simply bring one of the novel series to film. Certainly they'll create an entirely new story, though they could certainly put some "nods" to the books in the film. It does bring up the question as to how it would fit within the EU series, as I doubt that anyone wants to see their favorite books suddenly become irrelevant.

Also, I wonder if this has any impact on the "Underworld" series that they've been working on, since it's been described as a "mature" series and Disney doesn't typically like to have their name on mature titles.

exactly I could see them making a movie where Thrawn is a major villian but I don't see them making a direct movie of it.

the wonderful Advenger, Iron-Man, and the new Spiderman movies, which I thought were great.

*Avengers

I agree with the rest. I'm just busy laughing at his older comments about how "we will never see any new Star Wars movies".

Oh how a few billions can change your mind, huh George?

Well, Disney does make good movies, and we all know that they are a very strong business. Seeing the value of the Star Wars name, you could almost safely make an assumption that they will invest wisely in the movies with high quality writing and good directors/producers.

exactly disney are professionals,,shrek series was good

the original tron movie,,disney,,black hole movie,,disney

and more important: disney is family oriented,,which i feel star wars should be too

and this is only lucasmovie,,im not sure how this will affect this game