Legacy Names no longer unique

mrpayday

Legacy names were used more as identifiers than anything else really, as they are in-game right now.

Making them non-unique just makes them completely meaningless now in my opinion.

Like I said: Silly.

QS

If they were used as identifiers then why could people turn them off? Why are the full names not displayed in the friends lists or guild lists? They are not identifiers and they serve that purpose even worse than they do as RP surnames.

Edited by Fettered

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right, so when we transfered voluntarily to another server, I had to change my legacy name but now you're going to merge servers you're gonna screw me over and say, too bad for you, you can't have your old legacy name but every idiot that creates a new account gets to use your old name or any of them.

How about a solution for that one....well, no. I don't do threats, so consider this the final straw that broke the camel's back and I will unsub right now. This just is such poor judgment. Instead of rewarding loyal customers you are now penalising them? No thanks. This just ticks me off.

Here's the OP... see if you can spot the sentence you missed the first time around.

"Legacy names are no longer unique. New Legacies that are created are now able to use a name that is already in use on the server. All players will be able to rename their Legacies once, at no cost, in a future update."

You're unsubbing because of your inability to read correctly. This is hardly BioWare's fault.

Edited by Kubernetic

Horrible idea that will only lead to more problems, as said you should of unlocked first names and locked the Legacy ones. You already forced people to change because of Transfers so just leave it alone. Plus, if this is all for the F2P players than it's extra stupid... Legacy should be for Paying members only.

The number of people on the main servers with legacy names far outnumbers the number of people still actively playing on the desolate servers who already have legacy names. So you chose to upset the larger percentage of players, without even getting any input from those players in advance? Not really a wise business decision. Couldn't you just have given some free Cartel Coins to the few people forced to re-name a legacy upon the forced server merge?

Also, you guys opened this mess up to a far broader scope than you needed to. If you are going to permit any duplicate legacy names, then that should have been limited to the narrow window of the forced server merge period, and not allowing people to create new legacies now with duplicate legacy names. Also, the ability to duplicate legacy names should be turned off immediately following the forced server merges. If this is the sole reason for allowing duplicate legacy names then the practice should be discontinued immediately after the need for it is gone. If you're going to make a really bad decision, at least try to limit the damage.

This. And I'd say this is just a follow-up in a series of bad decisions that are putting the players in an awkward place. They should be focusing on new content (regularly - to no avail though) to actually keep the current player base playing instead of gambling as in pushing some/luring some players with changes to currently fine features that shouldn't be prioritized. Players who stuck with the game from the start are almost being punished right now in preparation to F2P.

If they were used as identifiers then why could people turn them off? Why are the full names not displayed in the friends lists or guild lists? They are not identifiers and they serve that purpose even worse than they do as RP surnames.

I'm just saying, the only visible thing anyone could see of your own Legacy was the Legacy name, if you chose to display it, which could act as an identifier if you so chose.

Now, if anyone can have my legacy name, what is the point in displaying it at all? It no longer acts reliably as an identifier and therefore the only actual visible application of it loses any of its meaning.

You are essentially removing any possible meaning/usefulness the Legacy name had, surely?

QS

Edited by quantumsheep

Horrible idea that will only lead to more problems, as said you should of unlocked first names and locked the Legacy ones. You already forced people to change because of Transfers so just leave it alone. Plus, if this is all for the F2P players than it's extra stupid... Legacy should be for Paying members only.

I totaly agree, I was told by someone that FTP players wont be able to access the legacy table, I beg to differ, all this is set up for FTP players comming in soon. I agree leave the legacy to paying players, Also thos who have founder titles should have their legacy names protected.

i am not one to come here and complain but i have to voice my feelings on this one.

What are you guys doing now? Letting others use our legacy names?!!

I am very unhappy on this one. Infact, i am pissed off. I have had a steady sub since beta and feel i am a loyal customer,this decision SUCKS -period

Edited by Oneknife

As a roleplayer, I am so furious and upset! Dammit, why does this have to happen! :mad:

I honestly don't even know what else to say or argue, i'm so insignificant BioWare wouldn't even care what I have to say or care how I feel about all of this. :(

Edited by DuckKing

These guys HAD to know there would be a huge resistance to this idea,and obviously ,they dont care. Are you guys getting this desparate to please the ftp people? Is this the first in a long line of obvious slights to the loyal fanbase??

Slippery slope.

If that were the case then the logical step would've been to make first names non-unique and tied to a unique legacy name. First names are by far a greater point of contention than Legacy names ever were.

That was exactly my thought as well. Very confusing.

My hope for this is that they are going to make legacies account-wide instead of server-wide, and in that case I guess I could see the desire for them to not be unique? Not sure.

The idea of them being because of forced transfers is silly and I really hope that's not the case.

I do find it funny that to complain or say you don't like something is suddenly considered raging. I'm not raging about it, I'm just a little miffed. o_O

As a roleplayer, I am so furious and upset! Dammit, why does this have to happen! :mad:

I honestly don't even know what else to say or argue, i'm so insignificant BioWare wouldn't even care what I have to say or care how I feel about all of this. :(

As a roleplayer the Legacy names have been worthless to me already. Identifying my Chiss BH as a member of the same family as my Human Jedi or my Twi'lek smuggler has always flown in the face of logic.

So someone can call themselves "Joe Fettered" so what. Half of my character don't show their last name anyways because from an RP standpoint it doesn't make any sense. My guild can't use the name to identify me since I have it turned off, in fact it doesn't even display in the Guild list, we have to use the guild notes to put which alt is which. Non-unique legacy names isn't going to fix any of these damn issues or make them worse.

Due to the lack of customisation while creating a character everyone looks the same in this game! Now the only thing that made us unique is being stripped away from us. It's like, BioWare couldn't warn us or give us any input first about this issue.

Words cannot express how angry I am! :mad:

As much as i hated people haveing to change their name....(i personally didnt care too much; what is in a name, a rose by any other name smells as sweet.) i hate the fact that Legacy names are no longer Unique more.

This is a terrible move and i disagree whole heartedly. It takes away from individuality and will lead to confussion. As it stands now, i enjoy catching some of my friends on alts they havent invited to the guild.

As much as i hated people having to change their name....(i personally didn't care too much. What is in a name? A rose by any other name smells as sweet.) i hate the fact that Legacy names are no longer Unique more.

This is a terrible move and i disagree wholeheartedly. It takes away from individuality and will lead to confusion. As it stands now, i enjoy catching some of my friends on alts they haven't invited to the guild.

Do you see the irony in your post? I'll point it out for you.

(i personally didn't care too much. What is in a name? A rose by any other name smells as sweet.)

This is a terrible move and i disagree wholeheartedly. It takes away from individuality...

:cool:

Edited by Blackavaar

This is correct. This is a change made exactly for the preparation of server mergers.

Not sure if you guys read this closely... but it mentions "for the preparation of server mergers". I can't imagine they're talking to the few stragglers remaining on origin servers at this point.

In other words, it seems possible/probably to me another round of server mergers may be coming. Maybe this is their fix to x-server queues in pvp. You don't need x-server queues of everyone is on the same server.

It'll be interesting if we end up with 6-8 fleet instances of 200 people each...

Not sure if you guys read this closely... but it mentions "for the preparation of server mergers". I can't imagine they're talking to the few stragglers remaining on origin servers at this point.

In other words, it seems possible/probably to me another round of server mergers may be coming. Maybe this is their fix to x-server queues in pvp. You don't need x-server queues of everyone is on the same server.

It'll be interesting if we end up with 6-8 fleet instances of 200 people each...

I think you are reading too much into what Joveth said. :cool:

Do you see the irony in your post? I'll point it out for you.

(i personally didnt care too much. What is in a name? A rose by any other name smells as sweet.)

This is a terrible move and i disagree whole heartedly. It takes away from individuality...

You dont seem to understand......

I have no problem with people changeing their name. I held no sentimental value to some imaginery characters name. I have a HUGE problem with people haveing the same name because of the way i use it and what i means for identification purposes.

Big discrepency there.......

Edited by Spatology

You dont seem to understand......

I have no problem with people changeing their name. I have a HUGE problem with people haveing the same name.

Big discrepency there.......

No, I'm pretty sure I understand perfectly. You didn't care when others had to change their names. You do care that others can now use your name, yet you quote Shakespeare saying, "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

That's irony.

Edited by Blackavaar

And why is it a bad change exactly? Granted they could have done something even better - decoupled the idea of a surname from the Legacy system all together, but what was so necessary about having unique legacy names? Did Legacy prevent people from being ******s? Nope, they could just turn off their Legacy name and act how they wanted. Did it server as an identifier for all the characters of one player? Only if they player left the legacy name on for all of their characters.

It's bad because it goes against the purpose of the legacy name. Granted it doesn't have a big game play effect, but it is clearly a fail on BW's part. They designed the legacy name as a unique identifer holding a player's characters together. Not that important and not done perfectly, but it is what it was. Now, it doesn't do that.

Now, it becomes a custom title. However, it functions quite poorly in that respect because a title to be used on all characters is even harder than a name that works for all.

About the only good use for legacy name going forward is to use a custom title for one character (or maybe more if really creative) that you want to be able display sometimes. Thus, bad.

Any change that could be accomplished as well by saying they removed a feature, and they could as easily have removed the legacy name as made it non unique, is hard to see as a positive.

Due to the lack of customisation while creating a character everyone looks the same in this game! Now the only thing that made us unique is being stripped away from us. It's like, BioWare couldn't warn us or give us any input first about this issue.

YES.

Sure people complained about losing their legacy names in transfers, but that didn't mean they wanted non-unique legacy names.

On the other hand, the BW response in this thread basically confirms that what's being sold as convenience for the players in the patch notes is really just a convenience for BW to handle upcoming forced transfers/merges.

I wonder how far I will let myself be pushed before giving in to my frustration. It's yet another incident of players' interests being dismissed and kicked aside.

Will players even be notified if a legacy name is already in use? Can I at least check if my legacy name is used by anybody else?

(And I still don't understand why it was necessary at all, since the last round of transfers seemed to work all right. I just simply fail to see the technical issue that forbids legacies to be unique.)