Legacy Names no longer unique

mrpayday

This can't be a serious post :D

And why can't it be? Surely out of all the corporate bioware personnel, at least one of them knew this was going to outrage the player base. Surely at least one of them said, "We might want to poll this before going through with it. Players hold true value to Legacy Names and could be quite offended if we go through with this."

No matter how much you would like to poke fun at people for not being happy about it, it does not change the fact that people have every right to be unhappy about it, because this was a huge mistake by bioware.

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This whole thing is further proof that MMO players literally cannot be satisfied. It's irrelevant to them that it's a practical decision made to allow for the merging of servers. They lose the name and it's the WORST THING EVARZOMG!!!111!!

I like this game a lot and have been critical in many instances (like the incredibly slow pace of development and release of new content and the laughable fact that they claim there will be monthly updates after F2P--it's never ever ever going to happen).

But seriously? All this sturm and drang over legacy names? Really? Grow the heck up, people!

Your being duped, The Old Republic is going free to play soon, the change is to accomodate them not server transfers, new players that are going to pay 15 pounds for a game and no monthy fee can come in and take your name. Nice reward Bio.

That's unacceptable. You are continually punishing the community at large for your mistakes and it's getting ridiculous. I was ready to leave when you royally screwed anyone not lucky enough to have chosen a destination server, but I decided to hold out a bit of hope that you guys could turn it around.

Now we're going on 4 months with no mention of new content, you keep screwing up the simplest things, and I find myself asking the same thing everyone else in my guild is. "Why am I still playing?"

Why on EARTH are you so mad about the darn name thing? Why does it matter so much to people, it's bizarre. You hit the nail on the head about the slow pace of development--why is that not your main point? This name thing is irrelevant compared with the much, MUCH bigger problem that they simply cannot get content out the door. Heck, remember when they announced F2P and said 1.4 would be in September (or was it August?) And no mention of 1.4 at all, and no 1.4 on PTS. There's no way it will come out in September and since October is the anticipated start of F2P you can bet they're also not going to release it in October.

The fact that they've release so little content in the first year is simply mind-boggling. Normally MMOs have a ton of stuff in the pipe and lots of releases in the first year. If this is how little they release in year 1, what do you think will happen in year 3 or 4?

Hyperbole.

There has been plenty of mention of new content. It's all over the place, if you take time to read it.

I had a feeling someone would jump on that, so I reworded it to this: "Now we're going on 4 months with no mention of new content actually being released..."

We've been hearing about TFB, HK-51 and Ancient Hypergates for ages, but I guarantee you it won't be out "this month" as they claimed. No PTS, no patch notes, no hard facts on what is and is not included. "Hey guys, some day there will be new content" is not enough to motivate 16 people in min/maxed BiS gear to continue playing.

If bioware help a poll them maybe we would know if it is a minority, seeing as they didnt we will never know. How do you know its a minority? Have you polled?

The informal poll is underway right here in the forums. :)

There are way fewer complaints here about it then the complaints about forced legacy name changes back during server transfers.

Further, the reasons wrapped around the complaints are more hyperbolic, emotional, and irrational in these current complaint threads then what was seen in most posts back during server transfers.

But, let's set all of that aside...... Bioware has the data, and they have already said why they are making the change. If you don't trust them, or don't like what they are doing.... you do have a choice to play or not play. Is this logical and appropriate change to Legacy names a game breaker for you? Is it??

I had a feeling someone would jump on that, so I reworded it to this: "Now we're going on 4 months with no mention of new content actually being released..."

We've been hearing about TFB, HK-51 and Ancient Hypergates for ages, but I guarantee you it won't be out "this month" as they claimed. No PTS, no patch notes, no hard facts on what is and is not included. "Hey guys, some day there will be new content" is not enough to motivate 16 people in min/maxed BiS gear to continue playing.

I couldn't agree more. They've been talking about updates all the time, but no hard facts, no patch notes, no PTS, no release timeline. At the current pace there will be 4 total updates to the game in the entire first year (they'll claim 5 because they'll call the F2P switchover an update). 4 updates in the first year for a major MMO WITH the Star Wars IP? It's almost unimaginably slow.

If I see a new player with my legacy name walking around then I will be like the unimpressed dragons off dragons den, im out.

So.... what's your Legacy name? :p

Seriously though..... many people have created Legacy names that survived server transfers and that they enjoy very much. So nothing really changes for them by this latest announcment. It's the SW or MMO versions of the Smiths and the Jones that are getting all bent out of shape most likley. :)

Right, so when we transfered voluntarily to another server, I had to change my legacy name but now you're going to merge servers you're gonna screw me over and say, too bad for you, you can't have your old legacy name but every idiot that creates a new account gets to use your old name or any of them.

How about a solution for that one....well, no. I don't do threats, so consider this the final straw that broke the camel's back and I will unsub right now. This just is such poor judgment. Instead of rewarding loyal customers you are now penalising them? No thanks. This just ticks me off.

From the patch notes:

•Legacy names are no longer unique. New Legacies that are created are now able to use a name that is already in use on the server. All players will be able to rename their Legacies once, at no cost, in a future update.

Read the patch notes more carefully you will have lower stress levels and live longer. :)

It's because they have spent the last 4-6 months redesigning the game for F2P and server merges , so they have kept back a lot of content , which doesn't please many subscribers. They should have still brought out all the content and sorted the F2P and server transfers out at the same time. Well at least they should be able to keep to their new content every 6 weeks now ( unless they change the design of the game again ).

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Since I can turn legacy names off completely the argument of "Oh, but that's how people can identify all my toons" is moot. It is completely possible right now to have your legacy name display for some of your toons and turn if off for others thus also allowing you to be a tool anonymously and a paragon of social virtue on your named toons, so too the idea of reputation is moot.

What I would have liked to have seen instead was the decoupling of legacy from "surname" or even better allow both a surname and a Legacy name. Because in all honesty even if you buy the argument that Han was a part of the Skywalker legacy, he still went by Han Solo and not Han Skywalker. We need individual surnames for toons, to give them individual identities if we so choose.

As I said im out if it happens. Many people have not logged on yet to complain or to approve, by stating in your post its a minority then your judgment is flawed, as is your arguements. You think people are going to be happy with a new player walking around with your name you chose in early release, a player who wont pay a fee, has paid a small amount for the game. Your name may not mean much to you but mine does, and I aim to keep it orginal. Its like deals you get on the high street offering deals to new customers but once your on them the old customers dont get any deals like that. Its to intice new players when it goes free, most of the servers are locked and transfers have taken place. Honesty would be nice to say this is being done for the benifit of new free to play players comming in.

Can someone clarify. They are merging the servers again? So they are becoming super super servers?

You know all the locked servers, where people optionally transfered off of? Well, soon they will force the rest of the characters off of those servers, and take them off-line.

This is correct. This is a change made exactly for the preparation of server mergers.

Joveth.. my man........

Here's the issue... really...

You guys (yep, said it ) have made numerous mistakes with this game since launch, the entirety of which is too numerous for this topic .......the topic being:

You must stop penalizing the loyal playerbase for said mistakes: PERIOD !

Enough is enough. You guys (yep, said it again) are consistently doing a 180 degree turn on a great many things now, and frankly, it's ticking me off to no end, as it is many other FOUNDERS......

It's Bioware's game that's in decline, not the gamers. Take notice of this, Joveth, my man......THIS project can come to an abrupt end.. we'll just move on .....

Can someone clarify. They are merging the servers again? So they are becoming super super servers?

Well it looks like we are only going to have 25 servers for the whole world. So expect quite a bit of lag and no nodes or mission items to find anywhere. November can't come soon enough , F2P , yay!

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Obviously you may realise I wanted more than just 25 servers for this game.

Edited by BadOrb

Now they just need to do it with first names. More people are going to be ticked about losing their first names YET AGAIN on more server merges!

I tend to agree, I don't want to transfer characters to servers because I can't have the same first name, not because of my legacy name, since I don't always use that name on every toon. Because let's be honest it makes no sense from my Sith (species) Juggernaut to be related to my Cathar (soon?) Trooper.

No MMO has ever made a "Global Name" usable by all players. Bioware really screwed up this time. I am shocked that anyone would even defend this.

That is provably not true. Champions Online does this.

Poor Bioware. Everyone complains about losing their Legacy name, Bioware changes it, other people complain. It's really not that big a deal.

Its nothing to do with server transfers, its to accomodate new player comming in when the game goes free to play. Names seem to mean nothing to some people on here. Why do games like this give you the chance to customize your characters? to make them unique, isnt the same for names?

I can't say I like they way they're handing names.

Yes, logically there can be more than one person with the same surname. However, if one was to use that argument, then logically there is even more likely to be more than one person with the same first name, and logically your characters which are likely not all even blood relations should be able to have different surnames from each other. So clearly, conventional logic about how names work IRL is thrown out the window here.

It would have been great if Legacy names were unique identifiers, while first names did not have to be unique. Instead, they have done the opposite. I understand why, at least sort of -- since you don't get Legacy until you complete Act 1, it obviously can't be used as an identifier. But making it non-unique anyway? I don't think that is such a great idea. I could deal with last names being non-unique, if the naming system was first name + surname for every character. So I would have John Smith and someone else could have Bob Smith or John Doe, but no one else could have John Smith.

Oh well . . . they'll do what needs to be done for smooth server mergers I guess. I don't really understand why they can't just make people change their Legacy names if needed though. They might have an issue with that as I recall that everyone that transferred was given the option to change their Legacy name even if they didn't need to.

That is provably not true. Champions Online does this.

Poor Bioware. Everyone complains about losing their Legacy name, Bioware changes it, other people complain. It's really not that big a deal.

No sir, I play Champions Online. Your global name is not up for grabs. Your first name is. Please do not lead people to believe that another game has done this when it is in fact untrue.