Legacy Names no longer unique

mrpayday

I believe the reasoning behind this is to make the auto transfers easier. All of those "dead" servers with active/inactive accounts on them.. well, those accounts are going to be shipped to one of the "active" servers at some point. Instead of forcing people to do a legacy name change, they are giving the option of a legacy name change. My legacy name sucks. I am looking forward to being able to change it and NOT have to worry about a popup box telling me it's taken.

Complaining about this? Seriously? Wow. People will complain about anything... and, as has been shown, DO complain about EVERYTHING.

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the reasoning behind this is to make the auto transfers easier. All of those "dead" servers with active/inactive accounts on them.. well, those accounts are going to be shipped to one of the "active" servers at some point. Instead of forcing people to do a legacy name change, they are giving the option of a legacy name change. My legacy name sucks. I am looking forward to being able to change it and NOT have to worry about a popup box telling me it's taken.

Complaining about this? Seriously? Wow. People will complain about anything... and, as has been shown, DO complain about EVERYTHING.

They will even complain about their own legacy name that they themselves chose of their own free will...:D

Edited by DAMossimo
missed word

Personally I think it's great my girlfriend and I can share a legacy name. I would almost like to take it a step farther and allow to people to actually be in the same legacy if the two accounts allow it. Now I understand how that would not really be practical but a man can dream.

I understand how some people are looking forward to it for that very reason, however, they could have implemented that as a separate option, something like "join legacy/legacies".

As has been stated early on in the thread, the main reason is not because players want it but because BW wants it for future (mass-) server mergers.

From a technical point of view I still fail to see how this is a requirement for future transfers. Previous transfers were massive in numbers and still worked.

It's again screwing what's most likely the majority of existing, active players for things that benefit the devs, the inactive and not-yet-existing players. On my server, everyone I spoke to is at least disappointed, at worst seething.

And they're all wondering what the purpose of legacy names is if they aren't unique. They serve no purpose whatsoever if they are not unique.

It now equals typing in a first name and a surname at creation creation. Every combination is unique, but everyone can use the surname with a first name of their choice. It's even worse, actually, that *your* characters are forced to have the same surname/legacy name, even if they are not "related".

They might as well get rid of the legacy names and let us choose a custom surname/title/legacy for each character. That way my Sith and Jedi can be one famlity, my BH and my smuggler can be another family and my trooper and my agent can marry and start their own family.

Edited by KyaniteD

This reasoning would make a little bit of sense to me... except what about all of the character names that are going to be merged? If it was REALLY about the mergers why not make first names shareable, legacies unique, and just implement a way to view a person's legacy name when sending mail/whispers/friend requests/whatever? Last I checked 8 was a bigger number than 1 (8 toons and 1 legacy per server for any slower peeps out there.)

And as another already pointed out... complain about everything indeed, including a legacy name they typed themselves? Hee hee!

It really just baffles me. I had thought all this time they were working on a way for people to share legacies IF THEY WANTED. And to separate legacies if they wanted. Did they change their minds or am I just smoking crack and that was never going to happen?

Edited by SimplyKupo

I realise that this has been said before, but I view this as a mistake.

Instead, Legacy names should remain unique, and be made account wide. And Character names should be made non-unique. I believe this not on the grounds of attachment or reputation or RP - all those arguments have their place, but I don't mind about them.

No, instead I think they should make this move on practical grounds. By making each player chose a unique name only one, you vastly increase the likelihood that a player will manage to get the name they want (cue happy player) as they need to chose only ONE unique name, instead of eight (or more in the future).

At the risk of beating a dead horse absolutely to dust, newbies don't have a legacy name until they complete chapter one. Any inactive accounts without legacy on them will be force-transferred :rolleyes: and, were first names sharable and only legacy names unique, wouldn't have a unique identifier on the destination server. What kind of havoc that would cause I don't know but I assure you it would be ugly.

At the risk of beating a dead horse absolutely to dust, newbies don't have a legacy name until they complete chapter one. Any inactive accounts without legacy on them will be force-transferred :rolleyes: and, were first names sharable and only legacy names unique, wouldn't have a unique identifier on the destination server. What kind of havoc that would cause I don't know but I assure you it would be ugly.

First names still have to be unique. Any inactive accounts without a legacy will still likely not have a unique identifier on the destination server. Doubled legacy solves nothing.

This is just sad. They are removing the ONE thing witch makes your char's unique to all others. The legacy was a good twist, and I'v enjoyed it alot until now. This sucks. Seeing some else running around with your legacy name, witch you chose first. This is just a complete idiotic idea, and I'm really disappointed with EA and BW.

I'v been subbing since the game came out, whiles not playing that much tbh. Just to support a game witch I think is great. And I do think we, as subsribers, have given EA and BW alot of time and patience (and money) to fix this game, all from the launch "failure", lag issues and balances.

And now they come out with this piece of #¤!% (parden the french). Witch, for me personaly, ruins the entire consept of legacy. IT SHOULD BE UNIQUE! And now, all of the sudden, they get the idea of switching that.

Gj EA and BW, you just managed to "#%! over your subsribers.

There's a very simple solution - make players chose a legacy name when rolling their first character, and postpone the rest of the legacy system till the end of Act 1. Hardly rocket science.

It was NOT a good idea. It was a very BAD idea. My Legacy names ties all my characters together, no matter what character I am on, people know that it is me...

Now any Tom, Dick or Harry can use my Legacy name, act like a total fool and really hurt my reputation.

We have asked many times for first names to be unlocked for all players, and lock down legacy names

Why in the hell did Bioware do just the opposite!?!?

That was the most retarded thing Bioware has done to date. I stand by that.

and 1st name is unique, in fact 1st name need to be more unique than legacy one. 1st name works as an ID for the server.

anyway i dont like same name in any case

and 1st name is unique, in fact 1st name need to be more unique than legacy one. 1st name works as an ID for the server.

anyway i dont like same name in any case

Why does the first name need to be more unique? Why can't the legacy name be the unique ID on an account per server, or even account wide?

There's a very simple solution - make players chose a legacy name when rolling their first character, and postpone the rest of the legacy system till the end of Act 1. Hardly rocket science.

Or, worst-case, lock existing single names to new players. Once whoever has the name you wanted gets their legacy, the name's no longer taken - because they're now NameYouWant TheirLegacyName, which is uniquely discernible from NameYouWant by the game - and you can pick that name. Or you can pick a different name, beat Act 1, and use NameYouWant on a new alt once you have an established unique legacy name to tie it to yourself.

Great news for all those who had to transfer and lost their name.

Bad news for the minority of players who didnt have to transfer.

Fantastic idea.

I got to keep my legacy name but I had 2 already. I had one on a PvP server and another on a PvE one. And didn't display it on either server after the first week and the novelty wore off. I leave and come back with the change of no longer unique and they are all turned back on. I had to go from character to character turning it off again.

And that's why earlier in the thread I wasn't even talking about what legacy names can and cannot or should and should not be. Because it was useless in my eyes already. More people lost the first names in the forced transfers than anything and Bioware doesn't care.