Cel Cawdro's Ultimate "Community Desire for Species" Poll

CelCawdro

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I realize I may be about to speak heresy, but how variations on a theme do we really need? Cathar are a cat-based race, I saw at least one other suggested playable race theat was cat-based. There are also 3 or more recommended dog-based races and innumerable color variations on humans and at least two versions of Trandoshan-like races. Why couldn't the desire for these variations simply be offered through the character customization process?

For example, Cyborg should be a set of applicable customizations applied to any race, not a distinct race unto itself. Cybernetic enhancements could be implanted on any race or species, sentient or otherwise, so why not simply make that part of the customization process? Similarly, white hair, white eyes, pink skin and hair,etc. could all be options for appropriate base character models.

New playable races should be distinct and different from existing races/models. This could be offered through subscriber vs. free-to-play, Legacy unlocks, Cartel purchases or any of a number of other mechanisms in the game.

As to romance, armor or language restrictions, most of these issues are superficial at best. Romance options can be closed between character races that are radically different from companion races or, forgive me for suggesting this but, base the romance option on the companion's own personalities - some races yes, some races no! Armor issues could be managed through clipping or simply indicating at character creation that certain slots would not be shown on the character in game. Language could be managed through subtitling. We already suffer through enough voiced and subtitled Huttese and other alien languages spoken by NPC's, why not do the same for PC's?

Variation of racial models would be far more interesting and enticing for existing and new players, alike than simple color and minor morphological variations on existing models. For existing models (e.g. human-based like humans, Ratataki, etc.) can be revitalized with more customization options. Along this last thought, one could set different templates for the same model that allow certainsuites of related characteristics (e.g. Pink skin with pink hair or white hair with white eyes, etc.)

Please don't just add more colors of the same tired models! Give us something new!

I think a general "Near Human" option would be useful, with unusual skin, hair, and eye-color options. That would allow anything from Zeltrons to Wroonians to Tofs, and a lot more besides. A whole lot of utility in a single race.

While I support this, it would be a tricky venture - I wouldn't be a fan of people creating their own species. Certain options would need to be exclusive to others to ensure that only recognized species are being generated.

I think a general "Near Human" option would be useful, with unusual skin, hair, and eye-color options. That would allow anything from Zeltrons to Wroonians to Tofs, and a lot more besides. A whole lot of utility in a single race.

I support this idea, people want near humans when they could all be added under one banner, or maybe you select near human, and it opens up a secondary list of near humans, adding a few extra shades of hair and skin colour and maybe some tattoos would seem to be an afternoons work not 12 months like Cathar.

I find it oddly amusing how some people are referring to this as some sort of proof that nobody wants cathar...

I've been attempting to combat that perception ever since this thread was created. As I have stated many times, Cathar rarely found themselves outside of the top three when players and fansites were running polls on playable species, and I never saw them outside of the top five.

The demand is there.

I'm just curious to see if their gestation time is indicative of all future additions.

I support this idea, people want near humans when they could all be added under one banner, or maybe you select near human, and it opens up a secondary list of near humans, adding a few extra shades of hair and skin colour and maybe some tattoos would seem to be an afternoons work not 12 months like Cathar.

Well, I wouldn't presume to tell the developers how long something should take. I'm not a designer and I'm not working with this engine, specifically, so I can't make an educated guess. All I want to know is if the Cathar wait is indicative of subsequent releases.

Looking for a little input here - should I take Voss out of the top five? I've tried to keep that little snapshot limited to the most plausible of species. Voss are problematic, due to their status as a new and narratively-entwined species. They're culturally insular, and I don't think that the developers would want to introduce them through the Cartel Market. Other methods might make sense, but having them as another Market unlock doesn't.

I'd say keep it in there - it's the 4th most wanted species after all - but add that red asterisk that problematic species get. (Or you could make two top 5s, one based purely on the number of votes and one taking plausibility into account) Edited by VanguVegro

Go ahead and keep the Voss up there, after all this poll is about what the community desires, plausible or not. While the Voss are problematic at the moment, it isn't too far fetched to think that BW could develop a future update around them. There could be an expansion in the storyline about how the influence of both the Republic and the Empire on their planet has disillusioned a great number of the Voss youth, causing them to leave their home world in search of their own vain glory and adventure. This would allow (canon wise) for the Voss to become a playable species.

Go ahead and keep the Voss up there, after all this poll is about what the community desires, plausible or not. While the Voss are problematic at the moment, it isn't too far fetched to think that BW could develop a future update around them. There could be an expansion in the storyline about how the influence of both the Republic and the Empire on their planet has disillusioned a great number of the Voss youth, causing them to leave their home world in search of their own vain glory and adventure. This would allow (canon wise) for the Voss to become a playable species.

Actually, this particular poll is about both desire and plausibility. :)

Personally, I would have been more inclined to keep them up there if BioWare had none gone the Cartel Market route with unlocking additional species. They would have been great as a reward for the Legacy system and/or the achievement system - ensuring that the player has both experienced the content on Voss personally and introduced the species to their faction. Or, as you say, a unique storyline to unlock them.

Unfortunately, those options aren't likely at this particular stage in the game's development. Using the implementation of Cathar to extrapolate future species, newcomers to the game would have these species available to them essentially when they begin the game, gated by nothing by the fatness of their wallet. I think it would be a real disservice to the unique aspects of the Voss species if they were unlocked in this manner.

You know what else is problematic? Tons of Chiss and Sith Jedi. I'm pretty sure Voss are fine.

Those are tolerable, as they were Legacy unlocks pre-Cartel Market. Having Pureblood Jedi was actually quite apt if you played through as a Light-side Warrior. Likewise, Chiss make about as much sense in the Empire as they do in the Republic. That being said, there are voluminous amounts of "unknown" aliens in the galaxy at large - who is to say that a few Chiss left their homeworld?

Voss are problematic as they are entwined with the storyline of SW:TOR. It wouldn't make much sense to make what is essentially first contact with the Voss... as a Voss. Of course, unless you're willing to suspend your disbelief as you've already taken part in that storyline and have "recruited" a Voss into your legacy through that contact.

Let me start off by saying that before they add any new species' (especially exotic ones), how about they fix the ones they already have, mainly Twi'leks. Change the way headgear and hoods work for them? Anyways:

1) Ithorian

2) Mon Calamari

3) Duros

Let me start off by saying that before they add any new species' (especially exotic ones), how about they fix the ones they already have, mainly Twi'leks. Change the way headgear and hoods work for them?

This kind of complaint has been around since closed beta, and it's precisely why BioWare is hesitant to add the more exotic species. They cannot fix these species, thus they fear the backlash.

This kind of complaint has been around since closed beta, and it's precisely why BioWare is hesitant to add the more exotic species. They cannot fix these species, thus they fear the backlash.

If somebody "cannot" fix something, then he needs to be fired and replaced by somebody who can fix things. Not sure how did they not realize that yet.