Cel Cawdro's Ultimate "Community Desire for Species" Poll

CelCawdro

A bit more encouraging-sounding from Nathan. I like the word "first." :)

Where'd you dig up this quote? I gotta say, I'm a little peeved to find out (though not shocked) that I STILL won't be able to roll my Cathar come 2.0, but this quote makes it look like I may be teaching a new group of students by the time that happens. I'm starting to think that the end of the year might be an optimistic guess.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where'd you dig up this quote? I gotta say, I'm a little peeved to find out (though not shocked) that I STILL won't be able to roll my Cathar come 2.0, but this quote makes it look like I may be teaching a new group of students by the time that happens. I'm starting to think that the end of the year might be an optimistic guess.

From this interview, if I recall. And I know what you mean - if this extremely drawn out process exemplifies the effort it will take for additional species, I'm not exactly going to be hopeful to get any of the species I would like to see.

From this interview, if I recall. And I know what you mean - if this extremely drawn out process exemplifies the effort it will take for additional species, I'm not exactly going to be hopeful to get any of the species I would like to see.

You recall correctly. I just followed your link and read the entire interview. It is clear that the new race will NOT be included with the RoTHC expansion. Also, the addition of Server Transfers will not be implemented until sometime later, just fyi. There is some good stuff included with the expansion, though.

You recall correctly. I just followed your link and read the entire interview. It is clear that the new race will NOT be included with the RoTHC expansion. Also, the addition of Server Transfers will not be implemented until sometime later, just fyi. There is some good stuff included with the expansion, though.

I'll reserve my judgement. :)

I'll reserve my judgement. :)

Pessimist much??? LOL. However, I hear you. So many MMOs promise us a slice of Heaven with an update or expansion but sometimes it winds up more like a huge hunk of Purgatory.

Force be with you.

Pessimist much??? LOL. However, I hear you. So many MMOs promise us a slice of Heaven with an update or expansion but sometimes it winds up more like a huge hunk of Purgatory.

Force be with you.

Well, my two issues - things that I've been really pulling for since '08, really - have been personal BioWare stories and a variety of playable species. Don't get me wrong - I like the game, but I'm not going to get excited when the progression of the game comes at the cost of those two things.

Well, my two issues - things that I've been really pulling for since '08, really - have been personal BioWare stories and a variety of playable species. Don't get me wrong - I like the game, but I'm not going to get excited when the progression of the game comes at the cost of those two things.

I see your point my friend. I like variety, customization, the ability to create something unique rather than having a cookie cutter toon. All we can do is make sure that our voices are heard. I, in game, broadcast that there is a poll here and I encourage people to hit it. May the Force be with us!

I see your point my friend. I like variety, customization, the ability to create something unique rather than having a cookie cutter toon. All we can do is make sure that our voices are heard. I, in game, broadcast that there is a poll here and I encourage people to hit it. May the Force be with us!

I'm flattered. :) Personally, I try to stir up discussion on the topic every now and again in-game, but I'd feel too weird trying to promote my own thread. And we know that metrics on things typed into chat are gathered, so the more species mentions in there, the better. ;)

I think a lot of players don't realize how important our input is. So many do not bother with reading forums, or game news, etc. Encouragement is needed. Why not promote your own thread? It's an important one! Blow your own horn! I want Bioware to know that we are watching and what our expectations are, especially those of us who sub. They get our $$$, we have the right to make our wishes known. I am so glad your started the thread. Smart move.

Spread the word people! Let your guildies know about the poll. :rak_04:

I think a lot of players don't realize how important our input is. So many do not bother with reading forums, or game news, etc. Encouragement is needed. Why not promote your own thread? It's an important one! Blow your own horn! I want Bioware to know that we are watching and what our expectations are, especially those of us who sub. They get our $$$, we have the right to make our wishes known. I am so glad your started the thread. Smart move.

I'm Canadian. :)

If that requires further elaboration, let me just relate to you that I just found out that one of my cousins had garnered an honourable mention at Sundance for one of her short films, among other accolades. And I learned this through her 10 year old son, who I had just met for the first time. :D

WOW!!!!! That is cool beyond words, both her success and your meeting your young relative for the first time. I am familiar with the joy of meeting a relative for the first time. My congrats to her for such a success!

But, ummm...I still don't get the Canadian part....

I kina wish this was true but I am not sure how much the Dev's actually read the forum posts. They always say they do but its almost like they have a filter set so they only read and reply to Nagry Bug reports, things which have their name in them and the occuasional thread where something is being done on it so they locate a similar topic and put the annoncement on the same thread. The community should be important but just with power companies they know while we all moan most people will never actually change supplier (MMO) because it takes too much time to do so.

I kina wish this was true but I am not sure how much the Dev's actually read the forum posts. They always say they do but its almost like they have a filter set so they only read and reply to Nagry Bug reports, things which have their name in them and the occuasional thread where something is being done on it so they locate a similar topic and put the annoncement on the same thread. The community should be important but just with power companies they know while we all moan most people will never actually change supplier (MMO) because it takes too much time to do so.

We seem to be getting off topic a bit here lately...probably my fault. One reality we must face is that Bioware is in business to make money. The Devs don't necessarily have ultimate control of what's developed and when. Their are men in suits upstairs who want to see only a lot of $$$ signs. I highly doubt the quality of the game, what features the community asks for (or anything about the community) is of the slightest importance to them. Also, the Devs in ALL MMOs take a lot of bashing from the community. I find that those who enjoy a particular aspect of the game rarely ever praise the Devs for a job well done. The whiners, however, are surely heard. We, as a community, need to give the Devs our positive feedback in addition to our our negative...and if we do leave negative feedback it should be done in a mature manner rather than "you Devs suck!" or similar absurd comments. I'm most of us have seen that sort of immaturity in forums or in-game, especially in-game. The Devs are gamers like us, let's treat them as fellow gamers. Well, that's my 2 cents..err, credits.

We might want to consider moving this "sub-thread" somewhere else and allow polling and discussion of species, etc. continue here. Just a suggestion.

WOW!!!!! That is cool beyond words, both her success and your meeting your young relative for the first time. I am familiar with the joy of meeting a relative for the first time. My congrats to her for such a success!

But, ummm...I still don't get the Canadian part....

Generally, we don't toot our own horns. :)

I second that motion. :D

Personally, I'd like to see a Legacy level requirement remain on the more "exotic" species. When BioWare initially designed the game, they were very insistent that players would have an optimal experience with the species they implemented. I can understand and respect that. And I think that's a notion that should be preserved. Thus, before you can get "weird" with Kel Dor or Nautolans or whatnot, I'd like to see a decent Legacy level requirement there, unsurpassable by the Cartel Market. Allow you to bypass the credit cost with it, sure, but not that legacy level.

Having had some serious clipping issues with Zenith and his gun I can only imagine this will be the case with any Twi'lek in the game who has a weapon on his back (or anything like a giant rocket booster) I really can't see why they are a species choice over more alien ones which would have less clipping issues with something as simple as a hide hood/helm option.

So I do wonder why Bioware haven't capitalised on people that want to play more alien species. Yes I can see it can take a fair bit of work to get customisation options for the different faces but this can then be used as part of the barber shop and allow people to customise their alien companions more than is currently available. So even if they can't sell the species to players they get another shot of say Togruta where players of an Inquisitor may want to use the barber shop on their companion. If they bring it in as a species they can the sell it again.

So new species seem to make sense from a fiscal point of view, from a players point of view and any objection dealing with story or clipping issues are already rampant in the game and hasn't seen vast levels of rage over it.

Having had some serious clipping issues with Zenith and his gun I can only imagine this will be the case with any Twi'lek in the game who has a weapon on his back (or anything like a giant rocket booster) I really can't see why they are a species choice over more alien ones which would have less clipping issues with something as simple as a hide hood/helm option.

So I do wonder why Bioware haven't capitalised on people that want to play more alien species. Yes I can see it can take a fair bit of work to get customisation options for the different faces but this can then be used as part of the barber shop and allow people to customise their alien companions more than is currently available. So even if they can't sell the species to players they get another shot of say Togruta where players of an Inquisitor may want to use the barber shop on their companion. If they bring it in as a species they can the sell it again.

So new species seem to make sense from a fiscal point of view, from a players point of view and any objection dealing with story or clipping issues are already rampant in the game and hasn't seen vast levels of rage over it.

Back in beta, Twi'lek were a Republic-only species. It wasn't until quite late in the development cycle that the developers actually asked the testers if they would be able to tolerate that level of clipping on the Inquisitor - a class whose gear was not designed to lekku in mind. Ultimately, the testers agreed that more selection, particularly in that case where it was very lore-relevant, is always a good thing.

That is precisely what they should start doing now. Get those discussions going. Be honest with the shortcomings of the engine. Give the community an official voice.