Cel Cawdro's Ultimate "Community Desire for Species" Poll

CelCawdro

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bump

for the dev team to stop being a single player game and listen to your mmo community

If only. However I suspect we are unlikly to see anything on this or any other thread from the dev team until Cathar are released. Even then while I suspect we will see very little. If Cathar a species which are humans with pointed ears and tiger tatoos takes 6 - 12 months to be released an actual alien species will probably be close on 3 - 4 years.

1.) Nautolan

2.) Togruta

3.) Ewok

To be able to play Kit Fisto species ..... With the Jamacian accent Bro.!

Enough said. I'd even love to see as companion soon if not playable. With HK

Type quest to get him the HK quest was amazing great work BW!

Big half update. I still have a few markers to add and Wookieepedia articles to link, but this was all the time I could spare. I've been made literacy coordinator for my little corner of Ontario and it has been consuming most of my extra time. Because of the added workload, mixed with the stance I had (have?) on the game's direction, I simply wasn't motivated to come around. But, possessed by curiosity, I checked back here to see how this thread was coming. I was met with a bigger surprise - actual, frequent communication with the community team. That's a good thing. And it was enough to make me care what happens to this game...

... more accurately, it has given me pause to consider that the game might not be as doomed (from a non-commercial viewpoint) as I thought it was. Communication with your playerbase is absolutely key to the success of an MMO. I was (and still am) very disappointed with the focus on the Cartel Market rather than actual content for players to be accessed within the game, proper. However, the reputation system (even in its infancy) has also given me a glimmer of hope. It is telling me that other avenues of progress are being considered (even if other systems, like Legacy, have shown us that these systems can quickly become abandoned.

In short, I've gone from completely apathetic back to a wait-and-see position. And as such, I will continue to update this thread. Maybe we'll even see a little gold grace it. :)

Edited by CelCawdro

Oh, and I'm still thinking about my analysis of the results of this thread, for when Cathar are released. They sure are taking their time with that... hopefully, kinks are being worked out that will allow subsequent species to be implemented much more readily.

One suggestion I definitely have is adding a "Near-human features" slider to humans. Tattooes, stripes, specific skin/hair colours, small facial alterations, etc. Not enough for NPCs to consider one alien, but enough to convincingly create, say, a Zeltron or a Kiffar (Echani are arguably possible, now). May as well bring the cyborg slider to other species, too (maybe only if you've unlocked cyborg via legacy).

Especially now that you can get an Echani outfit - it seems a flip of the sliders would give you all the Echani you need.

Indeed. I think a lot of people (and I don't mean do discourage anyone, I'm simply observing) are just naming their favourite species from the franchise without giving a second thought to what it would take to implement them. For some, like Hutts, it would be unrealistic. For others, such as Echani, they already exist, arguably.

And that's fine. That's just not how I would, personally, pick suitable species for the game, and I hope that has been reflected in the structure of the main post.

Oh, and I'm still thinking about my analysis of the results of this thread, for when Cathar are released. They sure are taking their time with that... hopefully, kinks are being worked out that will allow subsequent species to be implemented much more readily.

One suggestion I definitely have is adding a "Near-human features" slider to humans. Tattooes, stripes, specific skin/hair colours, small facial alterations, etc. Not enough for NPCs to consider one alien, but enough to convincingly create, say, a Zeltron or a Kiffar (Echani are arguably possible, now). May as well bring the cyborg slider to other species, too (maybe only if you've unlocked cyborg via legacy).

For now I'd like to treat Zeltron, Kiffar, Pantoran, Wroonian, Noorian, Nagai and Tof as seperate species selections since they're popularily indetified as different from Humans and would each have completely unique social emotes.

Zeltron and Nagai especially since they're both popular candidates.

Edited by Vitas

For now I'd like to treat Zeltron, Kiffar, Pantoran, Wroonian, Noorian, Nagai and Tof as seperate species selections since they're popularily indetified as different from Humans and would each have completely unique social emotes.

Zeltron and Nagai especially since they're both popular candidates.

Back in beta, you could select a Zeltron pink skin colour. In fact, humans had available to them an extremely wide array of selections that have since been toned down. This suggestion is not without precedent. I don't think anyone would put forth that Near-humans and Humans proper are the same thing, but at the risk of not having them in-game at all, would you not prefer simply having the option? I mean, look at how long Cathar are taking. It's almost been a year since they were announced, and therefore longer than they've been in development. If BioWare wants to expand their species selection drastically, there needs to be a little leeway for them to work with, methinks.

But yes, I realize that you're an idealist. I can respect you for that. But I'm trying to be as realistic as possible with our expectations. It's good to have someone like you on the other side of the issue, voicing what an ideal situation would be in an ideal world where time and money are meaningless. Everyone needs something to strive for, but one needs to also be aware of the reality of their situation.

I don't think that we'll ever agree on how BioWare should be looking at how they implement more species, but in the long run, I don't think that we need to. I think we've both taken legitimate viewpoints that aren't necessarily in conflict with each other.

1. zeltron

2. echani

3. togruta

as per the question about echani/zeltron, i think i think i would be mostly ok with simply having the color options, but they would probably have to change the name of the human race to 'human and near-humans' or something.

but i would really like to have the races separate and each have a racial emote that really differentiates zeltron, echani, and human from each other.

perhaps for zeltron's, it could have some graphical effect that would imply using their emotion projection or maybe to simulate pheremones

Edited by oaceen