Cel Cawdro's Ultimate "Community Desire for Species" Poll

CelCawdro

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While that's incredibly possible, it's also possible that since it's taken them so long to get Cathar out (we still only have speculation on when THAT will happen,) people stop voting because they probably won't be around when playable species 2 comes out.

Eh, I'm still holding on to the hope that Cathar have been (extremely) delayed due to the shake up with the Cartel Market, working all the kinks of the process out (thereby speeding future releases) and the unfortunate integration with the Cartel Market rather than the existing systems, such as Legacy.

Eh, I'm still holding on to the hope that Cathar have been (extremely) delayed due to the shake up with the Cartel Market, working all the kinks of the process out (thereby speeding future releases) and the unfortunate integration with the Cartel Market rather than the existing systems, such as Legacy.

I'd love to be that optimistic - and I certainly hope you're right! I'm holding off a sentinel till the very last in the hopes that I can roll a Torgrutan.

I'd love to be that optimistic - and I certainly hope you're right! I'm holding off a sentinel till the very last in the hopes that I can roll a Torgrutan.

I wouldn't say optimistic. I know how unfortunately foolish my hope is. I've taken a "wait-and-see" policy with SW:TOR. I've been waiting for a great many things for a long period of time. I've seen very little progress. Cathar and subsequent species additions are the last things that I'm waiting on. If I do not see progress here, I'm simply taking my leave of the game. I've nearly had all the fun that I can with it. My last hope is to take a Kel Dor through the Jedi Knight storyline, which I have not yet played.

If that proves to be outside the realm of likelihood, I'm gone for good. I'm not threatening anyone or anything like that - just stating a simple fact. At this point, that hope is the only thing keeping me here. And if that hope proves pointless in the coming months (realistically meaning that if 2.1 doesn't have Cathar), I have no reason to call SW:TOR home.

Updated.

I still need to do a little housekeeping when I can find a moment - a few still need their Wookieepedia links, and as new species have made the main lists, I haven't been keeping up on marking them for language or lore issues present.

I wouldn't say optimistic. I know how unfortunately foolish my hope is. I've taken a "wait-and-see" policy with SW:TOR. I've been waiting for a great many things for a long period of time. I've seen very little progress. Cathar and subsequent species additions are the last things that I'm waiting on. If I do not see progress here, I'm simply taking my leave of the game. I've nearly had all the fun that I can with it. My last hope is to take a Kel Dor through the Jedi Knight storyline, which I have not yet played.

If that proves to be outside the realm of likelihood, I'm gone for good. I'm not threatening anyone or anything like that - just stating a simple fact. At this point, that hope is the only thing keeping me here. And if that hope proves pointless in the coming months (realistically meaning that if 2.1 doesn't have Cathar), I have no reason to call SW:TOR home.

I know what you mean. I don't WANT to leave, but I realistically only have time for one game at a time. If this game starts to feel stale, well, I'm sure there are COUNTLESS other games willing to fight for my money.

I know what you mean. I don't WANT to leave, but I realistically only have time for one game at a time. If this game starts to feel stale, well, I'm sure there are COUNTLESS other games willing to fight for my money.

On a somewhat related note, I just received an invite into the Neverwinter Nights beta. I think this will be the first beta that I end up passing on - SW:TOR has spoiled me for story, and the races to select simply don't hold my attention. I've done all the tired fantasy races, and they seem to be presenting them as dully as possible. Fortunately for SW:TOR, the Sith as a species were always something that held my attention. Granted, we're playing humans with certain Sith traits (the title "Pureblood" being somewhat ironic), but they still held my attention for the duration of a few characters. I can't even play another character as anything else is so boring.

We may be heading toward a different thread here. For those of you who have stated that the introduction of new species is the "last thing" you're hoping for...what ARE the things you're hoping to see. I'm still relatively new so everything about the game excites me. However, perhaps new and different starting zones for the various classes would be nice so that we're not repeating the same content over and over.

One HUGE thing I would like to see is the ability to wear a set of "real" armor" but have a tab to allow us to use cosmetic armor strictly for appearance sake ( a la EQ II) for those of us who are fashion conscious.

Personally, I'm a fan of the modding system. Other cosmetic systems, such as those in WoW and LotRO, fit their respective games well, and methinks the modding systems fits in with the Star Wars universe quite well. My only suggestion would be to allow crafters to reverse engineer, without fail, any random green, blue and maybe even white item to unlock a moddable version. The Cartel Market has dealt blow after blow to the crafters of SW:TOR, and I believe that this might help to repair that damage, a bit.

Updated a few missing links.

If anyone would like to glance over the lists and see if they spot any species missing a marker for concerns around lore or language, feel free to give me a heads up. I try to keep up on the lore, but no one can know it all. :)

Updated a few missing links.

If anyone would like to glance over the lists and see if they spot any species missing a marker for concerns around lore or language, feel free to give me a heads up. I try to keep up on the lore, but no one can know it all. :)

Actually, there's a wonderful print resource Star Wars: The New Essential Guide to Alien Species. I just purchased it and it covers races in Episodes I - VI, plus species featured in the expanded universe. Of course there is the Wookipedia but this book is endorsed as "official," meaning it has the stamp of approval by LucasArts, ILM, etc.

There are also guides available by the same publisher on weaponry, vehicles, droids, etc. I plan to purchase them all.

May the Force be with you.

Actually, there's a wonderful print resource Star Wars: The New Essential Guide to Alien Species. I just purchased it and it covers races in Episodes I - VI, plus species featured in the expanded universe. Of course there is the Wookipedia but this book is endorsed as "official," meaning it has the stamp of approval by LucasArts, ILM, etc.

There are also guides available by the same publisher on weaponry, vehicles, droids, etc. I plan to purchase them all.

May the Force be with you.

Whilst the book is 100% official, it features at least minor inconsistencies which conflict with some later material. This can be due to being released back in 2006.

Edited by Vitas

Trying to follow the initial thread instructions. 3 on top = 3 votes for species as I understood it.

3. - Togruta [Jedi, Sith classes only]

2. - Devaronian [smuggler, Bounty Hunter only]

1. - Anzati [imperial Only]

Excellent choices! It is unclear to me which you favor first, the Togruta or the Anzat (which I researched and find VERY interesting, though there were some Anzat Jedi during the Clone Wars...but I see why you elect them as Imperial only...their feeding habits alone, lol.)

There are just so many cool races to choose from. Let's see what Bioware does with our input!:o

Whilst the book is 100% official, it features at least minor inconsistencies which conflict with some later material. This can be due to being released back in 2006.

You are correct. The book was published in '06 so any official expanded universe lore, etc. would naturally have an impact on the continuity and accuracy of the printed work. It's been 7 years...I think it's time for an updated version, don't you? Perhaps I will approach the authors about that. It was written by two women, both SW fans but there were a great many people involved in it's development. I suppose the deciding factor would be whether or not such an update would be in demand. I wonder what the SW tabletop RPG population is like, as far as numbers are concerned. Never played it myself.

•Players are very curious about the decision to make Cathar the next playable race, as opposed to seemingly more popular choices such as Ithorians, Wookies, or even Droids. How did the development team arrive at the decision to choose Cathar, and what other kinds of races can we expect in the future?

What do you mean, a lot of folks love the Cathar! You’ve got a great point though – the popularity of different races varies wildly from player to player. My personal favorite is Mon Calamari! They are decidedly not very Imperial though. We think Cathar is a great start and equitable for both factions. Future races are definitely a possibility and community popularity will be a huge deciding factor if and when we do pick them.

I do not like the words "possibility" or "if."

Edited by CelCawdro

Finishing up with two highly anticipated features: Server transfers and the Cathar species. Will we see either or both of these go live with RotHC? Will server transfers be purchasable with Cartel Coins? Any hint as to how much unlocking Cathar might cost?

Nathan: The Cathar species is an addition to SWTOR that many of us are very excited about. Since this is our first additional playable species, we are taking extra care with its presentation and as such will not be launching with Rise of the Hutt Cartel. However, additional information on when it will be available should be distributed not long after Rise of the Hutt Cartel.

A bit more encouraging-sounding from Nathan. I like the word "first." :)

A bit more encouraging-sounding from Nathan. I like the word "first." :)

Good point, 'cause after that comes second, third...eighth!!! I feel SWTOR is on the uprise, perhaps due to the fact that Bioware introduced the F2P business model. I remember hearing at the release of the game that it wasn't worth the subscription price. I remember one complaint being that "you have to run everywhere." LOL! In what MMO do u not have to do so??? At any rate, in retrospect, I wish I had not listened to the whiners and waited almost a year to make the leap.

The Cathar race will be okay. I keep imagining Cathar Sith Lords so I'm warming up to the fuzzies.

May the Force be with you...always.