Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

You can still transfer because you can only play 1 toon at a time.

Except that they have said that this is not going to happen, once they announce which server is transferring to another server that is final and it won't change until they discontinue the whole initial phase of free transfers.

Actually they never said this couldn't happen and said if a server becomes full then a new destination will be chosen.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually they never said this couldn't happen and said if a server becomes full then a new destination will be chosen.

No they didn't, they specifically said that once a destination was announced it would not be changed.

What they said was that once a server fills up it will not be a destination server for any other source servers.

Edited by Arlbo_Nabbins

If you expected anything other than what we are getting then it was entirely your fault for misreading what BW have been saying. It was stated that there would be targeted server transfers which means it was not going to be a free choice.

There are more options than "free for all" or "there is one and only one server you can transfer to". "Targeted" does not necessarily mean, or even imply, that each individual server will only get one choice. "Targeted" could just as easily mean "servers a, b, and c can transfer to server x or y". It's still targeted, just with more choices. The person you quoted was correct. They managed to take what should have been an a huge victory for the player base and make it so silly it may turn out to not be worth doing at all. Obviously transfers TO Fatman would have been a bad idea. I don't think anyone was expecting to be able to do that. As many people pointed out, we're basically caught in a game of russian roulette because of shortsightedness at launch, and the odds are not in our favor.

They provisioned a bunch of servers a week after launch so it can't be that tough. It seems better to invest the time and money than to piss off players who aren't lucky enough to be on a destination server.

Why should they make new servers when they already have servers that aren't being closed? Do you really need a new server to lock in your name? Do you really want to be one of the 500 people trying to be the first person to secure some variation of Luke, Vader, Leia, or Thrawn? Seriously I don't care if my server is a destination server. What ever server my Sith Inquisitor lands on will be the server that I eventually get the rest of my characters to. If you think up original names, or just use randomly generated names then you won't be so worried about this. I use the same names in every MMO I play, I bet I could go to wow's armory right now and look up all my character names and not find any that aren't mine.

No they didn't, they specifically said that once a destination was announced it would not be changed.

What they said was that once a server fills up it will not be a destination server for any other source servers.

Actually they said that there will be plenty of advance notice of them changing the to and from servers.

From Joveth to you page 114

This is simply not correct. From my previous post:

"In order to ensure an optimal playing experience for every server, we’ll be offering direct transfers from one origin server to a pre-selected destination server. This means that the destination server will already be selected for the origin server. As mentioned in our blog post, all server types and languages will be respected. You will not find your PvE characters transferred to a PvP server, or vice versa.

Therefore, all guild members on the origin server will be eligible to transfer to the same destination server, ensuring that the guild has the opportunity to stay together.

Please note that we will not be dividing the population of an origin server onto multiple destination servers for this free character transfer process."

With this information, you can see that you do not need to transfer at the same exact time.

This part below implies that won't be the case.

Please note that we will not be dividing the population of an origin server onto multiple destination servers for this free character transfer process.

Actually they said that there will be plenty of advance notice of them changing the to and from servers.

No, that is again not what has been said.

It looks like this line is causing a little bit of confusion. Hopefully I can help clear that up! What we're saying here is that we're unable to provide the origins and destinations in advance because those lists may change internally as we watch the response to transfers. We'll be monitoring populations and how many players are transferring, which will inform our decisions about further origin and destination servers. We won't be changing the destination on you once it's announced, we just don't want to announce a pair too early.

Once announced the servers don't change. When they decide to end these free transfers anyone who has not moved won't be able to move at all (because transfers will have finished), it is this that they have said they will give reasonable advance notice for.

I think that the source of the confusion is that people might be expecting that they will announce a list of all the source and destination servers on the 12th so everyone will see what their transfer will be, this is not how its going to be done.

Instead they will start with some origin servers and some destination servers, as the transfers start and BW actually see how many are choosing to transfer they will then be able to decide if they need to add more source servers transferring to the published destinations or whether the next round of source servers announced will go to different destination servers.

For example, On the 12th if they announce that The Cinzia can transfer to The Jedi Tower that does not imply that any other German PVE EU servers will definitely be offered The Jedi Tower when their turn comes (although 1 or 2 more probably will to produce a Standard/Heavy). When another source server gets to the head of the list they might decide that Jedi Tower has enough people so it will be time to start a new destination server so what they announce will be that Stereb Cities can transfer to Sith Triumvirate (all names are purely examples and not based on pop numbers).

So what does this mean to the only german RP-PVP server Jenjidai?

It means that you are pretty much out of luck for this phase of server transfers unless they decide to unite the EU RP-PVP servers into one (but that would cause language issues so I am not really expecting that they will do this, but they might), you may have to wait until they possibly introduce transfers where you can choose the destination server freely (or semi-freely) and you may have to pay for that service.

Edited by Arlbo_Nabbins

:confused:

Did you not see Joveth's response to you?!

Read everythign they said if the destination gets full the destination will be changed. If you don't get transfered at the EXACT same time as your guild mates you will NOT be on the server with them. Read the above post it pretty much says it.

You can get F'd over by this move.

This is simply not correct. From my previous post:

"In order to ensure an optimal playing experience for every server, we’ll be offering direct transfers from one origin server to a pre-selected destination server. This means that the destination server will already be selected for the origin server. As mentioned in our blog post, all server types and languages will be respected. You will not find your PvE characters transferred to a PvP server, or vice versa.

Therefore, all guild members on the origin server will be eligible to transfer to the same destination server, ensuring that the guild has the opportunity to stay together.

Please note that we will not be dividing the population of an origin server onto multiple destination servers for this free character transfer process."

With this information, you can see that you do not need to transfer at the same exact time.

As someone who really hasn't handed out a lot of praise to BW or anyone else involved with this project lately, and while I have to say I have my gripes about the transfer process as I understand it currently, I want to comment that the effort put forth towards explaining the process and answering *a lot* of individual questions the last few days has been very impressive to say the least.

Until I get the ability to merge characters and legacies from the 2 servers I have characters on for free, I'll remain unsubscribed.

I hope it works out well for the people who stick it with the game, but I feel like this whole thing has been handled so poorly, I can't bring myself to reward EA/BW with my money any longer.

Legacy is a pretty neat concept, but it clearly wasn't ready to launch when it did. This is not satisfactory support for such a system.

This is one of the worst posts that I have ever seen. My problems with it can't even begin to be covered here without my post being deleted. Bus seriously if you have such little faith in Bioware why didn't you unsub?

You were not replying to me, but stepping in here... I already unsubbed (disabled auto-renew). I have access until sometime in August. And I care about TOR, which is why I'm here complaining. If I didn't care about it, I wouldn't even waste my time with it.

Bioware, why even offer the illusion of "choice" when all you want to do right now is to consolidate the server population. Now your players have the options to (A) transfer to a server they probably don't want to go to, or (B) stay on a dead server. If you think that type of "choice" is what players are looking for, you should be running for office this November instead of running a game company.

Just merge the servers as you wish, then enable char transfer (make it paid and sell panda while you are at it, but it starts to feel like this is where we are going).

Don't offer fake choices and make both players and your lives harder.

This seems like a good idea. Sure you may not get to choose the exact server you may want or can change server types but they never said you were going to be able to do that.

All they said is that they would allow server transfers for our characters and they are doing that. Sure they might have could have moved the guilds like they did in the beginning of the game but then again the guilds were put in the servers eailer than anyone else. Want to know what would have happen if they allowed the guilds to transfer before anyone else? Complaint, Complaint after complaint. Don't tell me there wouldn't have because it sure would have.

And as far as them not allowing you to have a free transfer to another type of server (i.e. PVE to PVP) they never said they would do that Who's fault is it that you chose that type of server? That is not bioware's fault no matter how much you try to make it their fault. It is your fault for choosing that type of server.

As far as them limiting which servers you can go to that makes sense. They are trying to move some of the light populated servers to another server to create more population on them instead of overpopulatng a server. It may not make a difference to you bu some players may have a problem playing on an overpoplulated server because of lag.

It makes sense to lock down some of the heavier populated servers just as they did with Starsider on SWG.

Yet you keep complaining that not everyone in going to be able to transfer to the same server where they have stated a few times they are not going to send half the server to one location and the other to another.. In fact, they are giving you a choice whether to transfer or not.

And for those that complain that transfers later may cost well there is another reason for that. If you allow free transfers all the time you come into a problem where you get players transferring every time they turn around to another server. And those type of players normally create problems on servers that's why they keep transferring.

Even in SWG you could transfer to another server but it cost. The only time they were free is when they were trying to close some servers and when they got everyone off those servers they went back to charging until the last 2/3 months when SWG was getting ready to close.

Even Wow (or the last time I played a few years )charged for server transfers with the exception if a server was light and then they only allowed free transfers to that server to try to fill it up and alleviate some of the problems on the heavier ones.

Edited by casi

the thing is.... they KNEW that a ton of people re-rolled to the higher population servers... this would be an easy fix if they just made those servers with the higher pops be able to move to whatever ddestination server they want! 3/4 of these high pop servers are full of gosh danged RE ROLLS! If they allowed for the high pops to go to wherever/whatever type of destination server they want then people can EASILY consolidate their chars. Come on Bioware... use those brains of yours. this is a simple thing that will allow them to have a majority of their player base be happy.

The reason I am so frustrated is, they were so damned vague on the details that my entire guild went to the only server we saw that was always standard besides Fatman... and that is Canderous Ordo... We are a PvP guild but didn't want the que times with Fatman during prime time. NOW we are stuck on a danged PvE server where the people are AWFUL at pvp (and by awful... I mean realllllly awful) . Bioware, Listen to me, just make the high pops available for transfer to ANY destination server. problem solved....

Edited by TheRiddick

1. "We understand that some of you may be looking to consolidate characters from a variety of origin servers onto one server, and others may be anxious to move to a specific server to be with friends. With the restrictions of this initial service, that may not be possible." - FAIL

2. "We still believe that you will enjoy playing on a higher population server and hope you'll take advantage of the service, but you won't be forced to transfer." - FAIL

3. "Future versions of the Character Transfer Service may allow more options in your choice of destination servers and may require a transfer fee." - FAIL

There are a lot of ways transfers/mergers could have been handled, but some of those ways would of course be insanely stupid. It seems you've elected to do this a stupid way? probably 80% of your customers will take issue with not being able to consolidate their characters. Your ENTIRE PvP server playerbase will suffer from this, unless, as the post implies, they get 'lucky'. Because E~V~E~R~Y PvP player in this game, with the exception of those that started on Fatman, (and any diehards still on their original dead servers) has characters on a dead server that they want to consolidate with their refugee characters on Fatman. That doesn't even address the second part of that statement - not being able to transfer to specific servers to be with friends.

As for the second quote, this... seems very simple to me. YOU NEED TO MERGE SERVERS. There are too many. If you really don't think so, then you are in denial. If you are telling us that we won't be forced to transfer, then you are basically telling us that all the servers will remain. Merge servers. I can't speak for PVE servers, but merge all the PvP servers into only 2 or 3 servers, at the most. If the game starts picking up, you can open up additional PvP servers and offer incentives and free transfers to people to join them. THIS IS REALLY SIMPLE!

And third, No. I'm only going to stick around long enough and hope that I'm one of the 'lucky' ones that can consolidate my Veela and Fatman Legacies, and still be able to play on a server with my friends. If I'm not one of the lucky ones, you can be DAMNED sure I am not going to stick around any longer, and I sure as HELL am not going to pay any transfer fees to correct your mistakes.

Well said man! I agree that bioware should consoildate pvp servers to start and allow us to consolidate our characters "free" of charge on 1 server. i can tell you i have already bought guild wars 2 and I am not known for maintaining multiple MMO subs.....so that said..if things dont improve asap... BA BYE!!!

Sorry if this has been answered already, but if a player is on a PVP server and was hoping to move to a PVE or RP server, will there be some PVE or RP servers in the mix or just PVP servers?

Sorry if this has been answered already, but if a player is on a PVP server and was hoping to move to a PVE or RP server, will there be some PVE or RP servers in the mix or just PVP servers?

Not in these first transfers. I presume they'll allow people to move between server types later when the full system goes online. But it definitely might make sense to re-roll on the PVP or PVE or RP server if you aren't already on it.

I'm sorry if this has been asked already but I'm not going to troll a few dozen pages to find it.

Will Cargo holds transfer with us during this? My guild has quite a bit of gear in the bank and we're trying to figure out the best way to move it all with as few people as possible

Not at first, they will probably make you pay to tranfer of that in the future. (Screwed up, I know.)