Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

I understand that PvE will transfer to PvE and that RP-PvE will transfer to RP-PvE, but what I'm curious about is, for U.S. servers, will the origin and destination servers be in the same timezone. I assume this will be addressed in the upcoming FAQ, but just in case it's not, thought I'd drop a bug in someone's ear, so to speak. ;)

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, I have a question and I was wondering id anyone could help. I noted in the article that the designed transfer places may change at short notice as server populations shift. If a whole guild sought to move as a unit, will we be able to let customer service know that we're moving as a grou[ so that they can keep the door open until everyone lands at the new server?

No it wont shift, once a destination is announced for your server that is permanent. What may happen is that when another server gets its transfer announced the destination server will be a new one.

So, I created a new character on a new server after I realized my original server was dead. Am I ever going to be able to consolidate my characters from both servers onto one server/legacy?

According to Bioware, no. Awesome "server transfers", huh?

Can anyone give me a good justification for using existing servers as destinations instead of creating new ones? It seems like doing it that way solves several problems brought up in this thread. The only justification I can see is that BW doesn't want their stats in torstatus to look worse than they currently do.

Can anyone give me a good justification for using existing servers as destinations instead of creating new ones? It seems like doing it that way solves several problems brought up in this thread. The only justification I can see is that BW doesn't want their stats in torstatus to look worse than they currently do.

If the server population is already low, what incentive would people have to transfer to a server with a population of zero? Existing servers with medium level populations make better destinations for servers with low populations.

If the server population is already low, what incentive would people have to transfer to a server with a population of zero? Existing servers with medium level populations make better destinations for servers with low populations.

They'd know that they aren't the only origin server going to that destination server so the population wouldn't be low for long. Even that medium population server could be an origin server going to the same destination.

No, actually, they don't. This is simply a known fact of server transfers and/or merges, from any MMO. If your name is already taken on the server you're trying to move to, then you have to rename. The consent is you initializing the transfer to another server.

This is what I was replying to :

I am going to have to assume that this was covered somewhere in the 117 pages of threadnaught, but Why not give guilds the choice to "transfer all members" along with guild bank and everything. If our guild for instance decided they wanted to move as a unit, why not make it so?

This is my reply :

So have 100+ people log in and have to change their names w/o any consent on their part?

Even if it was possible.. they would need some kind of permission from the customer to do this kind of action.

To "transfer all members" of a guild as a unit it'd be complete chaos, they're already looking at doing millions of transfers... to add a bunch of pissed off threads about being forced through the guild transfer to rename all of their characters without any choice at all was my point.

it blows my mind how many people cant read

I agree :D

Provisioning new servers takes effort and time and money, all of which are in scant supply for the dev team?

So basically a portion of your comunity is getting screwed? Some of us want to change server types since population but also play styles of a current server type may not fit us. Thanks.

I really like this game but i'm not willing to lean over and take a beaten because your company can't get its crap together with transfers / mergers in a timely fashion and only seem to care about one part of the larger problem.

FREE TRANSFERS FOR ALL!

Then change server types. As has been stated before, you can make all the claims you want about dead servers, but no one made any mistakes in choosing the TYPE of server other than you yourself.

If you want to re-roll on a PVP server, or a different type of server in advance of the open transfers, then re-roll on another server.

In the time everyone has sat around complaining from March to now about how server transfers are taking too long, I've already got a new Commando 50 rolled on Fatman.

No one is stopping you from fixing your problem except for you. When you're ready to fix it, I urge you to do so.

Im having mixed feelings about this :(. In first place thank you very much for this, but im kinda sad that it seems i wont be able to move my toons from the server i have them atm the new one my guild moved to, since, thats a very popular server., I was hopping to move toons since i have full crafting skill there.

The low population of the server we were forced us to wait up to 1-2hours to get a qeue and gave the biggest guilds the power recruit more better geared player, therefore a bigger chance to win all the warzones matches. The result of that was a lot of people leaving the server, and a really bad attitude from those guilds. So its kind of unfair that we have that kind of restrictions, since its technically not our fault that the server is dead.

On the other hand i can understand you are trying to avoid that over population so i guess we`ll just have to wait and see. But im just saying...not a happy costumer.

No, actually, they don't. This is simply a known fact of server transfers and/or merges, from any MMO. If your name is already taken on the server you're trying to move to, then you have to rename. The consent is you initializing the transfer to another server.

This is not always the case; in fact, there have been several situations where priority is given to at the very least active subscriptions. DCUO just last year gave priority to time logged into the game, which tended to mean the vast majority of people kept their main's name (not necessarily alts of course) and it went over fairly well. Of course, their were people complaining about losing their name after the game went F2P and they came back after not logging in since the first month, but it actually got very little complaints when initially done.

No..if the server fills up they will start sending people to a new destination.

No, if the server fills up they will not make it the destination for any other source servers. It will stay open for people from servers that have already been placed on the transfer list.

Edited by Arlbo_Nabbins

REPOST - Since they closed my thread.. here you go....

Bioware and Poor Decision Making

This post is on behalf of my members, this is how they feel!

After getting my members hopes up about server transfers, "Yeah we can finally move our char over! Woot! I guess all my hard work won't be wasted!"

Bioware says "Sorry, but we are not gonna let you move your char to high pop servers. As a matter of fact we are not even gonna give you much of a choice, move where we let you"

A massive part of the population already abandoned their char, they fell in love with (isn't that a point of an RPG game?) & worked so hard on, to move to a high pop server months ago. I've got a huge portion of my 100+ members who you have got their hopes up again (like you did with rated warzones!) They want their char back, but sorry nope. You'll have to wait for awhile or maybe never.....or it might cost money! WHAT? This was a chance to win them back over... DOH! What are you guys thinking!

BACKLASH ALERT!!! Now im gonna hear that on Vent for the next few months how Bioware bad choices hosed them again, first low pop servers, now no transfers, unless they just say forget you Bioware and quit. More Sub's lost, less members online.... ugh!

You got to turn this around, make better choices & hit some home runs. Not bait and switch all the time! People hate that! If your gonna do something, deliver on it!

Server transfer is about CHOICE..... Server Merging is about NO CHOICE.... If your gonna merge servers just do it don't mess around! Merge the light servers to the Medium ones and let people move their char where they want! Don't get peoples hopes up then pretend like they have a choice. They don't have a choice if you force them onto certain servers! Your gonna waste MASSIVE resources doing this pretend server transfer stuff.

Look at this from the players point of view:

1) people have already moved & want their char to move where they are now!

2) people want to play where their friends are

3) they want their char on a populated server

LET THEM! Don't burn your player base again!

They don't want to be forced, just because your server guys are afraid top servers will get a queue. Big deal.. let servers queue! I'll take queues to having 5 people total on the fleet! Pops will settle after time and that queue will reduce & vanish.

I'm very passionate about my members and their in game enjoyment! I hope you can reverse this terrible move. I would prefer not to loose more good people to bad choices.

Best wishes,

- Kismet

Leader, Ring of Destiny

What if the server becomes full and only 4 of the 8 toons have be copied over?

You can still transfer because you can only play 1 toon at a time.

The big deal is they don't get to chose, they don't move together. IF the destination becomes full and they swap to a new destinition and only half the guild's characters have been transfered then the other half goes somewhere else. Thus destroying their guild and making them having to wait to "pay".

Except that they have said that this is not going to happen, once they announce which server is transferring to another server that is final and it won't change until they discontinue the whole initial phase of free transfers.

Edited by Arlbo_Nabbins

Good lord, they said the date was June 12th to start. Can you all like... I don't know... WAIT UNTIL JUNE 12TH TO SEE THE ACTUAL SERVER DESTINATION DETAILS before you start writing books about how pissed you are?

Come on, people. Enough of this foolishness. Take a deep breath and wait until they release all of the details.

BACKLASH ALERT!!! Now im gonna hear that on Vent for the next few months how Bioware bad choices hosed them again, first low pop servers, now no transfers, unless they just say forget you Bioware and quit. More Sub's lost, less members online.... ugh!

You got to turn this around, make better choices & hit some home runs. Not bait and switch all the time! People hate that! If your gonna do something, deliver on it!

QFT. My guild is probably going to throw their hands up and say to Bioware: "forget it". The opinion on this subject within my guild ranges from mildly disappointed /facepalming to full out POed. Some think Bioware is scared to do the right thing here, others think they're just complete fail. Unless Bioware turns this mess around I know my guild will most likely be sitting on the same server with shrugged shoulders saying "what the...?".

Edited by cipher_nemo

QFT. My guild is probably going to throw their hands up and say to Bioware: "forget it". The opinion on this subject within my guild ranges from mildly disappointed /facepalming to full out POed. Some think Bioware is scared to do the right thing here, others think they're just complete fail. Unless Bioware turns this mess around I know my guild will most likely be sitting on the same server with shrugged shoulders saying "what the...?".

This is Bioware, can't eve do simple stuff right.

Provisioning new servers takes effort and time and money, all of which are in scant supply for the dev team?

They provisioned a bunch of servers a week after launch so it can't be that tough. It seems better to invest the time and money than to piss off players who aren't lucky enough to be on a destination server.

My question is entirely different - I have 8 chars - 4 imps and 4 reps between them they cover all the classes and the crewskills I need for my legacy - they are basically a package deal. Will I be able to move all 8 of them at the same time or is this just for one char?

You can move them all, you just move 1 at a time and you don't have to move them all if you don't want to.

Because it would not really solve the issues of renaming, it would just lessen the chance. If someone transfers a character/guild before you do and it has the same name you will still have to rename your character/guild. All it would mean is that name on accounts that people have stopped playing would not be an issue.

They would also have to build new servers as they are not closing any of the old servers (or not in the near future).

After getting my members hopes up about server transfers, "Yeah we can finally move our char over! Woot! I guess all my hard work won't be wasted!"

Bioware says "Sorry, but we are not gonna let you move your char to high pop servers. As a matter of fact we are not even gonna give you much of a choice, move where we let you"

If you expected anything other than what we are getting then it was entirely your fault for misreading what BW have been saying. It was stated that there would be targeted server transfers which means it was not going to be a free choice.

Bioware and Poor Decision Making

This post is on behalf of my members, this is how they feel!

A massive part of the population already abandoned their char, they fell in love with (isn't that a point of an RPG game?) & worked so hard on, to move to a high pop server months ago. I've got a huge portion of my 100+ members who you have got their hopes up again (like you did with rated warzones!) They want their char back, but sorry nope. You'll have to wait for awhile or maybe never.....or it might cost money! WHAT? This was a chance to win them back over... DOH! What are you guys thinking!

Server transfer is about CHOICE..... Server Merging is about NO CHOICE.... If your gonna merge servers just do it don't mess around! Merge the light servers to the Medium ones and let people move their char where they want! Don't get peoples hopes up then pretend like they have a choice. They don't have a choice if you force them onto certain servers! Your gonna waste MASSIVE resources doing this pretend server transfer stuff.

Look at this from the players point of view:

1) people have already moved & want their char to move where they are now!

2) people want to play where their friends are

3) they want their char on a populated server

LET THEM! Don't burn your player base again!

They don't want to be forced, just because your server guys are afraid top servers will get a queue. Big deal.. let servers queue! I'll take queues to having 5 people total on the fleet! Pops will settle after time and that queue will reduce & vanish.

I'm very passionate about my members and their in game enjoyment! I hope you can reverse this terrible move. I would prefer not to loose more good people to bad choices.

Best wishes,

- Kismet

Leader, Ring of Destiny

Thank you Kismet. My thoughts exactly.

This is Bioware, can't eve do simple stuff right.

This is one of the worst posts that I have ever seen. My problems with it can't even begin to be covered here without my post being deleted. Bus seriously if you have such little faith in Bioware why didn't you unsub?