Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

the thing is.... they KNEW that a ton of people re-rolled to the higher population servers... this would be an easy fix if they just made those servers with the higher pops be able to move to whatever ddestination server they want! 3/4 of these high pop servers are full of gosh danged RE ROLLS! If they allowed for the high pops to go to wherever/whatever type of destination server they want then people can EASILY consolidate their chars. Come on Bioware... use those brains of yours. this is a simple thing that will allow them to have a majority of their player base be happy. .

MMO's seem not to realize if you have one 50 on a server you're already populating that server and prolly not going anywhere. So transferring your other 7 50's from another server really doesn't affect anything. you can only play one at a time, and since we're there 8 hours a day anyway what are you affecting on the server? by playing a different 50 are you changing anyones playing experience? at all?

So I wish to inform the people of Fatman: I already have a 50 there :) If my other 5 50's get transferred there it changes nothing for you...right?

JMHO

Edited by BashFall

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So after reading all of this, I came to the conclusion that the process is exactly the same as the original population transfers Blizzard did way back in Classic Warcraft.

Select servers only, maintaining the server transfer types, guilds not transferring, et cetera. Obviously guild banks can't be compared since Warcraft didn't have them at the time. The "free" select transfer system here is nearly identical and is going to be a repeat of the same FUBAR that plagued Warcraft in 2006 and 2007 and led them to pushing paid transfers out.

As someone who remembers how that played out back then when I had some alt raiding characters on (at the time) a low population server, let me refresh everyone's memories: The transfer system was so terrible only a handful of people used it while the rest chose to stay on their "dead" server, hoping for a better solution, even if it cost money. You had no control over where you got to go: Blizzard chose the source server and destination servers. Blizzard arbitrarily decided when a destination server was no longer receiving transfers so if you didn't get all your characters there by that time, well, too bad. Of course, players weren't privy to knowing when that time was until after transfers were stopped.

I said it before and I'll say it again. This system isn't going to be a panacea. A lot of people will not like the restrictions, just as they didn't when the same system was used by Blizzard.

This is just another example of Bioware being 5 years behind the curve.

I'm sorry if this has been asked already but I'm not going to troll a few dozen pages to find it.

Will Cargo holds transfer with us during this? My guild has quite a bit of gear in the bank and we're trying to figure out the best way to move it all with as few people as possible

Don't quote me but I think your personal cargo holds will transfer with you.

Sorry if this has been answered already, but if a player is on a PVP server and was hoping to move to a PVE or RP server, will there be some PVE or RP servers in the mix or just PVP servers?

For free transfers this is how they said it will work at least from my understanding.

PVP> PVP

PVE>PVE

RP/PVE>RP/PVE

RP/PVP>RP/PVP

Will it cost money, that's the real question.

The transfers scheduled for t he 12th will be free. Later versions of character transfers, which allow for more freedom of choice when it comes to which server you want to move to, may and probably will (that is my guess anyway) require a fee.

"Only selected servers"? My server isn't completely dead but i still want to transfer to another. If "The Shadow Runner" isn't a "selected server" even though I never get to do FP or WZ then I unsub and will probably won't come back, not a great loss for anyone but for me, it's kind of a dealbreaker.

"Only selected servers"? My server isn't completely dead but i still want to transfer to another. If "The Shadow Runner" isn't a "selected server" even though I never get to do FP or WZ then I unsub and will probably won't come back, not a great loss for anyone but for me, it's kind of a dealbreaker.

Out of interest if 'never getting to do a FP or WZ' isn't 'completely dead' what is ?

No worries, The Shadow Runner has been pronounced completely dead, like 4 months ago already.

My guess is that servers with standard population will be the destination ones, not the origin

I've got a question that hopefully someone can answer about the Legacy names.

I've got a fairly popular legacy name, thats probably already been taken on all the servers. If I transfer servers and the legacy name has been taken by an inactive account is there anyway that I can lay claim to this legacy name since I'm still paying for my subscription and they have quit the game?

The legacy is something that I always found really cool and I've built all my characters up around this name, even going as far as limiting myself to specific races with certain skin tones, and I would hate to have all that go to waste just because someone who played for a month then decided they didnt like the game picked the right server at launch.

I've got a question that hopefully someone can answer about the Legacy names.

I've got a fairly popular legacy name, thats probably already been taken on all the servers. If I transfer servers and the legacy name has been taken by an inactive account is there anyway that I can lay claim to this legacy name since I'm still paying for my subscription and they have quit the game?

The legacy is something that I always found really cool and I've built all my characters up around this name, even going as far as limiting myself to specific races with certain skin tones, and I would hate to have all that go to waste just because someone who played for a month then decided they didnt like the game picked the right server at launch.

From what I've understood, no, you will have to rename your legacy. In fact, everyone has to rename their legacy upon arrival on the destination server, but if your original legacy name hasn't been taken yet, you can claim it. If it has, there's no other option but changing your legacy name.

I see that you cannot change server type i.e. PVE to PVP, etc. However I have been wondering will it be possible to cross region transfer. For instance move from a North American Server to an EU one?

I saw somebody ask this on twitter the other day, they said wait for the release notes with the details.

It will all depend on what are the destination servers. I hope mine is one, as I don't want to transfer but its getting ridiculous now.

Usually only 10-15 on the Imperial Fleet.

Usually only 10-15 on the Imperial Fleet.
Wow 10 to 15 ppl this last week when I've logged in I've been the only person on fleet.. every day... Granted I'm EU based on a US server.. Hence the question. Basically my old guild who long since quit the server was both EU and US based and they decided on a US server, alas I think it would be best to move if possible to a different region.. I really don't want to re roll having put effort in to 6 toons on the server I'm on.. :(

It just kinda sucks iv been playing since release and iv been in two guilds that have completely dissipated. I want to join a new guild that actually play so if I have to move and go on a US server ill do it so I can actually enjoy the "MMO" part of the game. Edited by yobro

Why dont they make the group finder cross server can not understand why not this would also aleviate some transfer needs. It cant be hard to put in most MMO's coming out now rangeing from the good to bad have a cross server group finder.

Why dont they make the group finder cross server can not understand why not this would also aleviate some transfer needs. It cant be hard to put in most MMO's coming out now rangeing from the good to bad have a cross server group finder.

There are just as many arguments against a cross-server group finder. Besides, that wouldn't fix a dead economy, would it?

To "transfer all members" of a guild as a unit it'd be complete chaos, they're already looking at doing millions of transfers... to add a bunch of pissed off threads about being forced through the guild transfer to rename all of their characters without any choice at all was my point.

Fair enough, but for instance my guild is all going to move if that is what bioware decides our server is doing. We will not stay on a ghost town server, we will move as a group, i would rather have the option to move the whole guild, guild bank and all.

I think this a great news and I hope everyone that wants to enjoy the content can do so and meet new people. If there could be three or four servers like the fatman this would really improve the commentary in this forum.

Bioware and it's employees seem to be listening to the community and I don't know about you all but I can't wait to roll a thundercat Hooooooooooooooo!!!

Good lord, they said the date was June 12th to start. Can you all like... I don't know... WAIT UNTIL JUNE 12TH TO SEE THE ACTUAL SERVER DESTINATION DETAILS before you start writing books about how pissed you are?

Come on, people. Enough of this foolishness. Take a deep breath and wait until they release all of the details.

^ ^ this is so awesome!!!!!!

Hmmm let's see maybe because people might ninja the loot or need things they don't need in every FP, be extremely rude and nasty to people in the group because they know they'll never see them again and or just drop from the group as soon as you start the FP or heroic. Have you ever used dungeon finder or looking for fail I mean raid in World Of Restarts? Trust me you would rather not run FP or heroics than deal with a community like they've created. Personally I'd rather be on a dead server and the only time anyone talked to me was if it was an npc than use a cross server system.