Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Backpeddling

ripamorame

I like to think of myself as a decent player and i get ranged classes are bad at this moment but why oh why does 95% of people playing ranged and melee in some cases back pedal? I counted through 9 games until i met someone who didn't back pedal. It is obvious that a lot of people playing are new to mmos can bioware make a video on how to strafe or even do the running away jumping instant cast technique (Didn't know how to phrase it) I am going to sounds arrogant here but i think it would benefit the pvp community if the people posting on here and in pvp were better at the game as face tanking shouldn't determine if a class is op and shouldn't be the way every ranged class plays 95% of the time. Edited by ripamorame

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because strafing requires inconvenient keys by default or a keybind revamp and most people are lazy, I guess? It's also kind of clunky to have to hold down right-mouse to move your camera and certainly a bit jarring when switching from default controls, so people are intimidated by the change even if they do remap.

I like to think of myself as a decent player and i get ranged classes are bad at this moment but why oh why does 95% of people playing ranged and melee in some cases back pedal? I counted through 9 games until i met someone who didn't back pedal. It is obvious that a lot of people playing are new to mmos can bioware make a video on how to strafe or even do the running away jumping instant cast technique (Didn't know how to phrase it) I am going to sounds arrogant here but i think it would benefit the pvp community if the people posting on here and in pvp were better at the game as face tanking shouldn't determine if a class is op and shouldn't be the way every ranged class plays 95% of the time.

This aint Wow, back peddaling is not bad , the camera in this game is broken, there is no "casting" in this game

because there are no lol magicians or lolclerics or loldragons

Ranged classes are not bad at all at this moment in fact they are still better tah melee

You not only sounded arrogant but narrowminded and short of ideas to sound funny in this forum

Hey,

I'll post and ask the noob question, only because I want to hear people wider thoughts on PVP and "Backpeddling".

I've played MMO's for over 6 years now; coming from DDO-online into SWTOR. I've always played PVE as PVP has never been an interest. However, after coming to SWTOR the PVE sucks (IMO) and the PVP game is quiet nice (albeit, it has some issues). Anyway, having been a hardcore PVE player for a number of years I now find myself learning to PVP..... I use my "S" key (or key mapped "D") all the time. I have to say I don't find this to be a great disadvantage when I need to gain a wee bit of space for a ranged attack.; we are not talking about walking backwards half the map!

So, the noob question, what are all the advantages of NOT "Backpeddling"? Slower walking a few steps being obvious.

Cheers

Slider :)

I see most ranged classes backpeddal and I sometimes do on my merc, because if you turn around and show your back to your enemy, you're going to take more damage from him- would you rather take more damage and run away or keep facing him and do damage to him?

Hello,

In pvp I (Jedi Sage) use these types of movement

a) I chase someone down

b) I go turret mode

c) I run away as fast as I can

d) I position myself to knock an enemy into a trap^^ (that might include a step back)

In SWTOR -in theory- there is no use for ranged vs melee combat dance.

* The ranged player cannot maintain range against a melee player.

* The melee player cannot leave the cone of fire of a ranged player.

But -in practice- it is quite distracting when the enemy starts bouncing circles around you. It becomes tempting to try to "outmove" them. DO NOT DO THAT. - Remember: they cannot escape you, you cannot escape them, burn them down... Or at least keep throwing pebbles. :rolleyes:

Regards,

A

Hey,

I'll post and ask the noob question, only because I want to hear people wider thoughts on PVP and "Backpeddling".

I've played MMO's for over 6 years now; coming from DDO-online into SWTOR. I've always played PVE as PVP has never been an interest. However, after coming to SWTOR the PVE sucks (IMO) and the PVP game is quiet nice (albeit, it has some issues). Anyway, having been a hardcore PVE player for a number of years I now find myself learning to PVP..... I use my "S" key (or key mapped "D") all the time. I have to say I don't find this to be a great disadvantage when I need to gain a wee bit of space for a ranged attack.; we are not talking about walking backwards half the map!

So, the noob question, what are all the advantages of NOT "Backpeddling"? Slower walking a few steps being obvious.

Cheers

DDO vet here. Backpeddling to try and avoid someone atatcking you just won't work which is why its bad. You move slower they catch up. Its really that simple. Against melee their attackes are generally in the 4 meter range so if you can stay away from them you will avoid most of their attacks. Backpeddling is a sure way to allow them to close the distance.

The best thing to do is run circles. You can pan your camera at angle keeping them on screen. As long as they are on screen you can attack.

Backpeddling to setup better etc. with not having a melee on you is fine. Being attacked and backpeddling = very bad.

Hey,

Cheers

Typically ranged classes beck-pedal, because they try to increase distance while melee tries to close distance. So.. The 3 biggest ones would be:

1. Speed. Doesn't matter if opponent has gap closer or not. Moving away faster is always better than moving away slower.

2. Vulnerability. Exposing your back to opponents who have more powerful abilities when positioned behind you.

3. There's no reason to beck pedal ever. You can do everything you can while strafing that you can do while backpedaling. Some players think their abilities won't work unless facing the player, when in fact, you can throw attacks over your shoulder just as easily while running away. And some consider strafing as only moving to the side, when in fact you can strafe directly backwards with some mouse adjustment and take advantage of everything from above.

Players who argue that backpeddling is fine simply haven't mastered the movement of their character yet. Or find it awkward to hold the right mouse button down and maintain control over the camera.

Players who backpedal are by no means bad players. Some great players even claim to backpedal in order to draw fire or fake being a noob. I think that's bs personally but whatever.

Its clunky to strafe in this game. As a marksman gunslinger you really cannot strafe much anyways since so much of your dps needs cover. I run and try and legshot or CC. On melee if I am not fighting I am trying to get out of dodge. A few more dps hits of shock or wither wont save you from unbalanced odds.

Backpeddling to setup better etc. with not having a melee on you is fine. Being attacked and backpeddling = very bad.

I sort of disagree, but from a "tank" in pvp perspective. I try to draw folks away from places sometimes. The other night in Voidstar I happened to notice it working while I back pedaled. I had a trio of people after me. One melee 2 ranged. I'd back up, while slowly popping defensive abilities/relics/heals and they came right along with me, the ranged taking a few steps, shooting, the melee (he was pretty undergeared I am guessing) kept after me. I kept backing away slowly.

Slowly...

Slowly...

I bet they thought "hey look at this back pedaling nooblet" and had a good laugh until another stealther from my team slid in and bombed the door.

This aint Wow, back peddaling is not bad , the camera in this game is broken, there is no "casting" in this game

because there are no lol magicians or lolclerics or loldragons

Ranged classes are not bad at all at this moment in fact they are still better tah melee

You not only sounded arrogant but narrowminded and short of ideas to sound funny in this forum

Naw brother it's bad!

Are you serious?!

I play a commando - I have no flipping trouble at all back-peddling. I do it to stay alive. I go in, blow my load, step back, reload and heal by running near a medic. What advantage would there be to standing still or moving in more?! That would be stupid.

in PVE content backpedaling can be important on fights such as toth and zorn for range to position themselves exactly a fraction of a meter outside the 30 meter range of fearful debuff while engaging the target.

in PVP content backpedaling is used while targeting a gap closer class with another gap closer class to try and time yours to go off first allowing you to get first hit.

Are you serious?!

I play a commando - I have no flipping trouble at all back-peddling. I do it to stay alive. I go in, blow my load, step back, reload and heal by running near a medic. What advantage would there be to standing still or moving in more?! That would be stupid.

It's called strafing....

This aint Wow, back peddaling is not bad

*sigh* and this is why pugs are so terrible at pvp in this game...

Ofcourse back peddling works,i have moved back and had those mele's follow which was a bad decision by them because they moved out of range of their healer.

Backing up also helps in bringing someone away from an objective so that your teammate will Cap,also my blaster and pistol whip is at the ready hopeing the mele follows me as my slow release med pac kicks me another upperhand and then it's gravy time on my opponent.

Edited by Sathid

Its clunky to strafe in this game. As a marksman gunslinger you really cannot strafe much anyways since so much of your dps needs cover. I run and try and legshot or CC. On melee if I am not fighting I am trying to get out of dodge. A few more dps hits of shock or wither wont save you from unbalanced odds.

Honestly, I play a MM sniper and kite strafing works fine, you just need to use your skills to full potential. mainly, snapshot and don't use followthrough (trickshot) 'till you're moving again.

However sometimes I intentionly back peddle in matches like voidstar to keep people distracted 100m back in the first room after a door blows, they tend to give up if u strafe kite them and go to objective. if you allow them to still hit you while slowly drawing them further from objectives... it works for some reason.

I agree in any real situation where you want to live you need to strafe kite. You can strafe kite with the keyboard too but its not as precise. I've done it when I'm too tired to concentrate, but I don't recommend making a habit of it.

Backpeddling is only looked down upon because of guys in wow like Swifty who have a habit of saying things like "LOLZ Derp Backpeddler!" I don't have anything against the guy, but alot of WoW pvpers have made him and his opinions into god's gospel. This isn't WoW. Don't get mad when i kill you while walking backwards.... derp.

Strafe and you lose zero movment speed, keep LoS on target & limit Pos Req classes.

Backpeddle = BAD

If you use this @ anytime you are doing it WRONG.

Sorry this is NOT opinion this is fact.

I make a habit of back-peddling down the Voidstar hallways so that I can intercept people coming to stop us. I want to be the leap to target, not the Jedi sprinting to the controls. I'll also use it during combat to back up slightly so that I can still target the healer, but the Imp BH can't target me. You're making stupid assumptions.

Strafe and you lose zero movment speed, keep LoS on target & limit Pos Req classes.

Backpeddle = BAD

If you use this @ anytime you are doing it WRONG.

Sorry this is NOT opinion this is fact.

someone said when you kite a slowed melee between 4m and 10m it's good, and i can absolutely see that, just to argue against the never. I'd agree with it's not good 99% of the time though ;-)

Edit: also what the guy below said, using it as a taunt seems perfectly viable :-)

Edited by sanchito

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.