The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Cathar!

I see Cathar as a "cheap" race to give us since it's so easy to implement, I said I'd resub if they offered new races but this isn't one I'd consider returning for, Tagruta, Nautolan etc are worth it but looking like a human with fur isn't appealing.

Hmm, I can see you're going to be difficult to convince. What if we throw in blue and purple customization mods for your new furball playables - blue and purple cats are practically 2 new species! So you get 3 species for FREE!!!

Surely you'd pay a mere $15 a month for that!! Seriously, that's like 3 gallons of gas or 4 Starbuck's - and my mama always told me a purple cat in the hand is worth 4 Starbucks. For real.

Edited by jgelling

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, I can see you're going to be difficult to convince. What if we throw in blue and purple customization mods for your new furball playables - blue and purple cats are practically 2 new species! So you get 3 species for FREE!!!

Surely you'd pay a mere $15 a month for that!! Seriously, that's like 3 gallons of gas or 4 Starbuck's - and my mama always told me a purple cat in the hand is worth 4 Starbucks. For real.

i think people are just looking for something that's not human with different color/texture.

if you love cat-humans, grats. just saying that there's those of us that aren't big on different color humans.

i think people are just looking for something that's not human with different color/texture.

if you love cat-humans, grats. just saying that there's those of us that aren't big on different color humans.

Don't worry - they hear you - red will be an option too.

Well, there's a number of reasons I'm not resubbing.

1. Lack of Community - My server is practically dead. Also even if I try another server it feels nothing like the community you have in that other well known game, the planets separate the community to much, half the time the planet you're on feels like a ghost town, you may get 20 or so people in the same area and the zone chat is dead 98% of time.

2. PvP balance was horrible - Before the most recent large patch it was bearable, just, afterwards it wasn't. Maybe my server contributes to this but I didn't enjoy pvp any more.

3. Legacy System doesn't really work with the current system - You either level up an entire character to 50 to unlock a race which you then have to level up entirely for no further benefit, in fact you lose a character slot to do that, or you spend tons of credits and unlock the race, which basically just cuts out leveling the previous character up, all this is on one server at the moment as well.

4. All the species are boring - All of them are vague humans, if one thing makes me think of the Star Wars universe it's the diverse interaction between different species. Except you can only be a human or a different colour human or a human with little things hanging off you, I play a game because I want to be something entirely different to the norm, not 007 or a US Marine or Obi Wan Kenobi or Han Solo etc etc.

Yes I am probably going to be difficult to convince, but I've leveled three characters to 50 on a dead server and it's quite boring.

Edited by LordRaeth

So Bioware announces plans to implement a new race OUTSIDE AN EXPANSION - something MMOs simply do not do. They pick one of the consistent top choices for new races according to the community; a race certain to appeal to a lot of players. They pick a race that doesn't have odd clipping problems and one that speaks Basic so they can implement it more quickly and cheaply, which absolutely makes sense. And what happens? A goodly portion of the forum whiners moan and complain that they don't like this race, and therefore "nobody" wants it.

Seriously, there's no pleasing some people.

Exactly. Like I said before, you can pretty much forget about a non human-like player addition anytime soon. MAYBE with an expansion. With a humanoid all they have to do is use the same voiceovers and not have to worry about clipping/storyline issues. So the most you're going to get in the near future for free is Voss and Tagruta in addition to the Thundercat race. Adding a Jawa or a Wookie or a Transdosian or other crap like that will take more time and resources and they won't implement that until an expansion.

I'm glad to see Cathar will be playable, I think they look cute and exotic, and they shouldn't have any issues with gear. ^^

As for Togruta, I'd love to see them as playable but I can see why they were passed over in favor of Cathar. Unlike Twi'lek lekku, Togruta head thingies rest on the shoulders and chest, and directly on the back. I'm trying to imagine a Togruta in one of those Smuggler coats with a puffy collar, or in one of the many chestpieces with stuff on the shoulders, and all I can see is clipping, clipping, and more clipping. :(

I think I'm more annoyed by the fact that people actually like Cathar than BioWare actually implemented them. There's no accounting for taste---the species deserves to be in the wastebin, not on the character select screen. Cathar are that lame.

Next up: the Fluffar, a sentient bunny species. Furry enthusiasts flock to SWTOR in droves, subs go up, EA is happy. :rolleyes:

I think I'm more annoyed by the fact that people actually like Cathar than BioWare actually implemented them. There's no accounting for taste---the species deserves to be in the wastebin, not on the character select screen. Cathar are that lame.

Why? Your not giving any evidence, other then "I don't like them."

Why? Your not giving any evidence, other then "I don't like them."
I never claimed that I was putting forth a scientific assertion. I know that on the intarwebs people feel the need to qualify their statements with IMO, IMHO, IMSHO and other nonsense, but in the real world one does not have to qualify one's opinion by explicitly stating that it is one's opinion. In the absence of hard data, a reasonable reader should be intuitive enough to understand that it is implied.

I never claimed that I was putting forth a scientific assertion. I know that on the intarwebs people feel the need to qualify their statements with IMO, IMHO, IMSHO and other nonsense, but in the real world one does not have to qualify one's opinion by explicitly stating that it is one's opinion. In the absence of hard data, a reasonable reader should be intuitive enough to understand that it is implied.

Well you typed it up looking as if you were.

I want more classes and be able to customize my ship similar to how personal housing is handled in other mmos. I could care less if they add every single race in Star Wars existence, a BH is a BH regardless of skin.

Can I just say for the record. Selkath are more Star Wars than anything else created by Bioware... they can't get it wrong ALL the time, alll they need now is a better name for them!!

Personally I would have been happy with Kubaz or Duros or a Gand or Arcona or Aqualish or Kiffar or..

Man screw the haters, I'm happy about Cathar. It's better than nothing and contrary to people's apparently selective reading comprehension skills and memories, it was a very highly requested race or so my forum perusing seemed to indicate.

What I want we may never get since they don't speak Basic--Trandoshans and Rodians. Maybe Wookies. The problem? Look at Cathar. "Bioware we want more species!" "We give you...CATHAR!" "We want something else!" It would turn into "Bioware we want something that isn't near-human!" "But it won't be able to speak Basic, and will only sound like gibberish!" "We don't care, it will be so epic!" *Three days after race patch goes live* "Bioware make my wookie/rodian/trandoshan speak basic god I'm so sick of the subtitles all the time and blah blah blah blah whine whine whine hipocrisy hipocrisy hipocrisy histrionic tantrum you guys cant do anything right god".

Seriously. Cathar are fine. They've been around since KOTOR 1. I'm not a furry, nor do I know any furries, but I know plenty of people excited about Cathar nonetheless. What's the BFD?

Bioware implements Togruta instead? People whine about the clipping and complain that Bioware does nothing right and who the hell wanted Togruta anyway omg bw sucks cant do ne thing right im unsubbing whine whine whine some more.

Edited by eldefail

While I probably won't create a Cathar character, I'm glad they're adding it in for those who want it. More options are always a good thing.

I'd personally love to see more iconic Star Wars species, like Wookiees, Trandos, Bothan's etc. But I understand that it is much more complicated than just swapping character models for cutscenes. I'd much rather see them implemented properly, with their own armor models, story and even classes so they're just not thrown into a story that doesn't make sense for that specie.

Hopefully, with the addition of the Cathar, this means we'll see more obscure species later on. :cool:

Why not sexy (female) togruta!? :p

A lot of people have already answered this question in this very thread. Togruta anatomy, with the head-horn-tentacle things, is more complicated than Twi'leks... and Twi'leks STILL have clipping issues with headgear in game. Togruta would have considerably worse clipping issues with pretty much all headgear in game.

Cathar don't have clipping issues. They're cheaper and easier and faster to implement.

Edited by Aloro

Next up: the Fluffar, a sentient bunny species. Furry enthusiasts flock to SWTOR in droves, subs go up, EA is happy. :rolleyes:

No man, just no. That's a rip-off of the Lepi (Heavy sarcasm, obviously.)