Cathar!

I remember during beta the two most requested PC race additions were Togrutta and Cathar so I say good on Bioware for delivering one of them. Sure it's the easier of the pair but it's being added in a PATCH. And it's still more distinctive than "green skin" humans.

But I'm biased, I AM a cat person and still think WoW's worgen and pandas suck.

Some of you people will just hate on stuff no matter what.

The Cathar are awesome. You have my thanks Bioware.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Community: We want more species! GOD.

Bioware: We give you... CATHAR!

Me: I want a different one!

Bioware: ...

But seriously.

I hope the next one is trandoshan. I want to beat up a trooper named captain kirk in a hand to hand brawl as a trandoshan... really badly.

What do you guys want next?

(Ps: ty bioware for more species.)

Fixed in Red. It won't be the last. We are sure to see much more as time goes on. Getting a new race this quickly?! Never happen anywhere else.

The three species I have seen mentioned the most as needing to be playable are:

1.Toraguta

2.Nautolan (spelling)

3. Kel-dor

and as a bonus

4. Selkath

5. Voss

Edited by Tuscad

Welcome to TOR, where the vocal minority forum warrior cry incesantly over everything.

As much as I agree with you on the whining on the forum, in this case they might actually have a case. The devs have just recently promised that they're going to communicate with the customers more. And when they finally release a new playable species, they give us one that wasn't even in the top two (if not top three). This is not a good way to begin a new communications strategy.

I'm not particularly excited about Cathar and have absolutely no intention of playing one. I do realize though that a lot of people have been asking for it as a playable species and think it's great that this announcement will make all those people happy.

No matter what species they announced, some people would love it and some people wouldn't. As has been said there are hundreds (thousands?) of species in the Star Wars Universe. Given the issues with Twilek and even Miraluka wearing some items I understand how Cathar is the new species rather than Togruta or Nautolan.

It is pretty amazing introducing a new species in the first year of the game. Thank you Bioware. I hope to see more new playable species in the future.

A new race is nice but only one....meh... Its not like they need to do new voice overs. With the immense variety of races in Star Wars lore ...we get Cathar??? What about Rodians, Nemodians, Nautolans, Wookies, Bothans,Kel Dor, Mon Calamari, Kaleesh, Quarren, Trandoshan, Ubese and at least 4 or 5 dozen other races....hell even droids are better then Cathar,,,, It;s not like the different races have different a racial bonus, just some useless emote...

You don't seem to understand that almost all of those races would make no sense, they have to be able to use the current voice acting(must speak Basic) and be able to keep the emotional tension that we see in cut-scenes, they also have to be sensible for the romances.

Edited by Rayla_Felana

I've said it somewhere before, but I don't give two bantha poodoos about my character speaking Galactic Basic. I'll listen to a Wookie growl or a Selkath... do whatever it does for all 50 levels.

You're willing to sit through it, but that doesnt mean the dev team is willing to go to EVERY dialogue que in the game, and every different dialoge option to replace with growls, just for the sake of 1 species and then go all the way back through and do it again with wookiee roars for another species when they can instead just pop out one of the already many alreay present species that already looks "close enough" with those voices.

I always asked for Togruta. Which Togruta was most of the times ahead of Cathar in polls. Bioware choosing the easy way comes as a no surprise by now.

I STILL want Togruta.

Togruta and Cathar were my top two choices, so I'm happy. 90% of the races people ask for simply wouldn't work with the current class storylines due to dialog/romances. The people desperate for Rodians/Wookiees/Bothans/Whatever are going to be eternally disappointed, sorry.

You're willing to sit through it, but that doesnt mean the dev team is willing to go to EVERY dialogue que in the game, and every different dialoge option to replace with growls, just for the sake of 1 species and then go all the way back through and do it again with wookiee roars for another species when they can instead just pop out one of the already many alreay present species that already looks "close enough" with those voices.

Just because something requires work doesn't mean people shouldn't try. Using something because it's 'close enough' is just lazy design. The aim is to make a game that pleases the paying customer, not one that requires the least amount of effort. There are many people that would like Wookiees.

:csw_trooper:Personally, I’m not making a Cathar character, will hang out for my BH Trandoshan, would like to see the poll that was taken in regards to what species everyone wanted and where Cathars came on it, praise be to the scorekeeper. :csw_fett: Edited by Anarchistic

It's things like this that players really want to see. Throwing out another Warzone or Operation is all well and good, but once you've done them a few times they get boring, fast. Little things like this (Cathar not my favourite but a nice addition to be sure) are what make a game more enjoyable. Wish Bioware would focus more on customization and the personal experience each player has rather than spamming Ops and WZ's and new tiers of gear. Combat is fairly boring, so new species are a welcome addition and a good reason to re-roll a character :)

How about player housing now Bioware? :rak_03:

Edited by Mevan

Personally I want a Voss, but I'm logging on now to secure 'Lion-o' for the Jedi Guardian I plan to reroll with Cathar :D

Edit: Taken :< Managed to get Lion'o though ;) I'm the coolest guy on the internet

Edited by Ristle

Personally I want a Voss, but I'm logging on now to secure 'Lion-o' for the Jedi Guardian I plan to reroll with Cathar :D

Edit: Taken :< Managed to get Lion'o though ;) I'm the coolest guy on the internet

:csw_trooper:you are joking I hope, a Thunder cats character’s name in star wars. :csw_fett:

I always asked for Togruta. Which Togruta was most of the times ahead of Cathar in polls. Bioware choosing the easy way comes as a no surprise by now.

I STILL want Togruta.

This. A large majority asks for Togruta and you give us what? Cathar? Seriously? Wow, just don't know what to say anymore. You guys really don't listen, do you?

I've said it somewhere before, but I don't give two bantha poodoos about my character speaking Galactic Basic. I'll listen to a Wookie growl or a Selkath... do whatever it does for all 50 levels.

Screw that.... that would officially do my head in x 100.

Give me Basic or give me Death!!! (I would prefer Basic.. :D)

This. A large majority asks for Togruta and you give us what? Cathar? Seriously? Wow, just don't know what to say anymore. You guys really don't listen, do you?

I think they go with the opposite of what we say we want. You want Toraguta, have Cathar. You want Server Merges, those are a last resort. You want Kashyykk as a planet, have an original creation. We should just start saying the opposite of what we want so that we end up with what we want. :confused:

You don't seem to understand that almost all of those races would make no sense, they have to be able to use the current voice acting(must speak Basic) and be able to keep the emotional tension that we see in cut-scenes, they also have to be sensible for the romances.

So they only don't make sense if you assume BW is all about doing everything on the cheap with as little effort as possible. Sounds about right.

Some of you don't seem to realize the clipping and animation problems other species like Trandoshan would have in cutscenes. Are you suggesting that Bioware should edit all of these cutscenes so you can play as a wookie or trandoshan who don't even speak galactic basic?