Cathar as a Playable Species

iamthehoyden

I never liked the cathar, they always seemed way too lame. Imo more traditional races should be playable like the Togruta or Nautolan. Its just that cat people really don't appeal to me and I hope that they are not the only new playable race.

Players want diversity, so they are getting it. Define traditional species, because Cathar have been around since the 90's whereas Togruta and Nautolan have been around since 02. More to the point, both of them aside from some differences, pretty much look like Twi'leks.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get why people seem to think the Cathar men are often bald. Have you guys SEEN Crado's hair? It's a mane.

A species I'd love to see would be the Melodie, the only sentient species possibly created by Sith alchemy. I'd also like to play a Theelin...

I don't really mind Cathar as a legacy unlock, but I do think Republic needs a unique race. They're already down a race to begin with.

I suppose they are, but is that really even relevant? With 1.5m credits and enough Legacy you can play anything without even getting to 50. Legacy race unlocks basically gives both sides all of the races. Now if each race had its own unique story for each side and there weren't unlocks like that then I would see how that would be relevant. Sadly, neither is true.

In response to other new races to come I would absolutely count on the Voss becoming playable at some point as well as nautolans, togruta, and weequay.

I'd prefer to play some of the lesser known species, just because this way more people would learn about SW lore. I mean, how many people even know what Melodie are? I'd also like to play a Falleen, a Bothan, a Zeltron, a Zelosian, and a S'kytri. Admittedly the last would be difficult as you'd have to animate wings... Melodie shouldn't be too hard though...

Have to admit, not a fan of cat people in any kind of fantasy or sci-fi setting. It's not going to bother me if other people play them (except for all the lame cat names I'm sure to see), but I would prefer to see these species become character playable at some point: Nautolan, Sullustan, Togruta, Devaronian

Im sorry but i gotta say this... Cathar are one of my "least liked" races... you would think the first race in an expansion to have been either a Nautolan or Kel'dor being that Kel'dor were suppost to originally be in the game then they last minute removed them.. and they're my favourite race. Im sure there will be at least some good character creations in the cathar depeartment looking at Aric's customisations, however free slots or not i wont be making one

Species they should add for Trooper:

Gand

Weequay

they should add those for trooper because: Jorgan: Cathar=Playable Dorne: Human=Playable M1-4X: Droid= impossible to make Vik: Weequay=can speak basic, looks human Yuun=Gand dont have to speak basic, NPC aliens have subtitles all the time, why cant playable gand? the player can understand Yuun who doesent speak basic, why couldnt NPCs understand a player gand who doesnt speak basic? plus i want to gun down rakghouls like this: me--->:hope_05::wea_05::rak_01::rak_01::rak_01::rak_01::rak_01::rak_01::rak_01::rak_01: as a gand.

if they do that, troopers can play as the species of all their non-droid companions.

:hope_05::wea_05::rak_03:

WHERE DID THAT RAKGHOUL GET SUNGLASSES!?!?!?

Species they should add for Trooper:

Gand

Weequay

they should add those for trooper because: Jorgan: Cathar=Playable Dorne: Human=Playable M1-4X: Droid= impossible to make Vik: Weequay=can speak basic, looks human Yuun=Gand dont have to speak basic, NPC aliens have subtitles all the time, why cant playable gand? the player can understand Yuun who doesent speak basic, why couldnt NPCs understand a player gand who doesnt speak basic? plus i want to gun down rakghouls like this:

It is actually established Tanno doesn't understand whatever the Gand language is(comes up in dialogue if you bring Tanno with you when you first meet Yuun) and having a companion that you cannot speak wiith does not make a species desirable from a design perspective. It is also established in the same dialogue that the reason the Trooper understands the language is because it is part of special forces training. Not every NPC in the world has special forces training, so that would be a good reason why some NPCs wouldn't be able to understand a Gand PC.

Although the real reason we won't be getting Gand PCs is because the devs don't want to have all the PC dialogue as a perpetual loop of alien tracks considering the number of lines the PCs speak compared to anything else in the game, and Gand are incapable of speaking basic.

• 1 month later...

I seem to remember a certain Gand named Ooryl Qyrgg (or something to that effect) who flew X wings and spoke basic.

That said...I don't like the bugs, and am not too terribly worked up that they're not in yet. I AM happy that the Cathar have been added. Juhani was my favorite character from KOTOR, and I intend to make a character in her honor. Seriously, the Cathar are the only people I like more than the Miralukas. When my Miralukan Sith was slaughtering Cathar on Taris (I utterly detest Taris), I found myself wishing they were the stupid Bothans.

• 2 weeks later...
I wasn't too taken with the humans but I just couldn't get into the other races either. The Cathar have been one of my favorite races since the original Knights of the Old Republic comics. I'll be rolling one of each class save my existing Gunslinger and Marauder (both humans).

I was hoping that they would make Cathar a playable species. It will be interesting to play as a Cathar Jedi or as a trooper. Besides I have wanted to play a Star Wars game where you play as a Cathar since they introduced the species through Juhani in KOTOR I. Edited by Kyriosgundam

For SWTOR, even the Selkath have been remodeled to have human bodies. No surprise that the Cathar have become another "humans with bumpy heads" alien.

They havent changed much from when the species first appeared in KOTOR. As to the Selkath I havent seen one in TOR yet so I wouldnt know how much BioWare changed them.

For SWTOR, even the Selkath have been remodeled to have human bodies. No surprise that the Cathar have become another "humans with bumpy heads" alien.

Humanoid, yes, but it's not the same body model that the players use. I think it's unlikely that you'll see body models other than the standard player ones already in use made available for future races.

Edit: woops, posted before I verified. I was thinking of the Selonians.

Edited by iamthehoyden