Cathar as a Playable Species

iamthehoyden

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Darth Mittens, Sith Sorceror awaits.

Darth Mittens and minion pounce on an enemy.

Mittens: "EAT ELECTRIC COCOA-FLAVORED DEATH, YOU CURRS!"

Minion: "What smells like burnt hair?"

Mittens: "Me, you idiot! Me!! You can't shoot electricity out of your paw and not singe fur. Don't get me started with how my fur stands up every time I Force Storm an area? I have to brush for hours to get it back into shape."

Minion: "Brush? With your tongue?"

*minion electrocuted until barbecued to a cinder*

Mittens: "Crap!!! Another hour of grooming"

*Starts licking his fur*

WIN!^

I LOL'd. :D Now, back to work for me. :p

i don t know what bioware did with all the negative comments about the super crappy cathar being added to the game but there certainly were a lot on the announcements from E3.

what about real star wars species like

rodians

togruta

nautolan

sullstan

wookies

trandoshians

selkath

keldorian

any of those would have been great, but you guys had to go with cathar. Cathar would have been great for wow but not everyone who plays swtor is umarried and will die alone with her 484,483 cats.

i don t know what bioware did with all the negative comments about the super crappy cathar being added to the game but there certainly were a lot on the announcements from E3.

rodians

togruta

nautolan

sullstan

wookies

trandoshians

selkath

keldorian

any of those would have been great, but you guys had to go with cathar. Cathar would have been great for wow but not everyone who plays swtor is umarried and will die alone with her 484,483 cats.

Cathar have been around for quite a while in the Star Wars universe, in case you haven't read the old Tales of the Jedi stories. Oh, and Juhani in KotOR is a Cathar. Seriously, get a grip, man. lol

I want Shistavanens! Cats vs Wolves! D:< Besides, Voovif Monn had an EPIC beard! Which he used, to summon clone gunships and troops. :p

Before anyone says it, Shistavanens were around long before Worgans in ANH.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

rodians

togruta

nautolan

sullstan

wookies

trandoshians

selkath

keldorian

Cathar have been around for a long time, mate. They've been popular for a long time. And just because Cathar are being added doesn't mean other species won't be added. Quite the opposite, in fact. No amount of complaining or arguing is going to change the fact that Cathar are making it into the game. It's best for everyone if you just be happy for the people that wanted it and look forward to the future.

However, many of the species you mention will likely never be added as playable because they do not fit into the criteria BioWare set forth a long time ago as to what decides if a species can be playable or not.

Wookiees and Trandoshans will never happen. Ever. Period. They can't speak basic, which means they can't be player characters. To my knowledge, Selkath also can't speak basic which rules them out.

Rodians, Sullustans, and Kel Dor are possible, but unlikely.

To my knowledge, Rodians can't speak basic. Even if they can, however, they are a bit too alien to fit in the criteria. Pretty much, if they don't more or less look like Humans they were ruled out.

I've never met a Sullustan that spoke Basic. Even if they can, they aren't a very diverse species. They don't allow for much customization as they all look pretty much the same.

Kel Dor are a neat species. I like them, and lots of people want them. However, they are a very alien species. They can't take off their masks in environments with oxygen: it's toxic to them. That makes the romances difficult. Also, they aren't the most diversified species. All of the Kel Dor I've seen look the same; which would make customization just as hard as the Sullustan.

Nautolan and Togruta, however, are in my opinion very likely additions. They fit all of the criteria. I wouldn't be surprised if they are the next species added to the game.

So just be patient. Cathar is the very first species being added. Not the only species being added.

Edited by Natharious

Just to clear something up something about Trandoshans. They can speak Basic. It's not their main language but they are capable of speaking Basic. This is no excuse for not eventually adding them. Some filtering/distorting of the current male/female voices would give the proper sound for a Basic speaking Trando. Same can be said for Rodians. Togruta will probably be the next race added, with nautolan not far behind. I'd still like to see Bothans added as well.

Just to clear something up something about Trandoshans. They can speak Basic. It's not their main language but they are capable of speaking Basic. This is no excuse for not eventually adding them. Some filtering/distorting of the current male/female voices would give the proper sound for a Basic speaking Trando. Same can be said for Rodians. Togruta will probably be the next race added, with nautolan not far behind. I'd still like to see Bothans added as well.

If you say so I'll take your word for it. I've never met a Tradoshan that spoke Basic, but if they are capable of speaking the language fluently then that does change things a bit for them.

However, that does not change the case for Wookiees. Wookiees are incapable of speaking Basic. Their vocal structure doesn't allow for it.

If you say so I'll take your word for it. I've never met a Tradoshan that spoke Basic, but if they are capable of speaking the language fluently then that does change things a bit for them.

However, that does not change the case for Wookiees. Wookiees are incapable of speaking Basic. Their vocal structure doesn't allow for it.

Except for that Wookiee with the speech impediment... well, technically he was still speaking Shyriiwook, but he was easier to understand than most Wookiees. Now if I could remember the name of the book he was in....

But your point is valid on Wookiees not being added as player characters.

Except for that Wookiee with the speech impediment... well, technically he was still speaking Shyriiwook, but he was easier to understand than most Wookiees. Now if I could remember the name of the book he was in....

But your point is valid on Wookiees not being added as player characters.

I believe it was the second book in the Thrawn trilogy,Dark Force Rising. Also, Lowbacca, Chewie's Nephew, had a little translator droid that he carried around all the time so everyone could understand him. this could be used for a Wookie playable race.

As for Trandos speaking Basic, this was established in the Clone Wars tv series, Season 3 if I am not mistaken. A trando spake to Ahsoka in accented Basic. She along with a trio of Padawans had been captured and stranded on a planet by trandos to hunt. I also believe this is when Chewie showed up in the series.

You may be right. I thought so too but I also thought he appeared in the second book. It has been a few years since I read them. It would take too long to go through and find him too. This thread would be forgotten by the time i found it lol.

I'm the same way, pretty much the only race that hasn't made it past level 3 with me is Rattataki, although Twi'lek doesn't really appeal either. That said, I love bald (and nearly bald) men.

But if they have some actual hair for the females I'll be in good shape - if they had something a bit Cheetara-like I'd be even better.

Yeah, to me they are adding Thunder cats to the game. Hate to add negativity to an otherwise positive thread, but Cathar are just another boring cat people. It's been done so many times in the past. They have so many interesting choices they could have made - Rhodians, Sulistans (loved Miel), Ithorians, Jawas, Nautilans, Voss, but they went with a race that is pretty much a staple of sci fi pulp stories.

Very disappointed. Sorry no rage or anything, but a definate lack of imagination on BW's part

Yeah, to me they are adding Thunder cats to the game. Hate to add negativity to an otherwise positive thread, but Cathar are just another boring cat people. It's been done so many times in the past. They have so many interesting choices they could have made - Rhodians, Sulistans (loved Miel), Ithorians, Jawas, Nautilans, Voss, but they went with a race that is pretty much a staple of sci fi pulp stories.

Very disappointed. Sorry no rage or anything, but a definate lack of imagination on BW's part

I disagree. Cathar are a very logical choice for a playable species. They are one of the most asked after species on the forums. They've been a part of the Star Wars extended universe for years; the first time the species was identified as being Cathar was in the year 1994.

In comparison, species like the Chiss - which are extremely popular do to such things as the Thrawn trilogy - had their first appearance only three years early in 1991. And species like the Sith (Purebloods), - while they might have had earlier appearances that I simply cannot find - the earliest I find mention of them is in the year 1996. Fans of the Star Wars universe were ecstatic when BioWare announced these species as playable.

What's more, this is only the first species BioWare is adding to the game. It is by no means the last. Further more, the announcement of playable Cathar was only a teaser of the content to come this year. There might be even more species in store to become playable this year as well, if not at the same time as Cathar. So the addition of Cathar should, by no means, be a disappointment. Even to the people that don't want to play them. To those people, it is confirmation that more species are coming to SW:TOR.

What's more, people need to stop asking for species that are never - ever - going to happen because of the restrictions caused by the way the game works. Species like Ithorian and Jawa will never become playable. For one thing, Ithorians can't speak basic. For another, the physical build of both the Jawa and the Ithorians would mean that they would need entirely original appearances for gear that already exists in the game. They can't wear the things Humans or Human-like species do.

And then species like Rodians and Sullustans are also unlikely. Rodians and Sullustans are extremely alien for Humanoid species. Their facial appearances alone make them unlikely candidates. Unless the species is a near-Human I wouldn't count on them being added. What's more, Sullustans are a very in-diverse species. Every single Sullustan that has appeared in canon has looked exactly the same as any other Sullustan. They aren't a species that could be readily added to an RPG - a game genre where character customization and uniqueness has become key.

Species like Voss are also unlikely in my mind. The species and the planet they live on (of the same name) didn't even exist until BioWare created them for SW:TOR. There are a multitude of other, iconic species that fit the criteria set forth by BioWare for playable species that could be added. To compile a small list:

Nautolan, Togruta, Chagrian, Devaronian, Nikto, Duros, and Iktotchi.

All of these species fit BioWare's criteria, and I wouldn't be surprised if many of them were added in the future. Again, Cathar are just the first. News of their addition should be exciting for everyone; it means there will be ever more species to come.

Complaining isn't going to change anything here. Instead, be happy for the people that wanted Cathar and look forward to the addition of more species in the future.

Edited by Natharious

No arguments against the lore of the Cathar, just that cat people have been done so many times from Buck Rogers in the 30s to CJ Cherryah's Chanur saga recently. It's just stale IMO.

I would like a sense of adventure in the game, but Cathar are just a stereo type of an alien. There are original races, wish they would use them

No arguments against the lore of the Cathar, just that cat people have been done so many times from Buck Rogers in the 30s to CJ Cherryah's Chanur saga recently. It's just stale IMO.

I would like a sense of adventure in the game, but Cathar are just a stereo type of an alien. There are original races, wish they would use them

And more than likely they will - at least the ones that are near-Human.

Look forward to those, mate. They're coming. :) Cathar are merely the very first.

And more than likely they will - at least the ones that are near-Human.

Look forward to those, mate. They're coming. :) Cathar are merely the very first.

I know that some players want completely non-human species, but the vast majority of people prefer aliens that are near-human. I get that; no arguments there.

I certainly hope they have other new races soon.

I can see nautolans and togruta being added - they both have fairly human-like faces in a general sense. Ithorians, wookies, trandoshans, mon cals, and rodians all have very non-human faces and so my basic feeling is we aren't going to see them being added any time soon, if ever.

I wish the Legacy unlocks worked within the story - or at least the story would moderately adapt to the species of the character. I have suggested before that the sith classes storylines should be based around species and not around class - if you are human or sith pureblood you get the sith warrior story regardless of your class while other species (the aliens) get the sith inquisitor storyline. Similarly if you are playing a sith pureblood jedi, or a republic character with an imperial species in general that the NPCs should react to it appropriately. The aforementioned example of telling a jedi that is a pureblood that the jedi will never accept a pureblood is a wonderful example of that.

I agree to a point the bioware teem know how to do a helmet plus I've seen all those races (expect rodians I just don't remember one:() in game already. Granted helmets wont show right if not at all, so all the teem has to do create some more skins for the various meshes and code them into the creation process. one race I would like to see is the Shistavanens, but I'm not holding my breath.

Edited by assetstudies

I don't get this argument. Everything in fiction, except for possibly the most absurd ideas, has been done before. Everything in fiction can be viewed as being stale at this point. So this complaint could really be used against any new species.

I don't get this argument. Everything in fiction, except for possibly the most absurd ideas, has been done before. Everything in fiction can be viewed as being stale at this point. So this complaint could really be used against any new species.

Hmm....true, I can't really think of anything that hasn't been done before. Whats there left to do?

Hmm....true, I can't really think of anything that hasn't been done before. Whats there left to do?

I would say read CJ Cherryhs Pride of Chanur series. She takes a "cat people" and makes them fresh, she gives them depth, The Hani in her book are well developed and multi dimensional - they live in Prides (like Lions) and toss out the males when they reach adolecence. And won't let males in space because they are emotionally unstable (so they think). So when Tully, a human, hides on their ship they won't trust him because he is a male.

Then read Downbelow Station or the Foreigner series, and see aliens that are completely new, and entire societies. Also by Cherryh, who is a master at alien species

Orson Scott Cards Ender's Game also has a lot of new stuff, and so does Generation Warriors though I can't remember the author. Its a society based on sublight travel where people don't age while travelling but their world around themn does and how a society where everyone ages at different rates works.

Repent Harlequin! said the Tick Tock man by Harlan Ellison also goes into a lot of new territory.

Surface Tension, can't remember the author, is a short story that goes into a tiny alien species whose big problem is to over come the surface tension of their pond water to see what is in the universe beyond.

The Ballad of Lost C'Mell is an excellent short story on a cat people completely different than the stock ones.

Or if movies is your preference, watch La Belle et la Bette to see a cat like telling ofd Beauty and the Beast which is completely original, but if you can't stand subtitles Blade Runner still is amazing to see how replicants (cyborgs) work. Especially when you realize Fords character is one also.

There are lots of new ways to do old ideas. Star Wars is a new way to go over old themes in itself.