How un-subbing doesn't help population

ZirusZero

Let's not pretend that alot of these MMO players today are WoW players looking for that WoW killer MMO to pull them from thier addiction of it. When that MMO doesn't come with all the bells and whistles like a 7+ year old game, they whine, whine, whine then move on the NEXT new MMO and rinse and repeat. Destroying that new MMO. I have seen this BS happen to ALL new MMOs I have play. And I expect this to happen to any future MMO, no matter how great it is. People want Ez-mode MMOs now with fast food add-ons you can think of.

PvP can be little distraction for a bit for these band-wagon players. But after a few months when the players who actually perfect the PvP gameplay and gear up. The casuals, these fairweather players, will start the whine posts and threaten to quit because they can't compete anymore in the few hours they play a week. Or the hardcores who level to max in a few weeks and complain that there is nothing to do.

Blizzard treats thier players like moody spoiled brats that just want things handed to them. Giving in to whatever demands thier player base wanted. And what gets hurt at the end is the MMO community as a whole. When a noisy 14 year old teen holds alot of power in a given MMO forum and the sheep follow along to influence the devs to changing a game. That is a sign that the MMO gaming industry is slowly die.

Why is it a bad thing that companies design games with what their customers want in mind ? Your cranky feckless tirade against video games consumers reeks of desperation - you like the game so there must be something wrong with everyone else.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Every major game in recent memory has had this issue, and thus it is hardly one that should be a surprise to someone developing an MMO. What is a surprise is that the game company didn't have transfer code written/tested/in place before the release of the game.

They did - it was working nicely in closed beta during limited tests. It just wasn't tested with Legacy because Legacy hadn't reached alpha yet. Edited by GalacticKegger

Don't blame the smart ones that see the writing on the wall. MMO veterans know exactly what is happening.

I'm smart, I'm an MMO veteran, and I ain't going anywhere. Feel free to voice your opinion on the game, but don't for a moment pretend to speak for those of us who enjoy it.

Every major game in recent memory has had this issue, and thus it is hardly one that should be a surprise to someone developing an MMO. What is a surprise is that the game company didn't have transfer code written/tested/in place before the release of the game.

Go ahead and list the MMOs that had server transfer in place when they were released:

1. ____________________________________________

2. ____________________________________________

3. ____________________________________________

4. ____________________________________________

5. ____________________________________________

Look, before you ask, it's not only Bioware's fault, but the community's. By un-subbing, the population lowers, in which ironically people un-sub about there being low population *Chuckles*. However, this is also bioware's fault by spreading out the community in having too many servers. Just my 2 cents here.

So are you saying people should pour their money into a something that do not enjoy and is an inferior product to other products? I've seen stores complain like this, "Oh there just aren't the customers" or "they want to shop there? fine let them go" what happens? Those shops close down.

People have choice, EA refuses to listen to or give honest feedback to its customers. The game could have been amazing, but it just doesn't compare to current offerings by other companies. I could go on to list why I unsubbed, and my entire guild as well, but I done that already in the leavers thread, where I listed 20 reasons instead of the requested 5. I'm playing a mix of Tera and WoW now, and it's great.

They were full only because the pop caps were adjusted so low.

Which makes it Bioware's fault. They should have increased the caps before adding more servers. Doesn't matter how you spin it, all these population issues are in fact 100% of Biowares fault.

Its really simple, if its not worth your money than you should not spend your money. Although I continue to subscribe I certainly do not have any grudge towards anyone who felt they could better spend their money else where. For all the people that are bemoaning the Re-rollers and unsubbers for ruining the game should probably open their pocket book and fork out money for these people to play and then maybe they would have the right to impose what everyone else should do. Absolutely moronic. Edited by Shadezilla

Yup. Blizzard can't do anything but cater to "babies" anymore. Just look at Diablo 3. The only challenging thing in that game is getting online and staying connected.

They have taken the challange out of gaming. Remember when Mario died and had to redo the WHOLE level. No save points. Gaming changed at the turn of the century because some guy in a suit said, "let's just make a ton of money...who cares if people have fun anymore."

For any company to copy anything Blizzard does since WoW makes you want to have them checked for inbreeding. (no offense to any inbred gamers out there).

At least a few companies are willing to stick with the challenge aspect of gaming, even if they sell fewer copies and get slammed for it.

The only thing challenging in SWTOR is finding people to play with :rolleyes:

Go ahead and list the MMOs that had server transfer in place when they were released:

1. ____________________________________________

2. ____________________________________________

3. ____________________________________________

4. ____________________________________________

5. ____________________________________________

he didn't say the other games had transfers in place, he said there were mmos that he can think of that had major issues with population dropping soon after launch

Warhammer Online

Rift

Age of Conan

are a few that I can name.

In this day and age, MMOs don't grow anymore. Instead they get their highest numbers at launch and it goes down from there. Bioware should have seen this coming, and made plans for it.

Edited by Wolfeisberg

Hi OP:

While technically correct, your post is extremely foolish.

I agree with this guy. It's not my fault if I decide to unsub from a game that's not living up to my expectations. That's just good sense. Wise to pay for something that you don't like, it is not.

Its really simple, if its not worth your money than you should not spend your money. Although I continue to subscribe I certainly do not have any grudge towards anyone who felt they could better spend their money else where. For all the people that are bemoaning the Re-rollers and unsubbers for ruining the game should probably open their pocket book and fork out money for these people to play and then maybe they would have the right to impose what everyone else should do. Absolutely moronic.
Not sure I'd consider it moronic. Narcissistic maybe, though that applies to both sides in both directions. Edited by GalacticKegger

Why is it a bad thing that companies design games with what their customers want in mind ? Your cranky feckless tirade against video games consumers reeks of desperation - you like the game so there must be something wrong with everyone else.

Nailed it.

Look, before you ask, it's not only Bioware's fault, but the community's. By un-subbing, the population lowers, in which ironically people un-sub about there being low population *Chuckles*. However, this is also bioware's fault by spreading out the community in having too many servers. Just my 2 cents here.

The problem is that people started originally unsubbing for various reasons, which were initially not realted to population. Obviously at some point this turned into a snowball effect of people unsubbing because of population issues.

However, what can we do? For the most part unsubbing while giving proper reasoning as to why doing so, is probably the single most useful thing to do in order to show the developers some dissatisfaction. Whining on the forums is not always going to help. Voting with your wallet, is. Sooner or later. ;)

I am also not convinced that solving the population issues through transfers (which needs to be done, no doubt about that) is going to solve the long term sub bleeding. I still believe most people are actually leaving because of being unhappy with certain aspects of the game and certain dev decisions and probably also thanks to complete developer ignorance regarding many issues. To solve the greater issue, we need to find the root of the problem rather than trying to treat the symptoms.

Yes we should all continue to reward Bioware's blatant incompetence by paying our monthly subscriptions so that "one day" they can figure out how to run an MMO. That's a geniius point.

that armchair must be comfy you sitting in while you run an mmo

oh,thats right.you've never in your life ran a mmo,never the less a actual company.but you think you know all about it right

Edited by CrunkShizzle

My two cents: Doesn't matter what a game has or doesn't has if you don't like it then don't play it. Offer some feedback on what would make it more fun for you.

Oh i liked what i heared about this game, what i saw and what plans they had for the future.

I was pretty excited, full of hype, couldnt get in soon enuff.

It was fun first, but then ... well i had a second superweapon to destroy, a third .. oh dear.

All what i've seen by advertisements, videos and promises have their only reason to drag me into something, that is completely wrong advertised.

I was willing to settle down FOR YEARS !

I saw the EXACT SAME TUNNEL ENTRANCE after 15mins in game at a another place.

I could resist for nearly 6 months now !

And now, it is MY OWN FAULT to be here, posting my dissapointment arround words, that pass the darn filter and dont upset anyone, instead of logging in.

Well, i have some days left and when i stopped posting here, im simple gone.

blubb

Edited by rawfox

But they had it fixed in a little over 3 weeks. The few they'd have lost from long queues during that month (in hindsight) would have been a great trade for the situation we're in now. Most who started this are long gone and probably laughing in their rear view mirrors.

What I mean is though, servers that had great populations till well into March and April are still ghost towns.

Whilst the exodus of subs from low pop servers can be explained in a number of ways, the exodus of subs from high pop servers shows there is much more at fault than purely spread population. :(

that armchair must be comfy you sitting in while you run an mmo

oh,thats right.you've never in your life ran a mmo,never the less a actual company.but you think you know all about it right

Oh gee, you should ask people from bioware.

Actually he/she makes a good point and so do you to an extent.

The fact is that generally a customer doesn't know what they want even if they think they do. They know what they like and don't like but most can't articulate that well enough for video games companies to actually implement it right and even if they do then somebody else will probably want it done differently.

Also, for every person who is complaining on the forums they don't like something, there are 100 people who never even bother to visit the forums because they are satisfied with the way it currently behaves. How does the company know that the vocal minority shouting about something on their forums represents the wider population?

There is no problem giving the customers what they want as long as you listen to the right customers. If you listen to vocal minority and they turn out to be wrong then the silent majority who were previously content with your game will start dropping subscriptions and they aren't the kind to come on forums to warn you or explain why.

Of course, sometimes that vocal minority is actually representing the thoughts of the wider community, the hard part is recognizing the difference and using your internal stats to make informed decisions.

Edited by RangerRobEU

Seriously is this thread for real?

Let me run you through a few points of this game development and launch.

90% of that was just whinning and nit picking....

Also make sure to put the vendor in a non neutral area so others can grief players who are trying to trade their tokens.

Like this. why the heck did you roll in a PVP server if you are going to whine like a little girl if you get killed in a neutral area?

Dude, if you get pissed by this kind of stuff there will be no game that you'll like, you have unsubbed and you are still posting, if there was a better game out there you'd be playing that instead of lurking the swtor forums, I always find if very creepy that unsubbers stick around and keep posting.