star wars vs. star trek

JHawx

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it is not a guestion, its link to an image, as swtor does not allow posting direct links to images.

let me rephrase that, swtor does not provide ability to show images on theyr forums, via linking and using phpbb to show it to you.

Edited by JHawx

Personally I've never understood why Star Trek is so popular, seems really boring to me.

Star Wars, in my opinion, is more of a fantasy adventure type story, whereas Star Trek is just a Science Fiction thing.

is this a discussion on who would win in a fight or which franchise is more fun?

I would agree with you that Star Wars is more fun although I do love the new Star Trek movie more then the prequels.

Personally I've never understood why Star Trek is so popular, seems really boring to me.

Star Wars, in my opinion, is more of a fantasy adventure type story, whereas Star Trek is just a Science Fiction thing.

It really depends a lot on how old you are.

If you're old enough to remember "Snidely Whiplash", the kind of Villian who's MO usually involved tying some helpless twit-girl to the train tracks, then it's Star Wars. High melodrama in space; Darth Vader in particular is VERY much an old fashioned "bad guy"; only thing he's missing is the handlebar mustache !

If you grew up watching Bonanza, then it's all Trek. Kirk, Spock, and the rest were just cowhands out havin' a good 'ol time fightin' the Indians, hittin the bars (and the broads), etc. Spock is Little Joe (the boring, stright-laced one), Kirk is Hoss (the "thick" one), and McCoy/Scotty are Adam (the "responsible" one who occasionally ties one on).

You know the Vorlons are the best :)

To be truthful it always kinda bugs me when people strt comparing difrent franchises. I personal like both Star Trek and StarWars I also like Firefly and Babylon 5 I even enjoyed the original Battle Star Galatica. Every franchise has it's own unique points and apeals to difrent people. That is a good thing life would be very boring if we where all the same.

You know the Vorlons are the best :)

To be truthful it always kinda bugs me when people strt comparing difrent franchises. I personal like both Star Trek and StarWars I also like Firefly and Babylon 5 I even enjoyed the original Battle Star Galatica. Every franchise has it's own unique points and apeals to difrent people. That is a good thing life would be very boring if we where all the same.

Vorlons are no better then the Shadows. Just different sides of the same coin. Techno-mages FTW.

Oh look, that debate that has been done to death just on this forum, never mind outside of it.

Also, way to make the assumption that Star Wars lasers are anything like lasers in our universe, when in-fact the title laser was just pulled out of Lucas' ***, whilst writing the script.

Also, Star Destroyers DO have shields, very strong ones at that.

and for all this talk of how much more realistic and scientific Star Trek is, if you actually pay attention to some of the crap they have come out with, it's no more realistic than Star Wars.

Other than the fact that they both take place in space, Star Wars and Star Trek are so different that it's difficult to compare them. They really aren't even in the same genre. Star Wars is a futuristic high fantasy. Star Trek is about humanism. There's always at least one character that is overtly struggling about what it means to be human (Data, Odo, 7 of 9). Furthermore, while Star Wars tends to have struggles between good and evil, Star Trek is more often about moral dilemmas that are internal struggles within a character.

That said, if the borg managed to assimilate a couple of sith lords, most everything in the star wars universe would be pretty screwed.

Edited by Mendellium

I like Star Trek for it's Space (Naval) Combat, and engaging characters like Q, but a lot of it is hard to handle, mostly due to bad writing... I also find molecular trannporting hard to handle, just seems like a cheap setting change utility to me.

I am still trying to get through Enterprise... Terrible plot advancement, and a lot of the guest stars are terrible.. I watch it for the lore, nothing more.