Official Q&A Thread for February 24th, 2012 Q&A Blog Post

JovethGonzalez

Question: PvE Tank Defenses

Currently PvE tanks can hit several of thier defensive caps/soft caps. I was wondering what design thoughts are being given to the future of PvE tanks in the game?

I ask becasue if caps are being hit currently, when the game expands, tanks have nothing to "expand into" for defense.

Concerned Tank with: 50% DR (capped at 75% with temp buff), Defense 22% (cap is 30%), Shield Chance 50% (capped, but contested, so over cap is fine), Shield Absorb 50% (capped).

• Replies 903
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that each faction is built on 4 classes with each having 2 advanced classes and each advanced class having, in most cases, 2 distinctly different build options and a shared option.

I also know that the classes are mirrored when it comes to abilities. But, a smuggler does not feel the same as an agent, nor does a bounty hunter feel the same as the trooper, etc.

Now, obviously, we know that the Mandalorians allied with the Sith and that the bulk of the Smuggler's alliance allied with the Republic. But what doesn't make sense is that one can find Imperial Troopers and Freelance smugglers all over the game working for the Empire and Republic Spies and Mercenaries as well. Not every bounty hunter is a mandalorian, nor is every smuggler part of the alliance.

I understand the level of effort that went in to creating each classes story and do not want to detract from that. Ideally at level 50 (or after you finish your classes story) would be the best time to make what I am asking work. Here is my question.

Will it ever be possible for a Smuggler (or Agent, Trooper or Bounty Hunter) to defect to the opposing side?

One of the things I miss the most is a sophisticated LFG tool. I love doing Flashpoints, but as it is now, to do a Flashpoint one has to go to the Fleet and spam the general chat to find other players. Usually I am too impatient and leave for a planet after like 10-30mins of what feels like wasted time and not doing a Flashpoint.

(Yes, there is the LFG button and Yes, one can use the "Who" Window to search all "LFG" players serverwide, but hardly anyone is using that feature. Besides that it doesnt work anymore if the player changed the LFG text and that one cant read all of the LFG comment in the "Who" Window.)

Thus my question: Will you be providing a LFG tool? What will be its features? How will it be intended to work and when can we expect it to go live?

(Id love a tool where players could simply check any available heroic/FP/OP mission as LFG, allowing others to simply search for others being flagged LFG for the respective mission. Also please raise the cap of the missions in the mission log, 25 is just way too few!)

What can we expect out of the legacy system, once it is implemented (as far as content within it)?

I'm truthfully hoping it won't be just cheap gimmicky stuff, but will include perhaps special abilities for classes, stat cap raises, even giving more talent points to spend, etc (basically I'm thinking of the Everquest Alternate Advanced system here). Vanity and gimmicky stuff is fun and all, but I feel introducing elements that can potentially make characters more powerful will really give people something to work towards.

Will the character restrictions for guild names ever be lifted? Currently numerals, punctuation, and consecutive capital letters are prohibited which can making naming a military-themed guild very difficult and frustrating.

For instance, names like "501st Legion" or "47th R.E.F." aren't acceptable.

Edited by Cavadus

Would like information on any plans to add ship decorations / trophies. One of the things I always loved about MMO's was the ability to decorate your house or guild hall. While I myself was never all that great at it (but loved trying!), I was constantly amazed by the creativity of the community at large.

well i have not seen this one asked yet so hear goes. I have lots of useless commendations sitting in my inventory. Is there any plan to have a "trade in" program? i do not need any centurion comms but need champ maybe like a 5:1 ratio for a trade in.

well i have not seen this one asked yet so hear goes. I have lots of useless commendations sitting in my inventory. Is there any plan to have a "trade in" program? i do not need any centurion comms but need champ maybe like a 5:1 ratio for a trade in.

^agreed!

also, any plans to make the rest of the Dread Master's gear set available for our characters? Sorcerers have PvP gear that looks like it, but what about the other Dread Master outfits?

Bioware announced there will be new playable species in the upcoming patches. That being said, is there a possibility for adding additional character slots on each server?

The reason I ask, I currently have 6 toons on the Canderous Ordo server. My intent is to create 1 for each class. In the future, I may decide to roll another toon with a different AC than what I have now. I'd prefer to not have to delete one of my current toons or play on another server when I decide to do that.

Aside from tab targeting not performing to the standards or expectations from many players, is there any hope of at least changing click targeting to work so that the target takes place on the button press rather than the button release as it is currently? If tab targeting ever undergoes an overhaul (as well as possibly making the targeting area on players larger (rather than just the character graphic itself)), this small change would at least help a little bit of targeting frustration, namely in PvP.

On the issue of targeting, is there anyway while you're doing UI changes you could include different target notification options? For instance, currently the only way you know where your target is, is by finding the extremely small red circle beneath the target's feet. In chaotic situations, it's nearly impossible to see - possibly an arrow indicator over your targets head, or a high lighted unit frame option would be a few options that could be added.

Currently a lot of the player base has a negative outlook on the stat Alacrity. With a lot of classes itemization we're forced to buy other classes gear and remove the mods just to be optimal. The process is so terrible that we're replacing higher mods in our Rakata gear with mods from Columi gear. Playing a class with a lot of instant casts Alacrity has no benefit due to abilities being tied to animations and the gcd. Even hots and dots don't get increased speed making the stat worthless for a lot of us.

Is there any plans to adjust Alacrity (similar to the surge changes) or make changes to the stats on gear to be more useful?

As a jedi shadow I get the ability to use electrostaffs and vibroswords. Many important abilities of the shadow are bound to be used by double bladed lightsaber only (e.g. Shadow Strike, Force Breach, Combat Technique and everything that builds on it).

I know, lightsaber is the symbolic weapon of the jedi, but practically nobody uses these alternative weapons (apart from companions) after the first few levels because of the limitations.

Could we expect the jedi shadow abilities to ever be usable with electrostaffs or vibroblades or any other change that would make these weapons an alternative to use?

Why are all "hostile" enviroments on planets are actually friendly? You don't need any extra meds on Quesh every X minutes, you don't need any extra water (or any heat-protective stuff) on Tatooine and you can walk around Hoth in a light robe (if not in slave girl's outfit). Is it intended and final? Could there be any changes that would improve immersion and add some variety to gameplay?