Legacy is doing what, exactly, for non-alts...?

jimmybob

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BW: "We have this great legacy system feature that we will be putting in the game."

Players: "Really, what is it?"

BW: " We aren't ready to say, but we're excited about it."

<Game launches>

Players: "A last name. . . that's it? And it carries over between factions on a single server but not across servers even if the same faction? It affects all of your characters on that server, cannot be changed, does not have a preview, and the system auto-changes it to conform to the non-communicated restrictions?"

BW: "I know! Isn't it awesome!"

Players: "???"

BW: "We'll released more stuff for it, eventually."

Players: "What will the additional features be?"

BW: "We're not telling."

Players: "Should I hold off on rolling alts?"

BW: . . .

BW: "We're going to be adding features to the legacy system in patch 1.2. These will include new races. . . kinda. And then there's other stuff."

Players: "What kind of other stuff? What are the new races? Is it currently unplayable races that are in the game, or just races that are currently playable by one class that will now be playable on another? Will there be a way to change our current characters with these new features?"

Edited by Vodalus

BW: "We have this great legacy system feature that we will be putting in the game."

<Game launches>

Players: "A last name. . . that's it? And it carries over between factions on a single server but not across servers even if the same faction? It affects all of your characters on that server, cannot be changed, does not have a preview, and the system auto-changes it to conform to the non-communicated restrictions?"

BW: "We're going to be adding features to the legacy system in patch 1.2. These will include new races. . . kinda. And then there's other stuff."

Players: "What kind of other stuff? What are the new races? Is it currently unplayable races that are in the game, or just races that are currently playable by one class that will now be playable on another? Will there be a way to change our current characters with these new features?"

this... omg this

*snip*

They said they were hoping to get it for launch. Only the barebones support made it in. Welcome to development.

The fact that they're not revealing much is going to be due to exactly 2 things - no more, no less:

1: Hard to say for certain what's going to make it in for that patch. Some stuff might slip.

2: Marketing would want to hold some information back to release later.

They said they were hoping to get it for launch. Only the barebones support made it in. Welcome to development.

The fact that they're not revealing much is going to be due to exactly 2 things - no more, no less:

1: Hard to say for certain what's going to make it in for that patch. Some stuff might slip.

Sooooooooo basically EA forced them to launch.

Don't care, not my problem. If the above scenario were limited to this one feature, then I, and likely many others, would be much more flexible and forgiving. But it seems to be more the rule than the exception with this game.

I was patient. I followed the game from the beginning, including joining the forums the day they opened. I was in beta for 6 months and put up with GZ's antics and blatant statements that my feedback meant nothing and we were just there to give them metrics; yet I still filed my bug reports and provided in-game and forum feedback like a good little tester. I did my part. BW did not do theirs.

Don't care, not my problem. If the above scenario were limited to this one feature, then I, and likely many others, would be much more flexible and forgiving. But it seems to be more the rule than the exception with this game.

I was patient. I followed the game from the beginning, including joining the forums the day they opened. I was in beta for 6 months and put up with GZ's antics and blatant statements that my feedback meant nothing and we were just there to give them metrics; yet I still filed my bug reports and provided in-game and forum feedback like a good little tester. I did my part. BW did not do theirs.

I like your thing you have

"I'm not a hater, I'm a disillusioned and disappointed fan.

"I spent a good 5 or 10 minutes searching around the preferences because I was sure a feature like this would not have been omitted."- A simple quote that I have seen countless times; This is what is wrong with TOR in my book. "

I have spent hours looking for setting that I would think would be in a game to not find it... I hope they add stuff for the UI and other key things soonish.

Alternative - not put the Legacy xp in at launch so no-one could begin earning legacy xp and then release the finished product as an update at some point in the future e.g. like most MMOs do.

Why always assume the negative? The fact its in mean people are collecting free reward points without knowing what the rewards are.

It's beteter than not being able to collect any reward points until the system is completley launched.

Edited by The_Butler

Wait a gosh darn pickin minute...

You mean to tell me, a game developer/game did not release every little detail of everything?

WHAT THE HELL IS THIS!?

Player: I WANT IT NOAW!!!!

Bioware: We are working on it

Player :NAWO!

Bioware: What? Please use proper english

Player: The Legacy system sucks. You did not release any information about it all. You suck.

Bioware: *cancels legacy system and shuts down all servers because they realize they are fail*

Player: ZOMG I TOLD YUO!

/sarcasm

Seriously are new to pc gaming?

Well the 3rd thing is that they still subscribe to the Carrie school of "awesome" PR. :p

Which you may not get initially, but eventually may unfortunately get all too familiar with.

Alternative - not put the Legacy xp in at launch so no-one could begin earning legacy xp and then release the finished product as an update at some point in the future e.g. like most MMOs do.

And just imagine the forum riot then about all the "wasted time leveling alts without full benefit" and how Bioware should retroactively reward the Legacy XP, and further the issues that older players wouldn't get the leg up on getting the name they wanted without artificial intervention that would cause more issues...

There's no question, really, that this was the right choice for this system.

Why always assume the negative? The fact its in mean people are collecting free reward points without knowing what the rewards are.

It's beeter than not being able to collect any reward points until the system is completley launched.

The feature was hyped as one of the new and exciting things in the game.

Two problems with this:

First, if you are going to hype something as one of the (very few) new and exciting features, you had better make damn sure it is actually in the game.

Second, if you want people to have faith in what is coming because you failed on the first point, tell them what is coming. Don't play this coy, carefully chosen vague word game of spewing out paragraph after paragraph that doesn't actually tell us anything. Marketing speak is not the way to build confidence, faith, and patience. Marketing speak is for influencing impulses. People are paying to play this game. People want to know what to expect for their money. People want to be able to make decisions while they are expected to be patient and wait for the actual feature.

Edited by Vodalus

<Game launches>

I was in hysterics at this. True though:rolleyes:

Hate to sound negative but the Legacy system is going to be a great disappointment. I have already written this off.

No new races but you may be able to make a sith jedi lol or a Rattaki Trooper, unimaginative and uninspired.

They could have put in new races and then it would have been like omg awesome but they didnt.

They even stated it will not significantly change a character either because you cannot give an advantage to people who only play one class lol. That was funny to read

This system means absolutely nothing to me because it will have no impact on play experience for the most part

So it will be fluff, and making fluff imo is a total waste of time

I still love the game, but I wouldnt look for anything interesting with its implementation

Second, if you want people to have faith in what is coming because you failed on the first point, tell them what is coming. Don't play this coy, carefully chosen vague word game of spewing out paragraph after paragraph that doesn't actually tell us anything. Marketing speak is not the way to build confidence, faith, and patience. Marketing speak is for influencing impulses. People are paying to play this game. People want to know what to expect for their money. People want to be able to make decisions while they are expected to be patient and wait for the actual feature.

And then if something gets the axe, you're screwed.

Hate to sound negative but the Legacy system is going to be a great disappointment. I have already written this off.

No new races but you may be able to make a sith jedi lol or a Rattaki Trooper, unimaginative and uninspired.

They could have put in new races and then it would have been like omg awesome but they didnt.

They even stated it will not significantly change a character either because you cannot give an advantage to people who only play one class lol. That was funny to read

This system means absolutely nothing to me because it will have no impact on play experience for the most part

So it will be fluff, and making fluff imo is a total waste of time

I still love the game, but I wouldnt look for anything interesting with its implementation

Sounds to me like it's going to be a great disapopintment because you had a wishlist and BW didn't fulfill it. New races don't come out in MMOs wihin the first 3 months of launch. How long was it before Blizz introduced Dranei and BEs?

Anyway, as is typical on this forum, I think this is another case expectations being way off base, not BW failing in some major way. It's not supposed to be a major change in how the game gets played or allow people who were able to grind lots of LEgacy levels lord it over those who weren't with extra special talents in combat etc. Maybe things like shared cargo holds and such. It's a perk system that will be full of superficial, but probably somewhat nice, conveniences for leveling your alts and such. It's not supopsed to be, nor should it, a massive change to how you can play your toons.

Edited by Blotter