Not understanding this next patch

Voqar

This game has plenty of issues, bugs, glitches, stuff people have asked to have fixed since beta, little things, and big things people have asked for.

So instead of any of that...it just boggles the mind...with what they're adding in this next patch.

PvP in this game is just flat out stupid. Just like it is in every PvE MMORPG. EZ mode gaer for people who do nothing. So what's the solution...add another BG. Oh yay.

Another species, that'll undoubtably be another basically human looking being with different facial mutilations.

Vanity clothing.

I just don't get it.

All of this is pure garbage.

Every time I'm in combat and a crew skill window pops up, or every time I'm using GTN, or filling in a CS ticket, or doing anything with windows open in the UI, and a crew skill mission ends, and wipes out everything I'm doing, I literally want to punch someone at BioWare. WHY don't you fix this idiocy, that has been reported and discussed repeatedly, instead of adding fluffy junk?

Speaking of the GTN, it's been slammed since beta...why not fix and update it instead of bringing in useless garbage?

We've seen a teaser of slightly customizeable UI featers...where's that? How long can it possibly take to add rudimentary UI customization when it's already done enough to make a video about it?

I have well over 20 levels of legacy (turned off legacy bar since it's a waste of screen space)...if my reward is going to be the opportunity to delete one of my 8 characters to reroll as some other human looking variant, then no thanks. How about something useful like faster speeders, shorter CDs on fast travel like fleet pass or QT (doesn't have to be drastic, even a few percent points would be SOMETHING tangible instead of a useless new species).

Ok, I'm thankful that they're patching and doing something/anything...that's a good sign. But it's really kind of annoying that numerous glitches/bugs/broken features/requests going back to beta, months ago, are continually blown off. It's annoing that the stuff people ask for the most, like the UI stuff...are coming later rather than sooner, and then what they do push out is...a warzone so people can have another pvp instance to get uber epics for doing nothing, vanity clothes (oh...yay...that's handy for about 20 people in the entire game), and a new species that adds...about...nothing.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I know with gear is that some will complain its too easy to get. Make it harder and people will complain its too hard to get. I remember the honor system in WoW where you had ranks. You get to rank 8, miss a day or two of heavy PVP and your rank is lower. To get to max rank which I believe was 12 or 13 back then, it was nearly impossible. Like 18 hours or more a day impossible. Some will always be unhappy.

This game has plenty of issues, bugs, glitches, stuff people have asked to have fixed since beta, little things, and big things people have asked for.

Every patch has come with fixing bugs. New content doesn't stop because there are still bugs to fix. Different people doing different jobs.

Another species, that'll undoubtably be another basically human looking being with different facial mutilations.

I hadn't heard of any new playable species. What I did here is that we are getting the same playable species but accessible from different classes.

I just don't get it.

The only one who would "get it" would be the lead designer whose job it is to prioritize all the work, and organize the employees according to their specialty.

Every time I'm in combat and a crew skill window pops up, or every time I'm using GTN, or filling in a CS ticket, or doing anything with windows open in the UI, and a crew skill mission ends, and wipes out everything I'm doing, I literally want to punch someone at BioWare. WHY don't you fix this idiocy, that has been reported and discussed repeatedly, instead of adding fluffy junk?

For all we know, it will be fixed in the new UI in 1.2.

Speaking of the GTN, it's been slammed since beta...why not fix and update it instead of bringing in useless garbage?

The GTN sucks, but it's still functional. That puts it at a lower priority than things that do nothing, like legacy & guild banks. The people whose job it would be to fix the GTN are probably the same ones tasked with the custom UI and guild bank.

We've seen a teaser of slightly customizeable UI featers...where's that? How long can it possibly take to add rudimentary UI customization when it's already done enough to make a video about it?

What you saw in the video was a work in progress and not finished. Not only does it require development and work in every single UI element the game has, but also all the QA to make sure it all works. It takes time, and if you got it now, it would be very buggy and the forums would be flooded with "yet another patch released too soon".

Ok, I'm thankful that they're patching and doing something/anything...that's a good sign. But it's really kind of annoying that numerous glitches/bugs/broken features/requests going back to beta, months ago, are continually blown off. It's annoing that the stuff people ask for the most, like the UI stuff...are coming later rather than sooner, and then what they do push out is...a warzone so people can have another pvp instance to get uber epics for doing nothing, vanity clothes (oh...yay...that's handy for about 20 people in the entire game), and a new species that adds...about...nothing.

Until someone invents the "fix it" button, everything takes time. This means that priorities are made on the order to fix things. Just because what gets patched isn't what you consider personally important doesn't mean that it's not important to other players. And some fixes are such minor ones that it only takes a few minutes to fix, so if a dev is already working on that system, they might just take the few extra minutes to fix a related issue.

Software development is a time consuming process, not magic. For people who have trouble handling these issues, my recommendation is to not join a MMO until at least 2 years after its launched.

I think your confused. The issues you speak of will be addressed and fixed in the minor patches we get a weekly. For instance the next patch is already being tested on the test server...

http://www.darthhater.com/articles/swtor-news/19930-public-test-server-patch-notes-1-1-3-2-9-12

It includes none of the fixes you're complaining about that we're actually getting.

The ones your complaining about are a ways off. They're content patches being made by the people that don't fix stuff. Like for instance the ART department, they're not programmers and they can't fix the galactic trade network. That just wasn't their major in college. Same thing goes for their writing staff. Just because they can write a quest line it doesn't mean they can write code. So what do they do? Make content. That's their job.

Remember that making a video is a lot easier then implementing it. Many visual things are designed in photoshop before they're actually put to code or worked on in whatever the real program is they'd be using. Here's the leaked schedule for many of the things you're complaining that we are getting. We have no idea when those major content patches will hit.

http://www.torhead.com/guide/leaks

It doesn't mean there won't also be bug fixes, no one ever announces bug fixes because they should be done anyway.

What they should do though is allow at least a temporary chance to change races if they are adding more race/class combos since they are likely to be the ones they removed from beta :/

So you are complaining that they are rolling out the content they've already been working on, instead of canceling it all just so their first fix could be the bugs? Needless to say they ARE working on the bugs, but they have been working on this content as well. But no, they should never release anything they've already completed until all bugs are fixed!

You are a credit to our race, OP.

Every patch has come with fixing bugs. New content doesn't stop because there are still bugs to fix. Different people doing different jobs.

I hadn't heard of any new playable species. What I did here is that we are getting the same playable species but accessible from different classes.

The only one who would "get it" would be the lead designer whose job it is to prioritize all the work, and organize the employees according to their specialty.

For all we know, it will be fixed in the new UI in 1.2.

The GTN sucks, but it's still functional. That puts it at a lower priority than things that do nothing, like legacy & guild banks. The people whose job it would be to fix the GTN are probably the same ones tasked with the custom UI and guild bank.

What you saw in the video was a work in progress and not finished. Not only does it require development and work in every single UI element the game has, but also all the QA to make sure it all works. It takes time, and if you got it now, it would be very buggy and the forums would be flooded with "yet another patch released too soon".

Until someone invents the "fix it" button, everything takes time. This means that priorities are made on the order to fix things. Just because what gets patched isn't what you consider personally important doesn't mean that it's not important to other players. And some fixes are such minor ones that it only takes a few minutes to fix, so if a dev is already working on that system, they might just take the few extra minutes to fix a related issue.

Software development is a time consuming process, not magic. For people who have trouble handling these issues, my recommendation is to not join a MMO until at least 2 years after its launched.

I know you're trying really hard to be cute and act smart and cool on the messageboard and stuff, but you come off bad.. and quite frankly, you know as little as anyone else about software development and denying that BioWare dropped the ball is silly. You trying to be witty just isn't working out for you. Just sayin'.

I really do love posts like these. In the end, what they come down to is "Stupid Bioware! They can't do exactly what I want when I want it! Highest priority for me must be highest priority for all!"

I'm certainly not a fangirl, but I do believe some people need a little patience. Or better yet, because they obviously know more about game design than any studio that currently exists, they need to start making their own games. Put BioWare, EA, Blizzard, etc. out of business!

Clearly, they have the skills, knowledge, and foresight to make the greatest games ever. And do it in lightning speed! If they can require nothing less of any company and call it a reasonable request, obviously they can do it faster, cheaper and better, right?

I really do love posts like these. In the end, what they come down to is "Stupid Bioware! They can't do exactly what I want when I want it! Highest priority for me must be highest priority for all!"

I'm certainly not a fangirl, but I do believe some people need a little patience. Or better yet, because they obviously know more about game design than any studio that currently exists, they need to start making their own games. Put BioWare, EA, Blizzard, etc. out of business!

Clearly, they have the skills, knowledge, and foresight to make the greatest games ever. And do it in lightning speed! If they can require nothing less of any company and call it a reasonable request, obviously they can do it faster, cheaper and better, right?

My $79 up front and $15 per month for the last 2 months say EA and BW failed hard.

Trion seems to have it mostly figured out. (unless you're a rogue)

They can have my money now.

My $79 up front and $15 per month for the last 2 months say EA and BW failed hard.

Trion seems to have it mostly figured out. (unless you're a rogue)

They can have my money now.

How have you paid them 2 months fees? Second one ain't due till next week.

Also, if they 'failed hard' why did you even give them a single fee, you could have left after the month included in the box.

To the OP, do you know everything they are putting into the next patch? I mean down to the exact bug fix? No. The point of spotlighting the things they do is to get the player base excited about it. If the devs made a video listing all the bug fixes...I don't know about you, but I'd be bored to tears.

Development teams really can't win though, SWG had a bug bash at one point and instead of players praising it...they complained that nothing new was added (content) and the bug bash was a waste of time.

Big patches like the one coming up will have bug fixes and new content. Keep this in mind though, are they going to fix everything YOU want? No. Also, the UI issues that the OP is talking about, are not bugs. They are design flaws. Annoyances (aka things the OP considers bugs) that do not hinder progress in the game are not a high priority, sorry to disappoint you. With the upcoming UI changes, I am hoping that it will fix things like you mentioned.

So instead of any of that...it just boggles the mind...with what they're adding in this next patch.

PvP in this game is just flat out stupid. Just like it is in every PvE MMORPG. EZ mode gaer for people who do nothing. So what's the solution...add another BG. Oh yay.

Vanity clothing.

I just don't get it.

All of this is pure garbage.

I have well over 20 levels of legacy (turned off legacy bar since it's a waste of screen space)...if my reward is going to be the opportunity to delete one of my 8 characters to reroll as some other human looking variant, then no thanks. How about something useful like faster speeders, shorter CDs on fast travel like fleet pass or QT (doesn't have to be drastic, even a few percent points would be SOMETHING tangible instead of a useless new species).

It's a **** game, what is there not to understand? Even guilds have no function other than acting as a secondary friend list. As a major faction vs faction AAA MMO in 2012 that's just pathetic.

Only fun activity each day is to solo the Ilum daily, but even it is becoming boring, meh.

Big patches like the one coming up will have bug fixes and new content. Keep this in mind though, are they going to fix everything YOU want? No. Also, the UI issues that the OP is talking about, are not bugs. They are design flaws. Annoyances (aka things the OP considers bugs) that do not hinder progress in the game are not a high priority, sorry to disappoint you. With the upcoming UI changes, I am hoping that it will fix things like you mentioned.

Except 1.1.1 and 1.1.2 didn't deliver as promised and to top it off, both introduced new bugs, design flaws and exploits.

Edited by darthtoph

This game made me reinstall wow, and I can say that sadly wow is STILL the best mmo out. Swtor could be something great but its not, and I highly doubt it will be, and even if its by that time alot of the player base will be gone like myself. Still being out classed by a 7 yr old game

How have you paid them 2 months fees? Second one ain't due till next week.

Also, if they 'failed hard' why did you even give them a single fee, you could have left after the month included in the box.

bought online version. no free month

had to pay dec. 20th

chose to pay jan 20th because i was still leveling a couple of toons and had yet to fully explore the total vacuum that is swtor end game.

choosing not to give them anything more.

bought online version. no free month

had to pay dec. 20th

chose to pay jan 20th because i was still leveling a couple of toons and had yet to fully explore the total vacuum that is swtor end game.

choosing not to give them anything more.

You got a free month with any version of the game. They had you set up a subscription with a credit card on dec 20th but if you actually payed attention to your bank statements you'd notice that you were not charged until january 20th because you had a month...

You got a free month with any version of the game. They had you set up a subscription with a credit card on dec 20th but if you actually payed attention to your bank statements you'd notice that you were not charged until january 20th because you had a month...

you're missing the point.

and my bank statement has 2 months of charges on it.