Official: Over 1.7 million active subs, 2 + mil sold

Improv-

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not sure what you are getting at here, this is the case for ALL financial and sub reports on mmo's since they are all actively trying to attain new subs and are at the least somewhat successful.

The point is that this game is relatively new and a lot of people are still on their free 30 days (myself included, but not for much longer.). I can guarantee you that plenty of people will not decide not to re-sub after the first 30 days.

Basically, try not to get too excited over these numbers. Yes, they are stellar, but we'll have a much more accurate representation when subscription numbers are released a few months down the road as the vast majority of players will be on paid subscriptions rather than the free 30 days.

^^^^^

Thank you I Have mentioned this twice so far in this thread and had another one locked.

So many people are posting it gets lost fast :p

There's no reason to even care about that. It's natural. Not everyone bought the game at launch, so obviously not everyone is out of his first free month yet. Mind you, that condition will continue forever. As as long as someone purchases the game, there will always be some currently playing that didn't finish their first free month yet.

Boy I see the haters are really scrambling to find excuses.

Yummy, yummy tears :d_evil:

Edited by Abriael

The point is that the 1.7 mil. figure includes people who may or may not resubscribe. Therefore it's not a completely accurate account of the success or failure of the game.

As people have been saying, it will take another few months to get a clear picture of the trend this game is following--either up or down. I guess it could stagnate as well, which is neither good or bad.

I agree that the tale is in the first chapter and this is just a glimpse, however this can be applied to every subscription report of every mmo out there. It is just one of the factors that must be taken into account when going through these reports for all mmos.

posting in the legendary thread. i hope i will tell my children once that i was here and saw this.

btw my friend who left the game 2 weeks after release resubbed today to play with us - our guild consisting RL friends grew from 9 to 22 in one month with zero advertisement.

I hope SWTOR prosper. its a good game, i admire it.

The company launched “Star Wars” in late December, and reported it has sold through more than 2 million units of the game and now has about 1.7 million active subscribers playing the online multiplayer title, which Brown said represents a mix of users who already have signed up for a paid subscription and users who have given their credit cards over, but have not yet had their paid plans kick in.

accurate statemant bar this part:

Q: Are these 1.7 subscribers paying?

A: Active subscribers means anyone paying or in their trial period. Most of those 1.7m are paying at this point

Right.

We will never know. But we do know that over 1m were sold very quickly, almost immediately really. What we don't know is what the retention percentage of those (who would be in the first paying month) is as compared with those who activated later and who may be in the first free month still.

In any case, 1.7m active (i.e., paying currently plus people in first free month still) is quite impressive against a 2m unit sales number.

Yep...actually very impressive...and that's all anyone's realy saying. It's a reason for hope that the game will take off and the developers will have incentive to work hard to address all the issues people whine about while missing the forest for the trees. Does it guarantee there won't be failuire? No...and I don't think anyone's arguing that it does...but it does put the lie to the QQ pantwetter trolls who want everyone to believe the game already failed and are desperately trying to get everyone to hate it.

Congrats to them! But this just upsets me more, knowing that this is a billion dollar product for them and we can't even get regular community updates or communications on wide-scale issues.

There are nearly 2 million players paying $15/month, and this is the customer support we get?

I agree that the tale is in the first chapter and this is just a glimpse, however this can be applied to every subscription report of every mmo out there. It is just one of the factors that must be taken into account when going through these reports for all mmos.

The problem with your response, and by Blotter before you, is that you assume I'm passing judgement. I'm simply saying the figure doesn't include an accurate, solid accounting of the game's performance beyond "we have lots of people playing right now at this very moment."

Box sales are largely unimportant in the MMO market, where subscriptions carry the game's development.

The point is that this game is relatively new and a lot of people are still on their free 30 days (myself included, but not for much longer.). I can guarantee you that plenty of people will not decide not to re-sub after the first 30 days.

Basically, try not to get too excited over these numbers. Yes, they are stellar, but we'll have a much more accurate representation when subscription numbers are released a few months down the road as the vast majority of players will be on paid subscriptions rather than the free 30 days.

no the vast majority of the 1.7 million are people who have past their first month.

We know this because the vast majority of the game was sold Before Dec 31st. We can look at the sales figures and see that.

So yes there are some a small portion probably less then 25% of the 1.7 million active accoutns that have not yet passed their free month.

no the vast majority of the 1.7 million are people who have past their first month.

We know this because the vast majority of the game was sold Before Dec 31st. We can look at the sales figures and see that.

So yes there are some a small portion probably less then 25% of the 1.7 million active accoutns that have not yet passed their free month.

I believe the term they used was "most." Not "vast majority."

"Most" gives them a bit more leeway.

Right.

We will never know. But we do know that over 1m were sold very quickly, almost immediately really. What we don't know is what the retention percentage of those (who would be in the first paying month) is as compared with those who activated later and who may be in the first free month still.

In any case, 1.7m active (i.e., paying currently plus people in first free month still) is quite impressive against a 2m unit sales number.

Yes we do know.

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/31584/star-wars-the-old-republic/Global/

Week Ending Week Weekly Change Total

24th December 2011 1 1,486,862 N/A 1,486,862

31st December 2011 2 326,312 -78.1% 1,813,174

07th January 2012 3 115,900 -64.5% 1,929,074

14th January 2012 4 70,621 -39.1% 1,999,695

21st January 2012 5 61,708 -12.6% 2,061,403

Means that 1,8 millions purchase the game in the first 2 weeks and they will be paying or left the game. The other 250k are still on their free month. :)

The vast mojoritity is now paying no doubt.

I'm calling BS on a thriving game with 1.7M active subs. The game has around 200 servers and supposedly 1.7M subs so that an estimated 8500 players per server. So if your server has 8500 active you should see at least 1500 in fleet during prime time. I hear heavy pop servers have like 300 in fleet at most during prime time. The numbers just don't add up something is not right. 1.7 I highly doubt it. If they have 1m active i would honestly be surprised.

Yep...actually very impressive...and that's all anyone's realy saying. It's a reason for hope that the game will take off and the developers will have incentive to work hard to address all the issues people whine about while missing the forest for the trees. Does it guarantee there won't be failuire? No...and I don't think anyone's arguing that it does...but it does put the lie to the QQ pantwetter trolls who want everyone to believe the game already failed and are desperately trying to get everyone to hate it.

Yes, the Tortanic is still afloat, despite the attacks. Must be having a few brews down in Austin, at the moment, I'd guess.

Electronic Arts Inc. EA -2.39% today announced preliminary financial results for its third fiscal quarter ended December 31, 2011.

Hey, hope it's true. If they are making that kind of money, they should have plenty of capital to improve it.

I'm not hoping the game fails or anything, but 1.7 million subscriptions out of 2 million sales as pretty close to a 100% retention rate which I would find very hard to believe even for the most amazing of games.

Im not buying it either. they will need a fuls scale expansion by august to hold any serious numbers for a year.The end game is as shallow as the water in game.

If the game is so good, maybe people could answer to messages about the game itself instead of calling people who are sceptical of CEOs reports women of ill repute. (euphemism as in :The woman of ill repute of Babylon, Paris Hilton is a woman of ill repute, the police framed me, I was not caught without pants with a woman of ill repute) paid by Blizzard ?

The problem with your response, and by Blotter before you, is that you assume I'm passing judgement. I'm simply saying the figure doesn't include an accurate, solid accounting of the game's performance beyond "we have lots of people playing right now at this very moment."

Box sales are largely unimportant in the MMO market, where subscriptions carry the game's development.

And the problem with that is that you're stating the obvious and by doing so implying that we were interpreting the numbers as having more meaning than that. We weren't. The game has a lot of subs right now, which bodes well. That's all. Besides, most of this whole thread was taken up trying to explain to people that he was indeed referring to current numbers, not a month ago....which they wanted to believe so they could go on thinking that "January must have been where all the real ragequitting took place, so it's still a big fail." Right now, with current numbers, you simply can't call it a fail yet, which makes all the whiners and ragequitters very uncomfortable and they're desperately seeking a rationalization for continuing to believe that SWTOR is a failure right this second. NUmbers don't support that. Will it prove to have longevity? Only time will tell.

Are you dumb? That is a massive retention rate and no MMO has ever had that big of a retention rate.

I knew some troll was going to make this sound negative hahahah. You people are sad.

The most generous estimate was 1.2 million. SWTOR is officially the second biggest MMO as of now.

This...

I'm calling BS on a thriving game with 1.7M active subs. The game has around 200 servers and supposedly 1.7M subs so that an estimated 8500 players per server. So if your server has 8500 active you should see at least 1500 in fleet during prime time. I hear heavy pop servers have like 300 in fleet at most during prime time. The numbers just don't add up something is not right. 1.7 I highly doubt it. If they have 1m active i would honestly be surprised.

yeah sure if all 1.7 million people logged in at the exact same time..... you do realize that people play in different timezones right? And therefor you will never have all 1.7 million people logged in at the same time.

I thought I had seen it all......

Actually with your last statement I removed that thought of you passing judgement and my last repsonse, I thought, was to some degree aggreeing with you. :)