Official: Over 1.7 million active subs, 2 + mil sold

Improv-

hehehe.. This a press release from Feb 1st, buuuuuut the report is written for the period ending Dec 31, 2011.

When he says 1.7 current active subscription in a financial report for the period ending Dec. 31 201, he has to, by law, be talking about prior to and up to December 31, 2011. Not anything after December 31, 2011. Those numbers will be on the next quarterly report.

No.

An earnings release has information about three periods: (1) the financial statements as of the end of the quarter/year (here 12/31), (2) operating metrics, which are often current and (3) forward looking projections. All three. The idea from the SEC is to give investors and analysts a more full current picture and forecast, provided the information is distinguished.

Here in the release itself the sales and sub numbers are said to be "in a little over one month", meaning that they could not possibly be as of 12/31, when the game had been released for only around 10 days.

Again, learn to read financial releases properly or do not post. Thank you.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As an Early Access player, I had to sign up for an account to keep playing on release day. At least I was lead to believe that was the case, and so I signed up for a plan.

But like I do in any game, I then cancel once it's carried over until I'm absolutely sure I want another month.

I'm not the only one that does this. At least I'm sure I'm not.

fair enough. i was in early too but i dont remember whether they forced me to put down the credit card numbers or if i did myself... dosent make much a difference to me :D

So is the WOW number. Only Korea is the difference. Don't diminish the fact that the TOR numbers are strong by massaging number comparisons with WOW. Eventually folks need to get over the WOW Inferiority Complex and realize that TOR is it's own game.

My god the straw grasping

:rolleyes:

Can't you guys just accept the fact that the campaign of hate and all the negative troll posts didn't work and that TOR is a very successful MMO?

This said guys, a thing is sure

Unless Bioware is made of saints, they will report what will please investors without twisting too much the reality.

They don't have to report post january subs till march.

If the subs are low, they will not say it explicitely till march.

You can be sued for deceiving investors FYI

To all those stating the numbers may not be true, think that this Is a listed company and it's requierd to post it's earnings....anyone Will be able to calculate the numbers very easily.

The figures sound good to me. 6 next months are critical.

We cannot speak of success until we know costs of development (and not units sold/subs), if we ever do, and which Is the breakeven amount of units sold plus subscriptions needed to zero in investment (given the implícit risk of MMOs, videogames, and 80:20 media in general, plus considering competition, breakeven would be a strategic success for EA)

Indeed it is, because the guy is quoted on February 1, 2012 as saying "CURRENT," which clearly, unless they changed the meaning of the word "CURRENT," means

TODAY

The quotes are from a document that was written awhile ago, and pertaining to the quarter ending Dec 31, 2011.

Again, the quotes in that article are from the financial report itself, which is for the period ending Dec 31, 2011. He's not committing fraud, because the report is for up to Dec. 31, 2011.

Which was released TODAY. What's so hard for you to understand about that? Just bugs you to no end that SWTOR is kicking butt? Do you have a sad that it's not failing? Here:

you can haz tissue.

You do realise there's more to the world than just North America right? That article is about WoW reaching it's first million subscribers in North America but if you read just a little bit more you'll find that by that point they had just over 4 million paying customers worldwide.

Now it'd be nice if SWToR could match that sort of performance but only time will tell. As it is I think it's a little early to be getting overly giddy about how it's doing especially as the released subscriber numbers are likely to include a significant number of people who are still in their first month. It won't be until the next earnings call or the release of more detailed info that anyone outside of BW or EA will be able to say with any certainty how well the game is doing in terms of retaining players.

Keep in mind WoW had servers open in Asia, Latin America, and Australia to get those extra 3 mil non-NA subs.

SWTOR so far is only in the US and Europe.

I official give up , I happy the game is doing good , you trolls can spin it all you want the facts are the facts , I give the game 7.5/10 I am not a fanyboy but some of you people are so dense you made me act like one , whatever .

What he is talking about sub wise is current.

"-- Star Wars®: The Old Republic has generated 1.7 million active subscribers and sold through more than 2 million units in a little over one month."

How would that be before January...

They sold 2 mil. 1.7 mil kept the sub so far.

Please learn to read... Less you be mocked more.

Hmm, of course, december is a very representative period for leisure times

Like, for instsance, the best way to calculate pumpkin demand is to check sales the 31th october.

DOOOOOOOOOOM

The servers were full when the game launched in december. Where are they naaaauw!!11!!LOL

GLOOOOOOOM

It's failing!!!11!!LOL It was holiday when they launched, that's why the numbers are high!!! TROLOLOL.

Priceless; nay-sayers trying to spin the same fact 2 different ways :D

Now what is it? is the lower pop numbers now acceptable, since the game was launched on holidays and now it's, well, not holiday anymore?

Or

Are the numbers bad, since they are only high due to a holiday launch?

Sorry, you can't have it both ways. Well, you can, when trying to stuff ******** down *******' and sheeps' throats.

Edited by OkuKeelus

It's the Q3 report. That's when it's reported. But when making assessment of the brand (company) you include current up-to-date data based on findings when the report is released to stock holders. You also usually include a projected analysis for next quarter. In this case Q4.

And they did. I wasn't listening as closely as to the SWTOR-specific parts, but they were giving positive growth projections for Q4.

And the best revenue-generating quarter in 31 consecutive quarters, plus beating their target guidance- these are all very good sign.s

Aaaaaand, the dude who is quoted reported CURRENT active subscritions are at 1.7M. If it helps you sleep at night imagining that we'll get a report tomorrow that 1.69M people between December 31, 2011 and February 1, 2012 when this guy made his statement, you go right on thinking that, but the reality is, he quite clearly from the word choice and language used, was referring to TODAY...as in CURRENT...as in RIGHT NOW....and would otherwise be committing fraud.

You do realize even if people did quit, it won't be reflected on their report? Quitting doesn't automatically negate your number from the total active sub number until the time you are out of the system. You pay for a month in advance.

So, as many, many sane heads in this threads keep saying - it's not set in stone, and since retention is what MMO is gauged by, we gotta wait for the next report to see how many people canceled. No doubt the game sold well, and is doing better then expected, but:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ea-beats-targets-on-sales-gain-forecast-off-2012-02-01?link=MW_story_featstor

The last few weeks have seen some negative buzz about the game’s performance, as some analysts have expressed concern about third-party research into server traffic on the game that indicated weaker-than-expected playing levels.
The game needs to work, and BW needs to work hard to make sure they have retention level high.

My god the straw grasping

:rolleyes:

Can't you guys just accept the fact that the campaign of hate and all the negative troll posts didn't work and that TOR is a very successful MMO?

What?! Did you miss the part about me mentioning the 'strong' TOR numbers. If anything you cheapen their success by having to fabricate comparisons to WOW. Get over it. This is not WOW. Be happy with TOR's success. You don't need to make up numbers in order to show the game is off to a great start sub-wise.

Uh, he specifically says the numbers are current as of Dec 31st, 2011. Not "TODAY".

No, he says "CURRENT" which means "TODAY" beacuse the report was released "TODAY." Again, what's the boggle for you guys? The earnings, income & expense, etc., those are all as of DEcember 31, 2011. The statements to investors about CURRENT numbers and predictions on the trend going forward, those are as of TODAY.

At least in Canada, ''today'' can have variable meanings. Today certainly don't mean ''the minute I'm speaking right now'

Right, because then you'd say "such and such is happening at this very minute."

I just think it's hilarious how many people are making an argument out of semantics. Words are fluid.

If these financial players would actually just say what they mean and mean what they say, there'd be no debate.

its fun reading this topic. someone already posted this but seems like its being ignored.

1.7 million active subscribers playing the online multiplayer title, which Brown said represents a mix of users who already have signed up for a paid subscription and users who have given their credit cards over, but have not yet had their paid plans kick in.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ea-beats-targets-on-sales-gain-forecast-off-2012-02-01?link=MW_story_featstor

Dude that is world wide

TOR was not a global launch it was only launched in English speaking nations and technically only in NA and Europe.

What was Wow's NA and Europe numbers?

:)

Like many before you, you didnt read that whole page. That page was quoted from a different site on March 17 2005. It broke records compared to games at its time. So if you wanna compare releases, you should compare ToR to releases of current MMO's. Regardless, WoW had 5 million at a year. I love both games btw, which explains my sub to both :)