Official: Over 1.7 million active subs, 2 + mil sold

Improv-

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What that means to me is retention is probably closer to 70% from launch vs. the 85% it appears to be. Regardless even if 70% that's pretty darn high.

This is what I was thinking. Even if every person still in their free month cancels (those who bought the game after Jan 1st) the active subscriptions must still be very high.

I base that only on numbers from vgchartz though, which not counting last week was only about 250k sales since Jan 1st. If you add another 60k for last week that's about 310k. Now add maybe 40% more for Origin sales which vgchartz doesn't track and you're looking at about 430k max still in their free month.

No matter, they're really good numbers.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ea-beats-targets-on-sales-gain-forecast-off-2012-02-01?siteid=bigcharts&dist=bigcharts

The company launched “Star Wars” in late December, and reported it has sold through more than 2 million units of the game and now has about 1.7 million active subscribers playing the online multiplayer title, which Brown said represents a mix of users who already have signed up for a paid subscription and users who have given their credit cards over, but have not yet had their paid plans kick in.

Hold on. Now, I want SWTOR to succeed as much as the next fan, and I believe it will do so, but that number is inflated then.

I have 4 family members and 3 friends that all play SWTOR, and none of us could activate the game to log-in (outside of those of us with early access) without inserting a Credit Card, PayPal, or some other form of payment for the upcoming plan (after the first 30 days).

So, including those people doesn't actually present the real subscriber base (those that billed the second month and continued to play).

So, they sold 2 million boxes, and have 1.7 people combined that have actually subscribed to the game (day 31 billing) or are trying the game but have not actually, truly subscribed (as a payment method is required even for the free-month). Plus, 300k people simply haven't even activated their accounts yet.

Yeah, that does not reflect actual subscriber retention rate at all, unfortunately. The free-month people have not yet been retained, but have been counted.

Edited by Jumajin

To issue a laconic answer.

Most

Indeed. But the reality is, there are plenty of people who bought the game a week ago and are still in their free month. we have to assume and will only ever be able to get subscriptions numbers that are a mix of the two..paying subs and people on a free trial...unless EA decides to break it down for us, which they will never ever do.

I see lots of revenue upside and what looks like a good plan to bump next quarters numbers. Waiting to see the competitions numbers for the quarter. If those are down could see a nicer bump before next Q.

The odd thing is they LOWERED guidance for Q4. EA dropped both their rev and EPS guidance. Didn't see that in the stock action in the aftermarket which is odd.

Even if it is active, then give it a few months.

With the amount of people starting to lose patience, I can assure you those 1.7mil will change.

A major update is coming in March. A few months? That few months better come before March because... Well... I have a feeling that's going to alleviate a lot of the complaints.

Im not sure what you are getting at here, this is the case for ALL financial and sub reports on mmo's since they are all actively trying to attain new subs and are at the least somewhat successful.

The odd thing is they LOWERED guidance for Q4. EA dropped both their rev and EPS guidance. Didn't see that in the stock action in the aftermarket which is odd.

I think it's because it's old news that the entire video game industry had a soft year, and probably already factored into the price.

Learn how to read those.

Doesn't say anything about the number of subs they have now. And they will try to cover the real ones as long as possible... The stockholders don't really care about fan-boys and how they like the game :p

^^^This.

It's amazing how many dupes and simpletons there are out here that want to believe anything.

When a CEO says they've "generated" so and so many active subs, that doesn't mean that's how many subs are active as of today. *sigh*

So you think he is saying that the figures are as of today but are really from weeks ago because it took that long to get them??

This board is a laugh a minute.

Yeah...pretty entertaining. I'm jsut posting this to help get us to page 60 lol

Im not sure what you are getting at here, this is the case for ALL financial and sub reports on mmo's since they are all actively trying to attain new subs and are at the least somewhat successful.

The point is that the 1.7 mil. figure includes people who may or may not resubscribe. Therefore it's not a completely accurate account of the success or failure of the game.

As people have been saying, it will take another few months to get a clear picture of the trend this game is following--either up or down. I guess it could stagnate as well, which is neither good or bad.

lol biofans so desperate to prove to everyone the game is good lol.

SWTOR sucks and will be ftp in 6 months or less.

Well, that's a revision from the 3 months that the trolls used to tell us. At the 6 month mark they tell us it will be FTP after a year. After a year they'll tell us befiore the end of the second year.

Eventually they may be right!

^^^This.

It's amazing how many dupes and simpletons there are out here that want to believe anything.

When a CEO says they've "generated" so and so many active subs, that doesn't mean that's how many subs are active as of today. *sigh*

When he says "CURRENT" though, it certainly means "RIGHT NOW." haha...you posted claiing people can't read when it's you who committed the reading comp fail.

I think it's because it's old news that the entire video game industry had a soft year, and probably already factored into the price.

Could be. The estimates always take into account market factors though. Unless people really weren't expecting that Dec NPD report to be as bad as it was. /shrug

^^^This.

The company launched “Star Wars” in late December, and reported it has sold through more than 2 million units of the game and now has about 1.7 million active subscribers playing the online multiplayer title, which Brown said represents a mix of users who already have signed up for a paid subscription and users who have given their credit cards over, but have not yet had their paid plans kick in.

Must be good to be privvy to that strong factual basis you got.

I think the ones deperate are the ones trying to say it failed. We got facts and sources... you got?...

Edited by Nemmar

lol wowfans so desparate to prove to everyone the game is bad lol.

SWTOR is great and will have a waiting list to buy it in 6 months or less.

see what i did there?

The point is that the 1.7 mil. figure includes people who may or may not resubscribe. Therefore it's not a completely accurate account of the success or failure of the game.

As people have been saying, it will take another few months to get a clear picture of the trend this game is following--either up or down. I guess it could stagnate as well, which is neither good or bad.

Ummm...and ALL statements about the CURRENT number of subscriptions includes people who "may quit tomorrow." What's your point? Logic fail.

Indeed. But the reality is, there are plenty of people who bought the game a week ago and are still in their free month. we have to assume and will only ever be able to get subscriptions numbers that are a mix of the two..paying subs and people on a free trial...unless EA decides to break it down for us, which they will never ever do.

Right.

We will never know. But we do know that over 1m were sold very quickly, almost immediately really. What we don't know is what the retention percentage of those (who would be in the first paying month) is as compared with those who activated later and who may be in the first free month still.

In any case, 1.7m active (i.e., paying currently plus people in first free month still) is quite impressive against a 2m unit sales number.

Q: Are these 1.7 subscribers paying?

A: Active subscribers means anyone paying OR in their trial period. MOST of those 1.7m are paying at this point

..and now has about 1.7 million active subscribers playing the online multiplayer.

From the article:

"Star Wars®: The Old Republic has generated 1.7 million active subscribers and sold through more than 2 million units in a little over one month."

If the numbers were Dec 31st then the "a little over one month" part would make no sense at all since the game would have only been up and running for about 2 weeks.

However, if he's talking about the state of things as oftoday, then "a little over one month" does indeed make sense.

How many different way do they have to tell it so that people realize it means AS OF TODAY.

Edited by boobaffet