The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Space bar was a mistake.

BCBull

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Story driven MMO - biggest mistake in history of MMO.

Actually, I don't mind the story, but problem is everything else is so poor because so much effort was put to the story and cut-scenes.

MMO has to be "long-term content" oriented. Good story is suitable for shorter single player games.

Just say it's your first time running the instance / quest / whatever.

Most people are cool with that.

^ This.

Yesterday was running BT with two buddies (we've all ran it at least 20 times) and a new player said he was looking for a BT group and no one would group with him.

Now, we were kind of in a hurry to run BT a couple of times before we planned to try KP again , but we decided to help the guy go through it (lol 3 level 30's and a level 11). We did not , as far as I can tell, rush the guy at all, and we asked him what options he wanted to see so he could explore the story as he liked.

If I have joined a group , I never spacebar or suggest that others do so, even when I've seen it a dozen times, because that would be rude and childish. On the other hand, when I form groups designed to farm content, I carefully check with each person joining to ask them "ARe you sure you have run this before" and "we are going to be spacebarring through and going full DS, are you okay with this?" If they aren't, I'll suggest they would have a better time finding a group running the FP normally.

Anyone who complains after being asked and explained exactly what we are doing is just stirring crap to stir crap.

Spacebar is essential for farm runs, and it's helpful when I've literally seen a quest 7 times and now I'm on my 8th alt.

SWTOR, a story driven mmo. Why would there be such a quick easy way to skip the story?!

I'm just getting into the PvE scene, and every flash point group I enter I see things like, SPACEBAWABA, SPACEBAR!!!!, HIT THE SPACE.

So much time was put into the story, and it can be argued that the story is what sets SWTOR apart from all mmorpgs. The game was built around the "4th pillar" (story) of gaming. The change of pace was so refreshing the first week. I was able to slow down and really enjoy the immersion.

Space bar should be disabled in flash points for the sake of all players that come in the future. Let them experience the truly epic immersion I had my first couple weeks.

SPACEBAR is very usefull in this game. I learn to use it when:

~ aliens do their bla bla bla that should imitate language and it's just random. No point hearing that. Quick look at text and SPACE

~ most of the side quests since they end up explaining you why you need to kill those 40 mobs (and additional 20 as a bonus)

~ dailies - all quests that you repeat - no need to hear that stuff again

~ flashpoints - since they fun only first time

Sorry but NO NO NO to what you are saying.

I've played many MMOs during my gaming time and WoW was the first game where I really felt this gogogo attitude so I don't think that he is too off the mark.

Spacebar should still be an option for people wanting to skip dialogue. I've had a few alts where certain portions of the dialogue didn't interest me and I spacebared through them. I have the subtitles turned on though and always read them to just refresh my memory with the quest. Going into flashpoints is a different story. I've soloed quested quite a bit and have done some of the 2 person and 4 person heroics with my playing partner. Remember that many folks may be in the flashpoint for the first time so having someone yell to hurry up and spacebar through the story isn't cutting it. If one is in a hurry, then set up your own group and advertize that you are spacebaring through all dialogue. That way, you can set the pace.

The gogogo mentality surely was introduced by WoW. But so was MMO as a mainstream product. And mainstream is certainly not a word that stands for quality. Living in a democracy most of the poll-results or at least the mindless arguments, with which politicians try to get more votes, taught me that ;)

And I'm totally against players forcing others to space through a cutscene. I wouldn't do that. But then again, I think that it's mostly douchebags who do that anyways.

On the other hand forcing one to watch the same cutscene over and over again wouldn't be the way to solve that problem either, because after at least the 3rd time they get really old.

Edited by Averran
comment on deleted post

just ignore them, i do if i have not seen the convo before or if im choosing/someone else chose a different path or convo option i havent seen , then im sorry for you hyperactive babies, i will not skip it till i finish hearing it

people and their dam rush to everything annoy me, if you wanna skip it go ahead, but if i dont then wait 20 FRIGGIN SECONDS till i finish reading is not the end of the world

Am I the only one who's never been in a group that shouted at me to spacebar through content? If they did, I'd tell them: "****, I like cutscenes".

It actually doesn't happen as much as forum warriors pretend it dose....I got one Gogogo last week and I said wait a sec he got rude I kicked him him and reported him three days later I get a in game email from him cursing at me because he got a 72 hour suspension so I reported him for Harassment haven't heard from him since.

The moral of the story is don't be rude in Flashpoints

Space bar should be disabled in flash points for the sake of all players that come in the future. Let them experience the truly epic immersion I had my first couple weeks.

...or they could just kindly explain that this is the first time they've been to a FP and want to experience the story, and just DON'T press Space Bar...

Standing up for themselves, know what I'm saying ?

just ignore them, i do if i have not seen the convo before or if im choosing/someone else chose a different path or convo option i havent seen , then im sorry for you hyperactive babies, i will not skip it till i finish hearing it

people and their dam rush to everything annoy me, if you wanna skip it go ahead, but if i dont then wait 20 FRIGGIN SECONDS till i finish reading is not the end of the world

My thought exactly.

...or they could just kindly explain that this is the first time they've been to a FP and want to experience the story, and just DON'T press Space Bar...

Standing up for themselves, know what I'm saying ?

What I usually do is this....

Hey guys just to let you know I usually don't spacebar or rush anyone have a issue with that?

At most I get yeah I'm in a hurry I'll catch the next one...I have even got a few Cool wanna RP it?

But yeah you're right communicate with folks first it helps.

I'm just getting into the PvE scene, and every flash point group I enter I see things like, SPACEBAWABA, SPACEBAR!!!!, HIT THE SPACE.

Then ignore them. If you want to experience the story on your first few runthroughs, then let the group know you won't be hitting any spacebars

And in a few months time when you're on your 50th run through, how is that 'immersion' gonna grate on your nerves if you're forced to sit through it? Even the more ardent story-driven gamer will be mashing the spacebar after a few weeks of the Voidstar Warfront

SWTOR, a story driven mmo. Why would there be such a quick easy way to skip the story?!

Hello.

- I can read much faster than the actor can speak.

- Sometimes I escape a dialogue, and I don't want to re-listen at length to the part I've already heard.

- Sometimes, an actor has a verbal tick that makes him much slower or plain irritating to listen => Cf 1.

- I'm the one playing the game, so I'm the one to decide if I want to listen to a cutscene.

These are reason enough to justify the spacebar. Non-skippable cutscenes are one of the bane of video game, don't promote them. What should not happen is forcing someone to skip dialogue. But giving the option is a mandatory requirement.

Also got annoyed by a fp group forcing me to skip cut scenes of a flash point i have never seen before because "he had to go in 15 minutes" So all it was to me was random boss... kill kill kill random... boss... kill kill kill.. you are the throne breaker... Errr okay? it wasn't very fun, Nor lucrative. I wanted to see the cut scenes and find out what was going on and why i was making certain choices. It's fine after already experiencing it, but the first time around people need to give respect to those that want to see the content, and slowing down and taking your time to enjoy things isn't that bad of an idea.

and the guy who had to go in fifteen minutes was still hanging around in party for half an hour after we beat the boss... which again annoyed me.

So much time was put into the story, and it can be argued that the story is what sets SWTOR apart from all mmorpgs. The game was built around the "4th pillar" (story) of gaming. The change of pace was so refreshing the first week. I was able to slow down and really enjoy the immersion.

When you get to your Alt you will be singing the praises of spacebar. Unless you want to watch the same movies over and over and over again (referring to FPs). I have done BLack Talon at least 30 times. If I am not in a spacebar group, I leave.

The second you disable spacebar is the second I disable my payment.

I wish there was a way I could make players sign contracts on joining my parties whereby they would skip any and all cutscenes.

What a *********** gigantic waste of money. 2 months in and I spend every cutscene in a flashpoint breaking my spacebar and yelling at slow people.

You know what? I love a great many movies. Star Wars even! However, if you make me watch the same scene from starwars 10 times a week for months, I will shove that cd up your backside.

Edited by Delekii