Playable and Companion species suggestion checklist thread

Vitas

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The list has been updated with a couple more additions which hopefully we'll be able to see in-game either as playable or as a companion.

Lets hope so. Some people have been saying that legacy will not introduce any new playable species just open up classes for exisiting ones. Has anyone got a link to any offical news.

I'd love to see more races.. As long as they can speak Basic.. I would shoot myself in the foot if I had to hear wookie growls and roars for 6 hours straight..

To name a few I'd love to see..

Mon Calamari

Togruta

Nautolan

Cathar

There are plenty more, but they are all near-humans and don't have a big difference in looks from human, so I can RP my way there.

I'd love to see more races.. As long as they can speak Basic.. I would shoot myself in the foot if I had to hear wookie growls and roars for 6 hours straight..

To name a few I'd love to see..

Mon Calamari

Togruta

Nautolan

Cathar

There are plenty more, but they are all near-humans and don't have a big difference in looks from human, so I can RP my way there.

A Wookiee speaking Galactic Basic would just not be possible as you've seen in all Star Wars media.

Really the species speaking in their native tongue shouldn't be a problem as long as they have subtitles.

A Wookiee speaking Galactic Basic would just not be possible as you've seen in all Star Wars media.

Really the species speaking in their native tongue shouldn't be a problem as long as they have subtitles.

I doubt BW will see it the same way. After spending so much money on voiceovers they probably assume that everyone wants to hear it. Of course people playing a wookie would probably accept te lmitation but I doubt they will be given a choice.

May be wrong but I think Lucas was against Wookie Jedi and wookies speaking basic. The extended Universe created one with a translator that it wore and it was decided that it would be the only one.

Now I'm not sure how much Lucas really cares about this stuff, whether he is even aware of the books or such. But if true its unlikely that BW's close working relationship with LA will allow Wookies to be playable without subtitles or as any classes outside of trooper and smuggler.

May be wrong but I think Lucas was against Wookie Jedi and wookies speaking basic. The extended Universe created one with a translator that it wore and it was decided that it would be the only one.

Now I'm not sure how much Lucas really cares about this stuff, whether he is even aware of the books or such. But if true its unlikely that BW's close working relationship with LA will allow Wookies to be playable without subtitles or as any classes outside of trooper and smuggler.

With Wookiees, what Lucas wants is no more Force sensitive (Jedi or Dark Jedi) Wookiees in established canon. If players were to create a Wookiee Jedi, it wouldn't be canon according to Leeland Chee who stated that anything which is player created is non-canon.

Additionally Wookiees not speaking galactic basic would be the exception since everyone knows what they look like or how they sound. Plus during this time, the Wookiees would be allied with the Republic which would help bring a balance between faction populations seeing as heaps of people would want to become one. However I'm not sure if Wookiees could still become bounty hunters here like with Hanharr 300 years ago.

With Wookiees, what Lucas wants is no more Force sensitive (Jedi or Dark Jedi) Wookiees in established canon. If players were to create a Wookiee Jedi, it wouldn't be canon according to Leeland Chee who stated that anything which is player created is non-canon.

Additionally Wookiees not speaking galactic basic would be the exception since everyone knows what they look like or how they sound. Plus during this time, the Wookiees would be allied with the Republic which would help bring a balance between faction populations seeing as heaps of people would want to become one. However I'm not sure if Wookiees could still become bounty hunters here like with Hanharr 300 years ago.

I suspect the argument becomes how much of TOR is Canon and how important this is to BW. We know that KOTOR and Revan (the man and the novel) have been incorporated into the Extended Universe and in a way Canon. Though there has also been the argument only the first 3 films are truely star wars and everything else was created because of fan demand.

Now I don't have a clue where BW stand on this or even a problem with wookie Jedi there were tons in SWGs galaxies and it was hardly the most problematic of features. I know other games have various sized companions like Gnomes and Goblins and Hobits so there is in my mind no reason that Jawa or the like couldn't be included. That one is a companion and you have to fight them with little problem with targetting. Not to mention

They Can even use the force.

Ultimately though I would first settle for humanoids of roughly human proportions and if the devs listen to the player base and put these in to then hope for large or small species in the character creation options as well.

Edited by Costello

Personally, I'd really like to play as a Jawa, they could be limited to SSmuggler/IA/SI/JC (even though Blizz apperantly uses hevy armor and Blaster Cannons, I prbably wouldn't work wioth players).

As for Wookiees, a lot of the fans would be seriously let down if they spoke basic, part of their appeal (at least for me anyway) is their grunts and growls. Some people on the forums mentioned that their grunts and growls would get annoying after a while, but personally I don't think it would get any more annoying than any of my basic speaking characters catchphrases (Just show me where the fun is, Murder and mayhem await, I've been looking for a reason to cause some chaos, ect.).

beyond that, yes JL did ban any more Wookiees from becoming Jedi, but he never said anything about them not becoming Sith! XD

And I have two very storng possiblities for Hutt Characters:

1. Shell Hutts- http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Shell_Hutts They basically lived in heavy armor, and even had buit-in weaponry attached (good for at least BH, if nothing else)

2. Beldorion a Hutt Dark Jedi http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Beldorion Even though this is the one an only example of a force weilding Hutt that I've found, it shows that not only that they can become Jedi (and I'm guessing Sith too), it also shwes that they can have more athetic body types then Jabba.

The only major thing that would be difficut about Hutts would be they BW would need to need to create a lot of brand new animations for Hutt Jedi/Sith (Shelll Hutts are mostly competely immobile except for the robotic manipular arms of their armor, and some attached weaponry).

As a side note, they can speak basic, but they usually speak Huttese due to their massive superiority complexes (it's possibe that player Hutts could be different), and it is possible for them to grow hair and facial hair (giving more customization options for them) http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Zorba_Desilijic_Tiure

While having Hutt playable characters would be fun I doubt we will ever see it. Personaly I have never understood Hutts. Sure the crime lords are fat and bearly move but they can't all be crime lords and they must have enslaved other species some how, so there must be thinner Hutts who can move, fight and do other stuff other than eat and order droids round.

As for Wookiees, a lot of the fans would be seriously let down if they spoke basic, part of their appeal (at least for me anyway) is their grunts and growls. Some people on the forums mentioned that their grunts and growls would get annoying after a while, but personally I don't think it would get any more annoying than any of my basic speaking characters catchphrases (Just show me where the fun is, Murder and mayhem await, I've been looking for a reason to cause some chaos, ect.).

beyond that, yes JL did ban any more Wookiees from becoming Jedi, but he never said anything about them not becoming Sith! XD

Well one thing some fans seem to have a problem with is races who wont or can't speak basic, although this appears to be a small minority. Plus they generally skip all the cutscenes so it shouldn't matter whether you can't speak basic. I mean if you first saw the films, non-basic speaking beings comes with the territory so if you don't like it don't pick the race.

As mentioned before, Lucas just doesn't want anymore Wookiee Jedi in established canon. Leeland Chee, the man in-charge of Star Wars continuity, has stated that anything player created (the appearance, color, gender, species etc.) is non-canon. The only canon aspects of each player is the background story, the companions they meet, the ship they pilot and the worlds they visit. Whether they're Human, Chiss, Twi'lek, Mirialan or even Wookiee is not established except to the player making it non-canon.

As you can see, BioWare shouldn't have any trouble acquiring permission to implement the choice for players to create Wookiee Jedi or of any other classes. They're just not allowed to create any Wookiee Jedi NPCs.

Species list has been updated.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=2130375

If more playable species are to be added through the Legacy system, hopefully soon we should have an official preview of 1.2 in a couple weeks, or less?

Also I would assume players have already created characters of all classes, they would need to extend the number of characters per server from 8 to 9 or 10 so players can have a go of these new species . I just hope eventually they will become available from the begining and not just through the legacy system.

Edited by Vitas

I would really enjoy Rakata being a playable species.

Another species I would like to play (and isnt on your list) would be droids.

Droids aren't really a race (but then again, neither is Cyborg). I guess specifically is, which droid models (from this era) you'd like to see as playable?

Droids aren't really a race (but then again, neither is Cyborg). I guess specifically is, which droid models (from this era) you'd like to see as playable?

In particular I was thinking of the DX-TX droid from the Empire (could be Republic too, never played Republic) mission on Nar Shaddaa.

/hiss at the OP for not listing JAWA's!!!

These are the races I want to play in order:

Jawa (you better know this one already...)

Cathar (cat people)

Ortolan (little blue elephants)

Selonian (weasle/ferret looking ppl)

Talz (furry people with 2 sets of eyes) would be cute

WOOKIES!!!

Togruta (Red/white faces with head tails)

possibly Voss but they are very gender colored... I would play one if females could be blue and not the bright red that says... HEY I'M HERE HIT ME!!!

I'm just going to copy/paste my reply to a different (but related) thread:

Of species I've already seen in-game that I'd love to see made playable (in no particular order):

Ithorian

Voss (yeah, they seriously rock)

Rodian

MonCal

Togruta

Cathar

Duros

Wookiee (though as I understand it they're not capable of speaking Basic; I can see how that might be a problem)

Jawa (as Wookiee, with equipment being an added issue)

Trandoshan

Nautolan

Gormak

Of species I haven't seen in-game (which doesn't mean they're not there):

Bothan

Cerean

Umbaran (though they might visually be too close to Rattataki)

Zeltron

Quarren (I'm not that much of a fan but sure, why not?)

Falleen

Of the species (and 'species') in-game I'd like to see expanded:

Cyborg (different and more cybernetic parts, please!)

I think I'll add in that I really don't want to see Ewoks or Gungans. >.>