Playable and Companion species suggestion checklist thread

Vitas

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im suprised u put Chagrian as a less likely one.

they look human enougth they are allready in game and have known force users.

Well it wasn't really one I saw mentioned the most than compared to say what you see on the list. I suppose if it's requested more, then I'll move it.

Well it wasn't really one I saw mentioned the most than compared to say what you see on the list. I suppose if it's requested more, then I'll move it.

In all probability, going by statements of the developers when asked about it in the past, we're probably only going to see (at least at first) species that would match the current body types, assets already exist in-game for, and maintain a somewhat humanoid facial appearance.

Edited by CelCawdro

Why are the Taung listed? Didn't they go extinct a long time ago?

You also need to change the possible classes for Wookiees,as George Lucas has put his foot down and said absolutely no more Force using Wookiees. Lowbacca is all you get.

Edited by Temeluchus

Why are the Taung listed? Didn't they go extinct a long time ago?

You also need to change the possible classes for Wookiees,as George Lucas has put his foot down and said absolutely no more Force using Wookiees. Lowbacca is all you get.

The Taung were still around during the Mandalorian Wars and how many were left wasn't exactly recorded. There's no source which states they are extinct yet but that they're scarce.

In regards to Wookiee Jedi, Lucas doesn't want anymore in established canon. The player's species is no way established therefore making it ambiguous. In Star Wars Galaxies, players were allowed to create Wookiee Jedi as anything player created was non-canon. This is why you may've notice that there were Wookiee Jedi NPCs around. In Swtor, the only canon which is established about the player is their class, companions, ship and story whilst their gender and species remains non-canon.

Edited by Vitas

On Topic: A Yoda for the Legacy and companion? Guys, it took a lot of negotiating to score Oteg, especially since we lost Vandar in KoTOR II and Lucas has a very strict policy on adding Yodas. If we want one as a companion, he'd have to be a total mute. Not a single peep out of him. Companions usually talk about themselves sometimes and a Yoda can't spill the beans about itself. It's Lucas' ultimate law. Edited by Artthen
Edited out response to removed post

On Topic: A Yoda for the Legacy and companion? Guys, it took a lot of negotiating to score Oteg, especially since we lost Vandar in KoTOR II and Lucas has a very strict policy on adding Yodas. If we want one as a companion, he'd have to be a total mute. Not a single peep out of him. Companions usually talk about themselves sometimes and a Yoda can't spill the beans about itself. It's Lucas' ultimate law.

Yes that is of course a factor. If one were to be a companion, it can be of course handled carefully. It's up to the writers on how the individual could be explored. Whilst your character is able to befriend them, there could be very little to none discussing about their species and backstory.

Edited by Artthen
Edited out portion of removed post

At this point the game needs more bones and framework and gameplay not more eyecandy.

Much further down the line yes, but right now the fundementals needs alot of work still.

Well of course that's important and it's something the devs are already working on. But that doesn't mean this topic can't be discussed now. As well with each major update which encompasses a big list of bug fixes and improvements, they also incorporate new flashpoints, quests and features. Who is to say that either 1 or 2 new playable species can't be included soon, especially one which is either a re-color or features very minor anatomical features.

The Taung were still around during the Mandalorian Wars and how many were left wasn't exactly recorded. There's no source which states they are extinct yet but that they're scarce.

In regards to Wookiee Jedi, Lucas doesn't want anymore in established canon. The player's species is no way established therefore making it ambiguous. In Star Wars Galaxies, players were allowed to create Wookiee Jedi as anything player created was non-canon. This is why you may've notice that there were Wookiee Jedi NPCs around. In Swtor, the only canon which is established about the player is their class, companions, ship and story whilst their gender and species remains non-canon.

Revan himself killed the last known Taung.

Likewise, SW:G had Wookiee Jedi simply because it was launched before Lucas instituted that rule. Subsequently, the ability for Hanharr in KotORII to become a Jedi was scrapped, even though, as the Dark-side companion opposed to the Neutral/Light-side Mira, he was non-canon as a companion and thus his status as a Jedi would have been non-canon as well. The character doesn't need to be canon to be contrary to Lucas' wishes.

Edited by CelCawdro

Revan himself killed the last known Taung.

Likewise, SW:G had Wookiee Jedi simply because it was launched before Lucas instituted that rule. Subsequently, the ability for Hanharr in KotORII to become a Jedi was scrapped, even though, as the Dark-side companion opposed to the Neutral/Light-side Mira, he was non-canon as a companion and thus his status as a Jedi would have been non-canon as well. The character doesn't need to be canon to be contrary to Lucas' wishes.

Revan didn't kill the last known Taung, he killed Mandalore the Ultimate who was A Taung. Also quoting Wokieepedia:

"Revan fought and killed Mandalore the Ultimate at Malachor V, bringing an end to the Mandalorian Wars not long after. The Mandalorian Wars had been one of the bloodiest conflicts in the history of the Republic, and the casualties among the Taung species had been severe. By the war's end, most believed that the Taung were extinct, though at least one—an unsubstantiated claimant to the title of Mand'alor—survived for several years after the war's end."

As you can see although there were severe losses, how many were left remained to be unknown. Although they were thought to be extinct, when this assumption was made by the galaxy is not said apart from being sometime after the Mandalorian Wars which could be around this time. The Sith Empire was thought to be gone, but here we see them return after 300 years as a dominant power against the Republic. We all thought Darth Maul was dead but we all know he has returned and 2 times again later. A lot can happen within 300 years, who is to say that they didn't raise their numbers between then and return now to fight one last bout. Just keep an open mind and expect the unexpected.

With the Wookiee Jedi, Lucas just doesn't want anymore in established canon. The only canonical facts about your player is their class, companions, ship and story. Since the story direction doesn't change based on the player's gender or species apart from a few differences in dialogue, this remains ambiguous. BioWare wouldn't be allowed to get away with creating a Wookiee Jedi NPC but it would be acceptable for players to create a Wookiee Jedi. Previously in an interview, Leeland Chee whose in-charge of the Star wars continuity at Lucasfilm said that anything player created and driven is non-canon. Even if future source material was to establish the player's species, they wouldn't be allowed to state that they were Wookiee because of the rule Lucas has in place.

What is odd however was that recently, the Dawn of the Jedi series introduced a Wookiee Je'daii master named Ruhr.

Edited by Vitas

Revan didn't kill the last known Taung, he killed Mandalore the Ultimate who was A Taung. Also quoting Wokieepedia:

"Revan fought and killed Mandalore the Ultimate at Malachor V, bringing an end to the Mandalorian Wars not long after. The Mandalorian Wars had been one of the bloodiest conflicts in the history of the Republic, and the casualties among the Taung species had been severe. By the war's end, most believed that the Taung were extinct, though at least one—an unsubstantiated claimant to the title of Mand'alor—survived for several years after the war's end."

As you can see although there were severe losses, how many were left remained to be unknown. Although they were thought to be extinct, when this assumption was made by the galaxy is not said apart from being sometime after the Mandalorian Wars which could be around this time. The Sith Empire was thought to be gone, but here we see them return after 300 years as a dominant power against the Republic. We all thought Darth Maul was dead but we all know he has returned and 2 times again later. A lot can happen within 300 years, who is to say that they didn't raise their numbers between then and return now to fight one last bout. Just keep an open mind and expect the unexpected.

With the Wookiee Jedi, Lucas just doesn't want anymore in established canon. The only canonical facts about your player is their class, companions, ship and story. Since the story direction doesn't change based on the player's gender or species apart from a few differences in dialogue, this remains ambiguous. BioWare wouldn't be allowed to get away with creating a Wookiee Jedi NPC but it would be acceptable for players to create a Wookiee Jedi. Previously in an interview, Leeland Chee whose in-charge of the Star wars continuity at Lucasfilm said that anything player created and driven is non-canon. Even if future source material was to establish the player's species, they wouldn't be allowed to state that they were Wookiee because of the rule Lucas has in place.

What is odd however was that recently, the Dawn of the Jedi series introduced a Wookiee Je'daii master named Ruhr.

i don't know man, feels like you are clasping at straws to justify them as possibilities.

In regards to Wookiees,Trandoshans and other non near human and non Basic speaking species,you are ignoring the rather lengthy dev quote from PAX a year or two ago expressing their reluctance to include playable species that the player would "have trouble identifying with" i.e. not speaking Basic, being non humanoid.

The two largest selling points of SWTOR are 1. story driven and 2. voice acted. The voice acting is minimized with playable species like Wookiees and Trandoshans because it would take place in subtitles with random audio of growls,grunts,hisses and clicks playing over it. Sure, we have NPCs that don't speak Basic but that's a lot different than sitting through hours and hours of this as your character.

As for the Taung, I think it's better to shut the door on them and consider them as extinct as it helps the fans to think of the Mandalorians that we all know and have seen for years and not the original Mandalorians. It could be quite confusing to the average fan that is not well versed in lore explaining how the Taung became the Mandalorians and then X happened, then Y and now we have various clans of multiple species all under the same ideology calling themselves Mandalorians.

Edited by Temeluchus

Although, i don't think it will ever happen, I have said it over and over again in-game and i'll say it here as well... I WANT TO BE ABLE TO PLAY AS AN ASSASIN DROID!!!! HK-47 was one of my fave caracters in the KOTOR series. With all the NPC droids of varying types on practically every world in SWTOR, you should be able to play one. Hell, Darkhorse comics brought back R2-D2 in the SW: Legacy comics and that series is set almost 150 after ROTJ!!!!

Although, i don't think it will ever happen, I have said it over and over again in-game and i'll say it here as well... I WANT TO BE ABLE TO PLAY AS AN ASSASIN DROID!!!! HK-47 was one of my fave caracters in the KOTOR series. With all the NPC droids of varying types on practically every world in SWTOR, you should be able to play one. Hell, Darkhorse comics brought back R2-D2 in the SW: Legacy comics and that series is set almost 150 after ROTJ!!!!

HK-51 is on the way. Bioware said that we'll get an Assassination droid some time in the furture. Just have to figure a way to introduce him that would be on par with 47's introduction.

I'd just like to see some sensible additions being made playable.

Its downright rediculous that Trandoshans and Rhodians are not playable as bounty hunters considering that both species seem to pretty much embody the proffesion. Makes more sense than humans even for this class, and certainly more than any other races that are currently playable as bounty hunter.

I simply won't play that class untill a proper race for it is added.

Jedi are supposed to be versatile, of many races so more variety here would be very welcome. Kel Dor would be a great addition here considering that many of them are force sensitive. Breathmask and goggles could be amongst their customisation options to help differentate them. Scars, skin colors and such could always be available for all species either way.

I don't really mind that less human races such as wookies or Ithorians arent playable since they would require completely different armor sets and are incapable of speaking basic, but any race that is capable of speaking basic and can wear regular pants and chest pieces like other races should be no problem. Claws or such would just mean hidden gloves or boots.

Might also be nice if Bioware would add some alien specific helmets. I am sure that alien species would have helmets of their own designs and that humans are not the only manufacturers of helmets.

i don't know man, feels like you are clasping at straws to justify them as possibilities.

In regards to Wookiees,Trandoshans and other non near human and non Basic speaking species,you are ignoring the rather lengthy dev quote from PAX a year or two ago expressing their reluctance to include playable species that the player would "have trouble identifying with" i.e. not speaking Basic, being non humanoid.

The two largest selling points of SWTOR are 1. story driven and 2. voice acted. The voice acting is minimized with playable species like Wookiees and Trandoshans because it would take place in subtitles with random audio of growls,grunts,hisses and clicks playing over it. Sure, we have NPCs that don't speak Basic but that's a lot different than sitting through hours and hours of this as your character.

As for the Taung, I think it's better to shut the door on them and consider them as extinct as it helps the fans to think of the Mandalorians that we all know and have seen for years and not the original Mandalorians. It could be quite confusing to the average fan that is not well versed in lore explaining how the Taung became the Mandalorians and then X happened, then Y and now we have various clans of multiple species all under the same ideology calling themselves Mandalorians.

With Wookiees and Trandoshans, Star Wars fans and players should already know before hand that neither speak basic. However some Trandoshans have actually been known to speak galactic basic. From what I've seen, it's a small minority who don't want to play as a species who can't speak basic. Everyone else doesn't seem to really mind from the comments I've read. If you don't want to play as a species who can't speak basic, then don't pick it.

As with the Taung, like I said, keep an open mind and expect the unexpected.

not being able to identify with it is not something that flies.

Why is the Empire playable then? why are there dark side options? why would people even want to identify with the character on screen in the first place? To me thats a character on its own, its not me and never will be.

And I doubt anyone can truly identify with being a corpse looting mass murderer.

not being able to identify with it is not something that flies.

Why is the Empire playable then? why are there dark side options? why would people even want to identify with the character on screen in the first place? To me thats a character on its own, its not me and never will be.

And I doubt anyone can truly identify with being a corpse looting mass murderer.

Sheldon Cooper.

/argument.

I would definately love to have trandoshan as a playable race, on star wars galaxies it was the coolest thing ever seeing a big bad lookin lizard with a lightsaber and no boots (just big ugly toenails) and furthermore, teras kasi master unarmed animations were some of the coolest moves i've seen in a game, tho they were very crappy placement wise. (cos the games character placement sucked) I was kinda dissappointed by the lack of race selections, and come on. you know deep down EVERY star wars fan, who's ever played any star wars game, was sitting there thinking why oh why, can't i play a race like yoda? Be the coolest thing ever being shorter than a jawa hackin' stuff up and flippin' around. (also coolest scene in the movies, yoda's fighting style with acrobatic jumps etc. YES! BIOWARE READ THIS THREAD MORE PLAYABLE RACES!!!!! and i mean hey, with the new legacy system race unlocks, how cool would it be to see yodas class all nasty with darkside corruption.. or a lil pint sized bounty hunter, or a tank ahaha come on! yoda size in bounty hunter armor. just throwin that out there, come on people! keep this post screaming with popularity! brainstorm, just reply and say you give your vote and wanna see more races. Edited by Tolian
profanity

I'm just going to copy/paste my reply to a different (but related) thread:

Of species I've already seen in-game that I'd love to see made playable (in no particular order):

Voss (yeah, they seriously rock)

Wookiee (though as I understand it they're not capable of speaking Basic; I can see how that might be a problem)

I think I'll add in that I really don't want to see Ewoks or Gungans. >.>

Voss (hell yeah wouldnt even think about it and just reroll )

and your right about ewoks , pls dont even think about adding them.

however ...............gungans , hmm hard call they are kinda funny

What i would like to see is a PvP style game mechanic that would allow you to choose more races.

Eg. Voss, once a day a massive PvP event happens on Voss and which ever faction controls the planet gets to create Voss playable characters.

And you need to bring in more of this kind of planets eg. Cathar and Togruta homeworlds