Playable and Companion species suggestion checklist thread

Vitas

I keep getting directed here from other Threads so the Dev's must know about the desire for more species, has there been any official annoncement if we will get any new species, and if any of them will be iconic star wars species, not painted humans?

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not being able to identify with it is not something that flies.

Why is the Empire playable then? why are there dark side options? why would people even want to identify with the character on screen in the first place? To me thats a character on its own, its not me and never will be.

And I doubt anyone can truly identify with being a corpse looting mass murderer.

Kinda hope no one identifies with a corpse looting mass murderer :) I agree with the original post. I dont need to know how a Ke'dor thinks to enjoy playing one. I have no idea how a Chiss would think or a Jedi knight but I can still enjoy the game,

Kinda hope no one identifies with a corpse looting mass murderer :) I agree with the original post. I dont need to know how a Ke'dor thinks to enjoy playing one. I have no idea how a Chiss would think or a Jedi knight but I can still enjoy the game,

You guys are taking it too literally. its more of the ability to identify with the 2 eyes, 2 arms,2 legs near human or humanoid species and not being able to identify with a big ball of sapient gas with a brain or a gigantic intelligent bunny. I think the comment was directed towards immersion.

Here is the full quote from Daniel Erickson. As I mentioned before it is from PAX 2010, so BW's views on things may have changed from then until now but it does give you an idea of the rationale behind the current playable species and possibly the direction of future playable species.:

Hey Folks,

Sorry for the confusion. Booth chat is, let’s be clear, not an official information release. What you got was one line of an extended conversation that was had between me and one of the players at the booth. We started talking about what made a hero in Star Wars and then, once that was clear, there were some jokes about what the romances would look like had we gone for the toybox approach of letting you play anything in the action figure line. That’s the part of the conversation the quote came from.

The first part was merely a repetition of something we’ve said before. Namely that lead characters in an RPG must be something the player can relate to. There has never been a movie or major Star Wars series with a complete freak job as the lead and that’s because dramatically it doesn’t work. We don’t understand what it means to be a giant lizard or a droid or a walking ball of jelly. We love the weird characters but they are always the sidekicks, not the emotional connection in the movie. To do an RPG that way every NPC you ran into would have to react to you depending on their own cultural bias and the entire “into the strange” adventure that is Star Wars would be lost as you would be the strangest thing in the room. People would constantly be asking you for information about your weird species and their emotional content that the vast majority of players simply wouldn’t have and their ability to really BE this character would be nil.

So whether it’s Dragon Age, Mass Effect or The Old Republic, PCs are near enough to humans for us to crawl into their skin. They have generally understandable facial expressions, they don’t look ludicrous speaking the basic language, they can interact with the rest of the galaxy without a constant “what the heck?” reaction from the NPCs. The freaks, the droids, the weird that we get to know and learn about–that’s where our companions come in.

It’s okay to turn to your companions and say “What are you supposed to be?” It’s not okay to look in the mirror and say that.

In the future I can see a day where we would do a Trandoshan or Wookiee type story but it would have to be just that. Not a simple graphic swap where now your smuggler is a giant lizard man and nobody notices but a full class story where you learn what it means to be this strange alien and deal with the rest of the galaxy and their reactions. For the present, however, our heroes are our projections of self, headed into a galaxy of wonders and adventures.

I know that this isn’t what some people want but I hope it helps them understand that game design isn’t simply throwing random features into a game because they seem cool. You have to have a goal, a final holistic ideal that you’re trying to hit. The Old Republic is, and always has been, about starring in your own version of a Star Wars movie. Not playing a background character from scene 5, not about living a humdrum day to day existence in the Star Wars worlds (there are no refreshers–sorry!) and not about pulling out the extended action figure line and getting to use it as virtual costume party. None of these are, by themselves, bad goals and could absolutely be fun in a very different sort of game. But in TOR they would work directly against what we were trying to achieve.

So did we limit species choice for romances? No. Did we limit them for our goal of bringing cinematic storytelling and the dream of living the Star Wars movies to the MMO space? Absolutely.

Edited by Temeluchus

You guys are taking it too literally. its more of the ability to identify with the 2 eyes, 2 arms,2 legs near human or humanoid species and not being able to identify with a big ball of sapient gas with a brain or a gigantic intelligent bunny. I think the comment was directed towards immersion.

Here is the full quote from Daniel Erickson. As I mentioned before it is from PAX 2010, so BW's views on things may have changed from then until now but it does give you an idea of the rationale behind the current playable species and possibly the direction of future playable species.:

Hey Folks,

Sorry for the confusion. Booth chat is, let’s be clear, not an official information release. What you got was one line of an extended conversation that was had between me and one of the players at the booth. We started talking about what made a hero in Star Wars and then, once that was clear, there were some jokes about what the romances would look like had we gone for the toybox approach of letting you play anything in the action figure line. That’s the part of the conversation the quote came from.

The first part was merely a repetition of something we’ve said before. Namely that lead characters in an RPG must be something the player can relate to. There has never been a movie or major Star Wars series with a complete freak job as the lead and that’s because dramatically it doesn’t work. We don’t understand what it means to be a giant lizard or a droid or a walking ball of jelly. We love the weird characters but they are always the sidekicks, not the emotional connection in the movie. To do an RPG that way every NPC you ran into would have to react to you depending on their own cultural bias and the entire “into the strange” adventure that is Star Wars would be lost as you would be the strangest thing in the room. People would constantly be asking you for information about your weird species and their emotional content that the vast majority of players simply wouldn’t have and their ability to really BE this character would be nil.

So whether it’s Dragon Age, Mass Effect or The Old Republic, PCs are near enough to humans for us to crawl into their skin. They have generally understandable facial expressions, they don’t look ludicrous speaking the basic language, they can interact with the rest of the galaxy without a constant “what the heck?” reaction from the NPCs. The freaks, the droids, the weird that we get to know and learn about–that’s where our companions come in.

It’s okay to turn to your companions and say “What are you supposed to be?” It’s not okay to look in the mirror and say that.

In the future I can see a day where we would do a Trandoshan or Wookiee type story but it would have to be just that. Not a simple graphic swap where now your smuggler is a giant lizard man and nobody notices but a full class story where you learn what it means to be this strange alien and deal with the rest of the galaxy and their reactions. For the present, however, our heroes are our projections of self, headed into a galaxy of wonders and adventures.

I know that this isn’t what some people want but I hope it helps them understand that game design isn’t simply throwing random features into a game because they seem cool. You have to have a goal, a final holistic ideal that you’re trying to hit. The Old Republic is, and always has been, about starring in your own version of a Star Wars movie. Not playing a background character from scene 5, not about living a humdrum day to day existence in the Star Wars worlds (there are no refreshers–sorry!) and not about pulling out the extended action figure line and getting to use it as virtual costume party. None of these are, by themselves, bad goals and could absolutely be fun in a very different sort of game. But in TOR they would work directly against what we were trying to achieve.

So did we limit species choice for romances? No. Did we limit them for our goal of bringing cinematic storytelling and the dream of living the Star Wars movies to the MMO space? Absolutely.

yeah but I also heard DE was up in arms about Sith Purebloods being aloud to be Sith Inqusitors because it ruined the story but now I have a Sith Pure Blood smuggler so I think things change. And if enough people wanted to play a Hutt, and would pay to do it I am damn sure Hutts would be playable within days as long as the money keeps rolling in,

What about the Dathomirians? - Darth Mauls race (according to Wookieepedia)

Seemingly easy to add, as they're very similar to the Zabrak.

Dathomirian just refers to any Human, Zabrak or Rattatak hybrid who was born on Dathomir. The hybrid's may've had a Human mother and a Zabrak maleling but they featured no major cosmetic changes.

Just like on Korriban, you've seen some NPCs who were Sith Pureblood / Human hybrid, however they appear to look like average humans.

You have to have characters that speak english (Their species commonly needs to speak Basic), you need to have near humanoid species for some cutscenes for them to look right with animations, and you also can cancel out some species because they need to be compatible for relationships.

Failing that, these unique races (Jawa, Ewok, Ithorian) would need to have their own class or unique set of companions/dialogue to properly work.

For example, without specifically changing it for a Jawa with a new animation, Kira Carsen can't make out with the PC seeing how he's 2 feet tall and doesn't have a mouth. That's a lot of work, a lot of work that might not have a satisfying payoff. Would probably be easier to add a female Jawa NPC romance.

You may say you don't plan to romance as a Jawa/Ewok/Ithorian etc., but the option must always be there for either side of the argument.

It would be cool, but its just not worth doing. I do look forward to Nautolans, Cathar, Togruta and a few others with existing models.

Edited by DeutschGamer

I dont want to be a troll....but would be nice less humanoid species.

Im' looking foward for maybe Talz and Wookies. (especially Talz...PLZ BLIZZARD, PLZ PLZ PLZ) :D

in the lack of those, i still prefer a humanoid more like alien though....like maybe Togruta and Cathar for the republic, and for empire chagrian and [insert a species here]

Hey Folks,

Daniel Ericksons argument was debunked the moment the legacy unlocks came in. Sith Pure Blood Trooper, would anyone trust him they sure wouldn't be ignored as much as it is with the story every conversation would be your a freking sith! And that is if they could get within a mile of a republic area without being blown to bits before they could say I'm one of your cause my dad is a Pureblood Sith in the Empire!

If you can accept a story where a Sith Pureblood is in the Republic, you can easily have a story where the hero is a Trandoshian or Gran or any of the other desired species. As for the romance I sometimes find that very strange argument given how little there is in the game and that none of it seems to be linked to appearance or species but more on completing missions and clicking flirt or giving over gifts. And it doesn't even take into consideration if the person is married through the legacy system. With so few features linked to either story or romance to say that it wouldn't make sence or be understandable as a non human is crazy.

Giving people the option to play more interesting species is far more of a bonus that a slight difficulty in how the story plays out. After all there are plenty of plot holes in the story where someone with 10,000 affection betrays you etc.

You have to have characters that speak english (Their species commonly needs to speak Basic), you need to have near humanoid species for some cutscenes for them to look right with animations, and you also can cancel out some species because they need to be compatible for relationships.

Failing that, these unique races (Jawa, Ewok, Ithorian) would need to have their own class or unique set of companions/dialogue to properly work.

For example, without specifically changing it for a Jawa with a new animation, Kira Carsen can't make out with the PC seeing how he's 2 feet tall and doesn't have a mouth. That's a lot of work, a lot of work that might not have a satisfying payoff. Would probably be easier to add a female Jawa NPC romance.

You may say you don't plan to romance as a Jawa/Ewok/Ithorian etc., but the option must always be there for either side of the argument.

It would be cool, but its just not worth doing. I do look forward to Nautolans, Cathar, Togruta and a few others with existing models.

Changes and tweaks to the story can be made for these non speaking species to work. Their height doesn't have to be a problem, surely they can adjust the camera during cutscenes to see their view. Plus changes to how relationships would work can be made just for them. Just like how currently only one gender can romance specific companions, the same could be made for these species. Of course a female/male wookiee and Bowdarr relationship is the only one I can think of so far being possible, whose to say that none of the other companions have a thing for Sullustans or hairy walking things.

Edited by Vitas

From this weeks Q&A:

JimG: Is there any sort of ETA on adding completely new playable species into the game such as Togruta, Mon Calamari, Nautolan, etc.?

Daniel: Can’t comment on what species you might see, but you can expect the roster of playable species to expand... this year.

http://www.swtor.com/blog/community-qa-april-27th-2012

Yay! :cool:

That should be very interesting to find out. Hopefully it is one of the most popular ones. A completely obscure one would also be a huge plus.

That should be very interesting to find out. Hopefully it is one of the most popular ones. A completely obscure one would also be a huge plus.

Yes the quote made my day. Hopefully they will put in a high number of new species and some more alien choices. Wonder if it will be legacy or expansion unlocked.

I would hope the Devs would or have looked at this post for ideas. I would also suspect that any race that makes an appearance in the forum avatars has to be inconsideration. They have enough of a unique look or identity to have been picked by the art team to be avatars on the forum so why not in game. Of course if the current armour doesn't work for them probably less likely outside of an expansion pack.

The post implied that we should see the list of playable races increase some time during this year.

Personally i doubt we'll see any expansions within a year of the games release :p so i would expect any new races to be humanoid and i'm almost willing to bet money that we won't see any races that arent capable of speaking basic, infact i doubt we'll ever get to play any race that can't speak basic, would be nice but still i find it unlikely.

Definitely looking forward to seeing some news about this in the near (hopefully not to far) future!

The post implied that we should see the list of playable races increase some time during this year.

Personally i doubt we'll see any expansions within a year of the games release :p so i would expect any new races to be humanoid and i'm almost willing to bet money that we won't see any races that arent capable of speaking basic, infact i doubt we'll ever get to play any race that can't speak basic, would be nice but still i find it unlikely.

Definitely looking forward to seeing some news about this in the near (hopefully not to far) future!

Well then I suppose Zeltron, Falleen and Togruta and I suppose Nautolan and Cathar are the most likely candidates.

Additionally you have Arkanian, Biituian, Teevan, Sakiyan, Echani and Cerean which would work as well.

Any chance BIOWARE plan to add new race thats SMALLER than current humanoid selection of races ?

Possibility of Small Humanoid race is endless in SW universe.. we can play as :

- Yoda-like race , Jedi Only , bonus racial = no cooldown on Force Jump

- Ughnaut race , Smuggler/Agent only , bonus racial = +15 Cybertech

- Jawa race , Smuggler/Agent, bonus racial = +15 Scavenge

- Maxrebo race , Jedi/Sith/ Smugger / Agent , bonus racial = cannot be CC'ed

Any chance BIOWARE plan to add new race thats SMALLER than current humanoid selection of races ?

Possibility of Small Humanoid race is endless in SW universe.. we can play as :

- Yoda-like race , Jedi Only , bonus racial = no cooldown on Force Jump

- Ughnaut race , Smuggler/Agent only , bonus racial = +15 Cybertech

- Jawa race , Smuggler/Agent, bonus racial = +15 Scavenge

- Maxrebo race , Jedi/Sith/ Smugger / Agent , bonus racial = cannot be CC'ed

Yoda's race could work as a companion species, not playable. Max Rebo's species is called Ortolan.

Hey forum admin if your going to push people to the post maybe you could sticky it for everyone to find, in fact sticky the posts in my signature.

I've actually emailed them about it but there's been no reply. If everyone was to email them about it here: communitysupport@swtor.com

then we might get an answer much sooner.

Hey forum admin if your going to push people to the post maybe you could sticky it for everyone to find, in fact sticky the posts in my signature.

What I always find funny is people start their own thread, people post on it, the thread gets closed down they get sent here. And then none of the people posting on the closed thread post here.

Still I just hope if Bioware is aware of this thread maybe they will see what species people have been asking for when they add more. Personaly I am hopin for Gran, Kel'Dor and Mon'Cal. All can speak basic and have models in game.