Playable and Companion species suggestion checklist thread

Vitas

Not to rain on the parade but lets reign this in a bit. There should be some guidelines to this sort of speculation:

1. Stick to species that have the ability to speak basic. They're not going to throw away your classes voice-over so that you can play something with two mouths or something that only speaks in grunts and barks.

2. Take a look at the character customization. It has to be something that fits in all of the available body types. It has to have options for all the facial features. I think this is where Nautolan may fail. Sure, they meet most other criteria, but you'd be screwed in character customization. No options for eyes, as to my knowledge, all nautolan eyes look the same. Jawas don't work either, aside from linguistic issues as they only have one body type that's not currently available, and I challenge anyone to tell me how to tell one Jawa from another.

3. Something that isn't so esoteric that it would have to be it's own class. Wookiees for example, are so unique and iconic that in order to do them justice, they'd have to have their own class, as none of the current class stories can really show what it's like to be a wookiee. This of course is ignoring their linguistic barriers.

4. Equipment. Wookiees, Jawas, etc.

5. Make sure it's distinguishable from current species. Umbarans would be hard to pick from Rattataki. From a distance, I don't think I could tell a Zeltron from a Pureblood. My favorite pick, Kiffar, is simply way to close to human. I may as well just make a human with nice facial tattoos. Same goes for Echani really (my jedi sentinel is a white skinned human I'm passing for an Echani).

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh, copying my reply over. Yay for consolidation.

In the mean time, I would recommend a few guidelines:

All good points, but I figure that we'll be waiting until an expansion before we see any new species. New expansion means new VO work and new scripting, so in theory they could add more content in for the base classes to take this into account.

Like I said, they could release an expansion purely dedicated to new species (including the VO and cutscene changes needed to take them into account) with just the content mentioned here.

I'm not saying they WILL, or even that they should, but they certainly could.

1. Stick to species that have the ability to speak basic. They're not going to throw away your classes voice-over so that you can play something with two mouths or something that only speaks in grunts and barks.

While I haven't seen any actual examples of it myself I believe Ithorians actually can speak Basic*, but with an odd stereophonic voice. Only Ithorians can speak Ithorese, though, as I understand it.

In any case, even the most reclusive and/or sheltered classes seem to know all languages spoken anywhere, so recording some new (and somewhat less repetitive) 'alien' language VO and utilising subtitles would solve that (and be cheaper for Bioware to implement, technically).

* = I'm sure I've seen this written somewhere but I can't for the life of me remember where^. Might have been the Star Wars RPG and yes, that stretches canon, but so does this game.

^ = Oh, there it is, on Wookieepedia, in the History section.

Edited by Kioma

Yep. The list is flawed.

1. It contains races with which Republic and/or Empire had no contact what so ever in times of TOR making them invalid straight from the beginning.

2. Some of species are impossible to distinguish from current races, or differences are so slight that I don't see any point of including them - just add more hair-styles or tattoos - the result will be the same.

3. Many races on the list traditionally don't speak Basic.

4. Choice of classes appear to be semi-random in most cases. Purely pro-republican races shouldn't be available for Sith Empire, not in current setting of the game.

5. Many races won't be able to use current equipment. Although it can be solved in a way companions are (no visual change or only chest part appears on the character, while all the other are just stats), it makes them automatically far less desired than fully usable races.

6. Many races were extremely rare outside their home planets (jawas!) - adding them would be huge immersion-breaker for anyone considering himself Star Wars fan.

If more playable species are to be added through the Legacy system, hopefully soon we should have an official preview of 1.2 in a couple weeks, or less?.

AFAIK 1.2 won't add any species to the game.

Edited by Sky_walkerPL

I dont see how neutral wookies (at this time era) would be a good idea to either side.

Gungan also were only submersed race of warriors, and preferred to be alone.

yodas specie was rare, i mean rare. They lived long but scarse.

Ewoks??? they cant even master the spaceflight, neither common language, as a sidekick this would do, but not as a major race.

By all these means, we need to eliminate every race that is : exoscentric, tech level is of an bows and arrows, only exists in 1 planet, is not capable as a race to space travel or attaining technology to do so.

I was so siked about the Star Wars game--

When it was first announced by Bioware I told all my friends I was going to be a Cathar smuggler.

...years pass then the release date...

I can be a smuggler--but no CATHAR!

Biggest personal disappointment for me of the game.:(

At least I was still able to be a Twi'leak jedi...but not quite the same.

I dont see how neutral wookies (at this time era) would be a good idea to either side.

Gungan also were only submersed race of warriors, and preferred to be alone.

yodas specie was rare, i mean rare. They lived long but scarse.

Ewoks??? they cant even master the spaceflight, neither common language, as a sidekick this would do, but not as a major race.

By all these means, we need to eliminate every race that is : exoscentric, tech level is of an bows and arrows, only exists in 1 planet, is not capable as a race to space travel or attaining technology to do so.

As you've seen not all Wookiees have been known to be neutral and most appear to swear allegiance to the Republic.

For Gungans, around this time there was both civil war between the clans and the humans. Most of these battles have been depicted on land as shown in "Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds".

Yoda's species may be rarely seen but there's no lore which states how rare they are.

Ewoks are more suited as a companion species as mentioned before.

As you can see, most of the events and lore during this period have not been stated. Before TOR was announced, we could've assumed that the Chiss were no known yet but here we see them as playable. All we can do is wait and see what BioWare will bring us.

Yoda's species may be rarely seen but there's no lore which states how rare they are.

I believe you'll find Yoda's species will never become a playable character race. George Lucas keeps a strict policy on the matter and has cancelled publications in the past that have hinted at the species' location, lifestyle and so on.

Rarity has nothing to do with it, by the look of things. I was actually surprised there were any in this game at all.

I believe you'll find Yoda's species will never become a playable character race. George Lucas keeps a strict policy on the matter and has cancelled publications in the past that have hinted at the species' location, lifestyle and so on.

Rarity has nothing to do with it, by the look of things. I was actually surprised there were any in this game at all.

That's why they may better suited as a companion species as listed in the first post. Being a companion species wouldn't mean much of their history would be revealed, just about the character which this information can be limited without revealing anything about their species.

That's why they may better suited as a companion species as listed in the first post. Being a companion species wouldn't mean much of their history would be revealed, just about the character which this information can be limited without revealing anything about their species.

To be honest I think it would be better if they were left out entirely, neither companion nor playable. I like the fact that they're so rare that there's only ever two or three seen around the galaxy at any one time.

That's just my opinion, mind you. Carry on!

As you've seen not all Wookiees have been known to be neutral and most appear to swear allegiance to the Republic.

For Gungans, around this time there was both civil war between the clans and the humans. Most of these battles have been depicted on land as shown in "Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds".

Ewoks are more suited as a companion species as mentioned before.

As you can see, most of the events and lore during this period have not been stated. Before TOR was announced, we could've assumed that the Chiss were no known yet but here we see them as playable. All we can do is wait and see what BioWare will bring us.

well, in kotr2, the wookies were fighting pouchers and miners in theyr tribalistic states having civil wars amongst themselfs, let me rephrace that, tribal wars, looting technology from the mining corporation. Living in treehuts, i dont see how they could master space flight, not having common as language, i dont think they have means to obtain technology to master or lease ships for services... i can see how they could become bountyhunters, but thats it. Do remember that this happens roughly 300 years after these events. Even in the movies episode 3, they are still using same technology and swinging with vines to battle with yoda when order 66 was given.

yodas rarity is clear and theyr attunement to force, this comes clear from in how many books and novels appears yodas kind, theres only 2 known yedi described to yoda. Also not knowing the species name is ovious sign that theres not much of em so its pretty rare and unknown specie... and i am starting to think lucas wants to keep it that way. As for longevity, yoda itself says to skywalker: "live yourself 700 years ... (i forgat the rest, but it was for health issues)" in the movies.

and as for the lore between this era and next can be deducted from what they have in the movies. in era between kotor1 to first movie is 3,956 (BBY), so roughly in 4000 years estimating what species appeared in the movie and what appeared in kotr you can tell somewhat how they evolved. Oviosly, tech has not been upgraded that much.

javas stole sand crawlers and operates black market trades in the dunes, occasionally making other trade related tasks in spaceports.

Edited by JHawx

"When nine hundred years YOU reach look as good you will not."

Lucas ordered the pulping of an entire run of collectible cards from the Star Wars CCG because it had a picture of Yoda's people worshipping a statue. He wants to keep it secret.

Personally I think that a species could become entirely independent in regards to space flight whether they developed it themselves or not. Chewbacca was an extremely talented mechanic, and was one of the main reasons the Falcon kept going so long. No reason one couldn't strike off on his or her own.

Having said that I wonder if we'll EVER see species that aren't near-Human, or otherwise pretty darn Humanoid, available for play for one reason: romance subplot. Playing a Talz Bounty Hunter or an Ithorian Jedi Knighr would be a lot of fun... but it does rather cut down on romance options. I can't see Kira happily snogging an Ithorian.

"When nine hundred years YOU reach look as good you will not."

Lucas ordered the pulping of an entire run of collectible cards from the Star Wars CCG because it had a picture of Yoda's people worshipping a statue. He wants to keep it secret.

thanx for correction.

Lucas also removed 1 storyline from a book because it stated sith actually destroyed the yodas homeworld, and when the "original sith" were created, first planets they fought, amongst these were enlightened "yodas". This was in the book where they tired to find the infamous library disk ship (was black with many observation decks, somehow i dont recall its name either)

• 2 weeks later...
So let me get this straight. You people don;t want playable species that DO NOT speak basic. You do realize that alone is what makes it difficult to even implement a new species. It's not the character modelling or skinning that's the issue, it's hiring people to voice and implement all of this. Edited by Valkuu
Rude

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i want to see Gormaks (the really huge guys with heads like pirahnas) in the game either as a playable character or as a companion, they are already in the game as NPCs.

Most can speak Basic (english) and some have force abilities so i dont see the issue