Anti-social gamers in a mmorpg?

Colryn

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Social points/levels is another dev inspired piece of garbage mechanic. This mechanic along with the dev needs to be removed.

I use folks as needed for grouping and i get used, thats how i like it, i should not have to be forced to group to see all the content or cool little gadgets, or lame little gadgets as i pay the same monthly fee. These devs do have one talent, a keen eye at how to lose subscriptions from a large demographic that is the solo player, occasional grouper, they have no concept of rewards in regardss to a purchased subscription, one reason this game is falling flat on its face.

One redeeming quality of this game is that many busybodies are not present simply because of the broken content and forced mechanics.

Me too! My bounty hunter has been grouped since level 1.

Yep. Having a gamer at home makes those points rack up really fast (and really adds a lot of fun to the conversations).

My Jedi Guardian, Bounty Hunter, Sith Juggernaut and Jedi Sage are my "paired" characters, and they've all got more social points than I know what to do with. The rest are for playing around on when my favorite companion isn't available. :)

Edited by Pink_Saber

Whole point of levelling in any MMO is so you can team up for TOUGH missions, the general stance of any MMO is to group up, otherwise you may as well play soemthing like Skyrim.

WRONG. The point of any game, MMO or not, is enjoyment. I enjoy this game (solo), why would I play something else? Because I CAN group but would rather not? That's a reason not to play?

Sorry, but Just because you can do something doens't make it the whole point of the game. You CAN PvP. You CAN craft. You CAN Role play. You CAN solo. You CAN group. You don't have to. You can just do the stuff you like. At least that's how it should be.

MMO's offer many aspects to many different types of players. Just because YOU play to group up doesn't mean it's the only reason to play.

Edited by Spymaster

They seem to be introducing more social items- as a consular, I can't find a pair of pants LOL, and I've seen 2 new pairs of pants that are social gear show up on fleet in the last 2 weeks. leveling as a group through the nar shaddaa bonus sseries put me over level for alderan- pretty bad. What I find frustrating, is that I can't do anything with my story missions while part of a group. I feel like my party members should have the option to at least accompany me, and watch my conversations. Yeah, it would spoil the story line for them, but then they wouldn't have to wait on me, or leave the group.

They seem to be introducing more social items- as a consular, I can't find a pair of pants LOL, and I've seen 2 new pairs of pants that are social gear show up on fleet in the last 2 weeks. leveling as a group through the nar shaddaa bonus sseries put me over level for alderan- pretty bad. What I find frustrating, is that I can't do anything with my story missions while part of a group. I feel like my party members should have the option to at least accompany me, and watch my conversations. Yeah, it would spoil the story line for them, but then they wouldn't have to wait on me, or leave the group.

Umm yes you can bring group mates into storyline quests, I did it all the time. There might be a couple that require certain companion where you can't get group of 4 players, but otherwise you certainly can run with 2 or 3 other players no issues. Just make sure they all have that 'allow access to same class storyline' setting checked if they're same class as you.

They can enter, fight alongside you, watch the conversations/cutscenes, the only thing they can't do is influence the conversation options.

Are you in a new guild with people you don't know? It's kind of unusual to not have guildies level together or group. I would bring it up to them. Maybe see if they prefer a scheduled guild leveling run.

As for social points, I enjoy the silly vanity rewards. Nothing quite as neat as a group of sand people (social reward tier 3 gear sets from tatooine) running about and questing. Or a squadron of imperial pilots (social tier 3 gear from Coruscant) marchign through the space station.

I know some people are having issues with social points, but I haven't experienced it.

Use the social panel to search for like leveled players in your area and see if they want to group up. Or ask in general chat. Most players on my server are pretty social and helpful.

To be honest, I'm playing this game fully solo, simply because I prefer keeping to myself in online games and because I just want to enjoy Bioware storytelling in a Star Wars universe. I tend to play games to unwind nowadays rather than challenge myself, and when I want to be alone. I prefer to team up with people I know IRL, even though I have a guilded character.

However, I showed one of my best buddies the game yesterday, and even though he's more of a twitch gamer FPS type he loved what he saw, and will buy it if his life settles down the way he wants, so it's quite likely I'll be teaming up more in the coming weeks.

WRONG. The point of any game, MMO or not, is enjoyment. I enjoy this game (solo), why would I play something else? Because I CAN group but would rather not? That's a reason not to play?

Sorry, but Just because you can do something doens't make it the whole point of the game. You CAN PvP. You CAN craft. You CAN Role play. You CAN solo. You CAN group. You don't have to. You can just do the stuff you like. At least that's how it should be.

MMO's offer many aspects to many different types of players. Just because YOU play to group up doesn't mean it's the only reason to play.

Had to jump in since you were so adamant about declaring someone wrong about an MMO.

Technically, you are wrong here since MMO stand for Massive Multiplayer Online etc. You certainly can play solo, but it's not a MSO or Massive Singleplayer Online etc.

And yes, the entire point and design of an MMO is to play with other people at various points of your gaming experience. By playing solo through out your entire game time you can have an awesome time, no doubt. But you pretty much miss at least 2/3rds of the games intended design/content/social intentions/etc.

Skyrim, Fable, Fall Out, and games of that ilk are great examples of intended solo play games designed specifically to played alone without the intention of grouping, socializing, or interacting with other players online.

There is an option under preferences>social that allows you have other party members in your story zones, watch/listen to your conversations, and even help with completing your class missions.

I think social items are not meant to be really great for a reason. They are vanity items in the same respect as a vanity pet. There is no advantage to having a mouse droid other than looking different. I think it is smart not to have game altering things on the social vendor because I dont want people farming groups simply to get a frilly hat. When I group I want to be with people who want to be there for the group not for the grind. Go grind your XP for your gear, get your social points as they come and enjoy the little things they unlock for what they are just little nuggets of interesting you can live with or without.

Technically, you are wrong here since MMO stand for Massive Multiplayer Online etc. You certainly can play solo, but it's not a MSO or Massive Singleplayer Online etc.

Multiplayer doesn't mean you MUST group with other people to enjoy the game and that's all i am going to say about it.

I am curious as to how other players are gaining social points to be able to use the social vendors?

So far it has been like pulling teeth trying to get a group with any guild members.I try general chat of course nut it nearly never works for me especially when I am the only person in the "who" list that has a LFG tag on any planet.

It is really blowing my mind how few people group together it seems when; A) It's an RP server, B)Players get increased XP in a group versus soloing, and C)Only way to get access to social vendor items is via social points gained from grouping.

Truth be told I don't think the game is at the stage of normal players looking for groups yet.

So much of the playerbase at the moment is all about 'I've got a 50 and several alts almost there'. I joined a guild on my second day playing and within a couple of days they were in their 30s whereas I was happily trundling along with a few alts and hadn't passed 16 on any of them.

Many people get really shirty about the options picked during conversations, and I've even had a few people rage-quit over their choice not being chosen - despite the fact it doesn't matter - your choice reflects on your character.

Having said that, grouping is not particularly encouraged in the game. No-one (with any sense) wants missions that can't be completed when solo, but at the same time the game concentrates so much on making YOU the epic-hero of your OWN story that it forgets to give any real reason to bother.

Had to jump in since you were so adamant about declaring someone wrong about an MMO.

And yes, the entire point and design of an MMO is to play with other people at various points of your gaming experience. By playing solo through out your entire game time you can have an awesome time, no doubt. But you pretty much miss at least 2/3rds of the games intended design/content/social intentions/etc.

Skyrim, Fable, Fall Out, and games of that ilk are great examples of intended solo play games designed specifically to played alone without the intention of grouping, socializing, or interacting with other players online.

Obviously there should be lots of content for people who enjoy grouping with others, no question. But people who prefer to play alone should have their place in an MMO, just like "loners" have their place in the real working world (freelancers = soloers, small business = flashpoints, corporation = operation). TOR seems to have enough content to keep soloers like me playing and happy, therefore I will continue subscribing until I've done all the solo content, or it stops being created by Bioware.

Many of us don't want to group - but we love the idea of playing alongside others in a persistent world.

I do HMs almost every day and slowly gather points.

It is a casual thing for me and just an extra to progression rewards.

But there are tricks to boost your SPs if you REALLY want that armor set.

1. Do dailies in groups and wait for other join convos.

2. Help lowbies on their FP runs.

I havent grouped with anyone yet. I'm 48 right now.

I just suck the planet dry of all missions and bonus quests. I come back and do the +2 Heroic's when they are green leveled.

I havent done any +4 heroics yet.

You don't need to group at all, for any reason really.

I prefer playing alone, and doing things my way. When I'm 50, I'll start grouping with guildies and doing stuff. But for the leveling process I prefer to do it alone.