Cross-server Flashpoint finder -- Still very badly needed

AeonWeapon

Really? Maybe you need to socialize more in game and make some friends to quest with.

Here is a suggestion; if you need to meet people to run flashpoints with you, when you see people LFG for BT or some other flashpoint you have already completed, maybe you could help them.

That is how you socialize and meet other players and then your problems will be solved.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dissagree with the OP. I wouldn't mind a flashpoint queueing tool similar to what is currently available for warzones. But, I don't want a cross server experience for warzones or flashpoints.

I am now getting used to seeing some people. Knowing that they try to play well and aside from my guild, I have built a decent list of friends.

It takes me very little time to set up a group, and I often get asked to join from people I have played with before.

So, again, for me there is no reason to have a cross-server pug tool. And, I believe it would diminish my experience (read value) of the game. Also, don't read this as me wanting to deny others such a tool. I would just rather Bioware spend its current resources on other issues.

-Toadbat

Hey Aeon!

Yikes, sorry for all the negativity your getting here and personal attacks, looks like the elitiest are at it again. I actually agree with that a X-LFD is needed on some servers badly right now and I encourage you to join our discission in the LFD thread in the suggestion box thread found through the top of the General forums.

For those who oppose the X-LFD and says it kills communities, I welcome your opinions and justifications. I do warn you though, me and a few others have openly challenged your claims of "It killed WoW", "It kills server cohesion", so you'll need to have something prepared other then a one line quip.

The fact remains that a single server tool does nothing for people who play at difficult hours, sparce populated servers or have picked the wrong faction. But hey, don't expect them to care about it, they'd rather call you a cur and kick you to the curb.

Here is a link for the lazy

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=184796&page=58

Edited by Touchbass

Really? Maybe you need to socialize more in game and make some friends to quest with.

Here is a suggestion; if you need to meet people to run flashpoints with you, when you see people LFG for BT or some other flashpoint you have already completed, maybe you could help them.

That is how you socialize and meet other players and then your problems will be solved.

I try to socialize plenty, people don't socialize in this game. Everyone is just soloing missions. And when they do team people don't even bother getting social points, they just leave the team and turn in missions after they're done.

Hey Aeon!

Yikes, sorry for all the negativity your getting here and personal attacks, looks like the elitiest are at it again. I actually agree with that a X-LFD is needed on some servers badly right now and I encourage you to join our discission in the LFD thread in the suggestion box thread found through the top of the General forums.

For those who oppose the X-LFD and says it kills communities, I welcome your opinions and justifications. I do warn you though, me and a few others have openly challenged your claims of "It killed WoW", "It kills server cohesion", so you'll need to have something prepared other then a one line quip.

The fact remains that a single server tool does nothing for people who play at difficult hours, sparce populated servers or have picked the wrong faction. But hey, don't expect them to care about it, they'd rather call you a cur and kick you to the curb.

Thanks, see you there. Yeah part of the problem I guess is I play late, after I'm done with my day job and my night classes.

Hey Aeon!

I never played wow so i dont have any experience with cross server flashpoints. The reason i am opposed to this is due to a lack of socilazation within the game.

I understand the off hours can be difficult, but these are only 4 man groups. Personally i would like to see SWTOR promote a stronger community base. The same people you meet up with to complete group missions are the same people you should be adding to your friends list and meeting up with again for flashpoints.

I often play during the off hours due to my job schedule and its no where near a barren wasteland.

Edited by kirorx

I've been in the fleet for nearly 2 hours now trying to create a group for Directive 7, slowly am I getting very annoyed. HURRY WITH THE LFD TOOL!!!

Yeah lately I refuse to do that. I log in, ask in general for maybe 5 minutes, and if I can't get a team I log out and do something else. I don't have time for that nonsense, and I'm starting to get really bored.

I never played wow so i dont have any experience with cross server flashpoints. The reason i am opposed to this is due to a lack of socilazation within the game.

I understand the off hours can be difficult, but these are only 4 man groups. Personally i would like to see SWTOR promote a stronger community base. The same people you meet up with to complete group missions are the same people you should be adding to your friends list and meeting up with again for flashpoints.

I often play during the off hours due to my job schedule and its no where near a barren wasteland.

A global LFG channel would do the job just as easily as some 'dungeon finder'. Cross server groups are a cancer on an MMO and I'd ask anyone at Bioware thinking of implementing it to call up Blizzard and ask what their greatest regret is.

Yeah more socialization would be nice, but the true fact of the matter is, people don't socialize much, I have really tried. So many people don't even care about social points and don't bother sharing dialogue sequences.

A global LFG channel would do the job just as easily as some 'dungeon finder'. Cross server groups are a cancer on an MMO and I'd ask anyone at Bioware thinking of implementing it to call up Blizzard and ask what their greatest regret is.

At the very least a global chat channel would be great. But I think global names and cross server chat would be even better, like in City of Heroes.

There's alot of great games out there with good features, not everything revolves around your WoW experiences with little pokemon creatures. If you dealt with immature players in that game, it's mostly probably because it's a game geared towards kids.

Edited by AeonWeapon

WoW is a nonsense game anyway. City of Heroes had a global name used across all servers and you could see friends on other servers, a global friend list, and it benefitted from it. In a game populated by real gamers, these things work. In a game full of pokemon playing kids and immature casual gamers like WoW, maybe it would be harmful.

Quality of life in an MMO is always improved by limiting downtime and allowing you to get more into the fun time easier.

"Quality of life" in an MMO is always a code word for "please remove all the silly things I don't feel like doing".

Intra-server, fine. Cross server, stupid.

Edited by SlickDevlan

The "cross server allows people to act like jerks" is a total fallacy. Complete and utter bunk. It's just a sad sad excuse from WoW haters to keep the feature out of SWTOR.

THE main feature that might save this game by the way.

So go ahead, be crazy stubborn and watch as more and more people that are tired of spending 1/2 hour, hour, hour and a half, +, to see the content they want to see leave.

Leave and go back to a game they thought they were done with. That they were tired of the same as a lot of you. A game they were going to give up for SWTOR, BW had them, but now they're not going to have them because above and beyond everything else the point is to be able to play. With WoW at least you can log in and play.

BW needs to wake up and see that most of the people raging "NO" to a cross server LFD tool aren't here to "play" anything. They don't do FPs and Heroics. They stand around in cantinas scratching each other's backstories, and in a couple of months will have left SWTOR to go destroy some other game's chances at success.

Yeah lately I refuse to do that. I log in, ask in general for maybe 5 minutes, and if I can't get a team I log out and do something else. I don't have time for that nonsense, and I'm starting to get really bored.

This is exactly why cross-server LFD is needed and developers need to stop listening to the senseless hyperbole coming from players who feel it ruined WoW. No "in-server" tool will resolve the issue that players are facing right now (particularly Republic) because there simply isn't a big enough pool within each server to efficiently build groups. Sure there is this theoretical nirvana where everyone has a robust friends list (with friends always online) and a huge mega-guild that never has a shortage of healers just *dying* to run flashpoints. Hate to break it to folks but that doesn't exist for a lot of players in the game and expecting casual folks to seriously build networks when they just want to log in for 30 minutes after work and bang out a flash point is inane in 2012.

I ran a very successful raiding guild in WoW and used LFD all the time. Even with the incredibly hard heroics at the launch of Cataclysm I was able to have pretty solid experiences MOST of the time. Sure there were idiots, sure there were ninjas and sure there were people I had to kick - but net/net the fact I could log-in and get a group going in under 5 minutes FAR outweighed the negatives. Doing the same within my server only would have taken much longer (most of the time) and often would have left me with just a different set of idiots in my group.

Nothing, even the awful UI, will kill TOR faster than people not being able to group quickly. I love this game and I had to log in disgust last night after spending 2 hours in the fleet looking for ONE more person to do level 50 flashpoints (healer needed ... of course.) This is during a Friday night, prime time, heavy pop server. Also I kept seeing the same 4-5 people advertising all night long for the same flash points. Sure, there isn't a problem - keep telling yourselves that.

Bioware really needs to stop listening to the vocal minority and FAST because if they did a real poll of people playing the game (not just forum surfers) I bet over 75% would be pro cross-server tools. Everyone in my guild is for it.

Edited by Zerophin

"Quality of life" in an MMO is always a code word for "please remove all the silly things I don't feel like doing".

Intra-server, fine. Cross server, stupid.

Intra-server LFD is pretty much useless. People don't just suddenly appear from nowhere to join your groups if they implement that. Most people LFG are already in the fleets, the minority that aren't wont make much difference in how fast groups are formed. I've seen MANY intra-server LFG group tools in different MMOs and none of them have actually worked to any noticeable degree.

Nothing drags MMO development down more than people that continue to hold on to past memories (while wearing rose-colored glasses) of how awesome it was sitting in places like Iron Forge spamming /1 LF Healer BRD or camping named mobs in EQ. Sadly these folks tend to be the most vocal while those that want "modern tools" are more apt to silently quit than spend months debating on an MMO forum.

I've seen MANY intra-server LFG group tools in different MMOs and none of them have actually worked to any noticeable degree.

None of them have worked ... period. Eventually it degrades back to general chat. Remember how awful and unused the LF tools Blizzard tried to put in before LFD were?

The core problem isn't the "getting people together" part - it's creating a big enough pool of players that lets you do so quickly. To get that pool you need to extend the reach beyond the server. You know an interim step may be to "cluster" servers into sets of 4-5 for LFD purposes.

It's FREAKING MATH ... nothing else.

Why don't all you people who want LFD get together on the same server and playt together?

That's a brilliant suggestion that totally solves the problem :rolleyes:

Edited by Zerophin

None of them have worked ... period. Eventually it degrades back to general chat. Remember how awful and unused the LF tools Blizzard tried to put in before LFD were?

The core problem isn't the "getting people together" part - it's creating a big enough pool of players that lets you do so quickly. To get that pool you need to extend the reach beyond the server. You know an interim step may be to "cluster" servers into sets of 4-5 for LFD purposes.

It's FREAKING MATH ... nothing else.

Makes complete sense to me. The fact is, a fraction of a server's population is online at the same time.

Edited by AeonWeapon

Hey Aeon!

I didn't see anything "proven" by you. I do see this very large pink elephant in the room called WoW.....and yes, it was the beginning of the end for that game, but not, perhaps, as directly as you believe.

Lets do that mock phone call

Blizzard:"Hello, Blizzard Human Resources Department"

SWTOR Fan: "Yeah, my name is Heliotic, i'm a SWTOR fan"

Blizzard:"Hey, aren't you Undead warrior named Heliotic from the Mal'Ganis Server?"

SWTOR Fan: "Why yes I am, my reputation is well known"

Blizzard:"No, you're that jerk who didn't let me join your group cause my gearscore wasn't amazing"

SWTOR:" Oh .. you mean a different Helitoic then, listen the reason I was calling was to confirm that your biggest regret was the LFD tool"

Blizzard: "You mean the tool that helped stabalize subscriptions and worked so well we made the LFR feature; both of which are backbone reasons why WoW is so successful?"

SWTOR fan:" ummm *click*"

Blizzard: "Hello?"