Hero Engine: why?

Tokeee

They didnt get the engine for free.

Their is a hero engine blog that reveals they got a nice check from EAWare.

The truth is the engine is hardly the hero engine they took a unfinshed product and finished it them selves hero is hardly to blame for this.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The truth is the engine is hardly the hero engine they took a unfinshed product and finished it them selves hero is hardly to blame for this.

I dont blame anyone but the devs and the poor fools who will accept the product for what it is and PAY bioware/ea to bring.it.up to par for what a current gen mmo should be.

I dont blame anyone but the devs and the poor fools who will accept the product for what it is and PAY bioware/ea to bring.it.up to par for what a current gen mmo should be.

Pretty much this. There have been articles that said Hero Engine wasn't ready but when you're presented a check with 7 0's behind it, who the hell are you to say no?

You think they are actually going to improve hero engine to look and play like what current generation mmo's will? HA

I doubt it they are probably just going to fix broken areas, and keep adding content.

We will never see smooth gameplay or high res graphics/smooth shadowing....

You think they are actually going to improve hero engine to look and play like what current generation mmo's will? HA

I doubt it they are probably just going to fix broken areas, and keep adding content.

We will never see smooth gameplay or high res graphics/smooth shadowing....

Well they say they want to add DX10/11 support in future. You know...after DX12 is out

Anyways I was in beta for year and listened to their plans/insistence that the game was going to be better at launch.

I believed them even through ****** beta weekend. I still wasted money on a collectors edition and a 2 month game card. I wont believe anything from now on until that trash is sitting in a patch, and just maybe i will renew my sub then.

They plan to release a lot in 1.2 but sadly so far their info on legacy is trash and I doubt we will be getting our high resolution textures that SHOULD be in this game and that they still advertise them game with...

Im not.going to.pay them for.continued beta extension while they get this game up to par with current gen. Il play with my couple friends up until sub is out then wait for someone to smart up on the dev team

Sorry for misspells, my G.Nexus doesnt like my fingers.

To be fair to BW, they probably had no idea how the processor industry would pan out from 2006 to 2012.

Problem is that they took so long to develop the game that the engine was obsolete even before the game was released.

Didn't the first dual cores get released sometime around 2006? That's a fair excuse for sony and EQ2, but not this game!

Didn't the first dual cores get released sometime around 2006? That's a fair excuse for sony and EQ2, but not this game!

Yes and their plans for dual core were well known before then and the quads were know to be in work too.

I had my dual core in 2006 anyways.

So, just making sure but it is impossible for them to improve the hero engine over time and add better support for multicore processors, 64 bit client, higher rez textures. This is impossible as software can never be improved. Help me understand how they can't fix the issues and that no changes can be made to the engine, ever.

Not to bring up that game but wow's engine has went through several overhauls over its life span. The engine that was at launch and that is live now are completely different and changes made to allow higher rez textures, multi core support and etc.

Please help me understand how it is different with TOR's engine.

So, just making sure but it is impossible for them to improve the hero engine over time and add better support for multicore processors, 64 bit client, higher rez textures. This is impossible as software can never be improved. Help me understand how they can't fix the issues and that no changes can be made to the engine, ever.

Not to bring up that game but wow's engine has went through several overhauls over its life span. The engine that was at launch and that is live now are completely different and changes made to allow higher rez textures, multi core support and etc.

Biowares past performance has been less than stellar which has brought many to the safe conclusion that Bioware won't upgrade squat.

After reading many posts, I just wanted post some of my thoughts. I am not a programmer. I have done some programming way back in high school, which was over 20 years ago now. You know old school programming languages, BASIC, FORTRAN, COBOL, and C. My main thought is, back in the day programmers had limits to deal with. RAM and storage space was very limited by todays standards. So programmers had to be very efficient to make the best game they could. I know games have come a long way and are hundred times more complex. Just wondering if programmers have gotten lazy these days? Are they programming efficiently? It seems people are not a big fan of this Hero Engine. I have seen many threads about it. I am not trying to be a troll, I just had a thought, and figured I would see what people think about programming effiiciency these days.

To be fair to BW, they probably had no idea how the processor industry would pan out from 2006 to 2012.

Problem is that they took so long to develop the game that the engine was obsolete even before the game was released.

How in the world do you explain AOC it went into devolpment in 2002 and yet they coded DX10 support and SLI support . I think it was just poor design concepts from the get go.

If you had to replace all of the plumbing and electrical in the Empire State Building, you could do it...

But do you have any idea of the time that would take, the cost involved and inconvenience to its occupants?

Edited by Lethality

Its not.

Its totally upgradable.

The Heroengine is looking to do multi-treading in the near future. When SWTOR was in development the HeroEngine was not fully complete, Bioware threw a bunch of devs at it, to finish their engine...

Basically, they started development with an unfinished engine, and are now working/improving it as we speak.

the fact that they tweak things here are there.. shows they can upgrade the engine, but you have to realize it is not an over night thing.

Go to the HeroEngine's website they it will take you 15-18 months to build an MMO. I'm going guess.. 3-6 to significantly change the coding...

Haterz gonna Hate.

Don't Believe me?

Google Hero Engine/Swtor.

No just looking for a real answer, not some canned troll response.

A canned troll response would have been they won't, I told you that based upon their performance reguarding Bugs/Exploiters/Hackers/other issues they aren't going to do jack with their engine, I don't see this as trolling I see this as a logical conclusion.

A canned troll response would have been they won't, I told you that based upon their performance reguarding Bugs/Exploiters/Hackers/other issues they aren't going to do jack with their engine, I don't see this as trolling I see this as a logical conclusion.

They have fixed bugs, banned exploiters/hackers, and addressed other issues as well.

Seems they've done quit a bit thus far, and new features coming.

Your post is kind of sad.

If you had to replace every all the plumbing and electrical in the Empire State Building, you could do it... do you have any idea of the time, cost and inconvenience of such a task?

Sure but if done in steps, each floor at a time, it could be done and improved on while the building was still in operation, spreading the time of the project over several months. If having to replace it all is the only way to fix it. You don't have to remove all the plumbing to repair a leak on the fifth floor.

Again I am having a tough time understanding why TOR's engine is so different that we are stuck with the engine, with out improvements, till end of life for the game.

Its not.

Its totally upgradable.

The Heroengine is looking to do multi-treading in the near future. When SWTOR was in development the HeroEngine was not fully complete, Bioware threw a bunch of devs at it, to finish their engine...

Basically, they started development with an unfinished engine, and are now working/improving it as we speak.

the fact that they tweak things here are there.. shows they can upgrade the engine, but you have to realize it is not an over night thing.

Go to the HeroEngine's website they it will take you 15-18 months to build an MMO. I'm going guess.. 3-6 to significantly change the coding...

Haterz gonna Hate.

Don't Believe me?

Google Hero Engine/Swtor.

Thats your opinion you have no idea if they are upgrading or if they are able to upgrade it to todays standards.

Tweaking things here and there? No m8 those are bug fixs to things that broke.