There's a valid reason why people are upset...

Esaru

I hope you all realize the reason for letting people in in waves like this is because each tiny zone of the game can only handle 2 or 3 players or it becomes impossible to complete a quest without having to wait for respawns, etc. BW would rather have poeple wait and be angry a little longer than have anyone report on what a horrible experience it is to play in a crowded zone.

How is this going to be any different on release though?

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And yet you still have not found a flaw in the original posters logic.

The flaw is the one the OP spotted. It is an OPINION.

As Bioware/EA are taking all the risk and will suffer all the consequences of the launch anybody else's opinion is irrelevant.

Risk is a very difficult thing to judge. Don't take a risk and everybody says you would have got away with it. Take it and bomb and everybody says, "Why did you risk it?"

Can't win either way.

Edited by SwiftyA

ok first of all most of you are WRONG. This game doesnt have standard zones like your use to. They have Phases. So each zone only allows so many people in then it creates a new one to hold more so on and so forth. So this whole blah blah newbie quest wait is just garbage cause that wouldnt happen. Also people like to race to max level alot of people enjoy that and bioware just ruined that experience for alot of people.

I hope you all realize the reason for letting people in in waves like this is because each tiny zone of the game can only handle 2 or 3 players or it becomes impossible to complete a quest without having to wait for respawns, etc. BW would rather have poeple wait and be angry a little longer than have anyone report on what a horrible experience it is to play in a crowded zone.

That's what instances are for. The Early Access is meant to save the servers, not the quest mobs.

And yet you still have not found a flaw in the original posters logic.

There is no logic to this thread. The OP is trying to second guess BioWare. I think BioWare and EA know their servers better than some random dude on the interwebs. Secondly, there maybe some specific reason they are playing it the way they are. Why the fk do you think you are entitled to know the specific details? So you can second-guess them more accurately?

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

No see, that's just it:

There's no valid reason for anyone to be complaining. None. You're all just kids with entitlement complexes.

You're getting exactly what you were promised and what you agreed to in advance. Now you're moving the goalposts after the agreement.

You're a kid.

yes were all kids and your the adult. How can we move the goal post when we havn't been told what yard we are on?

Back a while ago, there was dev discussion (don't have link) that one of their big concerns was overcrowding starting areas. They wanted to spread out levels so everyone wasn't camping the same mobs/bosses. I can remember when Rift started and how bad it was to find mobs to quest kill to level at first. It was a complete zoo. Dozens of people crowding quest givers. People fighting over mobs.

I can see their point. I do agree that they could have set up a schedule and sent emails out to everyone on Monday telling them their start date. For a disclaimer, they could state that it's subject to change though. At least people could have planned their sick days.

Yeah I was there for the Rift launch and it was just terrible. There were literally hundreds and hundreds of people just in the starting area, lol. It really was a zoo.

I'm not necessarily knocking the staggered access, I think it's more of their communication with the playerbase and the details of how they were going to go about this. Stopping invites at 2pm and then seeing that all the servers are light and standard, with no Bioware response, rubs people the wrong way.

They never said exactly how they were going to roll thing out, so getting all butt hurt and emo is kinda silly.

And you, as joe average not involved, have no idea what's going on with BioWare's network, hardware, servers, load, etc. You can speculate all ya like but you know nothing.

It's very unlikely that BW is randomly or intentionally making your life miserable just to get their rocks off, like some gank happy psuedo PvPer.

Well they ended up having to merge the servers later. I think this is partially the reason they've done this, however I can't see how it's going to change anything in the grand scheme of things. All it's accomplishing right now is upsetting customers.

To add to this. SR also stated that they dont want to roll servers out as one gets to heavy due to that just leading to them merging when population starts to drop later down the line. So it makes sense to me with what they are doing.

And before anyone trolls my post. I preorderd november 28th. Im not getting into the game for awhile if at all. And to be honest I had no plan of preordering this game until I got into a beta and enjoyed it greatly.

Bioware really has me pissed at them. I mean I could have gotten this game on the 20th, but pre-ordered in hope of getting in early, but no.... they decide who they want to get in first.

BIOWARE, This whole time you guys were doing FALSE advertisement..... 5 days early my ***!

Here's something Stephen Reid posted that may shed light on the Early access issue:

StephenReid

Today , 04:44 PM

Hey everyone.

We absolutely understand you want to get in and play the game early. It's one of the reasons we expanded our Early Game Access from a maximum of five days to a maximum of seven days. However, there are a couple of important points to realize about today's opening salvo of invites, and the procedure in general for Early Game Access and launch.

First, Early Game Access and launch is not supposed to be a stress test. In our previous Beta Testing Weekends we got up to very large concurrent number of players and brought invites into the game at a very high rate. That was done to stress test every aspect of our systems and servers, and essentially to see if they broke. In some cases, they did, but that helped us improve for launch.

For us, launch isn't just about stuffing our servers with as many people as possible. As anyone who's been through a large MMO launch can tell you, that experience can be painful. Our aim with this launch was to ramp things up gradually, to spread our player population out amongst a variety of servers, to maintain all server types, and to keep queuing to a minimum (although we expect that to happen as we head towards December 20th). So far, all that has been successful for us on Day One.

The second thing to realize is scale. We invited more people to play Star Wars: The Old Republic today than many other MMO launches manage in their entire head-start process. As I mentioned earlier today, when we opened pre-orders we had a huge spike in numbers - far more than most MMOs capture at launch. That was the initial rush. After that, our pre-orders settled down.

What this means is that tomorrow, you'll effectively start to see the pre-order timeline expand. You'll see people who have pre-ordered later than July getting invites. The day after that, more people will be invited. We're actually planning to invite more tomorrow than today, and invite the same number again on Thursday - at which point we'll be into the original 'five days of Early Game Access'.

Last thing. Why aren't we continuing to send waves over time? Two main reasons - one, because we need to see that the servers are maintaining stability over time; adding a lot of players in a short period (in other words, stress testing) can cause stability issues.

Two, our plan is to continue to add servers - but carefully, and in response to demand. We need to monitor that demand and roll out servers accordingly. A long-term recipe for MMO failure is to add a lot of servers early on, and then when population decreases, have to close those servers and merge them together.

Our aim is for Star Wars: The Old Republic to be around for a long time to come. Today's just the first step in that - an early step, too - and we'll be running smoothly, with a stable population, before too long.

Stephen Reid | Senior Online Community Manager

Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook

[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.] [Dev Tracker]

It's not just about server capacity. It's also about level distribution. That's why they left a lot of room on each server. This way, people don't crowd a single zone.

This game has a railroaded progression. Unlike WoW, there are no alternate levelling zones per level band in TOR. We all go to Coruscant when we finish our origin worlds, then to Taris, then to Nar Shadaa, so on. If they let all the servers get to HEAVY or even FULL on the first day, each zone will be constantly congested until the difference in playing time naturally sifts the population. That takes more than a few days.

IMO, this is the first launch scheme that makes sense.

This is true. I still think they're not letting enough people in though. Have you seen any streams? There's literally no one around

Edited by Esaru

Come on. They stopped after six hours. They just left at 2pm and told everyone "Sorry, maybe tomorrow!" That is no way to run a business.

Oh yea did you see em take off? Or maybe they were doing things like gathering feedback and seeing how many more they can let in tomorrow morning and compiling email lists?

They aren't letting you know an exact entry time because they don't know exactly how many they will be letting in afaik. If servers run well they want to let in more, like today's bonus wave. It's going to be funny when they just say **** it and further split out the entries just so they can email all the nerd ragers with an exact time. You'd think it would be kind of simple to make a rough guess based on the time you enter your code. Butnaaaaah.

Edited by potroast

Yeah I was there for the Rift launch and it was just terrible. There were literally hundreds and hundreds of people just in the starting area, lol. It really was a zoo.

I'm not necessarily knocking the staggered access, I think it's more of their communication with the playerbase and the details of how they were going to go about this. Stopping invites at 2pm and then seeing that all the servers are light and standard, with no Bioware response, rubs people the wrong way.

They are playing with the server limits to make sure that waves of new players are evenly distributed across servers.

At times just before a new wave, almost every server was Full.

No see, that's just it:

There's no valid reason for anyone to be complaining. None. You're all just kids with entitlement complexes.

You're getting exactly what you were promised and what you agreed to in advance. Now you're moving the goalposts after the agreement.

You're a kid.

Ok, Dad. You are so superior.

Bioware really has me pissed at them. I mean I could have gotten this game on the 20th, but pre-ordered in hope of getting in early, but no.... they decide who they want to get in first.

BIOWARE, This whole time you guys were doing FALSE advertisement..... 5 days early my ***!

Actually they said "UP TO" 5 days early. Just saying :)

yes were all kids and your the adult. How can we move the goal post when we havn't been told what yard we are on?

Like this:

You agreed when you pre-ordered that this meant you'd get to play between now and the 19th.

No one promised you exactly when, just between now and the 19th.

NOW you want MORE data you're simply not entitled to. But you make it sound like someone's wronging you for providing exactly what was agreed upon in advance.

Moving the goalposts.

Edited by JustTed

I think it's just some first day blues. I wouldn't be surprised if they invited one and a half times the amount of people they invited today tomorrow. Unless it was an odd number, which we'd then have to round up.

Actually they HAVE to because if they didnt Late Nov and Dec people wouldnt get in

It's not because of staggered access. We all knew it was going to be like this. We just didn't know how. And now that we're seeing how it's playing out, it's not surprising people are angry.

Bioware finished their fifth wave of invites at 2pm today. Not only is this obscenely early, but none of the servers are even close to being near any sort of 'stress test' point. 95% of them are light and standard.

THIS is why people are mad. Again, not because it's staggered access - um hello, we knew that already. It's because Bioware simply did not do enough to bring in as many people as they could. Instead they've pussyfooted around and are playing it WAY too safe in my opinion. The servers right now are practically DEAD because there's not enough people there. This potentially bodes that the whole head-start process is going to be extremely slow-going, with the possibility of not even having everyone in by release. I'm honestly not surprised this doesn't rub people the right way. There's no reason it should

That's the point I've been trying to make since they said the 5th wave was the last. The "white knights" just skim over the well-thought out posts that actually contain logic and label them as QQ.

+2 to you sir