There's a valid reason why people are upset...

Esaru

none of what you said is valid, they could of let just one person in today.

your not entitled to a thing you whiny, stuck up snobs.

wait in line with everyone else your needs will get attended too.

you whining qq's are the same people that think its ok to mace people in a walmart inorder to get the last game or toy for your self.

lol

5chars

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's something Stephen Reid posted once again that may shed light on the Early access issue:

StephenReid

Today , 04:44 PM

Hey everyone.

We absolutely understand you want to get in and play the game early. It's one of the reasons we expanded our Early Game Access from a maximum of five days to a maximum of seven days. However, there are a couple of important points to realize about today's opening salvo of invites, and the procedure in general for Early Game Access and launch.

First, Early Game Access and launch is not supposed to be a stress test. In our previous Beta Testing Weekends we got up to very large concurrent number of players and brought invites into the game at a very high rate. That was done to stress test every aspect of our systems and servers, and essentially to see if they broke. In some cases, they did, but that helped us improve for launch.

For us, launch isn't just about stuffing our servers with as many people as possible. As anyone who's been through a large MMO launch can tell you, that experience can be painful. Our aim with this launch was to ramp things up gradually, to spread our player population out amongst a variety of servers, to maintain all server types, and to keep queuing to a minimum (although we expect that to happen as we head towards December 20th). So far, all that has been successful for us on Day One.

The second thing to realize is scale. We invited more people to play Star Wars: The Old Republic today than many other MMO launches manage in their entire head-start process. As I mentioned earlier today, when we opened pre-orders we had a huge spike in numbers - far more than most MMOs capture at launch. That was the initial rush. After that, our pre-orders settled down.

What this means is that tomorrow, you'll effectively start to see the pre-order timeline expand. You'll see people who have pre-ordered later than July getting invites. The day after that, more people will be invited. We're actually planning to invite more tomorrow than today, and invite the same number again on Thursday - at which point we'll be into the original 'five days of Early Game Access'.

Last thing. Why aren't we continuing to send waves over time? Two main reasons - one, because we need to see that the servers are maintaining stability over time; adding a lot of players in a short period (in other words, stress testing) can cause stability issues.

Two, our plan is to continue to add servers - but carefully, and in response to demand. We need to monitor that demand and roll out servers accordingly. A long-term recipe for MMO failure is to add a lot of servers early on, and then when population decreases, have to close those servers and merge them together.

Our aim is for Star Wars: The Old Republic to be around for a long time to come. Today's just the first step in that - an early step, too - and we'll be running smoothly, with a stable population, before too long.

Stephen Reid | Senior Online Community Manager

Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook

[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.] [Dev Tracker]

Edited by darknesslives

That's the point I've been trying to make since they said the 5th wave was the last. The "white knights" just skim over the well-thought out posts that actually contain logic and label them as QQ.

Logic goes like this, son:

This is what you agreed to in advance.

Now you want to change the agreement because you're unhappy, impatient, and immature.

That's the issue there. There is no other.

It's not because of staggered access. We all knew it was going to be like this. We just didn't know how. And now that we're seeing how it's playing out, it's not surprising people are angry.

Bioware finished their fifth wave of invites at 2pm today. Not only is this obscenely early, but none of the servers are even close to being near any sort of 'stress test' point. 95% of them are light and standard.

THIS is why people are mad. Again, not because it's staggered access - um hello, we knew that already. It's because Bioware simply did not do enough to bring in as many people as they could. Instead they've pussyfooted around and are playing it WAY too safe in my opinion. The servers right now are practically DEAD because there's not enough people there. This potentially bodes that the whole head-start process is going to be extremely slow-going, with the possibility of not even having everyone in by release. I'm honestly not surprised this doesn't rub people the right way. There's no reason it should

Yes, that's EXACTLY the point, we're not pissed because they didn't let all of us in at the very first day at the very first moment, but because at this rate emails will be sent very, very, VERY, VERY slowly. I thought on the first day at least whole July was cleared and half of August too. Loads of people who pre-ordered in July are still waiting instead... Sigh.

It's really easy to get all upset because we don't get what we want when we want. It's also very easy to point out how the person/people not giving us what are dead wrong and messing up. What's not so easy is stopping long enough to think that we don't always have all the details and can't possibly put ourselves in the shoes of the guys we're so mad at.

Most servers are not light, they're standard. Standard is called that for a reason and I would hope standard also means optimal. Too light, boring waste land...too heavy, annoying cluster. The server load indicates the entire server population which for the first and only time is level 1 - 10...all on the starter worlds. Aside from not wanting people to have problems questing due to a finite number of mobs and quest objectives, we have to consider that the hardware being used and game requirements are optimized for normal play load and dispersant.

Maybe they're playing it safe. The decision makers have the fate of the game as well as an obscene amount of money for two very large and successful companies riding on them. That means these guys careers could be jeopardized if they go a little too cowboy and try to please the fans at the expense of practicality. Anyone who's a decision maker in their career knows that when making decisions for high stakes situations at work, balance is key.

"How many people am I going to rile up if I go this way or that? What's the worst case scenario?"

In this case, worst case scenario is letting in everyone who thinks they deserve to be in or who think they know better then the professionals getting paid to do their job and then crashing servers/creating an unplayable experience for the masses.

Finally, lets all try to remember this is 2 days early then even what we were told early access would be (pretty stand up thing to do if you ask me) not to mention, every single one of us who pre-ordered and read the product description of what we were ordering were in no uncertain terms told that we would get UP TO 5 days.

Good points

It's not because of staggered access. We all knew it was going to be like this. We just didn't know how. And now that we're seeing how it's playing out, it's not surprising people are angry.

Bioware finished their fifth wave of invites at 2pm today. Not only is this obscenely early, but none of the servers are even close to being near any sort of 'stress test' point. 95% of them are light and standard.

THIS is why people are mad. Again, not because it's staggered access - um hello, we knew that already. It's because Bioware simply did not do enough to bring in as many people as they could. Instead they've pussyfooted around and are playing it WAY too safe in my opinion. The servers right now are practically DEAD because there's not enough people there. This potentially bodes that the whole head-start process is going to be extremely slow-going, with the possibility of not even having everyone in by release. I'm honestly not surprised this doesn't rub people the right way. There's no reason it should

EXACTLY the way i feel, of course i knew it was staggered DERP!!.. But ending the invites at 2pm today?!?!? really?!?!?!...

I just don't get it come on, atleast do invites till 4-5pm or so... I just.. sigh, just good post OP..

I'm just getting irritated at the possibility that people will be level 50 and have enough money to control the markets before I even get in the game.

Talk about 1% of the population controlling 99% of the money...

I do agree with that. I do hope that fresh servers come out each day for each group of new adds to join. Many people like to join MMOs at the start because they want to be part of the forming of the community. If you miss a few days you could miss out on that.

I cannot believe this community of a bunch of whiney *** people, this is what is wrong with society today is that you all are entitled pain in the butts. They can't fill each server to capacity and then move on because not everyone preordered on the same day . If your friend was smart and preordered the first day and you didn't, if the servers filled you wouldn't be able to play with them, then you would be legitimately pissed. They are not nor should not be required to tell you when you are getting in ...THESE ARE BONUS DAYS not even part of the up to 5 days early. No one has the right to ***** today unless you preordered the first day since that was the largest day of presale.

None will corner the market by getting in a few days early, the drops just aren't that frequent or valuable, the only real advantage they have today is limited fight over slicing and gathering nodes, and like I said you have no room to ***** about it unless you preordered day ONE. Baically its embarrassing to read all these whining posts when Bioware has devised the best method to launch a game, as the people who got in today have actually been able to play which cannot be said of most MMOs in the past whether due to long ques or heavy lag issues. I would much rather have it spaced than having 10 people fight me for each mob spawn so that I can complete a level 2 quest. Grow up people and enjoy the game and save your entitlement bull sh*t for Occupy rallies.

I understand but let me put it like this. When you say youre going to give someone something extra just to be nice, DONT HALF *** IT. They are a company that should establish a line communication to its fan base. If they had kept us in a general loop about what they were planning to do, instead of making easy way outs by using the words 'maybe' and 'possibly' some people wouldnt be so mad. Get it together

Yeah, but I don't think they estimated it properly. Hopefully tomorrow will be better and they allow a LOT more people in this time around.

They said that they will add more tomorrow and the same amount Thur. as tomorrow, which means it will be a ton. My speculation is that most if not all will be on by thur. the last by fri.

Wasn't the point of staggered roll out to prevent login queues and congestion? I've seen two kinds of posts in these forums in regards to this current state:

1> People who heard from a friend/guild that the servers are "dead."

2> People who actually got in today, played for several hours and made a direct post here saying the game is going smooth, no login queues and the zones are active, but not over crowded...100-200 people per shard.

Now both those sources could be considered unreliable to some degree or another, but I'm going to go with the people who got in today, played and posted here. And based on that, it sounds like Bioware is getting the exact result of the staggered access.

I can't imagine needing to kill 9 droids with 100 people standing there firing away doing the same thing. As it was, there was often someone shooting the same target I was but we seemed to get credit.

You realize all of the zones are instanced right? If you pull up your map in the bottom right it shows you which instance you are in (such as Coruscant 12), when a zone gets heavily populated they just create a new instance a put people who load in into that.

saying up to 5 days early is false advertising when ordering in dec if they don't get everyone in 2 days otherwise you're promising something potentially unattainable.

Just keep the waves going and I think most of us would quit QQing

Wasn't the point of staggered roll out to prevent login queues and congestion? I've seen two kinds of posts in these forums in regards to this current state:

1> People who heard from a friend/guild that the servers are "dead."

2> People who actually got in today, played for several hours and made a direct post here saying the game is going smooth, no login queues and the zones are active, but not over crowded...100-200 people per shard.

Now both those sources could be considered unreliable to some degree or another, but I'm going to go with the people who got in today, played and posted here. And based on that, it sounds like Bioware is getting the exact result of the staggered access.

Both of those scenarios are absolutely compatible. 100 people in an instance seems pretty dead to me.

This is hilarious, people are upset because they can't play a game that launches on 12/20 today on 12/13??? Seriously people grow up, no one told you that you would be playing today! The only thing you knew is that "you may have up to 5 days of early access". If you took off work, didnt walk the dog, called off a date etc etc etc THAT WAS YOUR CHOICE! The only thing you were told as that when you get your game you can play it!

Logic goes like this, son:

This is what you agreed to in advance.

Now you want to change the agreement because you're unhappy, impatient, and immature.

That's the issue there. There is no other.

Lol son, son, boi, kid, son what boy, kid huh.

Look I can do it too, doesn't make me right or mature. Your the kid for resorting to such lame excuses for argument, adults have clear coherent thought processes, your posts are barely legible ramblings.

Anyway, the problem AGAIN is not the time frame, its the fact that no communication and everyone that could do anything just seem to disappear when situations like today happen.

How hard was it for you to post your childish retort? It would take BW maybe an hour to formulate a rough access schedule, even a live one that they can change on the fly, but why do that, why appease people when you can just ignore them and feel bigger than them.

THAT IS THE ENTITLEMENT ISSUE, SON.

Learn how adults speak first off, and learn how to formulate a sentence for second. Then come back and read the posts you think you so wittingly argued against, because your wrong, very wrong.