PvP improvements (Broadsword survey)

SoyElSenado

A few weeks back there was a good dialogue going in here about how to improve PvP. I was going to make an eloquent and well thought out post about it, but the lack of any mention of PvP in the livestream sapped my motivation to bother. 

The survey from broadsword that went out today (check your emails) sort of reinvigorated me a bit. I haven’t completed mine yet but I encourage you guys to also share your thoughts in it if you received it. Talk about the removal of ranked and how it’s impacted you and your friends. Suggest compromise improvements, etc. For people who care less about ranked, talk about the premade problems and how that’s destroying PvP for casual players.  

I’ll edit this or reply with what I actually write on the survey but I plan to focus on what I think are two simple compromise changes they can very easily make that will boost participation metrics and make everybody of all skill levels happier with PvP:

Disallow full group premades 

Unhide the already existing ranking system and give simple end of PvP season rewards based on very broad percentiles 

Sure this won’t make everyone 100% happy, particularly those on either extreme. The hardcore folks who want only the old ranked back and the people whose mission it is to go around the forum reveling in the fact that ranked is gone will still be unsatisfied. But it’ll fundamentally improve the game and PvP for the vast majority of players, which is what the 7.2 changes were supposed to do and we all know they unequivocally have not. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Samcuu said:

Disappointed I didn't receive a survey email. Glad to see they've taken the time to draft a survey. Clearly they wouldn't waste time if they weren't looking to improve the game.  

My only concern is them sending it to people who hate PvP or never play it & then listening to them instead of the community of pvpers who love playing PvP & just want it to be better & fun to play. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TrixxieTriss said:

My only concern is them sending it to people who hate PvP or never play it & then listening to them instead of the community of pvpers who love playing PvP & just want it to be better & fun to play. 

It's not strictly a pvp survey from what I've read. Maybe the op can elaborate on the questions they are asking in the survey. 

3 hours ago, TrixxieTriss said:

pvp population is small. even (apparently) among those who play it...let alone like it. for whatever that's worth.

14 minutes ago, Samcuu said:

Vaguely, care to elaborate?

class representatives were elected to gather questions for the devs. the answers were vague, evasive, or unwelcome by most of the reps. the system fell apart immediately. the PT/VG rep went on a forum rage spree that got him banned. I'm not certain, but this may have been during the smash/stun bubble/ AP and Pyro rejig that had pretty much the entire player base upset for one reason or another. but as a means of dev communication/interaction, the attempt crashed and burned about as explosively as was possible. 😄

• Dev Post

Hi all, wanted to clarify that the survey is being randomly sent out to players who have had active accounts over an unspecified amount of time. And they are being sent throughout the week. Appreciate everyone who fills it out and offers constructive feedback!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 1

i got it and only filled out the space barbie ranking of cm items cause honestly that's the most important part of what I play, but some questions were about favorite/least favorite story part, favorite subscriber features etc, quite wide variety of stuff, not only pvp, and I think it went out to pref/f2p as there were some questions regarding that

5 hours ago, TrixxieTriss said:

Imagine you have a clothes store and your goal is to bring back customers which were unsatisfied with your product and didnt visit your store again. Are you going to ask the only two happy customers who were regularly visiting your dead store for the last 4 years what went wrong and why everybody else left?

The people who hated and quit SWTOR pvp is where you need to dig very deep. People leave beacuse theyre unsatisfied, not because they somehow categorically hate the game, they wouldnt have installed it then in the first place. They shouldve done this years ago instead of rolling with a very strange positivity propaganda, nice to see that they atleast put in some effort with a survey now.

Edited by hemeen

15 hours ago, SoyElSenado said:

Disallow full group premades 

I didn't get the survey so I will indebted to all those who put no pre-mades in casual PvP as a survey response. The maximum group queue size should be 3 players for casual PvP matches.  The game devs really need to have a full pre-mades only option, then the rest of us can have a chance at a win or, at the very least, a much better chance to get 8 medals.  

Can some people also put the ability for the game to identify those not contributing for 60 seconds, kick them from the match and apply a 1-hour debuff across their account?  The number of people I've seen hiding both stealthed & unstealthed in some obscure place in all the Huttballs (and I DO NOT mean those tactically placed on the scoring end) is a joke - they don't even deny it when it's mentioned in chat.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Sarova said:

The maximum group queue size should be 3 players for casual PvP matches.

I'd disagree. Just needs to be reverted back to 4 I'd like to be able to make a full trinity comp. 

17 minutes ago, Sarova said:

Can some people also put the ability for the game to identify those not contributing for 60 seconds, kick them from the match and apply a 1-hour debuff across their account?

I like the idea but it can't be implemented this way at least for warzones because you have ppl guarding nodes who might not do anything all match, or very little besides keeping their eye on a captured node. This would work great for Arenas but would also hurt ppl who DC for example and then log back into a 1 hour deserter debuff. The afk trolls for sure need to be dealt with somehow tho. 

• Like 2

I actually got the feedback survey lmao, 

My Main Critiques were undo pruning and add abilities back, Refine the Combat style trees, and make Endgame something worth doing besides grinding tech frags. 

I touched up on PVP and mainly stated the lack of incentive for Higher tiered Skilled PVP'ers, Class Imbalancing, and Premades just being too much at 8 and limiting it down to 4. I could of honestly written a whole schtick about the state of PVP, but I wanted to keep the survey feedback moreso in regards to SWTOR as a whole than just PVP as a mode. Honestly if they just add abilites back, Color me impressed and I will slowly start to trust the Dev's again for listening to player feedback.

Edited by SentinalMasterWW
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, SentinalMasterWW said:

I actually got the feedback survey lmao, 

My Main Critiques were undo pruning and add abilities back, Refine the Combat style trees, and make Endgame something worth doing besides grinding tech frags. 

I touched up on PVP and mainly stated the lack of incentive for Higher tiered Skilled PVP'ers, Class Imbalancing, and Premades just being too much at 8 and limiting it down to 4. I could of honestly written a whole schtick about the state of PVP, but I wanted to keep the survey feedback moreso in regards to SWTOR as a whole than just PVP as a mode. Honestly if they just add abilites back, Color me impressed and I will slowly start to trust the Dev's again for listening to player feedback.

I didn't get the survey, but now that you mention undoing the ability pruning I would say that would be my number one on the list too. Some classes got butchered while others got to keep most of their stuff so it wasn't very balanced or fair. After 7.0 someone else said somewhere else that they pruned the fun out of the gameplay and that's exactly how I feel about it.  

I would also like to see all operation weeklies in the mission terminal again, and without the limitation that all bosses need to be killed on same character or it doesn't count: you can't bring jugg tank to all fights anymore, not without all their abilities. There is no reason to deny part of the playerbase their weeklies, when gsf and pvp players got to keep theirs.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, krackcommando said:

as someone pointed out to me in fleet when I asked about this, search them in collection. make sure you don't have "owned" checked. 😎

The boxes being referred to here are the sets/weapons/crystals that are not added to collections. (They should be added to collections)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, TrixxieTriss said:

Agreed.

As per JKO's above post, It's obvious "constructive feedback" will be just as selective as who actually gets to participate.

• Thanks 1