Troll Thrower -Arena

darksidenerd

Star Forge server we have a serial troll thrower who joins Arenas to just stay stealthed in the corner until the time runs out then dies once enemy finds him. This player does it for both rounds without fail.
This player has been reported by many..MANY folks including myself.
I went as far as to request the code of conduct and found a section under, "Trolling" that you'd think would apply this this?? This players actions DEFINATLY, " lead to overly strong, negative and emotional responses for the mere shock value".   You say yourself, " Accounts created with the sole intent to "troll" will be immediately and permanently suspended."  Soooooooooooo 

Hey Devs - now I'm in forums keeping this player's name out of my post, but you all know who it is. Do your job. People have been banned for less. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

it's a shame you cannot just LEAVE arenas when you see this guy in them, but then you get penalized with a lockout.

if you're going to run maintenance mode game (and no offense intended here; I mean that you don't have the resources to hunt down every bad actor like in the rated days), then you need to structure your immutable rules to account for the bad actors that you don't have the resources or will power to enforce. example: deserter debuff. yeah. it keeps players from leaving early. it also forces players to sit through games like this. and news flash: there are rarely more than two arena matches at a given time, which means half the population runs into this guy EVERY MATCH. so if you're going maintenance mode, the least you could do is to allow players to leave matches...at least before the first gate drop? and also allow players to see whether they are accepting a back fill or fresh match (wow does this for dungeon runs - I usually take in-progress dungeons fwiw, but it's nice to know ahead of time).

• Like 2

@EricMusco

@JackieKo

Maybe make a post stating that you take PvP seriously and quickly act on any code of conduct rules being broken.

Give us some basic communication about major issues like this. All it takes is writing up a quick and generic official bioware post "we take all reports seriously and will investigate shortly".

I notice you quickly acted on the other thread, so obviously some degree of moderation exists. Why not task those moderators with taking care of this problem? Given they understand the obscure rule about "naming players on the forum", surely the moderators can handle the blatant code of conduct violations exhibited by this player.

Edited by RACATW
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, krackcommando said:

it's a shame you cannot just LEAVE arenas when you see this guy in them, but then you get penalized with a lockout.

if you're going to run maintenance mode game (and no offense intended here; I mean that you don't have the resources to hunt down every bad actor like in the rated days), then you need to structure your immutable rules to account for the bad actors that you don't have the resources or will power to enforce. example: deserter debuff. yeah. it keeps players from leaving early. it also forces players to sit through games like this. and news flash: there are rarely more than two arena matches at a given time, which means half the population runs into this guy EVERY MATCH. so if you're going maintenance mode, the least you could do is to allow players to leave matches...at least before the first gate drop? and also allow players to see whether they are accepting a back fill or fresh match (wow does this for dungeon runs - I usually take in-progress dungeons fwiw, but it's nice to know ahead of time).

There was a dood in ranked days doing the same exact thing for years and wasn't banned for a very long time. So I wouldn't necessarily say things have changed much. 

23 minutes ago, Samcuu said:

There was a dood in ranked days doing the same exact thing for years and wasn't banned for a very long time. So I wouldn't necessarily say things have changed much. 

yeah. i meant that these are defacto reg arenas and don't NEED high maitenance the way rated did (and didn't receive it). but then you have to make the "rules" governing it more elastic than rated (where desertion penalties were neccesary).

• Thanks 1

This guy is an extreme example but we all see stuff like this multiple times a week. I’ve even gotten stuck with 3 clowns queuing up as a group and intentionally throwing, like 5 times on one Saturday a few weeks ago with those guys.

Until they put in some incentive to win and some consequence to losing (outside of the stupid quest completion rate), this will only get worse and continue to hurt pvp for players of all skill levels. They have a hidden rating system, just show it. 

Edited by SoyElSenado

This feels like every other arena to me. It's been bad before but it's never been this bad. A new dev post outlining steps that are being taken/will be taken from now on would be great to see post-Broadsword transition.

On the technical/gameplay side of things, it would be cool to see a Temporary Ability Bar CD added specifically when you're dead in arenas that will unstealth the last player on your team. Might be wonky to implement but it feels so commonplace to wait out a round giving the other team advice in Say chat on how to find your troll teammate. Ugh.

• Dev Post

Hi there,

Thanks for the reports. They were forwarded onto the appropriate teams.

As a reminder, I do ask that reports of this nature be submitted using the in-game tools so the right teams get eyes on the reports and the relevant info can be pulled and investigated.
I also want to clear up a misconception about the moderators here. The forum moderators are not part of the Terms of Service team, they manage the forums only.  Naming and shaming and calling out other players is not permitted on the forums, so please report players using the in-game tools or if needed, send me a PM.

Thanks!

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JackieKo said:

I also want to clear up a misconception about the moderators here. The forum moderators are not part of the Terms of Service team, they manage the forums only.  Naming and shaming and calling out other players is not permitted on the forums, so please report players using the in-game tools or if needed, send me a PM.

with all due respect, JackieKo, I have used the in-game system to report this person numerous times and in each report I included video evidence. I acknowledged that I would not be informed of any action taken on the person, but with each ticket I also asked very simply if it is beneficial to record and submit videos to them or am I wasting my time? and do you know what their response was? THEY DIDN'T ANSWER THAT MOST SIMPLE, BASIC, AND INNOCUOUS QUESTION. "Is it worth uploading these videos or am I wasting my time?" really JackieKo. How the heck is going through in-game reporting worth a darn when they won't even give that much as feedback?

• Like 2

that's so funny.

you have that on every server and the same people get reported on and on,
via in-game tools, via email with screenshots, with combat logs, with yt-videos.

the private videos even don't get a single view, so nobody looked at it.

sorry, but please don't fool us.

5 hours ago, JackieKo said:

As a reminder, I do ask that reports of this nature be submitted using the in-game tools so the right teams get eyes on the reports and the relevant info can be pulled and investigated.

With all due respect Jackie, this is a lie.

None of our reports are actually "pulled and investigated." We know this because these reports are submitted with private videos that count the number of views; views that remain at 0 long after our reports are sent to you. 

• Like 3

Sorry to hear about the troll thrower. If it makes you feel better, there was a player during ranked PvP who threw over 14,000 ranked games and over 100 people submitted video evidence including Bioware Influencers on Twitter / Youtube and they never banned. Furthermore, I contacted developers personally on Gmail and Discord after going through their normal methods.... I got ghosted.

• Like 2

On 10/31/2023 at 12:11 PM, RACATW said:

@EricMusco

We all have reported this guy. Maybe you should hire a minimum wage intern to work on PvP related things?

The cost benefit ratio for player retention would definitely be in favor of the bare minimum being done.

Fear not! They'll have plenty of money once the holiday season comes. All those cartel market sales with the new shader tech dyes. Gee wiz so excited :classic_rolleyes:.  Next year they can hire more staff. Because they'll have no excuses left as to why they can't do this or that it's no longer under Bioware.. Everything going forward under this dev team-Broadsword will be a reflection on them.

it's time for this dev team to put in the work. We're going to find out very quickly when 8.0 swings around the corner if them doing their own thing pays off... Rather than listen to the community. And I'm not talking about them stalking the cartel market section of the forums.  

Wish in one hand dump in the other I guess. My guess is I'm going to have a massive dump in my hand by 8.0

Edited by CadeStive

11 hours ago, JackieKo said:

Hi there,

Thanks for the reports. They were forwarded onto the appropriate teams.

Thanks!

Jackie I'm going to be honest almost every report I've and others have put in gets ignored. Reporting players is pointless, because no action is ever taken by the team. 

If you don't want to handle the trolls and throwers that is fine, but add vote to kick back to PVP so we can toss out these players who want to ruin the experience for everyone. 

It's not toxic to kick someone if they are ruining PVP for everyone else. If you want to see trolls q arena and watch the sin trolls waste everybodys time and purposefully throw the match because they think it's funny. 

Yes it's just a mode, but I and others actively actually try and win matches to get weeklies and dailies done.

1 hour ago, SentinalMasterWW said:

Jackie I'm going to be honest almost every report I've and others have put in gets ignored. Reporting players is pointless, because no action is ever taken by the team. 

If you don't want to handle the trolls and throwers that is fine, but add vote to kick back to PVP so we can toss out these players who want to ruin the experience for everyone. 

It's not toxic to kick someone if they are ruining PVP for everyone else. If you want to see trolls q arena and watch the sin trolls waste everybodys time and purposefully throw the match because they think it's funny. 

Yes it's just a mode, but I and others actively actually try and win matches to get weeklies and dailies done.

lolno. hard pass. this is a casual game mode within a casual game. let players leave (at least during a grace period before spawn) and allow players to choose whether or not to accept back fills. the players who want to play can now play. the players who are going to cry, get pissy, or afk can now just leave. it's the best compromise you're going to ever get with this low maintenance approach that, quite frankly, has always been BW's M.O.

On 11/6/2023 at 3:26 PM, septru said:

With all due respect Jackie, this is a lie.

None of our reports are actually "pulled and investigated." We know this because these reports are submitted with private videos that count the number of views; views that remain at 0 long after our reports are sent to you. 

The sad thing is I don’t think she’s lying. If she was, why even post in here? I think the dev team genuinely believes that the in game report system works. That’s how disconnected from anything to do with PvP they are.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2023 at 1:15 PM, darksidenerd said:

Star Forge server we have a serial troll thrower who joins Arenas to just stay stealthed in the corner until the time runs out then dies once enemy finds him. This player does it for both rounds without fail.
This player has been reported by many..MANY folks including myself.
I went as far as to request the code of conduct and found a section under, "Trolling" that you'd think would apply this this?? This players actions DEFINATLY, " lead to overly strong, negative and emotional responses for the mere shock value".   You say yourself, " Accounts created with the sole intent to "troll" will be immediately and permanently suspended."  Soooooooooooo 

Hey Devs - now I'm in forums keeping this player's name out of my post, but you all know who it is. Do your job. People have been banned for less. 

there used to be a great function called "Vote Kick" which stopped this behavior.

Rules included

• Vote Kick could not be spammed
  • Vote Kick had a timer then the ability to vote was canceled
  • If you were in combat it was impossible to vote kick you
  • If you entered combat it the vote kick was canceled
  • If you were earning defender points, the vote kick was canceled
  • If you healed a team mate still in combat, the vote kick was canceled
  • If you were defending a player being attacked, the vote kick was canceled
  • You needed at least 50% of the team to vote yes or the vote kick was canceled

It was actually very hard to vote kick people. The only exploit I heard about were people vote kicking a dead player. This can be an easy fix, can't vote kick a dead player. But this would not completely stop people from throwing games. Vote kick did stop them from wasting everyone's time in Arena by letting the rounds time out and AFKing in a corner during Warzones.

There were more than a few times we ran into players like this and we would vote kick them if they refused to help us fight in Arena or AFKed in a warzone.

Edited by Darkestmonty
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Darkestmonty said:

there used to be a great function called "Vote Kick" which stopped this behavior.

Rules included

• Vote Kick could not be spammed
  • Vote Kick had a timer then the ability to vote was canceled
  • If you were in combat it was impossible to vote kick you
  • If you entered combat it the vote kick was canceled
  • If you were earning defender points, the vote kick was canceled
  • If you healed a team mate still in combat, the vote kick was canceled
  • If you were defending a player being attacked, the vote kick was canceled
  • You needed at least 50% of the team to vote yes or the vote kick was canceled

It was actually very hard to vote kick people. The only exploit I heard about were people vote kicking a dead player. This can be an easy fix, can't vote kick a dead player. But this would not completely stop people from throwing games. Vote kick did stop them from wasting everyone's time in Arena by letting the rounds time out and AFKing in a corner during Warzones.

There were more than a few times we ran into players like this and we would vote kick them if they refused to help us fight in Arena or AFKed in a warzone.

it takes less than five seconds to vote kick a person in arenas. you did not need to be dead to be kicked. and should you be able to vote if you're dead?  what about vote kicking the person between rounds. hell, just decide between rounds to kick and the dude is out long before he can get across the map and get into combat. vote to kick is incredibly easy to abuse with or without your fix. go back to WZs and do whatever you like there. sth out of arenas with that mickey mouse vote to kick.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, krackcommando said:

it takes less than five seconds to vote kick a person in arenas. you did not need to be dead to be kicked. and should you be able to vote if you're dead?  what about vote kicking the person between rounds. hell, just decide between rounds to kick and the dude is out long before he can get across the map and get into combat. vote to kick is incredibly easy to abuse with or without your fix. go back to WZs and do whatever you like there. sth out of arenas with that mickey mouse vote to kick.

I never tried to vote kick between rounds so can't say.

I was also never on a team looking to immediately kick someone before the game even started, I know one guy kept trying to vote kick me because I out did him in other games but no one ever supported his vote kicks.

In over 10 years of this game I can't remember a single time I was kicked. Lots of attempts but they never succeeded.

Edited by Darkestmonty

2m or 3m grp joins arena. doesn't like 4th teammate. INSTANT kick. INSTANT. ridiculously easy. not that you need the premade for this. it's ridiculously easy for 2 or 3 ppl to scapegoat someone. really. get out of here with this vote to kick garbage. I really don't care what has or hasn't happened to you.

3 randos inspect gear. don't like the 306 in their midst. INSTANT kick.

edit: it's much more difficult to get consensus kicks in WZs to the extent that the mechanism was useless. ofc, being useless makes bringing it back pointless as well. but w/e. at least it isn't an easy abuse case.

Edited by krackcommando