PTS: GSF added to PvP Season 3 track

JackieKo

17 minutes ago, Nee-Elder said:

( Is it because the original GSF code is a total mess and/or too unique from current SWTOR codebase & systems? )

I truly, sincerely doubt that they have anyone who knows that part of the game particularly well these days, and that's unfortunate. It would explain the lack of attention though. 

28 minutes ago, Nee-Elder said:

Q....

... F...

...E !

QFE?

That aside, now thinking about it with a cooler head and based on Nee's comment, this feels like a bait and switch for literally no reason unless someone in there jumped the gun and no one noticed until today.

• Like 1

Wait… nonono. That’s not enough information. Does that mean “we’re never going to add GSF to PvP seasons?” Does it mean “we think we need to work on fixing GSF’s problems before we add it to seasons?” You can’t come out and say you plan to add it — something which made the GSF community very excited, because it means we could get PVP season rewards without necessarily needing to play ground PVP — get frankly minimal feedback which does nothing more than elaborate on GSF’s longstanding issues (none of this is new, it’s been around for as long as I’ve been playing SWTOR), and then completely backtrack. What is going on here? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, juanmf said:

QFE?

That aside, now thinking about it with a cooler head and based on Nee's comment, this feels like a bait and switch for literally no reason unless someone in there jumped the gun and no one noticed until today.

I believe QFE means Quoted for emphasis

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, juanmf said:

QFE?

Airfield barometer reading.  Important to know so that after you go shoot down enough enemies to become an ace you don't crash on approach due to an altimeter offset error.   Adjust your cockpit altimeter to read 0 at the QFE value, and you should touch down approximately when your instruments tell you you've run out of altitude.   As opposed to when you still think you have another 500 meters of vertical space before you smack into something.  We're talking aviation related stuff here right?  ;)

Edited by Ramalina
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, commanderwar said:

I believe QFE means Quoted for emphasis

Thank you

37 minutes ago, Ramalina said:

Airfield barometer reading.  Important to know so that after you go shoot down enough enemies to become an ace you don't crash on approach due to an altimeter offset error.   Adjust your cockpit altimeter to read 0 at the QFE value, and you should touch down approximately when your instruments tell you you've run out of altitude.   As opposed to when you still think you have another 500 meters of vertical space before you smack into something.  We're talking aviation related stuff here right?  ;)

And lmao

Also, I would like to add: wow is it demoralizing to say "hey thanks for remembering this community exists and we really appreciate your time" to have that followed by "nvm we changed our minds". 

That stings a bit. 

Edited by DakhathKilrathi
  • Like 3

I don't even much of a stake in pvp/gsf.  I never did ranked, tried gsf and it's not my thing, but this decision reverse treads on GSF counting for pvp seasons is just one of many that isn't explained properly, or really explained at all.

I didn't understand why you removed ranked pvp just when you split the regular queus in to arenas and warzones, finally giving players somewhere to practice for ranked.

I didn't understand why you allowed groups of up to 8 to premade against solo pugs (the main reason I haven't touched pvp since you split the queues).

Now I don't understand why adding GSF to pvp seasons was announced, and then retracted so fast.   It is pvp, and completely different from ground pvp.  Why remove options from players who prefer GSF to arena/warzones?  

3 hours ago, DakhathKilrathi said:

I truly, sincerely doubt that they have anyone who knows that part of the game particularly well these days, and that's unfortunate. It would explain the lack of attention though. 

This was already the case with the 5.5 patch for GSF, which is why what was able to be changed was fairly tightly constrained.

In theory, the scoreboard should be fixable by people who alter the WZ scoreboard, since the GSF scoreboard is based on the WZ scoreboard, which is why it gets broken by changes to WZ scoreboard code.  On the other hand, I vaguely recall seeing something about parts of the WZ scoreboard not functioning correctly and having stayed broken for a while, so maybe they don't have people who could figure out how to fix it in a timely fashion.   It involves getting game mechanic code to talk to UI code, so it's a bit of a cross discipline item which may make it harder to address in terms of people and expertise needed.

A bit baffling that they actually successfully pulled off a 64 bit client, but can't get UI elements to work.

20 minutes ago, Chryptyk said:

GSF objectives could have been simple:

Play 10 matches, wins count as 2
Earn 50 Medals

Do the weekly 12 times as another way to get 2 tokens

How hard is that to implement?  What's the deal?

HAHA hell no, keep that "Play 10 or win 5" garbage in Warzone and Arena, it's grindy for the sake of grind.

28 minutes ago, Chryptyk said:

the regular weekly is 4, wins count as 2; so 10 points, wins count 2 is a very reasonable season objective

Win 2 or play 4 is reasonable.

Win 5 or play 10 is garbage and part of what makes WZ and Arena such a pain for those of us who don't sweat.

• Like 2

I think GSF should still be added to pvp track, even if it's just one single challenge option from the weeklies. Personally speaking, my progress on PVP almost every week has been 3/4 weeklies done because engaging Arenas takes a long time, on top of that the skill floor for that mode is much higher so earning medals or winning is heavily relying on having a good team coordination/chemistry and well geared up. You only really manage to get that many medals for the objective if you win as well, so they are almost the same objective in a way.

So I think adding GSF as an extra option of complete matches or win matches (or combine them where play matches but wins gets you more progress) would add a nice extra option for those that aren't ready to engage with arena. Not to mention 16 arenas matches is a lot when Q times take a while and you don't have all multiple days in a week to keep playing (exception being when arenas is Galactic season weekly that Qs are okay).  I do agree there is definitely issues with medals on GSF and should be avoided working those in there, I don't even engage myself with that objective in galactic season, but again I still think it would be healthy for GSF to get this objective in pvp so that more people engage with it beyond just galactic season points.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, BryantWood said:

Hey everyone, thanks for your feedback regarding the addition of Galactic Starfighter to the PvP Season track! The team has taken a look at the issues you’ve raised surrounding the current state of Galactic Starfighter such as the medals, objectives, skill gap, and bugs. After evaluating this feedback we’ve come to the conclusion that GSF is not in a good position to be added to the PvP Seasons track at this time.

Thank you again for your constructive feedback regarding this change! We will continue to monitor PvP Seasons and your feedback to improve PvP Seasons going forward.

Wait, what?!

Have you even seen the steaming pile of hot garbage that ground PvP is? The MMO medium is not fit to be a PvP game, yet that didn't stop you guys from implementing seasons. It's like you guys don't even realize the gem you have in GSF, a completely independent PvP mode that causes no interference on PvE balance (which should be your focus as an MMO).

We pilots might be few, but we love GSF something fierce. Maybe you should give it a try, you might end up loving it.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, BryantWood said:

Hey everyone, thanks for your feedback regarding the addition of Galactic Starfighter to the PvP Season track! The team has taken a look at the issues you’ve raised surrounding the current state of Galactic Starfighter such as the medals, objectives, skill gap, and bugs. After evaluating this feedback we’ve come to the conclusion that GSF is not in a good position to be added to the PvP Seasons track at this time.

Thank you again for your constructive feedback regarding this change! We will continue to monitor PvP Seasons and your feedback to improve PvP Seasons going forward.

Can you please address the 5-8 man size premades in ground PvP War Zones please.
Reducing the cap back to 4 man size would greatly improve PvP seasons for everyone going forward.
As would adding a solo only queue for Arena & WZ’s.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I am going to add my voice to those disappointed that it sounds like you are not currently planning to even test this out to try to find a good balance point for what you specifically noted to be an optional bonus/alternative objective.

I'd be happy to do my three Warzone objectives, then take a break from that and play some Starfighter to round things out. Yes, there are a few polish issues, but I don't feel that they are game-breaking enough to warrant the backpedal here, certainly not without at least testing it and getting some feedback there.

Edited by Twelfthdoctor
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, BelisariusD said:

Wait… nonono. That’s not enough information. Does that mean “we’re never going to add GSF to PvP seasons?” Does it mean “we think we need to work on fixing GSF’s problems before we add it to seasons?” You can’t come out and say you plan to add it — something which made the GSF community very excited, because it means we could get PVP season rewards without necessarily needing to play ground PVP — get frankly minimal feedback which does nothing more than elaborate on GSF’s longstanding issues (none of this is new, it’s been around for as long as I’ve been playing SWTOR), and then completely backtrack. What is going on here? 

I wanna bump this! I'm really sad that you don't plan to add GSF to the season but I appreciate that you're communicating. I would even more appreciate a clearer explanation why you've backpedaled. Points and questions were raised here in this thread. And are you planning to include GSF in the future @BryantWood?

An answer would be cool.

Thanks for your time and your work for the game.

(English is not my native language so please don't mind any mistakes)

• Like 1

This... this... uau. After finally remembering that gsf exists you had a grand total of TWO pages of players showing how you had to be careful with the amount of medals due to the difference that the TWO gsf modes generate and that was enough to say "well let's not do it' in the meantime you have topic after topic spanning dozens of pages with the skill gap between premades and solo players and the toxic behaviour that comes with it and you do absolutely nothing. But with gsf all it takes is one or TWO players saying that they don't want to be forced to play what they do not want for a grand total of TWO days and boom it's settled without even trying first. And then you go so far as to immidiately unpin the topic so that it can fall down the proverbial gsf hole. I just don't know what to say to this it really made me sad also mad but mostly just sad.

• Like 2

On 5/10/2023 at 8:39 AM, BryantWood said:

Thank goodness! Please please please stop trying to force GSF on us. 

16 minutes ago, StrikePrice said:

Please please please stop trying to force GSF on us. 

Just curious:

1.  When/where has BioWare ever "forced" GSF onto you?
  2.  How is adding an optional  alternative method into PVP Seasons  "forcing" anything onto you?
Edited by Nee-Elder
  • Like 8