A Note From the Dev Team

EricMusco

This was unexpected news. Very sad to see Charles going, he's a very passionate man, who loves Star Wars, as we all do. Wish him the best.

That said, the communication here was nice, as was the release date of 7.1.

But here is my big question: Why has the communication from the devs been nealry nothing after the release of 7.0 and before that too? It seems very strange not getting any news for months at a time.

I have said before the transparency is very important with a beast like an MMO is. Keep us, the players, up to date, and respond to the big issues, and what you're doing to fix them, like you did the bugged Malgus fight in Ruins of Nul. That is what we need. Going radio silent on issues should not happen, as it only leads to dissapointed players.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, this is a welcome surprise.

But also somewhat worrying looking at the timeline.

While game has definitely been aching for new blood, doing it 8-something months after a failed expansions of unfulfilled promises, it is a terrible starting point for a new team and frustrated players are no doubt going to let them feel their ire over past mishaps. I'm not much different in this, though i recognize most of this is by not means fault of our new leads, but I like many others have been looking for reasons to keep playing for close to a year now, and we are only getting anew team at the end stretch of it. Hopes for reasons to play going up anytime soon with this long stretches is unfortunately not looking terribly promising.

That being said, I am happy to see a "new" team taking over the game (new in quotations since they've worked on this before too, just different ranks or areas).

And, no pressure, but you guys are probably the only hope of a dying playerbase and are going to decide whether it makes or breaks the camels back for majority of us :D

Edited by Kiesu

I understand that Charles leaving is a big deal, and that the loss of a colleague absolutely hurts, but it’s hard not to be a little… off-put?

I don’t want to reiterate what’s already been said, but we’re receiving content 8 months after it was promised, and still missing many of the promises given that were supposed to arrive this year. We’ve received almost no words from any of the dev or community team, and I think a lot of players are scared or concerned about the state of the game, especially now seeing multiple high-level developers depart from the studio.

Like, I know people are being vitriolic, but a lot of people don’t want to see this game fail or struggle, and the fact that the only communication we’re seeing from devs is wishing their coworker goodbye feels… weird. Like, this is a public forum and you’ve couched the announcement of 7.1 between Boyd leaving, as if to try to soften some of this feedback.

But still. We really need to know what’s going on, now more than ever. This game has been a part of my life for literally, literally, half of my life. And it’s sad seeing so many people leave and it’s sad, most of all, hearing practically nothing from the team that’s keeping this game going. I know we can’t know everything going on, but man, can we at least get some idea of what’s to come? Some idea of ANYTHING? Im really trying not to be vitriolic or to add to a pile-on because I have tried to be a positive voice and to support this game, but I am at a point where I really don’t know how I can continue investing in it when we aren’t getting any real communication or word about things going on. Surely you can see how continued radio silence — outright ignoring the genuine concerns just to remind people not to be vitriolic — coupled with all of these departures looks really, really bad and really, really concerning.

Please. Just talk to the playerbase. Let us know if the game is going to be okay.

Oh piffle. Sometimes people just get a better offer and/or get burned out and move on to other positions. I'm sure Charles's financial security and job satisfaction is more important to him than SW fandom.

AMD didn't collapse when one of their lead graphics designers went to Intel for example. 🤔

Edited by JediQuaker

can we expect better communication and roadmaps in the future to avoid dealing with situations like the 7.0 lack of promised content? like its great, you guys wrote some introduction of who you are and that you had a colleague you liked and learned from, but I rather have actual information about the game I play than information about the people behind the scenes

That would be dope :D

#nomore7.0

PS : Instead of chit chatting, you could work on releasing the promised content, for now we had a new FP, a new (delayed) Op and a (delayed) daily zone, a.k.a, way less than 6.0, and it's the 10th anniversary, congrats...

Edited by GuigeekRhadamant

First, Mr. Boyd, I will miss your Lore Knowledge, your passion, and your kindness with good-humor. May your new path be filled with happiness and love. :D

Now, I'm taking a long break (beginning in April) and I logged in the other day just to check things out, and OMG nothing happened from mid-April to mid-July seriously, not even an update to the CM?:confused::confused::confused::confused: I'm waiting 'til August 2nd. IF Malgus is still busted, and the new content is bugged to death, my sub is gone!

Edited by JakRoanin

But here is my big question: Why has the communication from the devs been nealry nothing after the release of 7.0 and before that too? It seems very strange not getting any news for months at a time.

It because this game will NOT get content updates like the ones in other MMOs anymore. It's living off the Star Wars IP.

They can't come out and say that because the game will die faster than it's dying now.

I know the recent announcement is going to take some time for everyone to process.

Took me all of about 2 seconds tbqh . Because unless you attended SW-Convention, we haven't heard from Mr. Boyd since NOVEMBER 2021: https://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=998366 ... Therefore, while this news is very dissappointing (for SWTOR's future) , it was also very predictable. But yes, def. a significant loss.

By the way, where's Keith in all this? We haven't heard from him since MARCH: https://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=10018063#edit10018063

, you should definitely expect to see and hear more from me about what we are doing, when we are doing it, and why.

Instead of more empty proclamations we have a hard time believing, why not implement actual POLICIES?

For example, in SWG we used to have these wonderful things called 'Friday Features' . Not the most illuminating things in the world but at least they were SOMETHING to look forward to each week. Some semblance of Developer/Player interaction (or at least the perception of it) which quite often sparked ideas & discussions based upon what the game already has, rather than what people whine it doesn't have.

SWTOR used to do this: http://www.swtor.com/info/media .....and, imho, still could. Perhaps not every friday, but how about a more realistic goal of....once-a-month?

Do the opposite of what u guys have usually been doing in recent years (aka long gaps of silence) and start bringing the playerbase back behind the 'code curtain' each month. Sure, the Developers live in numbers not necessarily in letters , but who knows maybe they'd enjoy getting out of 'the matrix' for a few minutes each month to spend quality time with their users. --> https://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog ( for some reason that link ironically shows as *Page Not Found* ? :( )

I’m Ashley Ruhl and I am now the Narrative Director for SWTOR. . I’ve been a part of SWTOR several times over the years, including at the game’s launch, during KOTFE/KOTET,

I personally thought the KOTFE/KOTET era was brilliant & inspiring (including the 'Dark vs. Light' event) but i must be in the minority because lately all BioWarEA seems to enjoy implementing is brief 1-hour story "content" basterdized atop the ridiculously insulting hamster-wheel known as "Galactic Seasons" . Ugh.

I’m so excited for the future of SWTOR and can’t wait to share it with all of you!

Cool , and does this "future" by chance relate at all to the 'STAR' part of Star Wars? *hint: The last time BioWare posted in the 'GSF' forums was way back in like 2018 .... /sigh :sy_starship: (example: joystick support ?!?! )

----------------------------------------------------

I've been a loyal $ubscriber since 2011 BETA and frankly i'm still waiting/wishing to celebrate this "year long" 10th Anniversary of SWTOR in the way the SW brand deserves.

Here's my unsolicited suggestion: Fix as many of these BUGS: https://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=1005574 as your team possibly can handle ( "bug bash" , anyone? :D ) ....and then..... dazzle & surprise us with something drastic & dramatic , like say BLOWING UP A PLANET (similar to 'Ziost' ) in a month-long-super-event LIVE event whereby the winning side (Republic or Imperial) gets to REBUILD said planet from scratch with resources & decorations (including player-crafted structures) creating an in-game COMMUNITY and 'instance phases' for guilds to PVP battle over land & space. :ph_use_the_force:

Edited by Nee-Elder
i'm still holding out a little FAITH in this game....but gosh it's tough sometimes, BioWare.

Took a day to let the announcement of Charles Boyd's departure sink in. My last interaction with Charles Boyd was at the 2019 San Diego cantina. I proudly wore my Havoc squad T-shirt and Charles, being the writer for the trooper story, pointed at it and nodded in acknowledgment. And then I asked him a question about itemization after he told me that wasn't his area. Sorry about that Charles. :o I was going to make sure to ask story related questions only at the next cantina event but alas even if there is another in-person cantina event I will not get that opportunity. Thanks for your dedication to SWTOR and all your awesome costumes over the many years and best wishes to you for the future.

As for the BioWare folks that remain, may the Force be with you. It seems like there are a lot of behind-the-scenes challenges that y'all understandably don't publicly talk about. From my perspective SWTOR seems to be struggling. I hope you're empowered and able to deliver on the game's promise.

One item I would address before, I mean not two hours or one hour before, is the Manaan dailies. In PTS you could only do those with characters that had new expansion (Legacy of the Sith-Manaan and the Flashpoint) done before you could access it. This is something people would like to know.

While mine are up to that point there are some that would appreciate an answer prior to August 2 and not August 1.

Hi everyone,

I understand that there is a lot to process right now, but I am posting this to remind everyone to be respectful. My colleagues posted here because there is a desire to communicate with the playerbase, and while we do encourage players to speak their mind, I ask that you remember we are human beings. I and the moderation team will not tolerate posts that are made to target, insult, harass or attack a dev or any player in the forums. Please be mindful of the forum guidelines.

Thank you.

You have ignored the player base, then Went with the My Way or the Highway stance on the game. Then you get hurt when people speak up about how 7.0 ruined this game.

I'm sure I'll get another forum ban for speaking my mind again. Seems all my comments are Negative these days. Go back to the play how you want and Renown system.

You have ignored the player base, then Went with the My Way or the Highway stance on the game. Then you get hurt when people speak up about how 7.0 ruined this game.

I'm sure I'll get another forum ban for speaking my mind again. Seems all my comments are Negative these days. Go back to the play how you want and Renown system.

exactly...

Yup, I'm already noticing threads and posts missing. These people never change and right back to ruling with an Iron fist. But it's nothing new. Frustrated people just addressing concerns. No attacks or anything and just stating opinions. I fully expect this post to be removed as well.

i'd like an open discourse. if ya screw up, just admit it. let us know what the problem is. then proceed to fix it. it's not that hard to just say ok, we're working on this or that and this is where we are with it. i think it would result in less hard feelings. more people would be like ok, i get it, just keep working at it until it's fixed.

Oh man!

Getting transferred to another unit, huh?

*Major Eirani snaps a salute to General Charles Boyd*

Thank you for the trooper story and for all you’ve done with SWTOR.

You’ll be missed…

Best wishes, good luck, and cheers!

Congratulations Master Musco – best wishes to you too and glad you’re still with SWTOR.

No. This game is so close to maintenance mode. If it wasn't for the Star Wars IP, it would have been dead years ago.

They're super desperate to keep people from quitting. Had I not missed my renewal date, I would have been done. But I am stuck until December. I will enjoy the time I have left with my guild and raid team and move on.

this.

aaand

this. i also like a certain user with the old man avatar still shilling for bioware xD they can't do no wrong appearantly....

• Dev Post
One item I would address before, I mean not two hours or one hour before, is the Manaan dailies. In PTS you could only do those with characters that had new expansion (Legacy of the Sith-Manaan and the Flashpoint) done before you could access it. This is something people would like to know.

While mine are up to that point there are some that would appreciate an answer prior to August 2 and not August 1.

Hey casirabit,

Confirming that players' experience reflected in PTS will be what goes live with 7.1. The dailies will unlock after the crit path is completed, so players will need to complete both.

Hey casirabit,

Confirming that players' experience reflected in PTS will be what goes live with 7.1. The dailies will unlock after the crit path is completed, so players will need to complete both.

Say someone has 10 alts they regularly play on.

That means they will have to do the story on all of those alts even if they already have it completed on their main?

It seems unnecessary redundant.

Hey casirabit,

This is just more "my way or the highway" bull, and you wonder why people don't show you guys the respect that you want us to.

Edited by Exly

Hey casirabit,

Which is what I figured. Thanks for answering before this goes live.