7.0 Follow Up

KeithKanneg

Second, we heard loud and clear from 6.0 feedback that farming one particular piece of content (like Hammer Station, or a particular Weekly above all others) because it was the fastest way to gear up, but it just wasn't fun. In 7.0, we rotate content to mix and match some of the shortest and longest flashpoints and weeklies each week. As a result, there is more variety in the type of content the gearing system rewards players for completing. Instead of gathering a sheer quantity of items to sort through to find an upgrade in 6.0, which required more and more efficient runs to maximize the amount of gear acquired, we moved to a system that virtually guarantees upgrades to gear by just doing the featured content each week. At the end of the day it results in a quality over quantity philosophy.

It’s great that you listened, but now you need to listen to the overwhelming “loud and clear” feedback that they Wat you chose to address this was just as bad or worse than the issue you were trying to address. Players are still seeing lots of repitition with the FPs they get in group finder, sometimes even worse than the Hammer Station spam. And this isn’t just because of the issue with limited low level FPs being available. Many players simply don’t like running the longer FPs, so they deselect them as an option. As a result, all of us are getting the same ones over and over. I got Athiss and Battle of Rishi way more than any other FP this week. And frankly, you aren’t making a lot of players happy when you force them into FPs that no one wants to run because they take forever and no one knows the mechanics. The real solution to the problem is obvious. Make the rewards for doing the longer and harder FPs worth the time investment. This solves the entire issue and you no longer need to limit what is on the queue. This solution you came up with instead was a lazy option that doesn’t reward players and instead simply keeps people from making the complaint you got tired of hearing and instead gives them a new one.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's still an mmorpg and a huge part of it is socializing and playing together. If they follow your logic, then why you need 8 players to play an operation? Just change the system, so that you can do it alone. I dont want to be forced to play ops with 8 players...

In my experience, grinding content is usually designed for solo play and socialization is predominantly done at hubs. YMMV depending on which MMOs you've played over the years. Heroics are grinding content that were balanced for solo play in 2015.

Have you considered that you are perhaps undergeared and/or not using the best skill tree choices for the content? I'm running around open world with no companion in 327 ilevel -- basically just as easy as pre-7.0.

We were told all solo content was balanced around 318 gear, so anyone who has done part of the new story shouldn't be under-geared. 326+ gear is over-geared if they genuinely balanced content the way they claim they did. And then there are all of the characters who are playing content at or around level who can't over-gear like that, and who don't have access too dcd or cc.

Edited by Damask_Rose

The biggest offender of this issue is when Malgus is pulling or pushing the player. This creates one of two possibilities: something in the game is causing the player to take a substantial, unintended spike of damage which kills them, or the movement of their character is causing them to hit something we call a “death volume”. This is a space built into all environments that if a player enters, kills them instantly. In this case, this area is used as a mechanism to ensure players don’t ever get stuck in the environment. We have done explorations of the death volumes, combat triggers, the ballistics on Malgus’s attacks, and none of these appears to be the culprit. The bug remains so our hunt for a fix continues. As this issue only wants to rear its ugly head on live servers, we have made a couple of tweaks, most notably to death volumes, which you can help us test right now on PTS!

Why not just remove his pulling skill?

Just give him another skill, so atleast players can finish the story on their Assasins/Shadows.

I generally do not like the skillset that Malgus was given in this particular fight.

The teleporting around makes for a bad gameplay experience, and the bugged pulling skill is killing people.(Caaaarl...)

The Malgus fight before that was really good, where he can split up into multiple Malguses.

We did make key changes to the way we approach rewards in 7.0. We rotate content (including Flashpoints available in Groupfinder and Weekly missions for Daily Areas) for a couple of reasons. First, it allows all reward calendars to be aligned. Conquests, Galactic Seasons, and the Featured weekly content all line up, which means players can make progress towards multiple rewards at once.

I know what you did. I just to like it.

Now you choose the content you want people to spam each week and that may make you feel powerful, but it does nothing for me as a customer.

This is a bare bones Hamster Wheel. Three days and out.

Ossus kept my interest for half a year, in comparison. Same with the previous expansion/upgrade. There is nothing interesting with this one. That's the problem. And the daily log-in rewards, feels thematically generic and boring.

Unless being some lowlife generic scum, is your highest aspiration, naturally. :-)

More Dark Versus light themes, and some *fresh* areas to run around in, on a daily basis, with something to show for it *in the not so distant future*, is a bare minimum, I'm afraid.

Being neither here or there, in a stripped down placeholder framework, does not create that inner spark of energy. That comes after the initial interest. That was those three days. And that's not a long time, to be here.

When it is better not to have done anything at all, then this might be a downgrade for some. Like me. Sorry. :-)

Also ( and almost forgot ) , those artificial levels you had with a reward attached to them, after you hit the cap, that might seem like meaningless numbers, actually kept the Dopamine flowing.

Just like the Spice in the Dune Universe, the Dopamine must flow. This is very important!!!

---

Edited by Sernon

Most of the operations, especially the harder ones, are done by guilds that have worked together for a long time and therefore that is different. I do not mind grouping but I am selective and there is nothing that will change that. I have been here long enough to know there are some individuals I do not want to group with and that is my choice and furthermore half these people are in a hurry and as I stated before, some of us have things we have to stop and come back to and those individuals are too impatient and not willing to wait.

My friends and my guild know that I may have to go afk at a minute notice due to the fact I am taking care of an invalid mom that may need something and they are understanding about that, but other people, not so much and I will not deal their attitude because of that.

Yes grouping for a random VET FP is a Nightmare for me! (I am chronically ill and have random spasms all over) I twitch (the camera squiggles and I get turned round) or can't run it fast enough and people start cursing and kicking me out. My Guild is typically on very late at night, great when I have insomnia, not-so-much when I can sleep. I tried to do SM OPS and the pain was unbearable (are you listening Mr. Kanneg, Ms. Ko, etc.) With a guild full of nice people I couldn't do it and was in tears because of pain. Grouping doesn't take care of every circumstance.

The new scaling doesn't make it impossible to play but it does take more physical effort. Having access to better gear takes the pressure off a bit, but no, since I mostly solo I get crap. I play the way I do because of limitations beyond my control. I will never be hard-core, but I like to be rewarded for my efforts too.

If they'd just remove the stupid caps on currency I'd be a happier player.

Edited by JakRoanin

Hello SWTOR Community,

7.0 is a foundational update to the game. The fundamental refactoring of all abilities and Advanced Classes into Combat Styles, the addition of the long-requested Loadouts feature, and the beginnings of new UI/UX and Itemization constitute the most significant systemic changes made to SWTOR since launch. These are only the first steps toward the ambitious and inspiring vision we have for SWTOR's future. We are excited to continue bringing this vision to life in the ongoing updates and additions coming to the game this year and beyond. More story will be coming including new locations to explore, a PvP revamp, and more visual and modernization improvements are also underway. It was always intended that 7.0 would receive multiple updates in 2022 and beyond to celebrate ten years of SWTOR.

- Keith

7.0 was such a let down and was that poor on content and quality control EA really should be looking at the team they have working on this game as have a hard think about it. 7.0 was nothing but smoke and mirrors that gave us hope but all we got was nothing but heart break I really do feel sorry for Keith he is getting hit from all sides but in a paid MMO with such poor control this is expected.

Look at games like FFXIV yes expansions are paid but the content is on a massive scale and deserves every cent that the player pays.

Microsoft should buy EA so then waves can be made but look at Battlefield another lemon how many lemons can investors handle.

^...

I really do feel sorry for Keith he is getting hit from all sides but in a paid MMO with such poor control this is expected.

No i don't feel sorry for him, this man is a root cause to this desaster with his elitist mind set.

The gearing system 6.x was pretty fine, why changing an wasting ressources only to implement this bull.....?

Who really needs the UI update?

Who want to drop the renown system?

Who cares about this meaningless new OP? - If you want to play OPs, play WoW they have 6 or more in the time here they get one.

SWTOR is story based - so f.... of this OPs and bring great long-lasting story content, new planets with great areas to explore with several daily quest hubs.

Implement a way to freely explore the space and build mining spots, colonies or something else.

There are much more potential then stupid Operations

No i don't feel sorry for him, this man is a root cause to this desaster with his elitist mind set.

The gearing system 6.x was pretty fine, why changing an wasting ressources only to implement this bull.....?

Who cares about this meaningless new OP? - If you want to play OPs, play WoW they have 6 or more in the time here they get one.

SWTOR is story based - so f.... of this OPs and bring great long-lasting story content, new planets with great areas to explore with several daily quest hubs.

Implement a way to freely explore the space and build mining spots, colonies or something else.

+1 all true

While I gee with you that making so many changes to systems that worked was not something that I think should have been done, I don't agree that just because you don't like ops that they should stop making new ones.

As a matter of fact, operations are the only content in the game that is only made available to subscribers. All other content is available for free. So why shouldn't people who are required to pay to play in order to do their chosen activity be the only ones not to get new content?

Thats the same kind of thinking that led to the loss the things that you wish they would have kept.

Why not just remove his pulling skill?

Just give him another skill, so atleast players can finish the story on their Assasins/Shadows.

I generally do not like the skillset that Malgus was given in this particular fight.

The teleporting around makes for a bad gameplay experience, and the bugged pulling skill is killing people.(Caaaarl...)

The Malgus fight before that was really good, where he can split up into multiple Malguses.

They really should. I have never played another MMO were such a game breaking bug was allowed to be in the game for so long. Any other dev team would just have simply removed the mechanic with a patch overnight, or simply temporarily disabled the boss altogether.

As a matter of fact, operations are the only content in the game that is only made available to subscribers. All other content is available for free. So why shouldn't people who are required to pay to play in order to do their chosen activity be the only ones not to get new content?

I don't pay my subscription fee to fund Keith's Raiders Heaven. I actually rarely do operations and I'm not planning to run one in any near future just because they push them so hard on me.

Edited by juliushorst

I can full agree...

This man don´t have the capability to drive this game forward...

Well not just him... but the leadership at Bioware Austin as a whole...

This debacle is just the culmination of this mismanagement..

Best Regards,

LPC

Edited by LordPaulusCobris

I don't pay my subscription fee to fund Keith's Raiders Heaven. I actually rarely do operations and I'm not planning to run one in any near future just because they push them so hard on me.

That's ok. But just because you feel that way, does not mean that I agree with you. Other people do enjoy parts of the game that you don't like. That doesn't make them wrong, it just means that they like different things that you do.

You don't want to fund the creation of operations, but you are not the only one who's subscription helps to fund the game, and it would be just as wrong to stop creating new operations as it would be to stop creating story content like I am pretty sure that people who only play this game to do ops might think if they were only thinking of themselves.

That's ok. But just because you feel that way, does not mean that I agree with you. Other people do enjoy parts of the game that you don't like. That doesn't make them wrong, it just means that they like different things that you do.

I think you misunderstood me. I simply want them to leave parts of the game I enjoy alone and don't make then unejoyable for me. Cranking up difficulty of the open world content (something people playing harder group content were postulating) made the game significantly less fun for me. I stay out of NiM raids and keep my opinions about their difficulty for me, raiders stay out of my open world. Fair?

You don't want to fund the creation of operations, but you are not the only one who's subscription helps to fund the game, and it would be just as wrong to stop creating new operations as it would be to stop creating story content like I am pretty sure that people who only play this game to do ops might think if they were only thinking of themselves.

I never said I want them to stop making operations. New operations either don't impact me at all or impact me in a positive way (if I find them fun I'll run them from time to time). I'm just against this "harder = more fun" mindset they appear to have in 7.0. Open world and story aren't a training ground for operations and pvp for me, they are core of the game and I don't want them changed the way they were changed in 7.0. I'm unhappy with the product I paid for and I'm considering stopping those payments unless changes are made to make the game enjoyable for me again. That's what I meant by not wanting to fund Keith's Raiders Paradise.

I think you misunderstood me. I simply want them to leave parts of the game I enjoy alone and don't make then unejoyable for me. Cranking up difficulty of the open world content (something people playing harder group content were postulating) made the game significantly less fun for me. I stay out of NiM raids and keep my opinions about their difficulty for me, raiders stay out of my open world. Fair?

I never said I want them to stop making operations. New operations either don't impact me at all or impact me in a positive way (if I find them fun I'll run them from time to time). I'm just against this "harder = more fun" mindset they appear to have in 7.0. Open world and story aren't a training ground for operations and pvp for me, they are core of the game and I don't want them changed the way they were changed in 7.0. I'm unhappy with the product I paid for and I'm considering stopping those payments unless changes are made to make the game enjoyable for me again. That's what I meant by not wanting to fund Keith's Raiders Paradise.

Sorry, I took your comments saying that people who do ops should play WoW as a way of saying that those people shouldn't play swtor, and when you say that nim raiders shouldn't do open world stuff too, you seem to be saying that people who do nim ops should not invade "your" space in the open world.

I just don't think that way. I want you to be able to play the parts of the game that you prefer, and I want the same for other people too. Even if they like doing nim ops.

I do agree with you that open would stuff is not the best training ground for harder operations or pvp. But limiting open world activities for players who enjoy and do harder content is a bad idea in my opinion, and is not fair.

Now, it you don't think that you are getting your monies worth, and want to stop paying them, then I can understand that. As a matter of fact, I have already un subbed, so when subscription runs out later this month, I will be locked out of operations, but can still log in an play for free if I want to in the open world, and even do some pvp, starfighter, uprisings and flashpoints if I want to. If you want to do the same thing, then go for it.

Edited by Exly

Sorry, I took your comments saying that people who do ops should play WoW as a way of saying that those people shouldn't play swtor, and when you say that nim raiders shouldn't do open world stuff too, you seem to be saying that people who do nim ops should not invade "your" space in the open world.

I just don't think that way. I want you to be able to play the parts of the game that you prefer, and I want the same for other people too. Even if they like doing nim ops.

I don't see them being there as invading it, everybody's welcome. I mean I'm rather unhappy about a faction of NiM raiders and other "hardcore gamers" who want the devs to shape entire game - including those parts I spend most time in - around their preferences and playstyle. It would appear the devs listened to them and turned the game into a terrible joyless slog.

Give me a way to opt-out of the new scaling \ balancing (multiple suggestions were given in this and other threads) and I'm pretty much a happy camper again.

Now, it you don't think that you are getting your monies worth, and want to stop paying them, then I can understand that. As a matter of fact, I have already un subbed, so when subscription runs out later this month, I will be locked out of operations, but can still log in an play for free if I want to in the open world, and even do some pvp, starfighter, uprisings and flashpoints if I want to. If you want to do the same thing, then go for it.

Maybe I'm a sentimental fool but I'm still in the "let's wait and see how they react" camp. I'm subscribed since March 2016 and never was I closer to unsubscribing (even during early 5.0) but I'm not there yet. The fact we lured Keith out of hiding fills me with some optimism and I hope he'll keep posting here.

I don't see them being there as invading it, everybody's welcome. I mean I'm rather unhappy about a faction of NiM raiders and other "hardcore gamers" who want the devs to shape entire game - including those parts I spend most time in - around their preferences and playstyle. It would appear the devs listened to them and turned the game into a terrible joyless slog.

Give me a way to opt-out of the new scaling \ balancing (multiple suggestions were given in this and other threads) and I'm pretty much a happy camper again.

Maybe I'm a sentimental fool but I'm still in the "let's wait and see how they react" camp. I'm subscribed since March 2016 and never was I closer to unsubscribing (even during early 5.0) but I'm not there yet. The fact we lured Keith out of hiding fills me with some optimism and I hope he'll keep posting here.

This isn't what we wanted. We want to able to get gear directly from operations, like how it used to be. We want to kill a boss and receive a piece of gear relative to the mode we're doing. Those of us who do NiM should be rewarded with NiM-only gear. We don't want to be doing GSF and World Bosses and Flashpoints for gear. If you think we're the ones shaping the game you're sorely mistaken. The people who do only solo and daily content who feel they should have access to gear they don't need have created this mess of a system.

Sorry, that post was idiotic. Yes, most of those things should have been fixed before you released this god awful mess.

Bugs aren't the major problem. THE PROBLEM is you are taking the game backwards. The gear treadmill is the prime example. Increasing the level cap while "pruning" abilities is RIDICULOUS. Everytime I load in and see all the missing skills with empty slots, I curse your collective stupidity.

Toons have to level more for LESS. LESS. My toons have less skills. For example at sentinel level 68, I have to choose between Guarded by the force, blade blitz, or Force stasis (choke). ALL ARE ESSENTIAL OR ICONIC. I get one. WHY? Before, every build HAD ALL OF THEM. WHY DO I ONLY GET ONE NOW.

WHY??? WHY??? Stupid jerks. EVERY SINGLE time I load in I SEE THOSE MISSING SKILLS in the form of EMPTY SLOTS. WHY???

You talk about some grand plans for the future. WHO CARES. YOU HAVE SHOWN YOUR VISION SUX with your amateurish UI. A drop down with no scroll bar or any other obvious clue there are more choices, hidden (vehicles). Perfect, PERFECT example of the crap quality of this whole mess. THAT IS A MIDDLE SCHOOL UI design mistake.

Why don't you put up a RIGHT track/WRONG track poll on your forums for your playerbase and get some instant , honest feedback on how optimistic or what buy in you have from them on YOUR REMAINING paying customers on your grand craptastic vision.

STOP TAKING THE GAME BACKWARDS and MAKING us suffer through bad design choices we thought we were rid off...

Edited by MirrimFaranth

This isn't what we wanted. We want to able to get gear directly from operations, like how it used to be. We want to kill a boss and receive a piece of gear relative to the mode we're doing. Those of us who do NiM should be rewarded with NiM-only gear. We don't want to be doing GSF and World Bosses and Flashpoints for gear. If you think we're the ones shaping the game you're sorely mistaken. The people who do only solo and daily content who feel they should have access to gear they don't need have created this mess of a system.

I agree that people who nim ops should drop nim level gear, but I don't agree that only people who do nim ops deserve that gear.

Personally, I enjoy the game more when I have bis gear. I am not the best player in the game, and I benefit from having the better gear when doing harder content like nim ops, and so I don't do them unless I already have the gear that I need. That means that I haven't done any nim ops since the launch of 7.0, and that is one of the reasons I've decided to un sub. I get gear so that I can do the content that I enjoy. Having to slog through content that I would otherwise enjoy to get gear is just not as fun for me.

What I don't understand is why anyone would want to prevent people like me from being able to obtain the gear that I want or need just because they are better at the game than me. In case you're wondering, it's that kind of thinking that causes people to think of nim raiders as elitists, and to think that they are the ones that really got the devs to create this mess in the first place.

I agree that people who nim ops should drop nim level gear, but I don't agree that only people who do nim ops deserve that gear.

Personally, I enjoy the game more when I have bis gear. I am not the best player in the game, and I benefit from having the better gear when doing harder content like nim ops, and so I don't do them unless I already have the gear that I need. That means that I haven't done any nim ops since the launch of 7.0, and that is one of the reasons I've decided to un sub. I get gear so that I can do the content that I enjoy. Having to slog through content that I would otherwise enjoy to get gear is just not as fun for me.

What I don't understand is why anyone would want to prevent people like me from being able to obtain the gear that I want or need just because they are better at the game than me. In case you're wondering, it's that kind of thinking that causes people to think of nim raiders as elitists, and to think that they are the ones that really got the devs to create this mess in the first place.

I'm well aware of why people who don't do the hardest content in the game want the best gear available. Those who want to play an MMO by themselves through and through feel they should have top tier gear so they can do their dailies faster, or it gives them a little more leeway to just use whatever abilities they want with reckless abandon. It does not change the fact that it is not needed for them to have it to accomplish their goal of dailies or SM FPs or whatever. But they wanted it, and so now we have this mess of people afk'ing in GSF, farming one specific boss over and over again, etc - everything ol Keith here seems to think they changed from 6.0.

I get your point of view, but frankly I will not concede my own standpoint that the system was at its best when you got the appropriate gear from doing each activity. If you wanted expertise gear, you had to pvp. If you wanted to get gear for Hard Mode, you did Story Mode first. From Hard Mode, you got gear that prepared you for Nightmare. From Nightmare, you got gear that made Nightmare slightly easier. Anyone not doing those activities did not need that gear to do what they wanted to do, and so they did not receive that gear and instead got what was appropriate to the level of effort they put into their activity of choice. If I want to go smash some mobs in Section X by myself, I should not be rewarded in the same way as someone who assembled 8 people to do a Nightmare Op.

What I have noticed in-game is there are a lot more players in the areas, and with share tagging of mobs, I'm finding I'm not waiting around for respawns.

This is good, but we really need a way to actually find what content groups are doing, rather than just run to a world boss and see if there are people killing it at that particular moment. It would be very helpful if we could queue up for content like world bosses or the turrets/base defenders season objective we have this week.

Having to rely on chat channels is clunky at best and really not suited for this kind of thing.

Edited by rylixav

I'm well aware of why people who don't do the hardest content in the game want the best gear available. Those who want to play an MMO by themselves through and through feel they should have top tier gear so they can do their dailies faster, or it gives them a little more leeway to just use whatever abilities they want with reckless abandon. It does not change the fact that it is not needed for them to have it to accomplish their goal of dailies or SM FPs or whatever. But they wanted it, and so now we have this mess of people afk'ing in GSF, farming one specific boss over and over again, etc - everything ol Keith here seems to think they changed from 6.0.

I get your point of view, but frankly I will not concede my own standpoint that the system was at its best when you got the appropriate gear from doing each activity. If you wanted expertise gear, you had to pvp. If you wanted to get gear for Hard Mode, you did Story Mode first. From Hard Mode, you got gear that prepared you for Nightmare. From Nightmare, you got gear that made Nightmare slightly easier. Anyone not doing those activities did not need that gear to do what they wanted to do, and so they did not receive that gear and instead got what was appropriate to the level of effort they put into their activity of choice. If I want to go smash some mobs in Section X by myself, I should not be rewarded in the same way as someone who assembled 8 people to do a Nightmare Op.

I loved being able to save my pvp tokens in 3.0 to buy my expertise gear on day one of 4.0. I still did pvp content to get the tokens, but I was able to enter my first match without having to go through the painful cycle of being under geared until I could buy what I wanted.

I also liked bringing new players onto a team, and throwing all of the gear at them so that they could gear up in a couple of hours after joining the team so, I get why people like gear drops in ops.

I just don't think that withholding gear from others because they want it to do content that they don't need it for is anything that I should or want to be opposed to. I have also seen posts from people who have physical challenges that truly do need to have the best gear that they can get their hands on to do what most people could do with poorly optimized trash gear like 312 or 318 gear is now. I mean let's face it, most content in the game can be done pretty easily in 236 gear or less. That doesn't mean that people that don't do ops should be prevented from getting anything better than that.

The real deciding factor should be what is best for the game/players. Is it better to limit who can get bis gear, or is it better to make it available to everyone? If customer satisfaction is taken into account, then I think that giving unrestricted access to everyone is the better choice (regardless of the content that they choose to do).