7.0 Follow Up

KeithKanneg

So, here's my feedback about 7.0 so far.

Firstly, I must say how it's amazing how you managed to completely ignore ALL feedback from the test server, and went on and implemented even the dumbest of ideas.

But in short: the story bit, or what we got of it, is ok. And I also like having to do a reduced amount of missions to get my weekly quest done. But then...

...then... pretty much *everything* else is screwed up. The character sheet, class changes, group finder changes, not being able to pick up all ops quests, etc. Literally everything related to actual gameplay is worse than before.

The list is long, but here are a few that irk me the most.

1) The new character sheet is just plain awful. Firstly it's too large, and what's worse, it's uninformative and not functioning properly. Nobody needs to see some "damage" or "survivability" rating that's like straight from some silly smartphone game. Did your devs not know this is a pc game? What players need to see are the actual stats and their percentages -- which are now inconveniently hidden behind a button and a scrollbar, while they should be the first things visible when you open your character sheet!

2) Outfitter: can't preview an outfit without activating it at the same time. You also can't inspect another player's outfit any more.

3) "Choose 1 of 3" system is just a plain awful approach. You don't need to copy all the stupid stuff that WoW did! A sizable portion of your player base consists of "WoW refugees" who came to Swtor because it was NOT like WoW. And now you're trying to drive them away?

4) Loadouts: not working reliably. The other day I spent half an ops dragging my abilities back to their slots after a temporary class swap.

5) Personal starship tab: no longer visible in the character sheet and is hidden from sight into a place where no new player could possibly find it. WHY?

6) Gearing system is appalling. It doesn't help that the ratio at which you can gain special currencies for upgrades is bonkers. Even when grinding MM flashpoints daily, those isotopes stack up ridiculously slow, whereas commendations constantly get wasted because of having reached the cap.

7) Group finder and its random, weekly selection of flashpoints. Ugh.

8) Weekly heroics and missions are not resetting properly. Haven't been able to do Coruscant or Czerka daily (or "weekly") mission series after the first week, whereas some others can.

9) Switching class usually sends your equipped tactical into the mailbox instead of your inventory. It also often places some of your personal starship equipment into your bags.

Many players I've known for years have cancelled their sub and quit. If you want them back, you've got a lot of fixing to do.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your inferences are not really clear, at least to me. People who enjoyed the 6.0 gearing system are not mutually exclusive from any other kind of player. Raiders, soloers, casual players, and so on, all had their gripes and their praises for the system. Personally, I enjoyed 6.0's system as it gave me a ton of different sets to play around with in raids, as well as the tactical system being new. I know many raiders who also enjoyed 6.0's system. How are solo and casual players punished now, but weren't in 6.0, by the gearing system?

I thought that was obvious. In 6.0 casual and solo players could eventually get top end gear by playing the content they enjoy, obviously raiders could too. In 7.0 casual and solo players can not ever get top end gear by playing the content they enjoy, but raiders still can. Taking something enjoyable away from people who are used to getting that enjoyable thing is a common form of punishment.

As a reminder, this is the quote I was replying to, "The people who do only solo and daily content who feel they should have access to gear they don't need have created this mess of a system."

This need to reinvent the wheel and look backwards is something I can't fathom. The game is ten years old now; shouldn't the gearing system be something that has been firmly settled on by the Dev Team by now? Yet, what makes this so amusing is that once most players realize that their stats are capped in open-world, what will happen then? They have made this big grind meaningless.

Yet, what makes this so amusing is that once most players realize that their stats are capped in open-world, what will happen then? They have made this big grind meaningless.

I hope they'll come here and give devs an earful in regards to this new scaling.

I expect many of them will simply quit.

Edited by juliushorst

THAT is the one single thing that leaves me scratching my head in disbelief.

Please--any of you feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but this horrific scaling and capping wasn't on any iteration of the PTS, was it? I recall Theron and my PCs cutting through wildlife on Onderon without running into any issues like this--such as nearly dying dealing with Torvix because Spy Boy suddenly stopped healing.

I thought that was obvious. In 6.0 casual and solo players could eventually get top end gear by playing the content they enjoy, obviously raiders could too. In 7.0 casual and solo players can not ever get top end gear by playing the content they enjoy, but raiders still can. Taking something enjoyable away from people who are used to getting that enjoyable thing is a common form of punishment.

As a reminder, this is the quote I was replying to, "The people who do only solo and daily content who feel they should have access to gear they don't need have created this mess of a system."

As far as I'm concerned, that isn't a problem. Obviously, I'm not in charge of game design, and as I said in a post several pages back, I'm sure that giving people more methods to gear can't hurt in terms of revenue and player satisfaction. But from my point of view of being a NiM raider for pretty much my entire tenure in game, people not having access to gear they don't need through their preferred solo/casual content is a good thing. If you want something like top tier gear, you should have to do something a bit more challenging than solo content. Brings more people to raiding which means more operations for us, or at least that's the ideal.

I'm sure my perspective will upset many who fall into that demographic. It's just my point of view, and if it does upset you, be glad I'm not the one making these design decisions. I also feel this debate has run its course, and I don't really have anything new to say after this post.

If you want something like top tier gear, you should have to do something a bit more challenging than solo content. Brings more people to raiding which means more operations for us, or at least that's the ideal.

Maybe I'm unusually stubborn but I promised myself I won't run a single one for at least first two months after the expansion because I really don't like the expansion and, with few months of subscription still remaining, that's the only way I can express my defiance.

The gear actually means little to me now. With everything being (badly) capped and no veteran stacks having full set of 330s doesn't improve my performance in the content I do most often. So, my main gripe isn't with the gear but with scaling.

.... If you want something like top tier gear, you should have to do something a bit more challenging than solo content. Brings more people to raiding which means more operations for us, or at least that's the ideal.

That's what I think the devs thought too. But for those of us who don't like OPs and find them boring, it just one more thing that drives us out of the game.

This is where 6.0 IMO and for my style of playing, really shined. I got to play the way I wanted. In 6.0 I still did MM FPs and Uprisings and the occasional harder OP when my guildies needed me to fill in. But now, not only will I not be doing OPs, but I won't be playing again until this is fixed. So for me at least it was a lose/lose. A loss for me as I really did enjoy the game, and loss for Bioware as they won't be getting anymore money from me either.

Edited by gidder

But from my point of view of being a NiM raider for pretty much my entire tenure in game, people not having access to gear they don't need through their preferred solo/casual content is a good thing. If you want something like top tier gear, you should have to do something a bit more challenging than solo content. Brings more people to raiding which means more operations for us, or at least that's the ideal..

Has it, though?

I mean, really. Has it? Or has the raiding community downsized over the years because of the lack of new content? From my point of view of being here since before launch, I've seen fewer and fewer raiders. When I started, my now-tiny guild was a decent-sized (not mega-huge) guild and we regularly fielded a few progressive teams. Not always at the HM (now NiM) level, but always working in that direction. But as the years went on and content slowed to a trickle, most of them left. I'm lucky to field a guild-only group for FPs or whatever now. (And no, this is not where someone 'helpfully' tells me to join a larger guild. Been there, done that. Done with that.)

Gear will only retain interest for so long when you have to run the same content over and over, some of it closing in on a decade old. When 'play your way' came along, it looked like BioWare's numbers agreed with my assessment - that people were not, in fact, raiding more just to get gear. It wasn't a big enough carrot. Is alienating the solo/casual players who have supported the game a good idea on the chance that surely, this time will be different? I guess time will tell... but I doubt the raiders will come for and stay for a single new op in sufficient numbers to offset the lost solo/casual players - and that demographic has already proven pretty resistant to changing their desired playstyle.

One other thing: Everyone has a different definition of 'easy,' and taking the definition of a tiny percentage of the player base and applying it to everyone is problematic. Solo content includes things like heroic Star Fortresses, Eternal Championship, and MM Chapters. While you personally may not view them as much of a challenge, you are hardly the average player and after 7.1 you certainly won't be doing them in the same gear as the average player either. Regardless, to argue that they are the same level of difficulty as, say, Coruscant heroics, is laughable. There is a low end, and there is a higher end, in terms of challenge in solo content.

Edited by Lyriel

Has it, though?

I mean, really. Has it? Or has the raiding community downsized over the years because of the lack of new content? From my point of view of being here since before launch, I've seen fewer and fewer raiders. When I started, my now-tiny guild was a decent-sized (not mega-huge) guild and we regularly fielded a few progressive teams. Not always at the HM (now NiM) level, but always working in that direction. But as the years went on and content slowed to a trickle, most of them left. I'm lucky to field a guild-only group for FPs or whatever now. (And no, this is not where someone 'helpfully' tells me to join a larger guild. Been there, done that. Done with that.)

Gear will only retain interest for so long when you have to run the same content over and over, some of it closing in on a decade old. When 'play your way' came along, it looked like BioWare's numbers agreed with my assessment - that people were not, in fact, raiding more just to get gear. It wasn't a big enough carrot. Is alienating the solo/casual players who have supported the game a good idea on the chance that surely, this time will be different? I guess time will tell... but I doubt the raiders will come for and stay for a single new op in sufficient numbers to offset the lost solo/casual players - and that demographic has already proven pretty resistant to changing their desired playstyle.

One other thing: Everyone has a different definition of 'easy,' and taking the definition of a tiny percentage of the player base and applying it to everyone is problematic. Solo content includes things like heroic Star Fortresses, Eternal Championship, and MM Chapters. While you personally may not view them as much of a challenge, you are hardly the average player and after 7.1 you certainly won't be doing them in the same gear as the average player either. Regardless, to argue that they are the same level of difficulty as, say, Coruscant heroics, is laughable. There is a low end, and there is a higher end, in terms of challenge in solo content.

Gear is hardly the main interest that NiM raiders have in the long-term, I agree. For myself and my guys, this last tier we truly just raided for the joy of the game. After developing and perfecting our strats for Dxun and Gods timers, we still ran them week in and week out. This could be due to us role swapping, getting more of our friends their achievements, selling the achievements to those who needed it, farming titles on alts, etc. All the raids prior to Gods, like DF and DP, were pretty much only run if we could do them on off-roles, for sales, or out of boredom, but we still enjoyed them for what they were.

We always see old players come back when new operations are announced, but funny enough, we find they usually aren't as good as they/we thought they were, so they get on teams that can't clear anything, and thus quit out of frustration or boredom. A lot of the people who complained about Dxun in our community were usually people who didn't really understand the Operation in depth, and people don't like doing things they're not good at.

I'll share with you something you may find interesting. Several of my friends and co-raiders are not playing right now. Lost Ark, for instance, took a lot of their attention, and coupled with an expansion that involved a boring gearing system and no new operations, just fueled that disinterest. We're all waiting for R-4, but we also don't care to gear up right now in preparation when we can (hopefully) just gear directly from R-4 drops, instead of the convoluted system in place now.

All that to say, the raiding community is nowhere near thrilled with this gearing system, and it is not as tailored to our preferences as people in this thread seem to think it is.

Edited by BishopSMASH

I just decided to cancel my sub. Time runs out on April 1. I look forward to resubbing -- hopefully when -- all this 7.0 rubbish gets fixed. Won't be leaving the game, but I no longer see a reason to continue to financially support it when our constructive criticisms are not being heeded. I will continue to monitor the forums in hopes that things will turn around once the sub runs out. Edited by robwettengel

Okay, here's my thing, (its past midnight where I am so if I don't make sense ignore). I think 3 things would make me happier in SWTOR world right now...

1. Remove the caps on the currency, including Tech Fragments, for Subscribers. Please they are ridiculous in the extreme.

2, A date for the patch with the new "fixes," I need to know how to plan the rest of the year's 'luxury budget'. If it improves things SWTOR can continue gobbling the money I could be spending on books and Documentary Streaming Channels.

3. A Post Every Monday and Friday from the team to actually interact with us peasants. Mr. Kanneg did pretty good at the beginning of this thread. Ms. Ko can post a topic on Monday like, "what kind of things would you all like to see with Daily Areas? we can politely reply, Friday they can do a follow-up. See we can all get along.:)

PS. I realize 1 & 3 are a pipe-dream but I think 2 is reasonable. There are books that are really tempting .

As far as I'm concerned, that isn't a problem. Obviously, I'm not in charge of game design, and as I said in a post several pages back, I'm sure that giving people more methods to gear can't hurt in terms of revenue and player satisfaction. But from my point of view of being a NiM raider for pretty much my entire tenure in game, people not having access to gear they don't need through their preferred solo/casual content is a good thing. If you want something like top tier gear, you should have to do something a bit more challenging than solo content. Brings more people to raiding which means more operations for us, or at least that's the ideal.

I'm sure my perspective will upset many who fall into that demographic. It's just my point of view, and if it does upset you, be glad I'm not the one making these design decisions. I also feel this debate has run its course, and I don't really have anything new to say after this post.

How great is the percentage of NIM raiders?

In 6.0 we had 4 raid groups and only one was Nim raiders which needs members from other guilds because we had not 8 in an guild with appr. 50 accounts.

So in my opinion its a fail to count on NIM or Raiders espsecially, its allways a minority and therefore 6.0 was nearly perfect. It focuses on the mayority and many of those want an improvement of there gear with the content they enjoy and not what the devs and raiders think they should do.

Edited by Master_Morak

Hi folks, here is my review of 7.0. Not all is bad, there's definitley some positive aspects, but also a lot of bad design choices. Be prepared for a bit of a wall of text:

The Good (these a great things witch bring a lot of fun):

- Shared tagging, definitely an improvment

- Disentangling story and gameplay

- Galactic season 2, improvment to season 1

- Second combat style

- Loadouts

- New story

Neutral (things witch aren't so important to me):

- New Interface (as long as others don't suffer from it)

- Removal of social points, valor or darkvslight

The Bad (not gamebreaking for me but definitley bad):

- Missing weapons outfitter (hopefully it comes fast)

- New story is quite short (hopefully we see a lot more in a short time)

- No mods for weapons and armors

- Number of currencies and caps on currencies, for some I'm always at the cap

- Only small portion of content on the groupfinder

The Ugly (bad, bad, bad):

- The many, many bugs

- Removal of renown, it was nice to see the numbers go up even if you're max lvl and you got some stuff or currencies

- Gear grind is to complex, especially for new players, see how long the gearing guide on vulkk is

- Stats capping, it's definitley a nerf and makes the grind for new irating for most players redundant

- Companions not working good and being capped

- The daily and weekly removal of quests from our log

As you can see, the negative aspects outweight the positive aspects. 6.0 IMO was the best gearing system we had so far. To let this expansion/update shine, from my point of view, you need to alter the capping system, bring back renown, simplify the gearing system (only one or two currencies like pve and pvp currency), higher the caps on currencies, make the weapons outfitter work, bring back all content on groupfinder and last but not least bring us much more content.

There's a lot of work to be done, but there's also hope IF these changes are made...

We did make key changes to the way we approach rewards in 7.0. We rotate content (including Flashpoints available in Groupfinder and Weekly missions for Daily Areas) for a couple of reasons. First, it allows all reward calendars to be aligned. Conquests, Galactic Seasons, and the Featured weekly content all line up, which means players can make progress towards multiple rewards at once.

Second, we heard loud and clear from 6.0 feedback that farming one particular piece of content (like Hammer Station, or a particular Weekly above all others) because it was the fastest way to gear up, but it just wasn't fun. In 7.0, we rotate content to mix and match some of the shortest and longest flashpoints and weeklies each week. As a result, there is more variety in the type of content the gearing system rewards players for completing. Instead of gathering a sheer quantity of items to sort through to find an upgrade in 6.0, which required more and more efficient runs to maximize the amount of gear acquired, we moved to a system that virtually guarantees upgrades to gear by just doing the featured content each week. At the end of the day it results in a quality over quantity philosophy.

When content is not in rotation, it is still available and rewards are still offered, but to a lesser degree. For example, all Flashpoints are accessible by walking into their entrance, however since Groupfinder is the delivery method for ensuring upgrade rewards, not all Flashpoints are available in Groupfinder each week unless they are featured.

For Daily missions, we have Weekly mission wrappers ('do 6 dailies') for each area, which are the delivery method for larger rewards. These weekly missions are only available when the rewards are available, which is if they are featured that week. However all of the dailies associated with these missions are still available at all times, and still reward items relevant to gearing or upgrading gear, just at a slower rate than the featured content.

All of that boils down to featured content is about aligning different reward tracks such as conquest and Galactic Seasons, plus mixing up content with short and long completion times together to prevent some of the issues that awarding all content equally brought to the table in the 6.0 era.

I know that doesn't address being shoe-horned into content, but I hope it does provide the insight as to why we decided to make these changes. What I have noticed in-game is there are a lot more players in the areas, and with share tagging of mobs, I'm finding I'm not waiting around for respawns.

The problem is nobody gives a damn about calendars and it shouldn't effect in-game activity's. In the end you are messing up someone else's calendar the people who pay for the game to continue for instance. There is a saying that says the customer is always right and the backlash over 7.0 is proving it correct despite all of your objections.

If you want something like top tier gear, you should have to do something a bit more challenging than solo content. Brings more people to raiding which means more operations for us, or at least that's the ideal.

Once again, I disagree.

I guess if you do content like nim raiding to get gear then what you say may makes sense. But if you get gear so that you can play the content it doesn't.

In my case, I won't play the content if I don't have the gear.

So, does the requirement really bring more people to raiding, or does it shrink the pool of people willing to raid? I guess time will tell. In the meantime, at least you don't have to worry about seeing me participate in nim ops anymore.

Edited by Exly

Once again, I disagree.

I guess if you do content like nim raiding to get gear then what you say may makes sense. But if you get gear so that you can play the content it doesn't.

In my case, I won't play the content if I don't have the gear.

So, does the requirement really bring more people to raiding, or does it shrink the pool of people willing to raid? I guess time will tell. In the meantime, at least you don't have to worry about seeing me participate in nim ops anymore.

While not a direct reply to yourself this does go along with the topic

I posted this idea in another thread but I thought it has a point to play here too in trying to please both crowds regarding gearing.

Since those that play NIM and the harder mode content dislike the static gear rewards that the get, I suggest bringing back the modable gear for that content since they will see the most from being able to min/max their gear.

For veteran, story mode content and a revamped renown system offer gear of the same irating as what NIM could get but they would be the static gear only, giving none optimised stats but still offering a boost to solo players.

It would be a win to both groups of players, there would be a continual sense of progression as you increase your irating to the current max cap but hard mode content will still have a slight edge because they can min max and get the most out of it anyway.

While not a direct reply to yourself this does go along with the topic

I posted this idea in another thread but I thought it has a point to play here too in trying to please both crowds regarding gearing.

Since those that play NIM and the harder mode content dislike the static gear rewards that the get, I suggest bringing back the modable gear for that content since they will see the most from being able to min/max their gear.

For veteran, story mode content and a revamped renown system offer gear of the same irating as what NIM could get but they would be the static gear only, giving none optimised stats but still offering a boost to solo players.

It would be a win to both groups of players, there would be a continual sense of progression as you increase your irating to the current max cap but hard mode content will still have a slight edge because they can min max and get the most out of it anyway.

That does sound like a very good compromise. The raiders get their carrot and everyone gets to have very good gear still.

The problem is nobody gives a damn about calendars and it shouldn't effect in-game activity's. In the end you are messing up someone else's calendar the people who pay for the game to continue for instance. There is a saying that says the customer is always right and the backlash over 7.0 is proving it correct despite all of your objections.

I don't care much about aligning calendars either, unless the misalignment was having some sort of impact on server performance on live that didn't materialize on PTS for some reason.

Since the Devs don't respect our collectively wise counsel, why should we respect their desire for minimizing any technical administrative issues they'd like to smooth over?

We did make key changes to the way we approach rewards in 7.0. We rotate content (including Flashpoints available in Groupfinder and Weekly missions for Daily Areas) for a couple of reasons. First, it allows all reward calendars to be aligned. Conquests, Galactic Seasons, and the Featured weekly content all line up, which means players can make progress towards multiple rewards at once.

Second, we heard loud and clear from 6.0 feedback that farming one particular piece of content (like Hammer Station, or a particular Weekly above all others) because it was the fastest way to gear up, but it just wasn't fun. In 7.0, we rotate content to mix and match some of the shortest and longest flashpoints and weeklies each week. As a result, there is more variety in the type of content the gearing system rewards players for completing. Instead of gathering a sheer quantity of items to sort through to find an upgrade in 6.0, which required more and more efficient runs to maximize the amount of gear acquired, we moved to a system that virtually guarantees upgrades to gear by just doing the featured content each week. At the end of the day it results in a quality over quantity philosophy.

When content is not in rotation, it is still available and rewards are still offered, but to a lesser degree. For example, all Flashpoints are accessible by walking into their entrance, however since Groupfinder is the delivery method for ensuring upgrade rewards, not all Flashpoints are available in Groupfinder each week unless they are featured.

For Daily missions, we have Weekly mission wrappers ('do 6 dailies') for each area, which are the delivery method for larger rewards. These weekly missions are only available when the rewards are available, which is if they are featured that week. However all of the dailies associated with these missions are still available at all times, and still reward items relevant to gearing or upgrading gear, just at a slower rate than the featured content.

All of that boils down to featured content is about aligning different reward tracks such as conquest and Galactic Seasons, plus mixing up content with short and long completion times together to prevent some of the issues that awarding all content equally brought to the table in the 6.0 era.

I know that doesn't address being shoe-horned into content, but I hope it does provide the insight as to why we decided to make these changes. What I have noticed in-game is there are a lot more players in the areas, and with share tagging of mobs, I'm finding I'm not waiting around for respawns.

Lmfao. You guys are clueless, if you think trying to form a group and walk into a a flashpoint is better than just filtering in groupfinder your nuts. This is the post I've really been waiting for, 100% proof that none of you actually play the game and just listen to some 6.0 forum babies. I have a question, why do you think we'd care about gear with this expansion if theres no content that requires it? Imagine launching an 'expansion' with a full cinematic trailer watched by millions and zero new content ( I don't count Elom, it's a simple *** FP I could make in a day)

It's all truly embarrassing, and you clearly have no idea how to deal with the pushback. Look at 3.0 and look at 7.0, how do you get worse at your job over 10 years? You need to be fired imo.

Lmfao. You guys are clueless, if you think trying to form a group and walk into a a flashpoint is better than just filtering in groupfinder your nuts. This is the post I've really been waiting for, 100% proof that none of you actually play the game and just listen to some 6.0 forum babies. I have a question, why do you think we'd care about gear with this expansion if theres no content that requires it? Imagine launching an 'expansion' with a full cinematic trailer watched by millions and zero new content ( I don't count Elom, it's a simple *** FP I could make in a day)

It's all truly embarrassing, and you clearly have no idea how to deal with the pushback. Look at 3.0 and look at 7.0, how do you get worse at your job over 10 years? You need to be fired imo.

It really is amazing in a very bad way, isn't it? They have destroyed groupfinder, they have wrecked leveling in terms of longer waits between abilities, thereby making it more difficult for lower level players to do higher level FPs. Imagine you're an 80 and you're running Umbara with three 20s in your group. Be ready for many, many wipes.

I haven't been running many FPs since 7.0 dropped for two reasons: the Hammer spam from two years of 6.0 means that I don't have much memory of the other FPs--especially the higher level ones since its been so long since I ran Battle of Rishi or Blood Hunt or Kaon, etc. I am also not interested in getting into one of the later FPs with lowbies that lack the power to do much, and I will always be concentrated on by mobs because I'm the lvl 80 wrecking ball. I will only generally join an FP if all players are at least 65+.

Why would anyone think having Fleet being peppered with "LFG [insert flashpoint abbrev here]" again is a QoL improvement? What if you want to run Battle of Rishi or another one of the FPs that aren't accessible via fleet? Is chat on Fleet, Rishi and Odessen going to drown in numerous LFG requests for multiple groups for the same FPs? Doing this to groupfinder is monumentally illogical.

Edited by robwettengel

Removing higher level Modifications is bad business. I was excited to to buy a new lightsaber, but when I found out that modifications stop at 306 it was disappointing😔. Then I thought I could make my higher level lightsaber, that I got from flashpoints, look like the one I wanted to buy. Then again I was disappointed 😔. This is bad business, because now I don’t want the new lightsaber, so I don’t spend money 🚫💵. Make modification vendors for higher level mods or let us change the look of our weapons. Edited by GoetiaMana

i cancelled my sub a month ago & i thought maybe in the next 4-5 weeks the "expansion" will grow on me , but...ugh.. f*** this game, there's nothing good about this thing now. combat styles are highly overrated...

snip

thank you for confirming what i thought a couple of years ago.. you don't even play/know your own game lmao

Edited by meddani