Roadmap

dewayne

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely a Road Map for the game is only needed if the game is actually going somewhere?

Do we have any evidence of that?

Road Maps have highlighted intents that have never even been half met when delivery day comes around.

The last Road Map mentioned making Conquest more fun, more accessible and less grindy - the implemented changes did the EXACT OPPOSITE. In fact pretty much all of the major changes in the last few years have seen players leave in droves.

Does the Game actually need a Road Map for us to know its circling the drain?

And I say that as someone who has just resubbed for three months because I genuinely can't walk away from this game, no matter how bad Bioware make it.

Nothing is perfect, I know that, but this IS Star Wars right, worst case scenario for this game should be a 7/10.

Right now would anyone honestly give it more than 5/10?

I might, on a good day get to 4/10, but that's it.

But I'm an optimist at heart, so I hang around.

All The Best

The way I read this part is this...we got 6.0 coming out and can't reveal anything about it yet.

I really don't know where in the text you quoted you found any indication about 6.0, but I admire your optimism. ;)

well, writing's on the wall, isn't it? It has been for some time, but it's painfully apparent that there's no point in continuing to sub right now if you're not into Ops.

But, but... isn't that exactly what we, the players, wanted after KotFE came out? Less story, more real MMO content? Aren't we all glad and excited? 2017 and 2018 have been so great with all the updates and new things. How horrible would it have been if they would have continued delivering monthly chapters. No one would have wanted that.

/s

As for Eric's quote regarding reasons for not having a roadmap: None of those reasons is actually a reason for not having a roadmap. I appreciate his latest comment though. A little bit of information goes a long way.

I'm really hoping the companion fixes are incoming with this. My Imperial's are all still missing Koth as of starting Ossus (though they can at least get him back via the Odessan terminal) but both my Warrior's have lost Quinn since starting the Ossus mission, and he isn't available on the Odessan terminal. Either bring him back, make him accessible, or stick him on the terminal so I can retrieve him. Heck, I'd replay through Iokath if it meant fixing it so my Warrior's could have him back. :(

both my Warrior's have lost Quinn since starting the Ossus mission, and he isn't available on the Odessan terminal. Either bring him back, make him accessible, or stick him on the terminal so I can retrieve him. Heck, I'd replay through Iokath if it meant fixing it so my Warrior's could have him back. :(

Yea it seems Quinn got same option than players got to choose side at start of Ossus and somehow picked repuclic. He appeared on my republic characters who never had him in the first place. I assure he is safe and fed and all. I even gave him my label maker to keep him busy while waiting sith warriors to come and get him home. Poor guy seems too confused to send him back in shuttle on his own. :confused:

No apology necessary, not trying to be frustrating but I realize that my response was definitely missing some details. I apologize for the lack of communication there, let me try to add some clarity on the Companion stuff (plus set bonuses you asked about in a later post).

What makes a lot of the Companions and Contacts information complicated is that there are so many different circumstances a player can be in currently. Some of the issues were resolved so they wouldn't happen after 5.10a, but the people who were in those weird states weren't resolved retroactively. Other issues still need to be fixed, plus ensuring we retroactively address anyone who was in that state.

I know this is where some of the frustration is coming from since I have not communicated all of these details on what is being fixed, or not, and when. I still don't have that information for you today, but that is because some of these fixes are very complex and they are still actively being tested so I can't definitively speak on whether they are fixed or not yet.

What I can tell you is that I am quite literally working on 5.10.1 patch notes right now and this includes making sure to capture these changes (ex: just captured a note for the companion and contact list properly listing whether Acina / Malcolm is alive or dead after being mixed up in 5.10 for some players). I will do what I can to ensure that the notes capture as many of these situations as possible so I can communicate to all of you what is being fixed. This will also help after 5.10.1 is out the door so we can ensure we catch anything we miss. I will try to get this list captured and posted before the week is out.

As for set bonuses not stacking, that is planned to be fixed in 5.10.1.

Now that we are close to 5.10.1 going out the door I will work on communicating out more about the fixes you can expect (or not expect) to see with release.

Thanks!

-eric

Holy shi......

Ya can't say I didn't call it, Eric! I ain't sayen nuthen! ;)

:csw_bluesaber: & :w_big_grin: Lightsabers & Wookies.

Well done, pal.

Holy shi......

Ya can't say I didn't call it, Eric! I ain't sayen nuthen! ;)

:csw_bluesaber: & :w_big_grin: Lightsabers & Wookies.

Well done, pal.

Go fix your poor use of words in the PVP section, Grim. You just got back from one vacation are you aiming for another already? Your humongous walls of texts have been missed. rofl :rak_01:

Unfortunately this all sounds like story players are going to end up going another 6+ months with nothing to do. With companions messed up from 5.10, the constant freezing on Ossus during the dailies, gearing that's not friendly to solo/story players and no new story...well, writing's on the wall, isn't it? It has been for some time, but it's painfully apparent that there's no point in continuing to sub right now if you're not into Ops.

I have already pretty much stopped playing except for once a week to do some decorating on our guild ship and stronghold due to a promise I made to the guild. Other than that I started playing another game due to everything they are doing now. I am not a pvp player and nothing they can do will ever get me to do that. If my boyfriend can't get me to do pvp then their chances are lower than 0. As far as operations not likely either. I did enough of those at the beginning but there is no way I am going back to those now.

Edited by casirabit

Go fix your poor use of words in the PVP section, Grim. You just got back from one vacation are you aiming for another already? Your humongous walls of texts have been missed. rofl :rak_01:

Thanks for the heads up pal. ;)

I'm doomed either way. It's inevitable :rod_wink_g:

I'll just enjoy it while it lasts heh.

26 hours and counting. Not sure I'll see 48. Fingers crossed =p

Thanks for the heads up pal. ;)

I'm doomed either way. It's inevitable :rod_wink_g:

I'll just enjoy it while it lasts heh.

26 hours and counting. Not sure I'll see 48. Fingers crossed =p

LoL, NOOOO... don’t do it!

We need a “Save Ferris” movement for Grim

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I have already pretty much stopped playing except for once a week to do some decorating on our guild ship and stronghold due to a promise I made to the guild. Other than that I started playing another game due to everything they are doing now. I am not a pvp player and nothing they can do will ever get me to do that. If my boyfriend can't get me to do pvp then their chances are lower than 0. As far as operations not likely either. I did enough of those at the beginning but there is no way I am going back to those now.

Yeah, my sub is up in less than a month, IIRC. There's really no incentive to remain subbed so I'm letting it go. I've come close to unsubbing before, but since there's nothing on the horizon, and nothing to look forward to, there's no point in continuing to pay them. I'm just trying to get toons leveled as high as I can, buy as much stuff and as many character perks as I can now to avoid the credit cap issues once I drop to preferred. Pretty sad, but it is what it is. They're trying to squeeze everyone into that one Op and boss, and MM flashpoints, and all they're doing is squeezing players out of the game.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

Hey Eric, thanks for the updates and looking forward to reading more future posts from you that keep us in touch with what is happening with the game.

I just got one question, any idea if you guys plan to make mods that are locked in gears removable, or are these going to remain locked in and will locked-in modded gears be the norm from here on out?

You're too nice sometimes, Lhance. To quote our dear friend:

Thank you all for your continued feedback. Bigger itemization changes will come and we will definitely talk through them with you when they get here (not soon™). Thanks all.

-eric

My assumption has been that they are so extradordinarily out of touch with players desires that they think people play explicitly FOR pointless stupid grindfests, in conjunction with a combination of gross incompetence, low manning, and the simple fact that every one thing they touch breaks ten others.

Seriously, they'll unbind the enhancement on the new gear and suddenly you won't be able to progress story or some such nonsense. They can't seem to fix one problem without creating 15 others, so they add gear contrary to all logic.

There has been no level cap increase or difficulty changes. Apparently Mr. Kanneg wanted a new MM op, so despite the stated fact that they purposefully scaled gods to be "like MM", they added it. Then nade the patently stupid claim that the new gear was necessary to complete the new op. News flash - you either had a group capable of completing the new op, or you still don't. The new gear helped all of 0.0005% of the player base, pissing off many more, and probably the majority just doesn't care.

But what do i know. Pointless grindfests are apparently what swtor players enjoy according to Mr. Musco et al. And thus, detracting from the pointlessness of the grind runs players off, right? The more random, pointless, and boring the grind, the more people it attracts! See Musco, I'm on to you. The more stupidly pointless the excuse for content is, the better!

Edited by KendraP

No apology necessary, not trying to be frustrating but I realize that my response was definitely missing some details. I apologize for the lack of communication there, let me try to add some clarity on the Companion stuff (plus set bonuses you asked about in a later post).

What makes a lot of the Companions and Contacts information complicated is that there are so many different circumstances a player can be in currently. Some of the issues were resolved so they wouldn't happen after 5.10a, but the people who were in those weird states weren't resolved retroactively. Other issues still need to be fixed, plus ensuring we retroactively address anyone who was in that state.

I know this is where some of the frustration is coming from since I have not communicated all of these details on what is being fixed, or not, and when. I still don't have that information for you today, but that is because some of these fixes are very complex and they are still actively being tested so I can't definitively speak on whether they are fixed or not yet.

What I can tell you is that I am quite literally working on 5.10.1 patch notes right now and this includes making sure to capture these changes (ex: just captured a note for the companion and contact list properly listing whether Acina / Malcolm is alive or dead after being mixed up in 5.10 for some players). I will do what I can to ensure that the notes capture as many of these situations as possible so I can communicate to all of you what is being fixed. This will also help after 5.10.1 is out the door so we can ensure we catch anything we miss. I will try to get this list captured and posted before the week is out.

As for set bonuses not stacking, that is planned to be fixed in 5.10.1.

Now that we are close to 5.10.1 going out the door I will work on communicating out more about the fixes you can expect (or not expect) to see with release.

Thanks!

-eric

Not that getting the "Companions and Contacts" window straightened out isn't important, but it feels more important to get Companions functioning properly again. Things like companions not following combat and staying out of range (and then warping to catch up when you finish combat) should really be fixed before focusing on UI display issues.

Is there any word about fixing Companion AI bugs that were introduced in 5.10 in 5.10.1? Thanks.

Unfortunately this all sounds like story players are going to end up going another 6+ months with nothing to do. With companions messed up from 5.10, the constant freezing on Ossus during the dailies, gearing that's not friendly to solo/story players and no new story...well, writing's on the wall, isn't it? It has been for some time, but it's painfully apparent that there's no point in continuing to sub right now if you're not into Ops.

No offence? but this is an MMO, I love doing ops but I also enjoy the solo content, but id rather see a smaller story, and 2 new ops in an update anyday, if you wanna have a solo experience, play a single player game, not an mmo

Is 5.10.1 comming out at the 12.02 ?

A statment would be nice.

https://gyazo.com/6144593c7c56b27326073dec5a220df0

They did make a statement. On Twitter. And it wasn't hard to deduce the release date for 5.10.1 once they updated the in-game events page. Double rewards start on the 19th. Recent trends have had double reward events coming one week after updates/patches. Ergo, 5.10.1 was coming the 12th.

Oh, but wait, I'm sure someone is going to come back and say they don't use Twitter so how are they supposed to know this. The great thing is you don't have to use Twitter, you don't even need a Twitter account, to check SWTOR's Twitter feed. Here, I'll even give you the link:

(yes, it will ask you to log in, just ignore that). Just bookmark that and you'll be able to get these notices about updates/patches, downtime updates that can't get posted to the forums when the forums are down (hint: they post to Twitter about server status and the servers being back up after a downtime before they post to the forums), and many other notices that frequently only get posted to Twitter or that will appear on their Twitter feed before they appear on the forums.

Yea it seems Quinn got same option than players got to choose side at start of Ossus and somehow picked repuclic. He appeared on my republic characters who never had him in the first place. I assure he is safe and fed and all. I even gave him my label maker to keep him busy while waiting sith warriors to come and get him home. Poor guy seems too confused to send him back in shuttle on his own. :confused:

Make sure to treat him nicely, one of my Warrior's killed the last person who kept him from them. ;) In all seriousness I expect I lost him because the game either default to choices as if I'd skipped Iokath, or just dark choices in general (i.e killed him.) Just annoying because they both still have Elara so clearly the game recognizes them doing Iokath. Just apparently, not in the way they actually did it. :o

No offence? but this is an MMO, I love doing ops but I also enjoy the solo content, but id rather see a smaller story, and 2 new ops in an update anyday, if you wanna have a solo experience, play a single player game, not an mmo

This is MMORPG not just MMO. The One that where RPG part has always been larger and better made than in other big MMORPG's. Story is where Bioware thrives. They are really really good at it and compared to other MMORPG's the story is the one that gives SWTOR it's cutting edge. I play many MMORPG's and if SWTOR would not have it's story and storycontent i doubt i would be spending any time here. They have also said in several streams that story is what people play the most. I would be ready to bet some credits that if they would go with more OPS less story route number of players would start to decline even from the numbers they are now. Serving the lowest percentage of players while leaving the rest without things to do is not very good busines model (just look how it worked with the Wildstar).

That being said i want to stress i am not sayng having OPS is not important too. I am all for giving content to all different kind of playstyles and preferences. All i am saying that i would never ever recommend them to minimize on delivering content on the exact part of the game that makes them shine compared to others.

And btw, solo experience in MMORPG and single player game are completely different things, serve completely different needs and are in no way always appealing to same audience.

My assumption has been that they are so extradordinarily out of touch with players desires that they think people play explicitly FOR pointless stupid grindfests, in conjunction with a combination of gross incompetence, low manning, and the simple fact that every one thing they touch breaks ten others.

I used to have that same sentiment, but my perspective has changed. I think due to lack of resources, primarily developers on the game has resulted in the present form of SWTOR.

Due to lack of workers, they are forced to put out little content compared to other MMOs of similar size (just compare them).

Also because they let go the original developers probably 6+ years ago, they don't have enough that are able to navigate through the old code and properly work in the new code on top of the old without creating bugs. Whenever they pull something out, it seems to drag out tons of bugs with it.

You couple this all with mandating content and deadlines and this is what we got. They have to have a certain amount of product out, and due to a total lack of resources they simply are incapable of doing it at the same quality as the original chapters.

If you notice long time vets tend to be the less forgiving of the game, because we compare newer content with the old, which simply will never stand up to it.

If you ask newer players, most of them are enthralled with the game and see none of the problems only because they have not gone over every inch of the original chapters a hundred times and are far less reliant on the new content to keep them engaged.

I won't say the newer devs are incompetent, I honestly don't know if it's 1-2 of them only on SWTOR, and I also don't know if they are shoehorned into doing certain changes to the game which most of us see as dumb. Like a gear grind that involves one Ops, and a rearranging of the gearing system after it had just been rearranged 2 years before. Surely most game developers would prefer to put their time into other things, but who knows except BW?

I understand now thanks to Jeff Nyman AKA Kryptonomic on these boards why the new stories don't really mesh well with the old chapters, they were old shelved pieces of stories that were not really meant to be tacked on to the first chapters in the manner that they were. They were incomplete.

Obviously to satiate the "story-mode" players, BW felt inclined to put out something for that niche so voila! You got what had been sitting on the shelves for years... Partially written stories that were not really meant to be added to the old stories the way they were.

I assume they simply had no writers available to do the masterful job that was done on the original chapters, and due to a lack of resources (again) they did the cheapest thing which was to use old material. Even if it was not really completed or made for what they were using it for.

To me this sounds like a BW issue, not an EA one. BW determines what work is done and what they spend their resources on. From how Kryptonomic made it sound EA gave BW a fairly decent leash to do their own thing, which I guess in some cases can be a bad thing, not a good thing if the studio manages it's affairs poorly which if this is all on point seems to be the case.

I am just trying to explain what I got from Jeff Nyman's pieces written about SWTOR on these forums and on his blog so some may not be exactly correct but this is all I got from his writings. He ought to write a book, I think it would find a small base of people who'd be interested in knowing what he knows especially about this game and how it began and eventually how it will end.

My perspective changed when I read Nyman's pieces. It actually made me feel a tad bit of pity for this game, and even for the devs left to try to work on it especially later on.

I even am starting to see that Eric has nothing to do with this stuff, and he is left with the daunting task of trying to remain positive when all of this is going on behind the scenes. Imagine how hard that would be? He has to balance between reporting things in a positive light to the players, yet at the same time try to relay the hundreds, literally hundreds of bugs and game problems from the players back to his directors who then decide what gets fixed and when. Perhaps a lot of Eric's silence is because he isn't given any information to tell? Who knows what the communication dynamic is there.

As we are seeing now, the more these new devs try to do, the more problems they end up having just because of the unfamiliar labyrynth of old code they seem to have to navigate through. Every little added change they do to the old stuff renders more problems and more bugs. I honestly wonder why they bother creating new gearing systems and such why not just leave the older coded stuff in instead of recreating the wheel which seems to inevitably breed a host of new bugs?

This makes me really doubt the new devs are doing all of this on their own accord, someone directs them and tells them what they want done and then the devs are tasked to have it done by a certain period of time. I believe these newer devs are placed in an impossible situation, and it's poor direction at the behest of BW directors making these devs do unnecessary work that then creates the plethora of problems they are encountering. Someone has coordinated the devs to do gear system change after gear system change ripping out old established non-bugged code only to shove in new gearing systems with new code that comes with tons of bugs which they don't know how to fix.

The game holds a special place in my heart, it always will. That being said I will always think about the potential lost more than anything. I believe they really squandered a once in a lifetime opportunity to have the best game on the planet paired with the most iconic and interesting sci-fi IP ever created. All my opinion of course. For anyone that managed to read this book, kudos. I didn't plan to write a novel today it just happened. :)