Roadmap

dewayne

I really dont care what is in 6.0 as that is another can of worms. Downloading pts is worthless to see if bug fixes are included, as they may not have even been loaded on the PTS server. This is on BW official forums so musco was responding on an official thread. It is his job to tell us what is happening. Telling us to take a long walk off of a short pier is not part of that.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really dont care what is in 6.0 as that is another can of worms. Downloading pts is worthless to see if bug fixes are included, as they may not have even been loaded on the PTS server. This is on BW official forums so musco was responding on an official thread. It is his job to tell us what is happening. Telling us to take a long walk off of a short pier is not part of that.

I wrote a scathing post to Eric, but then realized he was writing in an unofficial thread here and deleted it.

I agree that it shouldn't be the players responsibility to go to PTS and figure out what might be coming for content later on the game. Also, I don't like when the community manager uses ambiguous words like "possibly," "maybe" and "probably." He should know, not wonder himself at the answers to these questions lol.

The devs in charge of having to fix this **** have to be stressing out. That being said, why was 5.10 even brought into the game with so many bugs? Clearly no kind of testing was done to ensure it was going to seamlessly be added. All of the trouble could have been avoided by just not adding 5.10 until it was really ready. I imagine it's a matter of having deadlines met, and who cares if it's faulty. Just as long as it is done.

I just think the dude is overwhelmed with the number of things broken with 5.10. I mean they added this 5.10 patch, and it seems to have dug up every old bug and brought along new bugs to boot. That don't excuse poor communication though.

I think BW could do a far better job at acknowledging their bugs, in detail so people are fully aware that they know about them. I also think BW could communicate more frequently with posters just to keep some sort of contact going so it doesn't feel like posts are being written on a personal blog.

My issue is they fail at communicating and this has always made the technical issues in the game 100 times worse. They seem to never learn this, either. if they recognized and acknowledged things that were broke, things people didn't like, that alone would give the players a sense that BW is listening. Even if BW disagreed with the players postings, fine. Just interact with the players!

Edited by Lhancelot

Maybe that's your expectation - but it's not everyone's.

People SPEND their money for whatever reason they want, but the only thing they are PAYING for is full access because BW is only CHARGING for full access. BW is not charging a subscription fee for PVP only, or for new content, and they certainly never promised any of those would continue to be updated.

Ultimately, the company selling the product or service decides what is being paid for, based on what product or services they are willing to provide to you.

Hey folks,

Right now I don't believe there are any plans for a formal roadmap in the coming weeks. To calm any concerns, that isn't because there isn't stuff happening this year, but we have been making an effort to give you more visibility into content sooner via PTS. With that in mind, here are some details:

• 5.10.1 is on PTS now, which you already know. That will come out in the next couple of weeks, more details on timing this week.
  • After 5.10.1 is out the door, look for details on 5.10.2 going to PTS.
  • We are still locking down details so I can't announce anything just yet, but we fully intend to be at SW Celebration this year. Which seems like a great place to reveal more details on what is coming this year.

Thanks all.

-eric

Here is the middle thing for you until content is released. I can't wait for another hour of content that includes kill crap half the time with a horrible story that was badly writen and makes no sense. seems only thing that happens in swtor is war from day one. Only reasonable thing from 5.10 was going back to the roots.

Shame that there isn't another star wars mmo so you ppl would actually put some effort into this game... and shame on EA as well, bad decisions everywhere.

I wrote a scathing post to Eric, but then realized he was writing in an unofficial thread here and deleted it.

I agree that it shouldn't be the players responsibility to go to PTS and figure out what might be coming for content later on the game. Also, I don't like when the community manager uses ambiguous words like "possibly," "maybe" and "probably." He should know, not wonder himself at the answers to these questions lol.

The devs in charge of having to fix this **** have to be stressing out. That being said, why was 5.10 even brought into the game with so many bugs? Clearly no kind of testing was done to ensure it was going to seamlessly be added. All of the trouble could have been avoided by just not adding 5.10 until it was really ready. I imagine it's a matter of having deadlines met, and who cares if it's faulty. Just as long as it is done.

I just think the dude is overwhelmed with the number of things broken with 5.10. I mean they added this 5.10 patch, and it seems to have dug up every old bug and brought along new bugs to boot. That don't excuse poor communication though.

I think BW could do a far better job at acknowledging their bugs, in detail so people are fully aware that they know about them. I also think BW could communicate more frequently with posters just to keep some sort of contact going so it doesn't feel like posts are being written on a personal blog.

My issue is they fail at communicating and this has always made the technical issues in the game 100 times worse. They seem to never learn this, either. if they recognized and acknowledged things that were broke, things people didn't like, that alone would give the players a sense that BW is listening. Even if BW disagreed with the players postings, fine. Just interact with the players!

All of this... plus he’s probably pulling Anthem duty too.

<<Dasty the Hutt has had a rough week; several Gamorrean guards rebelled and I had to find replacements. Do you know how hard it is to find good help to throw into the pit these days? >>

<<Dasty relishes in the fact that he has a big huge beautiful bottle of unopened Chopin vodka. Incoming adrenal!>>

I neither need nor desire people telling me why I subscribe or what my subscription entitles me to enjoy. The only thing that matters is whether or not I am happy.

Unhappy = less money for Bioware Austin.

With that most profound of a statement that is so shocking in its originality and profundity...

I do not care if you think my expectations are unrealistic. I expect new content. If you have a problem with that...

<<insert comment that will get me an infraction>>

<<ahh, martini now properly chilled -- incoming adrenal>> :rak_04:

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

<<Dasty the Hutt has had a rough week; several Gamorrean guards rebelled and I had to find replacements. Do you know how hard it is to find good help to throw into the pit these days? >>

<<Dasty relishes in the fact that he has a big huge beautiful bottle of unopened Chopin vodka. Incoming adrenal!>>

I neither need nor desire people telling me why I subscribe or what my subscription entitles me to enjoy. The only thing that matters is whether or not I am happy.

Unhappy = less money for Bioware Austin.

With that most profound of a statement that is so shocking in its originality and profundity...

I do not care if you think my expectations are unrealistic. I expect new content. If you have a problem with that...

<<insert comment that will get me an infraction>>

<<ahh, martini now properly chilled>>

Dasty

The Hut understands it perfectly. If BW wants to continue to get their customers to pay money, they have to keep them at least moderately satisfied if not happy. It is after all, a business. One that they dont seem to be doing very well at the moment.

• Dev Post
Sorry to be a bit blunt here, but how about finding out and telling us instead of the mystery info. How about doing that community manager role for a bit and converse with the developers on our behalf to find out what is being fixed and what is not (and preferably an explanation as to why not).

Stop making this like pulling teeth, its exhausting.

No apology necessary, not trying to be frustrating but I realize that my response was definitely missing some details. I apologize for the lack of communication there, let me try to add some clarity on the Companion stuff (plus set bonuses you asked about in a later post).

What makes a lot of the Companions and Contacts information complicated is that there are so many different circumstances a player can be in currently. Some of the issues were resolved so they wouldn't happen after 5.10a, but the people who were in those weird states weren't resolved retroactively. Other issues still need to be fixed, plus ensuring we retroactively address anyone who was in that state.

I know this is where some of the frustration is coming from since I have not communicated all of these details on what is being fixed, or not, and when. I still don't have that information for you today, but that is because some of these fixes are very complex and they are still actively being tested so I can't definitively speak on whether they are fixed or not yet.

What I can tell you is that I am quite literally working on 5.10.1 patch notes right now and this includes making sure to capture these changes (ex: just captured a note for the companion and contact list properly listing whether Acina / Malcolm is alive or dead after being mixed up in 5.10 for some players). I will do what I can to ensure that the notes capture as many of these situations as possible so I can communicate to all of you what is being fixed. This will also help after 5.10.1 is out the door so we can ensure we catch anything we miss. I will try to get this list captured and posted before the week is out.

As for set bonuses not stacking, that is planned to be fixed in 5.10.1.

Now that we are close to 5.10.1 going out the door I will work on communicating out more about the fixes you can expect (or not expect) to see with release.

Thanks!

-eric

Now that we are close to 5.10.1 going out the door I will work on communicating out more about the fixes you can expect (or not expect) to see with release.

-eric

Hey Eric, thanks for the updates and looking forward to reading more future posts from you that keep us in touch with what is happening with the game.

I just got one question, any idea if you guys plan to make mods that are locked in gears removable, or are these going to remain locked in and will locked-in modded gears be the norm from here on out?

Hey Eric, thanks for the updates and looking forward to reading more future posts from you that keep us in touch with what is happening with the game.

I just got one question, any idea if you guys plan to make mods that are locked in gears removable, or are these going to remain locked in and will locked-in modded gears be the norm from here on out?

I second this. I would also like some clarification on the locked location slots for mod/enhancement/barrel/Sabre

This was a silly change and has upset the vast majority of pvpers. Some clarification on if it will be changed back would be appreciated or if it is here to stay, some explanation for the change is needed.

Edited by Totemdancer

What makes a lot of the Companions and Contacts information complicated is that there are so many different circumstances a player can be in currently. Some of the issues were resolved so they wouldn't happen after 5.10a, but the people who were in those weird states weren't resolved retroactively. Other issues still need to be fixed, plus ensuring we retroactively address anyone who was in that state.

That's really nice !

Is there also any hope to sometimes do something about Vector's eyes bug that should look like this in one of his romance cutscene but instead stay completely black ? That would be really nice if something could be done about that as well :)

I think he told you where to look. assuming of course, those changes were in the PTS build that was tested.

Speaking as someone who did a fair amount of testing on PTS for various things, bug fixes anticipated for a coming update are almost never part of the builds. Furthermore, PTS often has bugs from previous versions of LIVE, already fixed on LIVE, but linger on PTS. And bugs which are on PTS, new or old, quite often make it into LIVE … case in point, the set bonus not stacking issue. They're different development pipelines, whatever that means. I take it to mean that:

1. Making PTS isn't just as simple as copying whatever is on LIVE service at that moment and then adding in the new scripts and subroutines and calls that are part of the content for testing
  2. It also isn't as simple as copying the internal, development environment that they use, but I get the impression its more like a copy of that environment than LIVE
  3. I do know that different developers create their stuff for various areas and then submit their stuff for "the build," whether that's a LIVE build or a PTS build. These builds are prepared at some specific time intervals/deadlines and things "don't make the cut" sometimes but are planned to be in LIVE.
  4. There are devs and there are engineers, and sometimes bugs can be fixed by things Devs do and some are things only the engineers can fix. The Engineers have been working on the component de-select bug on GSF since, well, 11 months ago, if not longer, for example.

Aside from things extensively reported on PTS, its not a huge surprise to me anymore when a patch is full of bugs. The only surprise are the big ones extensively reported, for example the set bonus. There was even one large bug that had been fixed on LIVE but crept back into LIVE after the 5.5 update, because it was on PTS. SWTOR's development is not a Hive mind like the Killiks or the Eternal Fleet. It seems to work more like, I dunno, the Senate? Which means, sometimes it doesn't work at all. I know absolutely nothing about software development these days, I haven't coded since PASCAL was the official language for the Advanced Placement Computer Science exam in high school. But, I can tell from your post you haven't done much testing on PTS.

Reading the the staff comments here and I'm left with the impression that Iraq had Muhammad Saeed al-Sahhaf the Information Minister.. Tor has Eric Musco the Community Manager.

Ossus was just interesting enough to renew my sub. It was the same with the spring content. Each time they cut it to the wire and give just enough to eek out a couple more months out of me. I can't be the only one. How many more times can they stretch things out before only a few diehards are left?

"They are lying every day. They are lying always, and mainly they are lying to their public opinion,"

"Right now I don't believe there are any plans for a formal roadmap in the coming weeks."

It's hard to tell the difference.

Thanks for the clarification, Eric! I'm looking forward to the patch notes. And I'm definitely looking forward to the fix for the set bonus bug. As a mostly solo player with limited playtime, I expect most of my characters will be wearing a mix of old and new armorings for quite a while.

Hey folks,

[*]We are still locking down details so I can't announce anything just yet, but we fully intend to be at SW Celebration this year. Which seems like a great place to reveal more details on what is coming this year.

Thanks all.

-eric

The way I read this part is this...we got 6.0 coming out and can't reveal anything about it yet.

Eriiiiiicccc,

What about the new equipment system? Nobody wants it and is annoyed. We are waiting for an adjustment. There are 3 adjustments.

1. Drop 252 pieces more often out of the boxes.

2. Give more crystals per quest.

3. Tie the crystals to the legacy.

Thanks

I believe there are quite a number of fixes for the companion issues from 5.10 coming in 5.10.1.

-eric

Glad to hear. I really would like to get started on Ossus too, but it hasn't been incredibly tempting to have my companions messed up with no acknowledgment of or ETA on a fix. Still have Hexid locked out from the Paxton Rall mess.

Edited by Pscyon

Unfortunately this all sounds like story players are going to end up going another 6+ months with nothing to do. With companions messed up from 5.10, the constant freezing on Ossus during the dailies, gearing that's not friendly to solo/story players and no new story...well, writing's on the wall, isn't it? It has been for some time, but it's painfully apparent that there's no point in continuing to sub right now if you're not into Ops.

No apology necessary, not trying to be frustrating but I realize that my response was definitely missing some details. I apologize for the lack of communication there, let me try to add some clarity on the Companion stuff (plus set bonuses you asked about in a later post).

I know this is where some of the frustration is coming from since I have not communicated all of these details on what is being fixed, or not, and when. I still don't have that information for you today, but that is because some of these fixes are very complex and they are still actively being tested so I can't definitively speak on whether they are fixed or not yet.

What I can tell you is that I am quite literally working on 5.10.1 patch notes right now and this includes making sure to capture these changes (ex: just captured a note for the companion and contact list properly listing whether Acina / Malcolm is alive or dead after being mixed up in 5.10 for some players). I will do what I can to ensure that the notes capture as many of these situations as possible so I can communicate to all of you what is being fixed. This will also help after 5.10.1 is out the door so we can ensure we catch anything we miss. I will try to get this list captured and posted before the week is out.

As for set bonuses not stacking, that is planned to be fixed in 5.10.1.

Thanks!

-eric

Thank you for the update. Personally i don't mind waiting for fixes, i won't even get angry if something cannot be fixed as long as i know what's going on.:)

Unfortunately this all sounds like story players are going to end up going another 6+ months with nothing to do. With companions messed up from 5.10, the constant freezing on Ossus during the dailies, gearing that's not friendly to solo/story players and no new story...well, writing's on the wall, isn't it? It has been for some time, but it's painfully apparent that there's no point in continuing to sub right now if you're not into Ops.

Storymode aint the only ones hurting. Even Ops players aren't doing well, considering the only thing they added was a single grind of one MM Ops for gears. How is that fun?

You guys that love to separate different niches as if one niche is getting hosed ought to exercise a little objectivity and realize every facet of this game has withered up and died a little with every passing year after 3.0.

This game has been handing down pain on it's entire playerbase for years like a BDSM slavemaster in full leathers equipped with a spiked whip. Anyone that has been here for 3+ years is nothing short of being a masochist.

This game has been handing down pain on it's entire playerbase for years like a BDSM slavemaster in full leathers equipped with a spiked whip. Anyone that has been here for 3+ years is nothing short of being a masochist.

Been a sub from the start and I wish it was anywhere near as much fun as this sounds!

Be safe