Why is Bioware so silent on major gear issues from 5.10?

Screaming_Ziva

Alternately, they're ignoring it because 95+% of the player base doesn't care one way or another because they already faceroll the content they actually play in 230-ish gear and barely touch regular PVP, much less ranked PVP.

Do not mistake "loud" for "numerous" when it comes to the player base.

I think you just made the opposite point that you were trying to. If 95% of the player-base doesn't care one way or another, that leave the 5% that are actually affected by the change, and since that is a tiny percentage the outcry means a huge percentage of those affected are complaining. This indicates that the changes were a very bad idea. Why would we want them to install changes that affect badly the only people who are affected by said changes.

I mean really, people who are not affected at all are not going to go onto the forums and post a new thread: "I'm totally unaffected by the latest changes, just thought I would let you know that, everyone who are unaffected post here."

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont know what your issues are with reg warzones and gear...

today i went into pvp with nothing on other than mainhand and leftside as i forgot my gear in the legacy cargo...

i was 2nd in dmg had 29 kills 1 death and my 11 medals (both teams had 2 heals)....

regs really arent about gear...

the average skill level in regs is just too bad for gear too matter( and i am not really a pvp player)

Bioware dose not care about it customers. The fact they were told that we would be unhappy with this new gear. They have lost there way and the Devs will say they listen to the players. But time after time they keep getting it wrong. It's getting to the point for us player to see the light and quit this P-O-S Of a game. Biofail you have failed us for the last time.

We don't want box gear grinds or rep gear grinds. OR any gear grinds at all we rather be doing other activities. As more people leave the more they will ask what is wrong and i doubt they will realize it there actions. Caused so many to quit.

They cant learn no one plays the game for gear progression and Grinds. We play to have fun and this is no fun any more. SIGNED THE ENTIRE GAME POPULATION.

i dont know what your issues are with reg warzones and gear...

today i went into pvp with nothing on other than mainhand and leftside as i forgot my gear in the legacy cargo...

i was 2nd in dmg had 29 kills 1 death and my 11 medals (both teams had 2 heals)....

regs really arent about gear...

the average skill level in regs is just too bad for gear too matter( and i am not really a pvp player)

i feel you may have spectacularly missed the point about gearing in pvp AND the point of warzones

Which is an impressive 2 for the price of 1 post

Well played

Talking of gear, I did a majorly stupid thing. I didn't realise the armouring we get at the start after talking to Lana would wipe off set bonuses for that gear. I had changed the armouring in the head and chest before I read the pop up window..... Pity there is no undo option for making numpty mistakes which I should have remembered... Stupid me. :o:rolleyes:

Regarding the gear, it's ironic it matches the enhancements I have already, like a uni mate at Bioware is secretly watching my story :p The annoying thing is the enhancements are not in a neat order. Crit Crit Crit, Acc Acc, Alac Alac Alac. Makes my OCD go into overdrive!!! :eek:

i feel you may have spectacularly missed the point about gearing in pvp AND the point of warzones

Which is an impressive 2 for the price of 1 post

Well played

so my fellow regstar.. then please explain to me how i miss the point of warzones if i am in it to win it?

and could you please disprove my point with numbers and facts? (that the avaerage skill level is just too bad for gear to matter)

thanks for the insult i hate you too

Edited by Opiklo

• Dev Post
The silence from Bioware on gear issues from 5.10 is ridiculous. There are two major issues with gear right now:

https://imgur.com/a/TzELWea

#1 - Mods and Enhancements are bound to a particular piece of gear (ie main hand, chest, etc). I understand the armoring pieces being piece bound but mods and enhancements being bound makes zero sense and doesn't allow anyone to min / max their gear.

#2 - The new set pieces do not mix and match with the old set pieces. Now, we basically have to farm six new pieces of gear before we can upgrade any of our armorings.

Whose brilliant ideas where these?

These are good questions, so let me try to address them.

1 - This is an intended change. That being said, we know there is definitely some friction from this change and so keep raising your concerns/feedback which I can pass to the team. We have made no secret of the fact that we know we are due for some big itemization changes to address a variety of issues around gearing. Please keep telling us what you would like to see in the future from gearing in SWTOR. We will continue to gather feedback and as we get into the next year, we will have active conversations with you about future gearing plans.

2 - This is a bug, I acknowledged it here. The reason we didn't fix it with today's patch is that addressing this issue is actually pretty substantial from our side. It will involve us not only fixing the items to work properly going forward, but we need to actually "change" the gear already in the wild to work together. That is the part that is challenging as we need to touch armorings that players are wearing without impacting the rest of their gear. We are working on a solution for this, but it is not something we could turn around in time for 5.10a.

Thank you all for your continued feedback. Bigger itemization changes will come and we will definitely talk through them with you when they get here (not soon™). Thanks all.

-eric

1 - This is an intended change. That being said, we know there is definitely some friction from this change and so keep raising your concerns/feedback which I can pass to the team. We have made no secret of the fact that we know we are due for some big itemization changes to address a variety of issues around gearing. Please keep telling us what you would like to see in the future from gearing in SWTOR. We will continue to gather feedback and as we get into the next year, we will have active conversations with you about future gearing plans.

why didnt you say that like 3 months ago..... people could have prepared for this...

you basically say that you knew we will get pissed and no one had the balls to tell us? such a weak move :(

but i guess the more grind the better?

i am done for now :(

Edited by Opiklo

2 - This is a bug, I acknowledged it here. The reason we didn't fix it with today's patch is that addressing this issue is actually pretty substantial from our side. It will involve us not only fixing the items to work properly going forward, but we need to actually "change" the gear already in the wild to work together. That is the part that is challenging as we need to touch armorings that players are wearing without impacting the rest of their gear. We are working on a solution for this, but it is not something we could turn around in time for 5.10a.

Thank you all for your continued feedback. Bigger itemization changes will come and we will definitely talk through them with you when they get here (not soon™). Thanks all.

-eric

Eric, can we just have 4.0 gearing back? No one wanted this grind for the sake of grind. This is not fun and further perpetuates the gear disparity in PvP.

-eric

This literally makes ZERO sense. You say we are due for big changes so you make the last tier before these changes an extra pain in the *** and super mega annoying to optimise???? It sounds like you have absolutely no clue why this was done, your reasoning behind it is absolutely flawed.

Edited by DarthYun

Personally I don't find this a satisfying change. The ability to swap non-armoring modifications around allowed us the "consolation prize" of being able to improve or otherwise optimize the worst modifications in our other items if we happened to get duplicate pieces that we don't need. It made the RNG element a lot more palatable. For longterm enjoyment of the progression system, I think reversing this change is a must.

-eric

seriously.. ***. how stupid can Devs get? that's our feedback. you are now telling us how to gear? we can't have any input on our own? are you looking to lose what remaining subs you have?

im done spending money in Cartel Market until this is fixed. at least I can speak with my wallet.

... the silence from bioware on gear issues from 5.10 is ridiculous.

There are two major issues with gear right now: https://imgur.com/a/tzelwea

#1 - mods and enhancements are bound to a particular piece of gear (ie main hand, chest, etc).

I understand the armoring pieces being piece bound but mods and enhancements being bound makes zero sense and doesn't allow anyone to min / max their gear.

1 - this is an intended change.

That being said, we know there is definitely some friction from this change and so keep raising your concerns/feedback which i can pass to the team.

We have made no secret of the fact that we know we are due for some big itemization changes to address a variety of issues around gearing.

Please keep telling us what you would like to see in the future from gearing in swtor. We will continue to gather feedback and as we get into the next year, we will have active conversations with you about future gearing plans.

Bigger itemization changes will come and we will definitely talk through them with you when they get here (not soon™).

Gotcha.

Ossus gear is not for ALTs or Legacy.

Edited by jimmorrisson

I know this is going to sound rude, but isn't shouting "Stop messing with gearing" all the time not clear enough?

-eric

I'm glad there will be changes in the future but I'd really like to know why this was an intended change. I mean there must have been some reasoning behind it, right? What was the goal here?

Also for the future it'd be nice if major, but not obvious, changes like this were actually announced or posted about. We found out about it on PTS just by testing it out, but if we weren't able to play with it on PTS and I had bought a piece specifically to move the mod/enhancement to another piece and it suddenly didn't work anymore I'd have been pretty annoyed. Unless I'm forgetting something this wasn't posted about on the PTS forums or in the patch notes at all, and it doesn't become obvious until you've already pulled the mod/enhancement out.

Personally I don't find this a satisfying change. The ability to swap non-armoring modifications around allowed us the "consolation prize" of being able to improve or otherwise optimize the worst modifications in our other items if we happened to get duplicate pieces that we don't need. It made the RNG element a lot more palatable. For longterm enjoyment of the progression system, I think reversing this change is a must.

Exactly this. Part of the enjoyment of the late game is that once I have a full set of whatever the top tier gear happens to be, there is still a point to getting more gear just so I can tweak it to get the best performance, or if I still can't use it directly I can at least pass the parts to alts.

If you are going to severely limit the options for optimizing gear by moving mods and enhancements around then why even have moddable gear at all? - Note: I am not advocating that you do this.

-eric

Seriously, don't you ever learn, Bioware devs?

These two items have crept in again and again when you introduced new gear tiers or systems over the years. The reaction was always the same and you had to go back changing them later (hopefully this time as well - although back then you would usually say 1. was unintended).

It's mind boggling that you don't ensure such things don't creep up again and always try to pull a fast one on us. It's Groundhog's Day all over again.

Then again, 1. is likely a bug as well since it creeps in again and again, and whereas you acknowledged it as such the previous times it happened, this time you just decided to call it "intended" due to lazyness or professional inability to fix such things.

Needless to say, these changes are bad and will be badly received by the community. Here is why:

1.a. People like to at least be able to use the mods, enhancements, etc. from duplicate pieces they get due to bad gambling RNG luck in this game and since you don't ensure one doesn't get the same piece of gear twice, it's just intolerable. Nothing is more frustrating than getting the same armor pieces over and over due to the stupid gearing gambling system! Previously you could at least extract the mods/enhancements and put them in other gear pieces, feeling like you still got a little reward (or as others stated "consolation price"), but now the duplicate gear is useless.

1.b. Your default mod/enhancement stat distribution as usual is bad and not properly balanced for various classes. Thus mixing and matching stuff is required to be playable. This is especially true for tanks (By the way: Where are the long promised tanking improvements in PVP and otherwise anyway? We're still waiting...not as long as for chat bubbles of course, but still...).

2. Good thing that you are considering this a bug. But how long will it take you to fix it? You've done so in the past with other gear introductions as well, surely it can't be that hard?

I see nothing has changed over the past 7+ years, you're still at a complete disconnect from what the player base wants (and you probably don't really care anyway). :(

As usual, you devs will now go on your nice extended "holiday break" and subesquently being pulled towards other projects like Anthem and leave things broken for months. I think I'll go on a very extended "holiday break" from this game and company again and take my money elsewhere. ;)

Edited by Glzmo

-eric

I don't recall this ever being communicated to the players in advance. And even the tool tip is giving incorrect information.

I got a saber from the new content, that the tool tip on the hilt says can be placed in main hand or off-hand. However whenever I try and put it in the main hand I can't and if I unequip and install it turns the weapon into an off hand saber of which I already have one at that level.

If you're changing gear to make it so there is less choice in stat optimization that is one thing but not to have it announced is another. Hell I had to click three yes proceed boxes to start the new content, I get pop ups warning me that I'm going to destroy mods I've left in gear, or if I open a crate its really opened.

And yet upon getting end game gear there is not one pop up saying how it has ultimately had its properties changed and is bugged for the foreseeable future or as is the case the tool tips are completely misleading is all good?

Not that I think dumbing down gear as has been done with every other element of this game from expertise, base class removal, set bonuses, or companions is a good idea. It seems you want to have a game that only offers cookie cutter templates while on the other hand spending significant time on master mode content and epic gear grinds. It seems you are wanting players to work towards becoming less unique and less tailored to their play style while making this harder to achieve.

Edited by Costello

-eric

Making no secret of you being "due for some big itemization changes to address a variety of issues about gearing" does not justify making this and intended change without saying anything whatsover about it!

What's worse, you just created a new "issue about gearing" by making this change consciously.

Also, what more feedback do you need to understand that this is not a good change and that people - from both PvE and PvP - will suffer from this? Add to that the fact that this new bonuses don't stack with the old ones and you have a very big mess to fix.

-eric

Stop thanking us for feedback you don't listen to and start fixing what you broke - intentionally or not!

And please, stop saying things like "we will definetely talk through them with you" because we all know you won't. You'll just give us bits and pieces, will not listen to our feedback about them and then bring around changes that will make everyone's life that much harder.

Why do you insist on talking about being more open with the changes you're gonna make to the game when you never do - and you take ages to fix stuff, if you ever do - I'll never understand.

Just do everyone a favor and stop lying. No one believes you anymore.

I'd just like to give my input as a relatively new endgame PvE player. I've played this game casually since launch, but around August I finally worked up the courage to try out group content. Seriously, I had barely even touched a HM flashpoint until then because of social anxiety or something I guess. Now I do HM ops regularly and I'm still improving day by day.

I'm still learning to balance my gear, but it's been really fun and worthwhile working it out. SWTOR happens to also be my first and only MMO, so I didn't know how to do these things before. I'd be really sad to see gear optimization go.

1 - Please keep telling us what you would like to see in the future from gearing in SWTOR. We will continue to gather feedback and as we get into the next year, we will have active conversations with you about future gearing plans.

Please do not tell us that you do not know what the Players really want. This discussion is not new. What do you want to hear or to read that has not been already said or written?

If you are planning to make changes to the gearing System you should discuss this matter beforehand and not after the changes went live.

Bioware got a lot of Feedback from PTS Users, including Gearing and Bugs and now you want to hear from us want we want to see in the Future?!?

Sry. I don't get it.

Edited by Oeconomicus

Sith Assassin dps gearing for example...

Optimized stats:

Alac (1859) - 253 (x5) + 99 (x6)

Acc (735) - 240 (buff) + 99 (x5)

Crit (1891) - 253 (x5) + 41 (x2) + 74 (x2) + 99 (x3) + 99 (buff)

Gloves: 253 crit / from another set - x6 MDC (2 items for x3 MDC)

Boots: 253 crit / from another set - x6 MDC (2 items for x3 MDC)

Pants: 253 crit - x4 MDC

Torso: 253 crit - x4 MDC

Weapon: 253 crit - x4? MDC (no official price yet)

Ear: 253 alac - x3 MDC

Implant1: 253 alac - x3 MDC

Implant2: 253 alac - x3 MDC

Head: 253 alac - x3 MDC

Offhand: 253 alac - x4? MDC (no official price yet)

Wrist: x3 MDC

Belt: x3 MDC

46 MDC from 252 > 258

4 MDC per week

11.5 weeks (~3 months / 81 days) of farming

32 MDC to buy 252

4 MDC per week

8 weeks (2 months / 56 days) of farming

78 MDC for the full optimized 258

~5 months (137 days) to get optimized 258 set for non NiM raiders

You also get:

- One 252 item from the one time mission;

- Random 252 from the weekly;

- Really small chance to get 252 from the command crates;

What a grind...

-eric

Intended, but meant to be hidden, like we'd never notice or what Eric? It wasn't in the patch notes and the itemization Bioware picks is absolutely piss poor with absolutely worthless and wasted stats that make ZERO sense at all...what the hell were you guys thinking?