We Need Another Server Merger - Especially with the coming PvP Matchmaking Changes

Hellhog

The issue isn't server merges, it's lack of players due to not having enough content or reasons to keep them engaged.

I see calls for server merges or posts about fixing specific features as if they will fix the state of the game. I personally would rather see them add more servers due to populations increasing and they need more servers to handle the load of players.

This is an MMO first and foremost. No matter how good mechanics of a game are, whether it be the LFG tool, ability to travel, or whatever, it's no fun to play if it's a ghost town. If you can't get people to group with or play with, we all know that its a bad experience.

However with that said the main issue is "content". Thats the only problem. They need to produce more content, things in came that provide a reason for players to flood into the game to increase the overall experience.

I know it's hard for them since they probably have a small dev team compared to other MMOs like WoW. I really hope this changes eventually. I'd rather see a game thrive and grow and needing to add more servers vs taking away more.

That is where I feel their focus should be on. Adding more content, fixing new and outstanding bugs and improving the overall experience of the game. If they do this then players will come back.

If they can somehow get to a place where content is released at regular intervals, whether it be small / large along with bug fixes as it's released things will be better.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not the players who are at fault - it's Bioware and their complete lack of attention to this game. Last years content was anemic at best...this year it's been the same way. I don't know anyone who JUST does PvP...do you? All the people I know, ranked players even, all also do PvE stuff as well...the entire player base has been shrinking, not just PvPers.

By choice I only do PVP...since 5.0 and the terrible introduction of cxp i now do heroics in-between queues but not because I get any pleasure out of it.

The issue isn't server merges, it's lack of players due to not having enough content or reasons to keep them engaged.

I see calls for server merges or posts about fixing specific features as if they will fix the state of the game. I personally would rather see them add more servers due to populations increasing and they need more servers to handle the load of players.

This is an MMO first and foremost. No matter how good mechanics of a game are, whether it be the LFG tool, ability to travel, or whatever, it's no fun to play if it's a ghost town. If you can't get people to group with or play with, we all know that its a bad experience.

However with that said the main issue is "content". Thats the only problem. They need to produce more content, things in came that provide a reason for players to flood into the game to increase the overall experience.

I know it's hard for them since they probably have a small dev team compared to other MMOs like WoW. I really hope this changes eventually. I'd rather see a game thrive and grow and needing to add more servers vs taking away more.

That is where I feel their focus should be on. Adding more content, fixing new and outstanding bugs and improving the overall experience of the game. If they do this then players will come back.

If they can somehow get to a place where content is released at regular intervals, whether it be small / large along with bug fixes as it's released things will be better.

We keep coming back to this. It's the truth. If there isn't a regular stream of content, people don't stick around, regardless of anything else.

When Umbara, Copero and Nathema came out, the population was up again for a few weeks in each case. Whatever one thinks of KOTFE and KOTET, people did check it out and by EA's own annual reports, the game made money.

It's not something that requires a rocket scientist or a marketing expert to figure out: give people stuff to play, and they will come and play it.

Keep them engaged with new content on a regular basis and they'll find reasons to remain active and subscribed.

Give people minimal story crammed into two or three flashpoints a year, give them next to nothing for Ops or PvP or whatever, and they'll drift off.

We keep coming back to this. It's the truth. If there isn't a regular stream of content, people don't stick around, regardless of anything else.

When Umbara, Copero and Nathema came out, the population was up again for a few weeks in each case. Whatever one thinks of KOTFE and KOTET, people did check it out and by EA's own annual reports, the game made money.

It's not something that requires a rocket scientist or a marketing expert to figure out: give people stuff to play, and they will come and play it.

Keep them engaged with new content on a regular basis and they'll find reasons to remain active and subscribed.

Give people minimal story crammed into two or three flashpoints a year, give them next to nothing for Ops or PvP or whatever, and they'll drift off.

Or they could have a major overhaul to make the current content better. Even the bugs weren't fixed.

Or they could have a major overhaul to make the current content better. Even the bugs weren't fixed.

Which would be a substantial waste of time and resources. People are bored with the current content. Other than making all the flashpoints soloable, IMHO there isn't anything much they could do with the existing content that is going to make people come back in droves. People have played that content (again and again and again, since there's nothing new).

One shouldn't have to risk being ganked to do PVE content. I find PvP incredibly upsetting and will not put my characters at risk that way. I would uninstall the game before putting my characters anywhere near PvP.

If you even saw 1 other person on your own faction I would be surprised. Doing things in the pvp instance is like playing a solo game.

Even if you die, nothing happens to you like losing credits or gear. It’s not like other games where you lose stuff if you get killed in OWPVP. All that happens is you die and respawn at starting area. It’s really no different to pve except a player killed you instead.

If this did happen to you, there is of course the option of swapping to the pve instance until the big bad pvper left the instance.

I can 99% guarantee the only reason they were there in the first place was to do heroics or farm mats and not have to share mobs or resources

Edited by TrixxieTriss

If you even saw 1 other person on your own faction I would be surprised. Doing things in the pvp instance is like playing a solo game.

Even if you die, nothing happens to you like losing credits or gear. It’s not like other games where you lose stuff if you get killed in OWPVP. All that happens is you die and respawn at starting area. It’s really no different to pve except a player killed you instead.

If this did happen to you, there is of course the option of swapping to the pve instance until the big bad pvper left the instance.

I can 99% guarantee the only reason they were there in the first place was to do heroics or farm mats and not have to share mobs or resources

Read the post you're responding to again. And again. You're not taking into account the depth of the player's feelings.

In fact, you have tried to rationalize away the person's feelings by giving reasons why it shouldn't be upsetting.

If it is upsetting to that person, it's upsetting.

You have no problem with pvp, some people do. I had a friend that had anxiety attacks when someone would attack her and that was before they separated pvp and pve in their own instances. She wouldn't even pvp to get the dark/light companion when even myself and my boyfriend offered to go with her. She was extremely careful not to use her AOE in places like Orion but yet she still was attacked. She was actually relieved when they split the instances. While you may think it is nothing when someone attacks you some people don't.

Edited by casirabit

I really would uninstall the game or delete all my own characters before having anything to do with PvP or PvP areas, and I will not go into any area with it for any reason. Please respect that.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

You have no problem with pvp, some people do. I had a friend that had anxiety attacks when someone would attack her and that was before they separated pvp and pve in their own instances. She wouldn't even pvp to get the dark/light companion when even myself and my boyfriend offered to go with her. She was extremely careful not to use her AOE in places like Orion but yet she still was attacked. She was actually relieved when they split the instances. While you may think it is nothing when someone attacks you some people don't.

Read the post you're responding to again. And again. You're not taking into account the depth of the player's feelings.

In fact, you have tried to rationalize away the person's feelings by giving reasons why it shouldn't be upsetting.

If it is upsetting to that person, it's upsetting.

Thank you. It is that exactly. I can't go there.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

What gaming company in its right mind would take a game that doesn't even link back to any current Star Wars movies? Were I looking to establish a Star Wars MMO, I'd want to co-brand and tie into promotions as closely as I could for any new movies coming out, not lock myself out of that because the content of the game I purchased is 3000 years prior to anything I'm trying to relate to with current movie releases.

Guess you never played KOTOR. This game is fanfare to Biowares best game of all time and is on nearly every 'Best Games of All Time' list. When Disney realizes the longtime fans have abandoned the current Star Wars they'll most likely start mining Revan. If you want to know how a growing number of fans feel about Disney Wars go on Youtube and check out the channels of:

Voxis Productions

Comic Book Secrets

Mauler

Dishonored Wolf https://youtu.be/1RdK_SktGYE

World Class Bull*******s

Edited by HuaRya
grammar

I really would uninstall the game or delete all my own characters before having anything to do with PvP or PvP areas, and I will not go into any area with it for any reason. Please respect that.

Sorry if I offended you. That wasn’t my intent.

To everyone else who jumped down my throat because you thought I didn’t understand what IoNoN said, it wasn’t a personal attack as you obviously think it was.

I was offering some advise on how you can play content in the game if you prefer a solitary experience or you find you have to wait for respawns to do heroics or farm mats or what ever.

I certainly wasn’t suggesting you go there to pvp or anything. I understood you had reservations about being ganked and was trying to make a bit of a light hearted joke about it to ease your mind (which obviously backfired)

My wife is as intimidated about OWPVP as you are. I had to really encourage her to use the instance and stay in it with her for a week till she realised what I had been saying was true.

Now she only uses the pvp instance because she doesn’t have to wait around for mobs, bosses or mat respawns.

She’s recently asked me why we weren’t using the pvp instance when doing heroics on Drommund Kaas (she’s not used to waiting around or sharing them with people). Which made me smile as I explained that it didn’t have one.

The one and only time she has ever encounter someone in a pvp instance was on Yavin. She didn’t even realise it was a player until she died. She respawned went right back where she had been to continue the mission and he was no where to be found. It was just a random thing and they happen to cross paths.

All I will say is there is this empty instance on nearly every planet where you can play a solo game. So it you ever find yourself over competing with people to get heroics done or get respawns, just remember there is this option.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Sorry if I offended you. That wasn’t my intent.

(snip)

All I will say is there is this empty instance on nearly every planet where you can play a solo game. So it you ever find yourself over competing with people to get heroics done or get respawns, just remember there is this option.

Understood, thank you. The thing is, it really isn't an option for me or for other people like me who cannot and will not put themselves in any area where they are flagged for attacks from other players. There is nothing anyone can do or say or bribe me with in this game that will get me to go anywhere near a PvP instance or activity and that is a hard, non-negotiable no. It is what it is.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

One Word - no.

I don't want one EU Server - the language barrier is to high and I love my german speaking Server.

Same here, i like my french speaking server, even if i tend to turn the chat window off when i really want to play alone and not see what other people have to say.

And seriously if the chat ended up being french, german and english all at the same time, i'd turn it off all the time, never to see what my friends may want to tell me.

Trixxie.... you expect other people to respect your likes and dislikes in this game and listen to your views accordingly, so I would fully expect you to reciprocate the respect.

Trying to persuade other players to not feel the way they do about PvP instances ... is not reciprocal, it's ignoring the fact that some people simply find PvP in MMOs to be distasteful to their gaming experience... regardless of the specific context being discussed. More often though.. players simply want the choice and freedom to play what they want without interference. The whole point in a player having a choice here... is to give players full freedom and choice to pursue their game play in a manner and method that they personally enjoy.

Regardless of the actual activity levels in a PvP instance in the game as it stands today.... some players simply will not willingly enter a PvP instance... because they actually never know if there is a griefing stealthier just waiting for someone to enter a largely empty instance... just so they can get their jollies griefing a player who enters the instance. While I do PvP sometimes with my guild mates.. one thing I refuse to do (and completely understand the person you are trying to lecture) is enter a PvP instance while solo or while focused completely on PvE.

Edited by Andryah

What gaming company in its right mind would take a game that doesn't even link back to any current Star Wars movies? Were I looking to establish a Star Wars MMO, I'd want to co-brand and tie into promotions as closely as I could for any new movies coming out, not lock myself out of that because the content of the game I purchased is 3000 years prior to anything I'm trying to relate to with current movie releases.

What game company in their right mind would want to set a game during the new Disney era?!

^ I agree.

I do think they will be cautious about further merges in the lead up to an Expac and we know there is one in the works. I think even the studio was surprised by the large surge of returning players when 4.0 released and they had to scramble to address it. That said.. they were able to quickly increase the size of several servers... and that is when we learned that all servers were not configured exactly alike in terms of size.. which leads me to believe they are using server technology now that is scalable to some degree.... and that is a good thing for any future surges.

I think it is an overstatement to call 6.0 an expansion. The game has never really had a full expansion. 6.0 will be a minor content bump at most. I am willing to bet 3-4 flashpoints, a pvp map and a 3 boss op over the course an an entire year.

Trixxie.... you expect other people to respect your likes and dislikes in this game and listen to your views accordingly, so I would fully expect you to reciprocate the respect.

Trying to persuade other players to not feel the way they do about PvP instances ... is not reciprocal, it's ignoring the fact that some people simply find PvP in MMOs to be distasteful to their gaming experience... regardless of the specific context being discussed. More often though.. players simply want the choice and freedom to play what they want without interference. The whole point in a player having a choice here... is to give players full freedom and choice to pursue their game play in a manner and method that they personally enjoy.

Regardless of the actual activity levels in a PvP instance in the game as it stands today.... some players simply will not willingly enter a PvP instance... because they actually never know if there is a griefing stealthier just waiting for someone to enter a largely empty instance... just so they can get their jollies griefing a player who enters the instance. While I do PvP sometimes with my guild mates.. one thing I refuse to do (and completely understand the person you are trying to lecture) is enter a PvP instance while solo or while focused completely on PvE.

I already covered this in my follow up post. Please have a read.

You can say whatever you want about OWPvP servers. There is a reason PVP servers die first. Usually it toxic community, or level capped players hanging out in starter zones killing level 10's and then claiming "It's a PvP Server"

So they drive a lot of people away. In Tera it got so bad at Lumberton, (the level 11-20 zone) that on the pvp server they started handing out 3-10 day suspensions for killing lowbies.

You can say whatever you want about OWPvP servers. There is a reason PVP servers die first. Usually it toxic community, or level capped players hanging out in starter zones killing level 10's and then claiming "It's a PvP Server"

So they drive a lot of people away. In Tera it got so bad at Lumberton, (the level 11-20 zone) that on the pvp server they started handing out 3-10 day suspensions for killing lowbies.

This type of player should be banned from every game - they hurt revenue.

The problem isn't the players, even with them being toxic the problem is the game design. I can't comment on Tera, but I can on SWTOR. It was not designed with OWPvP in mind and for it to be successful the game designers need to plan for it from the beginning. Just a couple of things that should be in every triple A MMO:

1. There should always be 2 spawn locations available, giving players a way out of being camped.
  2. There needs to be a penalty when you kill players that are lower level than you.
  3. Ignore lists should not have a size limit and they should be legacy wide.
  4. A responsive customer service. You should be able to report something and have a response within 30 minutes.

Edited by Iliac