New Release Date for Game Update 5.9

KeithKanneg

While I'm annoyed at waiting even longer, it won't kill me to wait. But there really better not be ANOTHER wait after this. I get bored playing the same things over and over and while I love the game, the updates take too long to come out even if it's to add a minor thing or a major thing. Happens when one has been here almost 7 years.

For me personally the next story snippet is already 3 months too late for my enjoyment. I am not excited or looking forward to it at all, just dreading it when I think of it now as I am almost certain it will not be worth the 6-ish months wait. I've done everything except Ops over and over the past 6+ years, I'm just waiting for story now. 6 months has been a little too long, regretting not taking a break like I did once during expansion releases.. for tiny 15 mins of story releases (or less) this time instead.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure they discussed it, and it would have been cool, but 2 issues:

1. Releasing on a Friday is a bad idea, if something breaks it's harder to fix it/stop exploits on a weekend then during the week when everyone is already in.

2. This way we can spend May 4th playing instead of patching, which is also nice. Especially if the patch runs long. Anyone remember the 2 hour small patch last year that took literally the whole day? That would suck on Star Wars day.

They could have planned it to be ready by the 1st May, but promoted it like a “download the game or/and the new patch to be ready for May the 4th”. If they’d also added some promotion for May 4th, it would have been a great marketing tool.

They could have then sent a promotional email out to every player and old players to bring them back.

Just about every game I’ve played, that is still active, sends me promotional or update emails. Swtor is the only game that doesn’t do this. Which is a massive mistake IMO and has probably added to the situation we are in now of just 2 US servers and 1 each of the language servers in the EU.

Bioware seem to have zero interest in promoting this game if it will cost a penny. The only promotion is Twitter (not much there either), Facebook (limited), the load screen :rolleyes:, and their influences people.

I know it costs to send emails, but not that much. That should be the bare minimum they should be doing if they don’t want to pay for “real media” advertising.

Bioware seem to have zero interest in promoting this game if it will cost a penny. The only promotion is Twitter (not much there either), Facebook (limited), the load screen :rolleyes:, and their influences people.

I know it costs to send emails, but not that much. That should be the bare minimum they should be doing if they don’t want to pay for “real media” advertising.

And to be honest the facebook seems to be 90% Cartel Market posts, I think the Influencers are not doing a great job at showing the game in true fashion. It comes down to EA and Disney with the final answers and EA would say no to most of the great ideas that the team may have wanted to design I think 6-8 years for EA is a great ride and most likely it maybe the end for SWTOR in year 7 coming to 8.

Why isn't there a Maintenance notice for this Game Update upon logging into the game? I thought that was a very good thing to do. Not everyone stays up to date on patches, events, etc. Without a doubt there will be people raging on Thursday because they will try to log in but can't because the servers will be down. They will say that they didn't know. Not everyone pays such close attention to what is going on in the game. There isn't even a message on the SWTOR home page under Latest News.

Why isn't there a Maintenance notice for this Game Update upon logging into the game? I thought that was a very good thing to do. Not everyone stays up to date on patches, events, etc. Without a doubt there will be people raging on Thursday because they will try to log in but can't because the servers will be down. They will say that they didn't know. Not everyone pays such close attention to what is going on in the game. There isn't even a message on the SWTOR home page under Latest News.

Yeah my biggest issue honestly is the COMMUNICATION between us and them.

I know this is a DHB, as most of our complaints are, but sheesh. The information ought to be disseminated consistently via one way so people know where to look for game changes, updates, etc.

I don't like having to go look up some obscure video of an interview that the studio did just to hear what their plans are for the game. It's ok to do videos, but at least let people know there's a video out then...

I just wish they'd use the forums more for communications. It's their official site!

This thread certainly falls under the 'damned if you do damned if you don't' category. Used to be the same exact whining except then it started off with, 'the devs never communicate with us'. I will join those who have said thanks for the update.

^^ /echo this.

Yeah my biggest issue honestly is the COMMUNICATION between us and them.

I know this is a DHB, as most of our complaints are, but sheesh. The information ought to be disseminated consistently via one way so people know where to look for game changes, updates, etc.

I don't like having to go look up some obscure video of an interview that the studio did just to hear what their plans are for the game. It's ok to do videos, but at least let people know there's a video out then...

I just wish they'd use the forums more for communications. It's their official site!

I also wish that they'd primarily use the forum for their main method of communication. I think that, for the most part, they do (but I don't really pay attention to the other sites they use so I wouldn't personally know).

However, I also recognize that they may want to get information from as broad an audience as possible, and since this site is, as far as posting goes, restricted to subscribers, they need to look elsewhere to get information from F2P players.

I also wish that they'd primarily use the forum for their main method of communication. I think that, for the most part, they do (but I don't really pay attention to the other sites they use so I wouldn't personally know).

However, I also recognize that they may want to get information from as broad an audience as possible, and since this site is, as far as posting goes, restricted to subscribers, they need to look elsewhere to get information from F2P players.

Right, I agree they ought to use as many outlets as they can to get their info out but they should at least be consistent and use one method for all information.

If they want to push out info about the game using many other platforms that's great but it just seems sometimes important stuff is dropped in obscure places.

Plus my favorite thing to harp on, I feel they could do a better job communicating with us on the forums. If pressure is released often and over time, then it's less likely to build and blow up.

That's how I view the extreme backlash of the players...

I can't help but think if they addressed concerns or simply dropped in from time to time to talk about other things besides bad stuff people would be less likely to flip out when the studio does communicate with us.

The studio tends to sit and wait then give lengthy calculated responses when the players flip over some poorly received game change.

Even just a "hey we hear you, let us look things over" right after a problem occurs would go a long way. Usually what they do is wait 3-5 days then do this. They wait far too long... Then, it takes them another 10-14 days for them to "monitor" the situation... And by this time the situation has reached a boiling point.

^^ /echo this.

I'm amazed at the naivete of some folks troglodytic posts.

Rule 1. The patch will always be delayed. BWA should prob just say "our target date for 5.x is...."

Rule 2. There will be bugs. There always is.

Rule 3. There won't be enough new content. You'll be bored in a week - if that.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

Hi everyone,

One key learning this past year is not to release a Game Update if it’s not ready. We pushed really hard to be ready for next Tuesday, but we uncovered a couple of items we want resolved. To do that, we need a bit more time including this weekend to make sure our fixes are solid and ensure you have the highest quality play experience possible.

We decided to give ourselves an extra couple days and release Game Update 5.9: The Nathema Conspiracy on Thursday, May 3, 2018. Just in time for May the 4th!

Also, we will be providing a minor update on May 22 (Game Update 5.9.1) which includes the Nar Shaddaa Night Life event. I’m also working on a new Roadmap that provides you with all the details of our upcoming Summer events and overall direction for the remainder of this year. I’ll keep you updated on progress and let you know when we’ll post it on our website.

Thanks for playing Star Wars™: The Old Republic!

Keith---

Please tell me this means you realized just how dumb your nerf to tanks DPS were and are reverting them?

Maybe we could just skip it altogether since the tank changes are still trash?

Or better yet Keith - take this idea. Skip this release altogether and leave tank DPS where it is...your nerf is nonsensical and demonstrates a severe lack of understanding of what the issue is. You're making the game WORSE...AGAIN...REPEATEDLY!

Or better yet Keith - take this idea. Skip this release altogether and leave tank DPS where it is...your nerf is nonsensical and demonstrates a severe lack of understanding of what the issue is. You're making the game WORSE...AGAIN...REPEATEDLY!

Bioware Austin - Making Games Worse Since 2006.

All The Best

Hi everyone,

One key learning this past year is not to release a Game Update if it’s not ready. We pushed really hard to be ready for next Tuesday, but we uncovered a couple of items we want resolved. To do that, we need a bit more time including this weekend to make sure our fixes are solid and ensure you have the highest quality play experience possible.

We decided to give ourselves an extra couple days and release Game Update 5.9: The Nathema Conspiracy on Thursday, May 3, 2018. Just in time for May the 4th!

Also, we will be providing a minor update on May 22 (Game Update 5.9.1) which includes the Nar Shaddaa Night Life event. I’m also working on a new Roadmap that provides you with all the details of our upcoming Summer events and overall direction for the remainder of this year. I’ll keep you updated on progress and let you know when we’ll post it on our website.

Thanks for playing Star Wars™: The Old Republic!

Keith---

Super - Simply more time for Subscribers to give up on you and this game!

The broken Conquest implementation is just indicative of the general poor state of development (or the lack thereof) going on over there. Yeah! Please put it off until you actually FIX something!. Oh yeah! Playing as a Tank is just about void of fun! Between that and the Conquest debacle you just about screwed everything up...

Oh! My bad! Cartel market looks great.

Horrible! What this has turned into.

Edited by Raytal

At risk of opening a can of worms here, question:

What does this do to conquest? It resets tomorrow. So do we now have to go another week before anything changes? I assume the points won't magically change on Thursday?

For the record, I would rather wait for a less buggy product.

Well it's not too late to join the party.

I did glance through the thread and saw no one merely asking. Despite my normal forum presence that is a genuine question and I hoped asking without being a jerk might have a chance at eliciting a response.

Probably not, but shot in the dark eh

Edited by KendraP

At risk of opening a can of worms here, question:

What does this do to conquest? It resets tomorrow. So do we now have to go another week before anything changes? I assume the points won't magically change on Thursday?

For the record, I would rather wait for a less buggy product.

This is a good question.

Seeing we are human and your superiors, we demand an answer ServerDroid! You serve us, don't forget that! :)