Compassion, Healing or Love for the Broken Dark Princess: Vaylin Appreciation <3

JakRoanin

Okay, which one of you of you caused this? ...

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=945805

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=945807

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=945606

... step forth to receive your new sacrificial dagger and robes! :D

I'm reasonably sure at least one of those was my doing, because the specific arguments posted were a direct response to something I said in the "something should be done" thread. The second looks to relate to this thread's title, which is kind of funny, since our gracious OP doesn't want her back, either. The third? No idea. I'm just trying to stay away for the time being.

I probably took the question too seriously.

Edited by gamephil

The blast should have vaporized me.

There was only one explanation for her survival: Vaylin must have used the Force to shield them both from the worst of the explosion.

But why? So she can kill me later with her own hands? Or was she only trying to save herself, and I was just close enough to get caught up in her shield. And where is Vaylin now?

She knew her daughter was still alive; on some level Senya would have sensed her death. But even shielded by the Force, the blast would have been strong enough to leave Vaylin disoriented and weakened. Vulnerable and fearing for her life, she might have fled.

What do you Vaylineers think of this part of the short story? What do you think happened?

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20161117

Edited by Eshvara

What do you Vaylineers think of this part of the short story? What do you think happened?

All things considered, I think Vaylin acted to protect herself and Senya benefited from it. I can't see the way it's written any other way, really. It's striking to me that she never considered the possibility that a fragmented and confused mind might have simply hesitated to actually kill her own mother, or even reflexively act to save her, even if only for a moment. They were pushing that narrative even then, in my opinion to the detriment of what could have been a more interesting character in Vaylin and a more interesting dynamic with Senya.

I think they were trying to set up the whole "even her mother stopped believing in her" thing. And the problem for me is that it says more about Senya than about Vaylin. That she didn't even consider that, even if ultimately proven wrong. It sets my teeth on edge.

Edited by gamephil

All things considered, I think Vaylin acted to protect herself and Senya benefited from it. I can't see the way it's written any other way, really. It's striking to me that she never considered the possibility that a fragmented and confused mind might have simply hesitated to actually kill her own mother, or even reflexively act to save her, even if only for a moment. They were pushing that narrative even then, in my opinion to the detriment of what could have been a more interesting character in Vaylin and a more interesting dynamic with Senya.

Somehow that never crossed my mind. Interesting. :)

When I read this for the first time I actually thought she was going to be saved as well.

Edited by Eshvara

Somehow that never crossed my mind. Interesting. :)

When I read this for the first time I actually thought she was going to be saved as well.

Yeah, me too. Sometimes, at least, I kind of always figured Vaylin was going to die, she has too many traits of characters that get killed off, but after my first read of the story I allowed myself a bit of hope.

That opinion of the story came from looking back at it with hindsight. I would have sworn up and down that Senya thought three things: saving the kill for later, her living was an accident, and maybe, just maybe, her daughter had saved her. That would have gone with the title, Mother's Hope. But it just wasn't there.

Edited by gamephil

Yeah, me too. Sometimes, at least, I kind of always figured Vaylin was going to die, she has too many traits of characters that get killed off, but after my first read of the story I allowed myself a bit of hope.

Yeah, same here.

When I think about it, it must have been painful for Vaylin in some way, when Arcann chose his mother over her. While she seemed like she was looking for the best chance to stab Arcann in the back, she stayed loyal to him and did whatever he said. I don't know exactly how deep their relationship went as not much is shown, but even for her as she is or was, it couldn't have been easy. She's been betrayed, abandoned and basically let to die by everyone she once trusted.

That can't be easy for anyone with some sort of humanity. I know she has been shown to have very little of it, there were still some blips of it in kotxx

https://memepedia.ru/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/%D1%88%D0%B0%D0%B1%D0%BB%D0%BE%D0%BD-%D0%B7%D0%B0%D0%B4%D1%83%D0%BC%D1%87%D0%B8%D0%B2%D1%8B%D0%B9-%D0%B3%D1%80%D0%B8%D1%84%D1%84%D0%B8%D0%BD.jpg Hmm... good question...

Heavy sword or double axe will approach? And dont't forget about an altar for sacrifices:D

#Arcann,Nathema&Vaylin

Edited by Blackvinils

I'm reasonably sure at least one of those was my doing, because the specific arguments posted were a direct response to something I said in the "something should be done" thread. The second looks to relate to this thread's title, which is kind of funny, since our gracious OP doesn't want her back, either. The third? No idea. I'm just trying to stay away for the time being.

I probably took the question too seriously.

PHIL?! :eek:

Now I have to make a long winded post about these souls being lead a stray by the venomous tongue of Esne! Phil! :eek:

As punishment, you're robe cleaning privileges will be taken from you this week!

When I think about it, it must have been painful for Vaylin in some way, when Arcann chose his mother over her. While she seemed like she was looking for the best chance to stab Arcann in the back, she stayed loyal to him and did whatever he said. I don't know exactly how deep their relationship went as not much is shown, but even for her as she is or was, it couldn't have been easy. She's been betrayed, abandoned and basically let to die by everyone she once trusted.

That can't be easy for anyone with some sort of humanity. I know she has been shown to have very little of it, there were still some blips of it in kotxx

IDK, it is hard to understand what writers meant.

I think that Vaylin had some affection for Arcann – indulgent, someone to talk to, “he understands/appreciates/do not run for cover then he sees me”, “can kill him if I want, but I do not want now” type. Almost like one of THAT cats think of their pet humans (minus the kill part, plus the ear rubs) :p.

Other then that? No idea. Vaylin was despribed as predator. Who knows what sets her off?

As for the short story part – IIRC, Vaylin mentions she spared Senya, so mother can lead her to Arcann. But! Vaylin was supposed to be able to sense people very well, how she missed Arcann being around? Writing have to be consistent for a reason -_-.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=945805

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=945807

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=945606

Now it's Vaylin turn, huh?

And I do not think that anyone had to provoke that one. Some people just like to be perpetually offended :rolleyes:.

Edited by RandomName_Ru

That opinion of the story came from looking back at it with hindsight. I would have sworn up and down that Senya thought three things: saving the kill for later, her living was an accident, and maybe, just maybe, her daughter had saved her. That would have gone with the title, Mother's Hope. But it just wasn't there.

Going from these trailers ...

... (don't recall what came out first) I thought Vaylin was saving herself and Senya (presumably for later) or she might of had a change of heart during that moment, doesn't that end with her simply leaving? and Senya thinking she must have hurt herself in the explosion and fled?

It wasn't me, but I don't have the dagger or robes yet? or they awesome looking and fancy?

Sorry, the Zakuulan Postal Droids are being harassed by those inspired by the words of Firebrand. Expect a delay on all cult related items.

This is due to the lack of haloperidol.:cool:

(The Order of Vaylin does not condone the use of drugs ... unless it's steroids, in which case, use lots of drugs!)

Drats, i vote your delivery service goes on the sacrificial altar next then!

Shhh ... remember what happened when the fleet lost contact with Vaylin and went on a rampage? People thought what happened next was because no one was on the throne, if people learned the truth, it was your typical Zakuulan postal strike ... we'd all be doomed! :eek:

What the haloperidol?:eek::eek::eek:

#Arcann,Nathema,Vaylin

Medication to calm.:D

I think Vaylin and the plot of KOTET sacrificed because of players' dissatisfaction and resource savings. The story of Vaylin was greatlycurtailed, as does KOTET. Perhaps, it was originally planned that Senya saves her entire family. But after the failure of KOTFE, the developers were able to somehow finish only Arcann's rescue, and Vaylin simply remained a "villain for beating."

Edited by MrJunay

I thought Vaylin was saving herself and Senya (presumably for later) or she might of had a change of heart during that moment, doesn't that end with her simply leaving? and Senya thinking she must have hurt herself in the explosion and fled?

Considering that the person that wrote the short was also largely responsible for Chapter 8 of KotET, Drew K,, I have no doubt that Vaylin was being entirely awful. Can't have any humanizing moments for her. I just thought not giving Senya that moment of hope was a very odd decision, especially since not long after that is the whole "You've better than this" comment.

Considering that the person that wrote the short was also largely responsible for Chapter 8 of KotET, Drew K,, I have no doubt that Vaylin was being entirely awful. Can't have any humanizing moments for her. I just thought not giving Senya that moment of hope was a very odd decision, especially since not long after that is the whole "You've better than this" comment.

KOTFE Senya wasn't KOTET Senya, I'm not sure what the hell happened to her.

I think Vaylin and the plot of KOTET sacrificed because of players' dissatisfaction and resource savings. The story of Vaylin was greatlycurtailed, as does KOTET. Perhaps, it was originally planned that Senya saves her entire family. But after the failure of KOTFE, the developers were able to somehow finish only Arcann's rescue, and Vaylin simply remained a "villain for beating."

Maybe. It felt to me as though their fates, and the choice in them for two out of three, were set early on. The rushing and lack of resources just made it awful rather than changed it. But who knows, aside from the people involved?

Well, OK, Vaylin's was always going to be awful, but reusing the Nathema screams as she's impaled? I was not ready, nor was I ready for not offering her a chance at the end after allowing her at least as awful brother to be saved.

Edited by gamephil