Compassion, Healing or Love for the Broken Dark Princess: Vaylin Appreciation <3

JakRoanin

• 1 month later...

So, now that date nights are upon SWTOR, I've been thinking about how a hypothetical date night with Vaylin would go. Who knows if it will ever happen but it's fun to think about. I think it should definitely take place on Alderaan as she had some pictures of it and this can be an opportunity for her to spend some time there. I could imagine it being different whether she's on the path to redemption or her dark side self. Could be some sight-seeing and practicing force powers in the forest or causing chaos among the people if she's still evil. At any rate, Alderaan would be a nice place for her to heal.

Now, I'll say it again I think Vaylin's ending was the only logical one. But if they do bring her back. They really need a deep dive into how her mind is repaired, and give her the agency to just live her life. I hope she has more choices than, Join us, die, or disappear.

11 minutes ago, JakRoanin said:

Now, I'll say it again I think Vaylin's ending was the only logical one.

Genuine question, why so opposed to people having the option?

It's true that the writers more likely set up for Vaylin to be tragic but ultimately someone you can't help while Arcann still has a chance if you let him. But for starters, boxing a character into a single outcome that remains the same no matter what you choose is a design choice that isn't fitting for an RPG, it's much more interesting to write various paths for players to pick and to have choices that matter. And we know people have a lot of issues about how both Vaylin and Arcann were written(not their concepts themselves, but more related to execution). There are many suggestions people were giving in regards to how Vaylin's story could go other than death, you may not think they're realistic, but there are a lot of choices that are readily available in the game where people would say the same. 

21 minutes ago, JakRoanin said:

But if they do bring her back. They really need a deep dive into how her mind is repaired, and give her the agency to just live her life. I hope she has more choices than, Join us, die, or disappear.

Yes, I think it can make for an interesting and nuanced story. I think the most realistic outcome would be an eventual switch to her being an anti-hero of some sort, someone who's ruthless and cares about herself the most, but is not actively malicious and can at times support noble causes when she feels like it.

Maybe she'll play a part in whatever happens to Zakuul? Koth went there to stop Exchange if he's alive and it seems like it really went downhill since Nathema Conspiracy. Hopefully they sent him off to set up a future arc and not just to explain away his absence if he's still in the Alliance but you never know with this game.

On 9/14/2021 at 1:29 AM, DjiiniTwo said:

I'd just like to remind all you thirsty mfers that Vaylin was clearly shown to have been evil long before Valkorion did a single damn thing to her mind.

Don't stick ya D in crazy.

Also, this is one hell of an old post of course but sorry, I didn't check the forums back then lmao.

There is a 'word of god' on whether Vaylin was evil or not.

Vaylin's Conditioning – Codex entries – Jedipedia.net's SWTOR Database

This is the latest released codex entry on her and it says pretty explicitly that it was Valkorion who turned her into a monster. It also says that she was mentally unstable and had violent tendencies before conditioning, and that is sometimes used to signal some "demon child" trope in media, but this isn't the case here. Putting those two together seems like she had issues that could be helped with proper care and guidance, which she sadly didn't receive because of Valkorion.

This makes her a complex person, not the evil from birth caricature.