"Launcher is being updated. Please wait"

RoosterV

Yes, of course they do.

http://www.swtor.com/info/faq

You would certainly expect some reduced functionality with base system requirements. You would not expect to be unable to log in at all.

My unsupported OS is fully upgraded. Windows XP, on the other hand, is a supported OS.

If Bioware wants to stop supporting some of their loyal customers, that's up to them. They should, of course, announce this in advance, not just hotbreak an entire OS. That's obviously an accident, not a design goal.

With such a selfish set of statements (screw people who can't or won't upgrade, I could potentially perceive a small benefit if they threw you under the bus, so do it!), trust us, you don't want us to be honest with you.

Requirements can change without notice, look at how often the site info is updated. LoL

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14223/windows-xp-end-of-support

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/22882/windows-vista-end-of-support

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

Selfish? When I'm stating facts and the progression of technology and security?

Example:

https://communities.intel.com/thread/113973

New tech but it wasn't a W10 update that broke it but a MS Visual C++ service pack update that missed the SR300 camera driver.

New launcher? Good chance it has a similar update inside that is incompatible with legacy operating systems, thus stay current and you'll have fewer conflicts. Explain how this is being selfish.

Oh please do. I'd rather have honest reponses and discussions than someone blowing smoke. But I don't let peanut gallery comments impact my life. I'm a bad in-game and troll on the forums.

And I'm hungry.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reposted here to help others having this issue:

OK I fixed it:

I had to uninstall SWTOR, hunt down every embedded file throughout the entire PC and format that hard drive to rid me of several undeletable SWTOR files.

Then I downloaded fresh and got my game back, took awhile, but worth it.

And now I only have the necessary files for the game and not all that older stuff cluttering up my PC.

Oh! the game launched initially as a little square in the upper left corner of my screen as well as tanking my resolution. Simple ALT + ENTER to bring the window up and enlarge from there. Then set prefferences in the game after it launches.

Edited by Thlaylie

Maybe we can just skip to the part where you guys tell us SWTOR won't be supporting XP and Vista anymore. I mean the reason Blizzard stopped supporting them is because of whatever's going on with security certificates in October on XP and Vista.

This is actually useful info. I did not know this.

I guess that I had better finish the main story for Starcraft 2 soon.

(And for those of you wondering, the difference here is that Blizzard announced this in advance. Sure, it sucks for a game that I primarily played in Single-Player but, at least, I wasn't blindsided by it. If SWTOR made a similar announcement, there would be a lot less people yelling.)

This is actually useful info. I did not know this.

I guess that I had better finish the main story for Starcraft 2 soon.

(And for those of you wondering, the difference here is that Blizzard announced this in advance. Sure, it sucks for a game that I primarily played in Single-Player but, at least, I wasn't blindsided by it. If SWTOR made a similar announcement, there would be a lot less people yelling.)

When Star Trek Online dropped WinXP and DX9 support, they announced it in advance many months earlier, plus they put a warning popup on the game launcher 6-7 weeks before the cut-off date. That way people had time to upgrade, or -- if they couldn't for whatever reasons -- knew it was coming.

ok, so this is my third day not not being able to log in. any updates on this issue? No "fix" has worked for me thus far.

Using the old launcher should absolutely have worked, if you renamed the folders specified and correctly entered the JSON string.

When Star Trek Online dropped WinXP and DX9 support, they announced it in advance many months earlier, plus they put a warning popup on the game launcher 6-7 weeks before the cut-off date. That way people had time to upgrade, or -- if they couldn't for whatever reasons -- knew it was coming.

There are numerous launcher issues this week, and not all appear to be directly related to which OS a player is running, but none of it in any way indicates that Bioware is walking away from XP and Vista support. I'm more of a mind that they are looking for a way to get past the certificate problems introduced by Microsoft such that they do not have to formally declare an EOL for XP and Vista for SWTOR.

They do need to put more effort into stabilizing the launcher application as we seem to have issues just about every time they release an updated version. It's generally not easy to tell what the launcher update process is doing... as it appears very cryptic in it's behavior, and hence hard to troubleshoot when something goes wrong. Thankfully, they do not update the launcher often..... but that too is a two edged sword as players are not exposed to it enough to be aware of how it behaves or misbehaves.

Edited by Andryah

There are numerous launcher issues this week, and not all appear to be directly related to which OS a player is running, but none of it in any way indicates that Bioware is walking away from XP and Vista support. I'm more of a mind that they are looking for a way to get past the certificate problems introduced by Microsoft such that they do not have to formally declare an EOL for XP and Vista for SWTOR.

And since there was no such warning from BW, and Eric asked for logs to be sent to support, clearly means this was unintended, and SWTOR still supports XP and Vista. We're in agreement here. This isn't a "nasty surprise" for older Win users.

I can get the launcher to reset but no matter what I do nothing seems to stop it from trying to update again. Even renaming / removing the bitraider and patch folder doesnt help apparently..

edit: finally got it working with help from a friend, somehow the launcher settings file got an extra .settings added so when i renamed it worked fine.. lol jeez

Edited by Kel-Valar

I can get the launcher to reset but no matter what I do nothing seems to stop it from trying to update again. Even renaming / removing the bitraider and patch folder doesnt help apparently..

edit: finally got it working with help from a friend, somehow the launcher settings file got an extra .settings added so when i renamed it worked fine.. lol jeez

Same problem here. Re-installed old launcher but launcher keeps trying to update then gets stuck. Renamed bitraider and patch folder but everytime i use launcher a new bitraider and patch folder appear. Looked for an extra .settings... can't find it. Hope there is a fix for this today...been 4 days so far and we have received no word from devs about a fix.

If you open launcher.settings and look for the string skip_self, you should find that string. If you don't find that string, add it under bitraider_disable (it doesn't need to be under bitraider_disable, but this will keep it in the right section).

Also make sure Windows is not set to hide file extensions, which I think it does by default?

Spent 30 minutes on phone with customer service.They were clueless about the real issue and just walked me through the same steps i already tried before telling me thats all they can do right now and if I have any other issues...OTHER ISSUES!!!!,SERIOUSLY I CAN NOT GET IN GAME...is that not issue enough.Any other mmo would of rolled back to before the issue until it was resolved.Try putting some of the energy you guys put into twitter posting all the fun things going on and actually help the paying customers who can't even play the game they are paying for!!!!!!!!

• Dev Post

Alright folks, here is the current status from the team. Since Microsoft has dropped support for both Windows XP and Vista, it has been very challenging for us to work through a solution with them. Separately, the team is working to try to offer a solution for those of you who are still unable to play. Unfortunately, right now that is still not in place.

We apologize to those of you who are in that state, we are trying to arrive at a solution as soon as we can.

-eric

What do people honestly expect running operating systems that are end of life with their developer.

I think people should be bloody grateful you are doing what you guys can to get this fixed, these people need to upgrade their systems to supported systems - running end of life systems is at your peril as these people are learning.

So the issue is only with XP and Vista,and all other OS's are working fine? All I needed to know what my problem was.I have been subbed 3 years and never had an issue so why should I be bloody grateful they all of a sudden i cant log into a game i been pumping money into in more ways than sub for 3 years? Edited by Vitecus

I just need to know which OS's are working

7 and 10. But honestly, if your rig is still running XP you'll have to upgrade the hardware just to run the new OS. You'll be better off with a new machine in the long run.

Edited by kodrac

Thanks,Im on Vista but I checked system requirements and i can actually run 10.Just paid bills so money a little tight,but I will happily download 7 if that will give me a fix for a year.I just have to find a good site to download an OEM. Edited by Vitecus

So the issue is only with XP and Vista,and all other OS's are working fine? All I needed to know what my problem was.I have been subbed 3 years and never had an issue so why should I be bloody grateful they all of a sudden i cant log into a game i been pumping money into in more ways than sub for 3 years?

You should be grateful because they are spending their time to try fix a problem for an unsupported operating system that you should have moved away from once the company who makes it stopped supporting it.

It's YOUR fault you didn't upgrade your system once microsoft started officially supporting it.