"Launcher is being updated. Please wait"

RoosterV

How did you make it stop from patching the new launcher? I am using Wine as well on my Mac and the game worked perfectly until the new launcher patch.

Here's the source

And relevant posts that helped me:

There may be a workaround for players getting the "Certificate authentication failed" error. For this, you will go back to the previous launcher and prevent the launcher from updating to the current version.

Big caveat: This is, at most, a temporary fix. Once the certificates expire in October 2017, the old launcher will no longer work. Also, even before that, there will likely be a patch that renews the certificate on the swtor.exe process, and then you'll get the same error message when trying to start the game.

Make sure there is no launcher.exe process running; if there is, kill it in Task Manager.

Edit the "launcher.settings" file in your SWTOR folder, add the following line:

, "skip_self_patch": true

Download the old launcher here and extract all files into your SWTOR directory.

If you don't trust us, you can also use the old Launcher Repair Utility to restore the launcher to the previous version, but make a backup of your launcher.settings file beforehand because that tool will reset it.

Since we are not using Wine, we cannot test whether this works, so please let us know if it works for you.

If you are getting any issues or if the launcher is fixed, you can just delete the "skip_self_patch" line and the launcher should automatically update to the current version the next time you run it.

Also:

Using the latest wine 2.13-staging, I can confirm this works. It also works on the other wine's I tested, 2.12-staging, and 1.7.53-steam_crossoverhack.

In addition to the steps above, I also had to delete the /bitraider and /patch folders before running the old launcher.

I added that line as the second line, after my login name.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the source

Thanks, this worked for me! (wine staging 2.10, FC25, never any bit raider)

Whenever Bioware fixes the core issue, I should be good to patch up to a working version. Hopefully this happens before the game can't log in without a patcher update.

For whatever reason I cannot get the skip self patch bit to work :mad:

After one start, the line:

(starts with comma, then space, then the double-quoted part, then colon, then space, then the word true, then carriage return, then line feed)

Was moved from where I left it to underneath the bitraider_disable line (for me "true") and above the "DevLogin" line (empty string). But I think you should be good to put it anywhere?

Also, there's a blurb on the linked page about removing (or in my case, I just renamed them) the /bitraider and /patch subdirectories. That part seemed easy to miss. I didn't have a bitraider directory, but I did have a patch directory.

For whatever reason I cannot get the skip self patch bit to work :mad:

Stupid question, but did you put it inside the {...} ? You cannot put it at the end of the file, it must be before the final closing bracket.

If you are unsure, you can also copy & paste the whole file contents into https://jsonlint.com/ and click on "Validate JSON", that will check for any syntax errors.

Other than that, what exactly is the problem? What steps did you do and where does it fail? Maybe also post your launcher logs, then we can better help you.

Edited by Jerba

Stupid question, but did you put it inside the {...} ? You cannot put it at the end of the file, it must be before the final closing bracket.

If you are unsure, you can also copy & paste the whole file contents into https://jsonlint.com/ and click on "Validate JSON", that will check for any syntax errors.

Other than that, what exactly is the problem? What steps did you do and where does it fail? Maybe also post your launcher logs, then we can better help you.

:jawa_eek:

Cannot believe I didn't even think of the stupid brackets.... It is now working, thank you all for the help.

Thanks, this worked for me! (wine staging 2.10, FC25, never any bit raider)

Whenever Bioware fixes the core issue, I should be good to patch up to a working version. Hopefully this happens before the game can't log in without a patcher update.

The core issue is that they started to use a SHA256 hashed certificate. This needs to be supported by the crypto provider in the OS and activated either via importing the certificate correctly, or doing the right thing in the code (description earlier in thread).

As for wine, I submitted a one-liner patch to wine-staging (that one-liner is also to be found earlier in the thread, inside a SPOILER tag).

HTH,

SNy

Edited by SNy-lotrolinux

As for wine, I submitted a one-liner patch to wine-staging (that one-liner is also to be found earlier in the thread, inside a SPOILER tag).

I suspect the direction they will want to go is to support the crypto, not disable it. Still, your workaround will be the correct way to do this if Bioware hasn't added back support for the older crypto, or Wine hasn't added support for the newer, soon enough.

I suspect the direction they will want to go is to support the crypto, not disable it. Still, your workaround will be the correct way to do this if Bioware hasn't added back support for the older crypto, or Wine hasn't added support for the newer, soon enough.

I updated the patch to support the crypto (enhanced provider name and type). link to post

You can apply the patch to wine-staging and compile with it yourself and it will work fine (I currently run it). If it gets accepted, you can compile it as-is.

SNy

Edited by SNy-lotrolinux

• Dev Post
I must have missed something before, but I tried the /reddit work-around again this morning and it worked. I'm in game, no problem. Not sure how long before the work-around is broken, but it should help some of us, at least.

Hey folks,

Thank you to everyone who sent us logs overnight, it has been very helpful for the team. It appears that in the vast majority of cases, it is users who are currently using Windows Vista or XP. In either case, we are investigating possible solutions to allow you to get the certs that you need.

Many of you are mentioning the "reddit work-around," this may be a stop-gap solution for now but do know that once the certificate expires on the old launcher you will be unable to play. Again, we are working on a more permanent solution but I wanted to make sure you aware of the impact of the work-around.

More updates as I have them.

-eric

I updated the patch to support the crypto (enhanced provider name and type). link to post

You can apply the patch to wine-staging and compile with it yourself and it will work fine (I currently run it). If it gets accepted, you can compile it as-is.

SNy

Oh! Sweet, thanks. Yea, that sounds like you have it worked out completely already. I'll probably stick with the older launcher instead of building myself, but I'm sure I'll end up with your patched staging over DNF soon enough. Solid, man.

Hey folks,

Thank you to everyone who sent us logs overnight, it has been very helpful for the team. It appears that in the vast majority of cases, it is users who are currently using Windows Vista or XP. In either case, we are investigating possible solutions to allow you to get the certs that you need.

Many of you are mentioning the "reddit work-around," this may be a stop-gap solution for now but do know that once the certificate expires on the old launcher you will be unable to play. Again, we are working on a more permanent solution but I wanted to make sure you aware of the impact of the work-around.

-eric

Wonderful. Thank you for the information.

I'll await the official fix with great anticipation. I'd worked out I needed to add a certificate myself, even managed to google together a way to do it, but lacked the actual certificate I needed :)

Quote:

There may be a workaround for players getting the "Certificate authentication failed" error. For this, you will go back to the previous launcher and prevent the launcher from updating to the current version.

Big caveat: This is, at most, a temporary fix. Once the certificates expire in October 2017, the old launcher will no longer work. Also, even before that, there will likely be a patch that renews the certificate on the swtor.exe process, and then you'll get the same error message when trying to start the game.

Make sure there is no launcher.exe process running; if there is, kill it in Task Manager.

Edit the "launcher.settings" file in your SWTOR folder, add the following line:

Download the old launcher here and extract all files into your SWTOR directory.

If you don't trust us, you can also use the old Launcher Repair Utility to restore the launcher to the previous version, but make a backup of your launcher.settings file beforehand because that tool will reset it.

Since we are not using Wine, we cannot test whether this works, so please let us know if it works for you.

If you are getting any issues or if the launcher is fixed, you can just delete the "skip_self_patch" line and the launcher should automatically update to the current version the next time you run it.

That's what helped me on Vista 64.

Hey folks,

-eric

So BW does support legacy operating systems when their original creators do not?

Sorry all, need to get with the times and upgrade your unsupported OS. Requesting/DEMANDING a developing team to do so is a waste of time and valuable resources. Let's be honest here.

So BW does support legacy operating systems when their original creators do not?

Yes, of course they do.

http://www.swtor.com/info/faq

Processor:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+ or better

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz or better

Operating System:

Windows XP Service Pack 3 or later

RAM:

Windows XP: 1.5GB RAM

Windows Vista and Windows 7: 2GB RAM

You would certainly expect some reduced functionality with base system requirements. You would not expect to be unable to log in at all.

Sorry all, need to get with the times and upgrade your unsupported OS.

My unsupported OS is fully upgraded. Windows XP, on the other hand, is a supported OS.

Requesting/DEMANDING a developing team to do so is a waste of time and valuable resources.

If Bioware wants to stop supporting some of their loyal customers, that's up to them. They should, of course, announce this in advance, not just hotbreak an entire OS. That's obviously an accident, not a design goal.

Let's be honest here.

With such a selfish set of statements (screw people who can't or won't upgrade, I could potentially perceive a small benefit if they threw you under the bus, so do it!), trust us, you don't want us to be honest with you.

Edited by Verain

Just ran into the problem. XP user. Still running into the Launcher issue. Waiting for Official fix.

For those of you who wish to act like an ***: Yes, I do have computers with more modern systems. I just don't game on any of them as I'm moving away from the gaming thing. As this game started with XP compat, it is not unreasonable to expect it to continue working on XP as MMOS typically don't lose older system compatibility for obvious reasons. Even if it were losing XP compat (Something that WoW manages to avoid....Just saying.), an advance announcement would be expected so the XP users could wrap up their characters.

There seems to be a lot of room for improvement with the launcher install/patch items. I run this game on a MacBook Pro, so I expect to have to do a work around or two to get the software to work through wine (because nobody designs for mac apparently) but even so, having to go into game files and rewrite code to get it to work is not ideal.

I'm not a computer game designer. I don't know how this stuff works. I just log in and shoot stuff. But again, it seems odd that to install the game (which I've done 4-5 times since this bug emerged in a vain attempt to fix it) you have to download old launchers and game files. That junk could probably be streamlined, right?

But yeah, MMO. Nothing will ever be fast enough or good enough. I was born in the wrong century. :(

That being said, I really like how the devs communicate with players in this game (no bs - real answers and timetables). I'll be happy to continue playing once this issue is sorted.

Maybe we can just skip to the part where you guys tell us SWTOR won't be supporting XP and Vista anymore. I mean the reason Blizzard stopped supporting them is because of whatever's going on with security certificates in October on XP and Vista. Edited by SirUrza

Just ran into the problem. XP user. Still running into the Launcher issue. Waiting for Official fix.

If it's your main box, consider the fix linked on the reddit thread. You will probably need to do something like that anyway- if they fix the launcher tomorrow, you'll need to somehow unbreak your existing launcher to make it actually grab it, after all.

Hey folks,

We suspect that some of you who are still unable to get into the launcher are dealing with a Windows Certificate issue. We are looking into possible solutions for those of you who are having that issue, especially on older OS such as XP and Vista.

I will pass on more information as I have it.

-eric

I have Windows 8.1 and have the certification issue.

when I try to run the launcher it gives me a "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

Same thing when I try to run the FixLauncher.

This happened immediately after the Launcher patched.

Roll back the launcher.