Galactic Command Gearing Changes, 5.1 and Beyond

EricMusco

•New Character Legacy Perk: Increase all Command XP Earned by 2/4/6/8/10%.

So, will this be a true "Legacy" perk, that you buy once, and it will apply to all characters in your Legacy (like Rocket Boost)?

Or will it be like the other "Legacy" xp boosts, and be purchased through your Legacy, and require certain Legacy level(s) to unlock, but need to be purchased over and over (and over, and over, and ...) for every character?

Edited by Adric_the_Red

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dev Post
So players above Command Rank 300 will have their additional effort wasted, e.g. someone who got 310 Command Crates will only get tokens for 300 ranks?

There will be compensation for players who have gone above 300 crates.

-eric

Galactic Command Gearing Alt-unfriendly

One of the biggest concerns expressed is Galactic Command forces a player into working only on one character. Although that wasn’t our intention, we agree with you.

This is just.... unreal... You implement a ludicrous soul crushing grind, with a very clear intention that should take a really long itme, per character and you didn't anticipate this ?

Did you really expect people to keep playing several characters and to be Tier 1 on all of them for who knows how long ? Seriously ? :rolleyes:

For starters, in 5.1 we are implementing the Legacy-wide currency of Command Tokens, legacy bound boosts you can purchase with Command Tokens, and the legacy perk to speed up leveling. We know that isn’t enough, so we are exploring additional options so that when you are playing any character, there is a way to potentially provide benefit to all other characters in your legacy as well. I have no specifics to share at this time, but I am working to have more details available for our January 26th Livestream.

Please, stop convoluting even further an already messy system. Just make it Legacy wide and be done with it. This is just silly....

And legacy bound boosts bought with Command Tokens.lol... So you burn your command tokens to buy a boost to get command tokens... Sounds exciting.

[*]New currency: Unassembled Components – This currency is a reward for playing Warzones and Galactic Starfighter and can be used to purchase Unassembled Gear Pieces.

[*]Unassembled Component Vendor: On this vendor you can turn in Unassembled Components to purchase a specific Unassembled Gear Piece. You can only purchase Tier 1 Unassembled Pieces in this way. However, you can turn in Tier 1 pieces along with Unassembled Components to upgrade them to Tier 2 and 3 respectively. Refer to this forum post for more details on this vendor.

Since Unassembled Components are being given out for both Warzones and Starfighter, does that mean that there won't be a valor requirement to access the vendor to upgrade gear?

For what it's worth: I couldn't care less for operations and I will not play them anyway. I still haven't played ToS yet, because I have zero interest in this kind of content.

Don't put all your resources on operations now. You might regret it. You need to find a way to give something to everyone.

1 new operation

1 new GSF map

1 new WZ map (or at least one of those two)

Alliance recruitment missions for as many missing companions as possible

This should be your plan until the Autumn. Only like this you can make sure to not lose a certain group of players for good. I know it's tough, but I'm sure it's doable, if you focus. And then in November/December a new story expansion. Don't spend time re-inventing your game again. You will improve the GC system and that's it then. It's not a bad system at all. With the right tweaks, it will eventually round up this game just nicely. It has already brought back life to certain aspects of the game like GSF.

(Just sayin'. If you focus now solely on big group endgame content, you might just get yet another huge ...storm on ze forumz when this update goes live. PvPers and story peeps will be displeased.)

How on earth can you create a system designed to take as long as possible and then be surprised that people cant level alts?

You know exactly how long it is taking the majority of casual players to acquire crates, the idea that you could not grasp that they wouldn't be able to level more than one toon is risible.

Bad design annoys me as a customer, but you know what makes me angry. being lied to.

Edited by Voblat

Hey folks,

Galactic Command Gearing Alt-unfriendly

One of the biggest concerns expressed is Galactic Command forces a player into working only on one character. Although that wasn’t our intention, we agree with you.

-eric

LOOL, you could not care less about what the community desires/wants.

No new ops since 2014, great job listening to us Musca!

Hard to know which one is the best between

* running more than 100 last boss run of the right tier per character, assuming 1/8 chance to get the piece

* leveling an average of 600 command level to get a tier 3 set

* winning thousands of PvP match for the same result

Edited by Nkya

Hey folks,

We will be discussing these very topics in our Livestream next Thursday, January 26, 2017, so come join us!

-eric

Lies .... deceptions .... everywhere!

I don't believe you can provide the community what we want after you so blatantly said gearing is hard ... not sure what one can interpret from that statement ....

[*]New currency: Unassembled Components – This currency is a reward for playing Warzones and Galactic Starfighter and can be used to purchase Unassembled Gear Pieces.

So you're forcing people to play PvP in order to get these? I sure hope you mistakenly left out operations and flashpoints. If this is how the plan is intended to work, the raiders are still screwed.

And with the gear drop chance percentage, the raiders are still screwed.

You're about halfway there to a good gearing system.

But I'm waiting for next week's stream, then we will have a better idea of what we can expect in SWTOR.

The only thing we can expect from streams are more incoming disappointments. Reading the yellow text above proves the devs dont let us down on more disappointing.

Im still shocked that the devs refuse to return to the easy and actually instantly rewarding looting system from classic raiding. You kill a boss, you see instant random loot usably for specific classes and specs. This grinding towards loot based on your level you grinded so far is a mountain of bantha poo.

Eric, just what exactly are you going to do for players who do not do operations or warzones? GC is basically the only system in the game post level 65 mods? How do solo players gear themselves for the master chapters under this system.

I guess same as always: grind the GTN, meaning spend all your gaming time making credits so you can buy those multi-million mods off the GTN.

Ok, its late where I live, so maybe I didn't grasp how magnificent these changes are.

What I get out of it is:

I'll have to play gazillions of warzones to get the gear needed for master difficulty solo content.

On my first alt.

I'll have to play gazillions minus 10% of warzones (or not -this is kinda complicated for "streamlined" system :D) on my alt to get the gear for master difficulty solo content.

Or

I can craft myself out to sell on GTN and get those hundreds of millions for the best mods?

Or

I can leave the game, which I'll probably do.

This dev team is sure weird

Edited by jstankaroslo

The changes listed above are really focused on allowing players to work towards a specific piece of gear. However, we also wanted to allow players to level their alts a bit quicker and so here are some of the changes coming for that:

• [*]New Character Legacy Perk: Increase all Command XP Earned by 2/4/6/8/10%.

By buying all 5 levels, this better be 2 + 4 + 6 + 8 + 10 for a total of 28% because a total of 10% is just insulting.

Hey folks,

• New Character Legacy Perk: Increase all Command XP Earned by 2/4/6/8/10%.
  • New Command XP Boost: This can be purchased with Command Tokens and provides a 15% boost (this boost stacks with the Legacy perk but not the MTX boost). This boost only works per Tier at the following costs:
    • Tier 1 – 20 Command Tokens
    • Tier 2 – 28 Command Tokens
    • Tier 3 – 44 Command Tokens

Care to elaborate on this? You know, putting it into context as a first grader learns it in their first day of class?

Is this 15% boost permanent? Is it a 1 hour pathetic sorry *** buff? Because if so, you expect someone to grind 4 rank at Tier 1 just to get a 1 hour buff that gets them a +15% boost towards their next rank grind?

Also a cxp buff as a character perk? So we are forced to spend 15million credits now if we want to gain 1 crate every 1 hour instead of 1.5 hours? On 1 character out of our 40+ alts? To then receive complete trash garbage as what 99% of the crates contained so far? My character got his first set bonus item at rank 80, and finished Tier 1 with 2 set bonus items... then reached command rank 379 by now and DID NOT get ANY KIND OF boots item containing set bonus. Not a Tier 1, not a Tier 2, not a Tier 3. Thanks for your pathetic grindy, unjust, disgraceful "content" providement. How on earth could ANYONE be stupid enough to release something like this? ARE ALL OF YOU OVER THERE HAVING GAMBLING PROBLEMS? DO YOU THINK EVERYONE ENJOYS GAMBLING AND LOSING ALL THE TIME, WHILE HAVING THE ENTIRE SYSTEM RIGGED BEHIND THEIR BACKS?

HOW CAN YOU NOT GRASP THE GRAVITY OF THE SITUATION (sry, *****how) THAT YOU CREATED? HOW CAN YOU EXECUTE YOUR JOB SO POORLY?

If I'd be this bad in ANYTHING IN MY LIFE, LET ALONE MY PRIORITY WORK, I would seriously consider suicide. But then there you all are, laughing at each others face, picking random meaningless not even funny comments from twitch chat and acting like you are all kings and we should be glad to ever have the chance of kissing your boots.

Simply cannot believe what the world has come to and how people can act in it... but then again, you bunch are those who voted a trump into office....

Edited by Augustus

" large group and MMO content such as daily areas and Operations"

Daily areas? lol get real.

Ops or bust

Let me translate this - they were already making some daily areas, instead of what we actually want. So we get to "enjoy" those :p

" large group and MMO content such as daily areas and Operations"

Daily areas? lol get real.

Ops or bust

Let me translate this - they were already making some daily areas, instead of what we actually want. So we get to "enjoy" those :p

The game sorely needs updating everywhere, including daily areas. We need to see Operations, FPs, and WZs as well.

Operations are not the only thing that has been ignored for 2+ years. And I include WZs (even though we saw one last year) because subscribing to SWTOR should involve seeing at least 1 update to a gametype each year. That's the bare minimum they should meet, and comes nothing close to what other games charging the same subscription do.

How on earth can you create a system designed to take as long as possible and then be surprised that people cant level alts?

You know exactly how long it is taking the majority of casual players to acquire crates, the idea that you could not grasp that they wouldn't be able to level more than one toon is risible.

Bad design annoys me as a customer, but you know what makes me angry. being lied to.

Well said. Very well said. The lies are even more aggravating than the bad design and idiots making decisions.

I guess same as always: grind the GTN, meaning spend all your gaming time making credits so you can buy those multi-million mods off the GTN.

Ok, its late where I live, so maybe I didn't grasp how magnificent these changes are.

What I get out of it is:

I'll have to play gazillions of warzones to get the gear needed for master difficulty solo content.

On my first alt.

I'll have to play gazillions minus 10% of warzones (or not -this is kinda complicated for "streamlined" system :D) on my alt to get the gear for master difficulty solo content.

Or

I can craft myself out to sell on GTN and get those hundreds of millions for the best mods?

Or

I can leave the game, which I'll probably do.

This dev team is sure weird

Honestly, this is the first update where solo players can actually get the set bonus gear. I hate to sound mean but those of us who take the time to do group or more difficult (note i said or not and) should get gear faster because it's often a bigger headache dealing with other people or wiping on the same boss repeatedly.

As someone who soloed this game for a very long time, only doing the occasional sm fp (back when they were a thing), I never really cared about set bonus gear, or gear in general as long as I could kill the things I needed to.

And I have toons at 65 running around in level 10 gear, so the bolster works wonders. Granted I do mostly fp/sm ops/pvp with these toons

Personally I'm glad they listened to the community and made these changes. I do, however, hope that the rate of cxp gain gets examined, that ops become a much better source of cxp, and that the legacy bit gets looked at. I have 24 toons of which I used to use about 6 at hm level (my guardian tank, scoundrel healer, and sage healer and their imperial opposites). Since 5.0 I've only been using the tank in HM. I'm learning to dps with the guardian so I can switch it up occasionally but he's nowhere near hm ready for dps. I'm still running a lot of the old 204 pvp stuff in the dps set too.

In summary: thank you for the changes so far. And please do keep those 3 points in mind.

Why does this matter? Well, gear imbalance is already starting to show in PVP regular matches. Before, in past expansions, the difference between Tier 1 and Tier 2 optimized PVP sets was minimal, and could be made up for by skill until you could afford Tier 2. Now, the gap between entry crafted gear with old set bonuses and people who are pushing high command ranks will be huge and not made up for with skill, particularly when these high command level players group together. The matches end up basically pointless, and you can't queue until they stop as well. It's only January, roughly 1.5 months after 5.0 started, and this has already happened. Can you imagine how it will be in, say, May?

I completely agree with you on this. Let's face it, there are 2 very different types of regular PVPer: regstars like me, and the "hard core" players who not only play more frequently but very often have a significant skill advantage. At the beginning of this season, the playing field was level in terms of gear, and it showed in the matches. Yes, the more skilled won more frequently as you would expect, but not all the time, and more importantly the matches were closer and thus more engaging and fun.

Now we are 6 weeks in, and with the massive grind the dedicated players have been willing or able to endure, the gear disparity is significant, and we are back to lopsided games that are discouraging. I truly believe that the comm system was better from this perspective. Yes, hard cores would have max gear on launch day, but the rest of us would catch up within a month.

The most ironic thing about all of this, is that GC was designed to be casual friendly. And it is - to an extent. It's casual friendly to those who are truly casual, don't really worry about their gear or engage in activities that require end-game gear, but will enjoy the thrill of opening a crate and seeing a legendary piece in there. However, it's not friendly at all to those who seek end-game activities but want to do so at a more casual pace. For those players, GC truly is a frustrating, discouraging grind.

I don't know if 5.1 is going to alleviate this. I'm keeping an open mind for now, and I'm going to give it a genuine go, but the numbers are a little discouraging at first read.

Personally I'm glad they listened to the community and made these changes. I do, however, hope that the rate of cxp gain gets examined, that ops become a much better source of cxp, and that the legacy bit gets looked at. I have 24 toons of which I used to use about 6 at hm level (my guardian tank, scoundrel healer, and sage healer and their imperial opposites). Since 5.0 I've only been using the tank in HM. I'm learning to dps with the guardian so I can switch it up occasionally but he's nowhere near hm ready for dps. I'm still running a lot of the old 204 pvp stuff in the dps set too.

In summary: thank you for the changes so far. And please do keep those 3 points in mind.

Did you actually take the time to do the math that goes with this "fix"? If you did, you wouldn't be so happy with it.